Author Topic: Friendship VS Romance  (Read 8913 times)

Offline celticrose

• Planewalker
  • Beware, There Be Dragons!
Friendship VS Romance
« on: April 10, 2006, 02:11:22 AM »
Greetings,

First may I say, thank-you for your hard work in putting together this mod & sharing
your talent & Xan with us.  ;D

That said, I must ask your assistance. . . .  The romantic in me is having a difficult time
in starting a "romance path" with Xan  ???

I understand that there are 3 paths; bonded, if you had the pleasure of starting said romance in BG1;
 friendship, which I stumbled into; romance, which I can't seem to initiate!!!

Am I choosing the wrong dialog tree in the opening/joining dialog??? I read some where else in this
forum. . . .

Quote: If deaths and very unhappy endings bother you a lot, try the non-bonded path: "(You were little more than travelling companions, but sometimes your eyes met, and everything seemed possible. Perhaps it is your chance to start anew?)" in the joining dialogue. You'll be (unpleasantly?) surprised...

Is this an option in the dialog??? Because if so it's escaping me. . . . . sigh. . . .  :'(

Please, help. . . . . .

CelticRose

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Friendship VS Romance
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 02:40:36 AM »
No problem.

As Readme states, your character must be an elven female (no trouble with that, I hope) and your game - a "Before Spellhold" game(Chapter 2 or 3).
Also, have you slept with Anomen? If so, then, well... no Xan Romance for you in this game, I'm afraid.

If all is well, then, when you meet Xan, you get the following dialogue options:

(Memories of your past flash through your mind.)

1) (You were little more than travelling companions, but sometimes your eyes met, and everything seemed possible. Perhaps it is your chance to start anew?)
2) (You vividly recall the days you spent arm in arm, and nights that followed afterwards. Friends, soulmates and lovers, you were inseparable.)
3) (You knew you could rely on Xan in journeys and battles, but there was no romance in your relationship.)
4) (You killed this annoying elf a year ago. Why in the Nine Hells is he still alive?)
5) (You have never seen this person before.)

Option 1 starts the romance. Option 2 starts the "bonded, post BG1, relationship". Options 3 and 5 are "friendly" options, and Option 4 is - you'll see. :)

Offline celticrose

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 02:57:46 PM »
Hmmmmmmm. . . . . should I be getting this as you say, word for word?? Because if so, I am in trouble. I get dialog such as "What are you doing here?" "Aren't you dead?" (mind you, these are not direct quotes), etc. There has been no "Memories flash through your mind" sort of thing. . . . . .  ???

Is there a "LoveTalk" sort of entry in the global affects? I looked and only saw friendship talks started ( I have ShadowKeeper).

Nothing like a mystery to keep things interesting. . .

Hope this gives you some insight as to were I am going wrong.  ::)

CelticRose

Offline Chimera

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 05:34:53 PM »
Silly question, I know, but your character meets the race and/or stat requirements for the romance, yes? *ducks* Just checking...
Scientists estimate that at current rates of usage, the Earth's supply of naturally occuring exclamation points will be depleted by 2015. Please do your part and conserve.

Offline celticrose

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 09:10:55 PM »
Silly question, I know, but your character meets the race and/or stat requirements for the romance, yes? *ducks* Just checking...

No need to duck  ;D
She is a half-elf with 12 wisdom, 12 charisma

Sigh, just how particular can a guy's tastes be ?!  ;) Maybe it's all my freckles  ::)

Celtic Rose

ming

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 11:20:45 PM »
i think your character has to be a elf.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 12:39:45 AM »
Exactly - half-elves do not get a romance with Xan. I introduced a half-elven option in Baldur's Gate I Romance at Domi's urging, but it wasn't my choice, really. So, no, you have to play an elf to have a romance in Baldur's Gate II.

And no, there're no stat requirements.

Offline Ajnos

• Reticent
  • Planewalker
  • facilis descensus Averno
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 02:01:50 AM »
Exactly - half-elves do not get a romance with Xan. I introduced a half-elven option in Baldur's Gate I Romance at Domi's urging, but it wasn't my choice, really. So, no, you have to play an elf to have a romance in Baldur's Gate II.

I liked the half-elf option.  It made a fun (if contrived) 'excuse to flee into Coran's arms' game. ;)

By the bye, is there a pre-traified version anywhere?  I wish I had the time to play all Xan paths just now, but I would still really like to read them all.  The tra's give me conniptions.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 02:18:14 AM by Ajnos »
There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 03:53:38 AM »
By the bye, is there a pre-traified version anywhere?  I wish I had the time to play all Xan paths just now, but I would still really like to read them all.  The tra's give me conniptions.

I quite understand - I myself have the same problem. The problem is, I ran --traify very early, so my editors would have an easier time with it. But I think I have an old, silent .d version here somewhere; PM me with your e-mail address, if you are really interested. An alternative solution, of course, would be to play it.

Offline celticrose

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 01:00:14 PM »

I liked the half-elf option.  It made a fun (if contrived) 'excuse to flee into Coran's arms' game. ;)

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you  ;D

Such an easy fix!
I realized my msistake last night and after correcting it, have been happily romancing Xan, (or at least trying to, stubborn, isn't he  ;)). I look forward to the other paths as well.
Such a bittersweet romance! Beautiful work I might add, Thank-you Kulyok  ;D

Celtic Rose

Offline celticrose

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 07:02:53 PM »
OOOOOkay, here's a question.
Possible Spolier

My main character has become the slayer (only once), and at the end of the fight with Irenicus Xan drops a bombshell
on her, I'll stay to watch over you, but noooooo, no love :'( Sigh, will he remain a stoic party-pooper or will he in time change or allow
me to change his "Active Romance" from a 3 to at least a 1 ( ???). They were at LT 25 with am active romance at 1. . . . . . . . .Just a thought, did I choose the wrong
thing to say ???

Please soften the heart-break, give her hope in a sea of chaos,

CelticRose

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 01:03:04 AM »
Well, you can always ask him yourself - there are quite a few dialogues and player-initiated options just for the occasion.
LT 25 means you missed only three earlier lovetalks.

Offline celticrose

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 01:10:01 AM »
I did ask, and as time progressed he stated that he feared the slayer too much, etc. He has told me to stop trying, and at one point he even says that he had only been infatuated with me, he never loved me. . . . . . we've gone thru defeating Bodhi, no change. . . . . . . is this the destined pathway for the romance? the only one (bonded not included)????????

CelticRose

Offline celticrose

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 03:01:18 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, read through the "I Love Xan" Post. . . . . . . I have a feeling that there in lies my answer (?)

CR

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 05:50:40 AM »
"Wait for ToB," you mean? Yes, I think so. :)

Offline Chimera

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 03:06:26 PM »
Yees...join the anticipation. We have popcorn!

*nudges Kulyok*
So...who's writing the ToB portion? Judging by what's been said so far, I'm guessing Domi with editorial input from yerself?
Scientists estimate that at current rates of usage, the Earth's supply of naturally occuring exclamation points will be depleted by 2015. Please do your part and conserve.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 03:21:32 PM »
So...who's writing the ToB portion? Judging by what's been said so far, I'm guessing Domi with editorial input from yerself?

Domi is now in Europe, hopefully enjoying her trip.

Offline Chimera

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 04:23:10 PM »
*grins* So much for speculating aloud, I guess.

And yes, I hope she does. 'Tis lovely here. Or it will be, once spring gets off its lazy behind and starts doing somehting about all this snow. *muttergrumble*

Oh, well. Very much looking forward to to seeing the end result in any case.

Offline celticrose

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 11:04:38 AM »
Yees...join the anticipation. We have popcorn!

*nudges Kulyok*

Popcorn, yummmmmmmmm. . . . . .  ;D

CR

Offline Shadowhawke

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 06:38:35 AM »
*laughs*. I was going to ask the same question as CelticRose here when I couldn't get the romance. May I ask, is there a reason why you absolutely *have* to be an elf?

Offline Chimera

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 11:08:48 AM »
*laughs*. I was going to ask the same question as CelticRose here when I couldn't get the romance. May I ask, is there a reason why you absolutely *have* to be an elf?

*nodnods* Writer's perogative. :)

Seriously though, if you've played the BG1 portion of the romance (and you should...it's great), Xan gives some very good and very ic reasons for his preference. Won't go into details here, as...well...spoilers an' all.

*grins* Just think of this as a break from the "anything that moves" attitude displayed by other potential bedwarmers. :) *ducks incoming eggs*

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 10:20:38 AM »
Domi is now in Europe, hopefully enjoying her trip.

Heh, I am back from Europe, but no, while some of my early Xan's talks went into BG1 version of Xan's romance (not many, I would like to emphasise that it was all Kulyok's work and she did not really need those, I just did not want some of my ideas to go to waste) but I had nothing to do with the BG2 project, except for cheering up on Kulyok of course, and eagerly playing it once it was released. I write for original IWD2 characters at the moment (if anyone is interested in what I do). :) Anyways, Kulyok and Co, good luck with ToB! It will really make things complete!
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 01:06:47 AM »
Thank you for your well-wishes, Ashara. :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: