Author Topic: Question: Anomen's commenting on the Windspeer Hill fight and Garren's kid quest  (Read 17879 times)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
I looked but couldn't find any information whether this is included in UB.

My first question: Anomen's commenting on the Windspeer Hill fight after killing the knights almost every time is lost because Garren appears too quickly and starts speaking first, increasing the "DomainPaladinBattle" variable that would trigger Anomen's talk. As far as I could see that isn't changed in UB. Any intentions to include some kind of fix for this, too? It could be easily done by replacing the "Global("DomainPaladinBattle","GLOBAL",1)" with something like "GlobalGT("DomainPaladinBattle","GLOBAL",0) GlobalLT("DomainPaladinBattle","GLOBAL",3)", then Anomen at least would speak after Garren if Garren appears too quickly (which, for me, he always does).

Second question: Anomen is supposed to complain, if PC takes too long to save Garren's child, and I am almost certain I got this talk once in an unmodded game. But if I check the code, it's
"IF
   InParty(Myself)
   GlobalTimerExpired("ddKidnapTimer","GLOBAL")
   Global("ddAnomenWhine","LOCALS",0)
   !GlobalGT("Kidnap","GLOBAL",3)
THEN
   RESPONSE #100
      StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
      SetGlobal("ddAnomenWhine","LOCALS",1)
      SetGlobalTimer("ddKidnapTimer","GLOBAL",THREE_DAYS)
END"

in Anomen's .bcs and
"IF WEIGHT #12 /* Triggers after states #: 28 32 89 101 110 150 205 207 282 even though they appear after this state */
~Global("ddAnomenWhine","LOCALS",1)~ THEN BEGIN 14 "

in his ANOMENJ.dlg, meaning the dialogue can't ever happen. Am I wrong here, and if I'm right, is this fixed by UB or is there any intention to include such a fix?

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Maybe the question belongs better to some fix pack. If anyone knows whether these two dialogues are touched by a mod please let me know, as I wanted to fix/alter them in a mod of mine. Thank you!

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
I must've missed this a few days ago--thanks for the report, I'll check it out. :) Will pass it on to Cam, too.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
Coulda sworn we got this already--I'll check this as well.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

-jastey-

That would be great. I have to admit I don't know whether this is adressed in Baldurdash, but I never use Baldurdash anyway but am eagerly awaiting the G3 fix pack,  so... :D

-jastey

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
I wondered why Anomen sometimes got the line out and sometimes did not. As I have said before, I like trying out new NPC combos. But I happen to like Anomen (yes, I know I'm a freak). And I liked that line. I was always disappointed when Garren would show up before he could spit it out.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
I see in AnomenJ two dialogues concerning the Garren child quest that have False() triggers.
Any intention to make them available to the players in UB (considering how important the Garren quest is for his being knighted, some more comments from his side would really be appropriate)?

The two dialogues start with (I can only give translated lines, as my game version it not English):

IF WEIGHT #11 /* Triggers after states #: 28 32 89 101 110 150 205 207 282 even though they appear after this state */
~False()~ THEN BEGIN 10 // from:
  SAY #6452 ("I think it would be wise to save Garren's child")

IF WEIGHT #13 /* Triggers after states #: 28 32 89 101 110 150 205 207 282 even though they appear after this state */
~False()~ THEN BEGIN 17 // from:
  SAY #6504 ("I think it would be wise to go to Garren's hut")

-jastey

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
(Again I managed to forget to check a thread I started. How embarrassing! BGhead: Check your PMs.)

OK, new thing:
I have a question about what UB does to Anomen's commenting on the Garren's child quest. I am pretty sure I overlooked the answer and would be very happy if someone could point me into the right direction (I hope I don't get banned for posting the code):

Code: [Select]
EXTEND_BOTTOM ANOMENJ 1
IF ~~ THEN REPLY #6251 GOTO 4
END
(This is the part I have no problems with, it repairs the answer option of the PC to comment Ajantis' in Anomen's "monster" talk after the Windspear Hills. This talk not working 9 times out of 10 the way it is originally coded is a different story.)

EXTEND_BOTTOM ANOMENJ 11 COPY_TRANS GARREN 36
END
EXTEND_BOTTOM ANOMENJ 12 COPY_TRANS GARREN 36
END
EXTEND_BOTTOM ANOMENJ 13 COPY_TRANS GARREN 36
END
ANOMENJ 11, 12, and 13 are states that come from a "false" triggered talk in Anomen's dialogue file where he comments on Garren's kid:

IF WEIGHT #11 /* Triggers after states #: 28 32 89 101 110 150 205 207 282 even though they appear after this state */
~False()~ THEN BEGIN 10 // from:
  SAY #6452 ("I think it would be wise to save Garren's child")

Why are the action states of GARREN 36 assigned to it? "GARREN 36" is a final comment of Garren with diary entry concerning the kidnapped child quest. As the Anomen dialogue is triggered false and I can't find any reference to it from the Garren dialogue, this talk won't ever happen anyway, would it?

EXTEND_BOTTOM GARREN 8
IF ~InParty("Anomen")~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("FollowedGarren","GLOBAL",1)~ UNSOLVED_JOURNAL ~Journey to the Windspear Hills.

It appears I have been tricked into killing a group of paladins.  They wore illusions that masked them, disguising them as ogres, and apparently I appeared the same to them.  The Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart will surely take exception to this act, and I have only one witness to the event to say otherwise.  I have accepted his offer of shelter at his cabin, a short distance south of where the killings took place.~ EXTERN ANOMEN 17
END

REPLACE_STATE_TRIGGER ANOMENJ 17 ~~

In "ANOMENJ 17" Anomen stresses his interest in going to Garren's hut. " GARREN 8" is the dialogue state after PC agreed to follow Garren. So right now the talk would go something like:
Garren Windspear: Come to my hut!
PC: Yes, I would gratefully accept your invitation, Lord Windspear.
Garren Windspear: Great, then follow me.
Anomen: <Charname>, but we should go to Garren's hut!
PC -1: Yeah, you are right. Where did he say was the hut again?
PC -2: No, we won't.

Wouldn't it be better to assign the "ANOMENJ 17" to the " GARREN 9", which would be after the PC declined to follow Garren (with changed variables setting and diary entry, accordingly)?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 04:36:34 AM by jastey »

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
Sidebar, please... sorry to play through, but I suddenly got worried...

I noticed you apologising for posting snips of other folks' code, Jastey -- am I being rude when I post up bits of code in public? Because I certainly don't intend to be rude :) I just need a referee call on what is appropriate and what is considered bad form.

And if I have been behaving rudely, I certainly apologise and hope that someone will correct me before I do something really stupid  8)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
I personally don't mind with people posting code I've written. :) If they're describing an issue with it, it is best if I know they're posting it, though!

As for Jastey's queries, I'm afraid I'm unsure at the moment--that's all stuff Icelus did, and I have been too busy to look at it recently.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
I didn't know who was the author so I decided to put my request here. I would be happy if you (UB authors) would have time to have a look at this.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Sorry if I keep on about this, but does no one of the maintaining authors feel responsible for this peace of code?

EXTEND_BOTTOM GARREN 8
IF ~InParty("Anomen")~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("FollowedGarren","GLOBAL",1)~ UNSOLVED_JOURNAL ~Journey to the Windspear Hills.

It appears I have been tricked into killing a group of paladins.  They wore illusions that masked them, disguising them as ogres, and apparently I appeared the same to them.  The Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart will surely take exception to this act, and I have only one witness to the event to say otherwise.  I have accepted his offer of shelter at his cabin, a short distance south of where the killings took place.~ EXTERN ANOMEN 17
END

In my opinion, this not only adds Anomen's remark to the wrong PC's reply option, it also doesn't check whether Anomen is able to talk (not dead, not sleeping etc.), and it will add an English journal entry no matter what. I am ready to discuss about where this peace of Anomen's dialogue should be put (although for me the only logical place would be GARREN 9), but looking at the code I am missing a ~!Dead("anomen") !StateCheck("anomen",STATE_SLEEPING)~; and instead of putting the written text for the journal entry putting the state number of the appropriate journal entry (which would be #11872) would solve the English-only phenomenon.

Politely, non-offensive statement (and one of the reasons I keep on rambling about this): This peace of code does not show the high quality standards I would expect in this mod.
Offensive, direct question: Do you intend to change this crappy code or leave it as it is?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
We'll change it--I don't know who wrote the code originally. :)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
I read "Well, change it" the first time. :P
Cool thanks, if you want further input from my side please let me know.

EDIT: Sorry for being such a pain, but just in case it might save someone else some work (and to make sure I made my point clear) I post my suggestions here:

For the "let's go to Garren's hut" Anomen talk (AnomenJ state 17) I would suggest to add it to GARREN 9:

EXTEND_BOTTOM GARREN 9
IF ~InParty("Anomen") !Dead("Anomen") !StateCheck("Anomen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("FollowGarren","GLOBAL",1)~ UNSOLVED_JOURNAL #7256 EXTERN ANOMENJ 17
END

For the "let's save Garren's kid" Anomen talk (AnomenJ state 10) I can't find a place in Garren's dialogue where it would fit well. There I would suggest to add a triger block and let it run as a stand alone dialogue, that would be triggered outside Garren's hut:

trigger block:
IF
Global("Kidnap","GLOBAL",3)
!GlobalTimerExpired("ddKidnapTimer","GLOBAL")
Global("C#AnomenKidnap","LOCALS",0)
AreaCheck("AR1200")
AreaType(OUTDOOR)
THEN RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("C#AnomenKidnap","LOCALS",1)
StartDialogNoSet(Player1)
END

REPLACE_STATE_TRIGGER ANOMENJ 10 ~Global("C#AnomenKidnap","LOCALS",1)~

ADD_TRANS_ACTION AnomenJ BEGIN 10 END BEGIN END
~SetGlobal("C#AnomenKidnap","LOCALS",2)~

Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:39:44 AM by jastey »

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
Thanks for the code. :)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Found a bug in my code.

First, the refernce should go to "ANOMENJ" and not to "ANOMEN" (obviously) (I already edited the above post).

Second, there is a distiction between male and female PCs, so the transition to "ANOMENJ 17" has to be added to GARREN 9 and 27:

EXTEND_BOTTOM GARREN 9 //for male PC
IF ~InParty("Anomen") !Dead("Anomen") !StateCheck("Anomen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("FollowGarren","GLOBAL",1)~ UNSOLVED_JOURNAL #7256 EXTERN ANOMENJ 17
END

EXTEND_BOTTOM GARREN 27 //for female PC
END

This time I alphatested before posting code, so my proposed code should be fine now. ::)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Just a question: Did the things pointed out get implemented? Because if yes, I could take it out of my NPC mod where it doesn't really belong. :)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Hi, the question again: Did this make it into the new version, or will in the next? :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: