Author Topic: Is it possible to import character models from Diablo 1&2 into BG1&2?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Vasculio

• Baldur's Gate
  • Planewalker
  • Death comes for you! Feel its icy breath!
Same as above.

I know there some monster models in diablo that i would love to be used in my BG game.
Montaron- Ye goody-goodies make me sick!
Xzar- Must we be so insufferably charitable?!

Offline Duality

• Planewalker
While I have no idea if it's possible, I DO know that the reverse has been done.

There is a D2 mod that uses a number of BGI, BG2 and other IE game graphics.

Here is a link to the forum.
http://phrozenkeep.it-point.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=87&sid=329a893b21f8263e413816ff615efb2a

My assumption is that if you can import INTO D2 you ought to be able to export OUT of it.
"I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter."

"There is a certain freedom in being totally screwed. It means that nothing you do is going to make it any worse."

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Offline Vasculio

• Baldur's Gate
  • Planewalker
http://www.planetdiablo.com/sixthage/knight.gif

This is one of the monsters i'd like to import into BG1&2

Offline Duality

• Planewalker
To import you would need the same number of animations that the IE engine uses. Which I think is 14. They would have to be placed in the same order, in a file of the same format as all the other BG animations.

You wouldn't be able to make the .cre use any other weapon then the one linked to his animation. Well, you could, but it would look silly, a knight swinging his sword and someone gets hit by a bolt. Since to add a ranged attack for the knight, you would have to edit all of the frames to give him different weapon.

I'd suggest that you extract a couple of animations from BG2, making sure you get a walking and attacking animation. Just so you can see how many frames you are going to need and how they are set up. Then extract one from D2 and see if the animations match up, if they don't, I wouldn't advise it.

At 14 animations to complete one action (like attacking), and the action can be performed while facing 9 different directions.... And there are many actions.... You can see why most people don't bother with new graphics.
"I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter."

"There is a certain freedom in being totally screwed. It means that nothing you do is going to make it any worse."

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Offline Vasculio

• Baldur's Gate
  • Planewalker
To import you would need the same number of animations that the IE engine uses. Which I think is 14. They would have to be placed in the same order, in a file of the same format as all the other BG animations.

You wouldn't be able to make the .cre use any other weapon then the one linked to his animation. Well, you could, but it would look silly, a knight swinging his sword and someone gets hit by a bolt. Since to add a ranged attack for the knight, you would have to edit all of the frames to give him different weapon.

I'd suggest that you extract a couple of animations from BG2, making sure you get a walking and attacking animation. Just so you can see how many frames you are going to need and how they are set up. Then extract one from D2 and see if the animations match up, if they don't, I wouldn't advise it.

At 14 animations to complete one action (like attacking), and the action can be performed while facing 9 different directions.... And there are many actions.... You can see why most people don't bother with new graphics.

Well if i did import him, i would set it up like the BG1Sarevok. He would use non-animation swords like Sarevok.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
I think Seifer (also posts as Exodus) may have ported Diablo 2 animation across at one point...
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Vasculio

• Baldur's Gate
  • Planewalker
The only thing i've seen so far, is Diablo 2 mod with BG1&2 monster added to it!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: