Author Topic: Suggested Components: Included  (Read 14387 times)

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
Re: Albert and Rufie Redux
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 12:15:39 AM »
Re: new items

I don't have any suggestions for what they could DO, but suitable bams to re-use would be the demon heart or the Claw of Kazgaroth.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 10:15:23 AM »
IIRC, Idobek made some corrections to Albert's dialog files for the BG1 Fixpack.  I'll see about incorporating that into BG1UB for the time being.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2006, 09:29:40 PM »
I would assume the bandit scalp is intended to signify that Rufie's been chewing on somebody's scalp or something, since he's, y'know, nasty. The only way it makes sense as a reward, of course, is if Albert is mocking you by giving it, because he's, y'know, nasty. Shrug.
In my opinion, it sounds fine to have a scalp as reward. Rufie might have got it after an unfortunate (for the bandit) encounter and found chewing on it to his liking. I'd say we can keep the scalp and make it the only item the party gets as recompensation. No need for gems or new items. My two cents... ;)
Albert mentions that "we can get more where we're going." There aren't any truly suitable items, but the bandit scalp thing is pretty bad.

I'm going to side with devSin on this.  A bandit scalp doesn't make sense as something that can be attained again where they're going.  Idobek just implements the Baldurdash fix in the Fixpack, so we're back to square one.

What about some other gem?  My issue with the horn coral is that it sounds like something oceanic.  Maybe a diamond or the black opal?
Black Opal has a greenish hue with black mottling and gold flecks.  Usually found in ancient hot springs, the gem is tumbled smooth and cut cabochon.  The phrase in the north "Black as an opal" is used as a subtle form of praise for kind-hearted rogues and the like.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2006, 10:10:10 PM »
As far as I can tell, the only pre-existing item (or something similar enough) that Albert and Rufie would be able to get in the Nine Hells would be a lock of hair from a succubus. A Demon Heart would be a close second, as I believe the Hells are the habitation of LE Devils, but of course that would require porting the item over from BG2. And both of these items would be utterly useless except for sale at Feldepost's, but then again, so is the Bandit Scalp, pretty much.

Optimally, I'd just keep the Bandit Scalp and tweak Albert's dialog to omit the "more where we're going" part, which might very well be just what Idobek is doing.

Offline Gaias

• Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2006, 10:46:25 PM »
I would say a bloodstone amulet would be more reasonable reward for this quest. As Albert implies that Rufie was chewing on someone's head (at least that is how I have always interpreted it), it woud be reasonable for said person to be wearing a necklace. Such a thing could easily get mixed up in the "gore". It also makes sense as a sufficient reward for the large xp reward you are given for such a simple quest.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 10:48:11 PM by Gaias »

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2006, 09:51:03 AM »
I think a black opal would be fine.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline Creepin

• Planewalker
Carnival stores
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2006, 10:52:31 AM »
There's a lot of tents with merchants in Carnival, like merchants in areas Ar4901, Ar4908, Ar4909, using respectively stores Sto4901, Sto4908, Sto4909. There's also merchant at Ar4907 using Sto4906, while Sto4907 also exists as game resource although isn't used in game. This unused store is probably best in Carnival (by Carnival measures of course), so may be it should be restored somehow? Perhaps second merchant at Ar4907 will be easiest way, as Ar4906 is occupied by those quarreling mages ::)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Carnival stores
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2006, 11:06:12 AM »
Already fixed.  I added the 4907 merchant as an open air merchant near the wagons.  Stores, inns, taverns, and their respective keepers are very screwed up in the original game, and I've fixed what I could. 

Offline Creepin

• Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2006, 11:20:11 AM »
Oh, great! :)

Just to be sure that nothing escapes your attention: I stumbled upon Tem0149.sto (Ilmater's Shrine) & Tem0609.sto (Water Queen's House) which are as well unassigned to any creature. TBH, there's nothing of value in this stores though ::)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2006, 11:34:19 AM »
I looked at those, yeah.  It just seemed too odd to alter the priests' dialogs to add the StartStore command, though, so I didn't bother with them.

Suggestions are always welcome, so please report anything you might find.  There are many things I'm sure we've missed.  :)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2006, 11:51:23 AM »
Black Opal works for me. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2006, 11:54:49 AM »
Yes, after spending too much time mulling over geology and PnP issues, I think the black opal is the way to go.  It's the closest reward to the game original and does not require dialog alterations. 

Offline Creepin

• Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2006, 12:05:37 PM »
What? Your lvl 3 char meets with a big, powerful demon from Nine Hells, does him a favour and receives... useless, mundane gem? Duh! This moment in game was always disappointing me a bit... I think there should be something special for this case, something alike Claw of Kazgarot - we-eirdy and sca-ary :o
(Although I don't have enough knowledge of graphic software to draw weirdy & scary bam for it ;))
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 12:08:01 PM by Creepin »

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
Re: Suggested Components: Included
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »
Most of us aren't too keen on giving a powerful artifact to a level 3 pc......
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline Creepin

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2006, 02:38:03 PM »
I didn't said "powerful" - just "weird & gloomy somewhat", as something from Nine Hells should be ;)
Like, say, Glory Hand - wery handy for chewing & scary enough (and could use tweaked Claw of K. bam). Give it ability to cast Knock once per day with 50% chance of backfiring at user, casting Fear on him. Just for an example... :)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2006, 01:41:25 PM »
What? Your lvl 3 char meets with a big, powerful demon from Nine Hells, does him a favour and receives... useless, mundane gem? Duh! This moment in game was always disappointing me a bit... I think there should be something special for this case, something alike Claw of Kazgarot - we-eirdy and sca-ary :o
(Although I don't have enough knowledge of graphic software to draw weirdy & scary bam for it ;))

Ogre mage, not demon (or devil). ;)

I'd say something weird and scary would be suitable if it were a long and involved quest, but it's only a minor encounter and I think the oddness of finding a toy for the pet of a creature from the Nine Hells is enough.

Plus, a black opal isn't useless. Worth some money!
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 06:26:54 PM »
Ogre mage, not demon (or devil). ;)
Do ogre magi come from the Nine Hells? If they do, they shouldn't.

Offline Creepin

• Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2006, 09:31:47 PM »
Do ogre magi come from the Nine Hells? If they do, they shouldn't.
Exactly ;D I believe Bio gives Albert ogre magi's model simply because they were too lazy to paint demon one ;)

Offline Ayce

• Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2006, 12:12:35 PM »
I originally posted this in the unfinished business thread, but it looks like this might be the place for it, soooooo...........

Wasn't there some mentoin of a missng quest with Ajantis?  Something to do with missng monks?  Like Coran, he also has an incessant dialog line about not being able to sit around or what not, indicating he is not recognizing the completion of some quest.

I thought I saw menton of this on the BG1 UB page before the last update, or was I mistaken?  Of does that have to do with some other project?

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2006, 01:43:08 PM »
No, we did come across quite a bit of material (check the "Suggested Components: Not Included" thread), but to implement would have taken a lot more work than anyone was willing to give.  Perhaps one day it will be worked on, but for now it's been pushed to the side.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: