Author Topic: The Scolding Farmer  (Read 10346 times)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
The Scolding Farmer
« on: February 25, 2006, 02:15:08 PM »
Not sure why this one didn't show up in the initial results, but NI says this dialog's unused:

BEGIN ~FARM5~

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)
~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
  SAY ~Hey!  Who are you?~ /* #3991 */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~We're mercenaries.~ /* #3993 */ GOTO 1
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~We're adventurers. ~ /* #3994 */ GOTO 2
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~We're just your average travelers.~ /* #3995 */ GOTO 3
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from: 0.0
  SAY ~Mercenaries, huh.  We'll I don't know what you're doing about these parts, but you'd better not have had any part in polluting this area.  Someone's really messed up nature's beauty, and eventually there's going to be hell to pay!~ /* #3992 */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~EscapeArea()
~ JOURNAL ~A farmer who we met in the Wood of Sharp Teeth has told us that someone has been dumping waste in the forest.~ /* #6601 */ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from: 0.1
  SAY ~Never met adventurers before.  Well if you're a bunch of heroes, maybe you could find out who's been dumping all their waste in the lakes round here.  You could find out who's at fault, and maybe put a stop to it, permanent like.~ /* #4000 */
~ JOURNAL ~A farmer who we met in the Wood of Sharp Teeth has told us that someone has been dumping waste in the forest.~ /* #6601 */ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from: 0.2
  SAY ~Ya, and if you're a normal bunch of travelers, then I'm Elminster himself.  Sarcastic bastards.~ /* #4004 */
~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 4 // from:
  SAY ~Sorry, I have to get a move on.  My wife's probably missing me already.~ /* #6144 */
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~StateCheck(Myself,STATE_CHARMED)
~ THEN BEGIN 5 // from:
  SAY ~I'm just a simple farmer, I don't know much.~ /* #6145 */
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 6 // from:
  SAY ~Get out of my sight!  I'll do nothing for you!~ /* #8987 */
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
The Scolding Farmer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 03:11:49 PM »
Not sure why this one didn't show up in the initial results, but NI says this dialog's unused:
It sounds like BioWare decided to replace that farmer with Palin, the bear hunter who hangs out in the northern areas of Peldvale. Re-implementing him seems tricky, as the place seems to be miles away from any farm. Hmm....perhaps he might work placed in the southeast part of Wyrm's Crossing: The party enters the map area, the farmer sees them, approaches, initiates conversation, says his say, and heads homeward down the road. His presence could be explained by saying he had been on his way to BG to complain to the Grand Dukes about all the pollution, but he was turned back at the crossing, so now he's just itching to yell at somebody--it just happened to be CHARNAME and company.

Offline Aran

• Planewalker
Re: The Scolding Farmer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 09:23:44 AM »
He makes reference to the Wood of Sharp Teeth being polluted - or at least, the related journal entry does. Putting him in the Cloakwood would require that to be changed.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 08:19:09 PM »
Why not AR2400?  Wood of Sharp Teeth, lakes, proximity to bandit camp, etc...

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 02:17:57 PM »
Cloakwood, Aran? Who said anything about the Cloakwood?

I'm assuming AR2400 is Peldvale, as that indeed has lakes, is just south of the Bandit Camp, and is in the Wood of Sharp Teeth. But where are the farms? There has to be a reason for this guy to go there. I'm not saying it's silly for him to be there, I'm just saying he'd make more sense at the bridge.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 07:27:14 PM »
Cloakwood, Aran? Who said anything about the Cloakwood?

I'm assuming AR2400 is Peldvale, as that indeed has lakes, is just south of the Bandit Camp, and is in the Wood of Sharp Teeth. But where are the farms? There has to be a reason for this guy to go there. I'm not saying it's silly for him to be there, I'm just saying he'd make more sense at the bridge.

It might sound silly, but my reasoning is that there was a farm JUST OFF THE EDGE OF THE MAP.  :) 

Or maybe he just owns the lands, doing his weekly inspection, and is pissed off at the junk in his lakes...

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 10:04:10 PM »

Well, I was just interpreting this:
Mercenaries, huh.  We'll I don't know what you're doing about these parts, but you'd better not have had any part in polluting this area.
as being said in the area that's polluted.  I understand what you're saying about having him be on the way back from BG, but I'm just not convinced the dialog would match in that instance.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 10:41:36 PM »
It might sound silly, but my reasoning is that there was a farm JUST OFF THE EDGE OF THE MAP.  :) 
Okay, but my feeling is that if you're going to place an Innocent who couldn't even take out a Kobold in an area filled with very dangerous Hostiles (as Peldvale is), then there should be at least something supporting it, something beyond a dialog that BioWare chose to cut. True, you could stick him in the NW corner that is (questionably) "protected" by the Flaming Fist Officer, but I think even that's asking a bit much. Not that my suggestion has any great merit either, of course.

Regarding the "you'd better not have had any part in polluting this area" bit, "area" could mean anything from a few square feet to a few square miles. Wrym's Crossing is only a few miles from Peldvale, and so the lands just southeast of the Gate might very well be considered to be part of the same "area," especially if you've already walked across them once today and are about to make the round trip.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 12:02:09 PM »
OK, I'll go with you on this.  I'll place him in AR0900 (Wyrm's Crossing/BG Bridge) in the far southeast area of the map.  I'll just have him initiate dialog with the party, then leave.

[4716.3663,2]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 03:38:36 PM by icelus »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 03:54:01 PM »
All done.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: