Author Topic: Shilo Chen  (Read 19203 times)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Shilo Chen
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:36:20 PM »
SHILO.DLG belongs to SHILOC.CRE--Shilo Chen.  He seems to be a ranger in Baldur's Gate, who gives a similar quest as Bjornin:

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
  SAY #15182 /* ~I can smell the city on you.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from:
  SAY #15183 /* ~There are some ogre-magi causing trouble in the southwest corner of the Wood of Sharp Teeth. If you could clear them out before they do too much damage, I'd be very grateful. In the meantime, I'll try to find some other adventurers to help out in case things start getting too rough...~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ JOURNAL #15772 /* ~Shilo Chen, a ranger from the Wood of Sharp Teeth, is currently seeking help in Baldur's Gate. A group of ogre-magi is killing off the wildlife in the wood's southwest corner. He has asked me to go there and see what I can do. If he can find any other willing adventurers, he'll send them as reinforcements.~ */ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from:
  SAY #15184 /* ~How can you stay in this foul city when the forest is in danger??~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from:
  SAY #15185 /* ~The hawks tell me that you cleared away the ogre-magi all by yourselves. I am impressed with your valor. Here, let me give you these fine gloves as a token of my appreciation. They are so supple that you can feel even the downiest feather as it brushes against your palm.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~AddexperienceParty(750)
ReputationInc(1)
~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 4 // from:
  SAY #15186 /* ~You city dwellers are all the same!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

I'm not sure what gloves he gives, or where he's to be located, nor have I checked the area that he talks about to see if there are Ogre Magi there.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 09:38:14 PM by icelus »
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Rabain

• Planewalker
  • Luck o' the Irish!
Re: Unused dialogs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 04:52:33 AM »
SHILO.DLG belongs to SHILOC.CRE--Shilo Chen.  He seems to be a ranger in Baldur's Gate, who gives a similar quest as Bjornin:

Bjornin asks you to go kill some half-ogres on the map just south of High Hedge. 

I think the Wood of Sharp Teeth are the area's above Durlags Tower, I am almost sure the one with the Red Wizards has a marke on it that says it is the Wood.  I think there was one of these area's with a bunch of Ogre's and Ogrillions but I don't recall an Ogre mage.  You don't happen to have an unused Ogre Mage dialog lying around?
Touchstone: Wild Elf Fighter
BG2CPM: Dialog Portraits for Everyone!
WTPFamiliars: A new version of the Find Familiar Spell
All at: Border Kingdoms

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Unused dialogs
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 01:46:19 PM »
You don't happen to have an unused Ogre Mage dialog lying around?
Not that I've seen, no, unfortunately.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Unused creatures
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 10:39:35 PM »
Shilo Chen: More "go kill ___ plz"

BEGIN ~SHILO~ 15182 // non-zero flags may indicate non-pausing dialogue

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
  SAY ~I can smell the city on you.~ /* #15182 */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from:
  SAY ~There are some ogre-magi causing trouble in the southwest corner of the Wood of Sharp Teeth. If you could clear them out before they do too much damage, I'd be very grateful. In the meantime, I'll try to find some other adventurers to help out in case things start getting too rough..~ /* #15183 */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ JOURNAL ~Shilo Chen, a ranger from the Wood of Sharp Teeth, is currently seeking help in Baldur's Gate. A group of ogre-magi is killing off the wildlife in the wood's southwest corner. He has asked me to go there and see what I can do. If he can find any other willing adventurers, he'll send them as reinforcements. ~ /* #15772 */ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from:
  SAY ~How can you stay in this foul city when the forest is in danger??~ /* #15184 */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from:
  SAY ~The hawks tell me that you cleared away the ogre-magi all by yourselves. I am impressed with your valor. Here, let me give you these fine gloves as a token of my appreciation. They are so supple that you can feel even the downiest feather as it brushes against your palm.~ /* #15185 */
ReputationInc(1)
~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 4 // from:
  SAY ~You city dwellers are all the same!~ /* #15186 */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Shilo Chen
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 09:06:51 PM »
OK, so I'm thinking, as far as potential rewards, either the Gauntlets of Ogre Power or the Gauntlets of Dexterity.  The latter is more believable as far as a reward from a ranger, but the former are much harder to get in the game.  I could also import something from BG2, but I'm not too keen on that idea.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 03:13:06 PM »
I figured they must have been meant to be the Gauntlets of Dexterity, because of what he says about them being "so supple that you can feel even the downiest feather as it brushes against your palm." I'd think of an enhanced sense of touch as being dexterity-related.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 06:14:38 PM »
You could use a unique pair of gloves that give a +1 bonus to dexterity or a stealth/thieving bonus.  The big problem with the gauntlets of dexterity is that they are, uh, gauntlets.
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 01:12:52 PM »
I'll look through BG2 items to see if there's anything worthwhile to use.  Drew does have a point about the gauntlets/gloves verbiage.

I am not opposed to altering his original dialog a bit, either.  In fact, it doesn't even have to be ogre-magi.  I can spawn in anything, really, with a chapter check so that, if something more difficult is used, they won't decimate a pre-Baldur's Gate party.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 11:03:38 AM »
From BG2 items, I'd suggest the Gloves of Missile Snaring. They're not overpowered for BG1, and I think relatively few players in BG2 obtain them, so it's something a bit different too.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 03:21:43 PM »
From BG2 items, I'd suggest the Gloves of Missile Snaring. They're not overpowered for BG1, and I think relatively few players in BG2 obtain them, so it's something a bit different too.

That's a good idea.  I remember we almost "restored" them in BG2UB. 

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 06:52:47 PM »
*sigh* Gloves of Pickpocketing. Seriously, people. :P

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 07:42:13 PM »
Why would a Ranger be walking around with a pair of gloves of pickpocketing?   He could have been saving it to reward adventurers for kiling Ogre Magi, but still.....
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 07:48:52 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  I don't quite see a ranger having the Gloves of Pickpocketing.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
The BG2 description of the Gloves of Missile Snaring also work in their favor:

Gloves of Missile Snaring
Foik Morur demonstrated the effectiveness of these gloves at a community fair near Beregost several years back.  He paid a local archer to fire arrows at him.  As the arrows approached, Foik's hands would move of their own accord, either knocking the arrow away or catching it.  He earned more than a few pieces of gold for his troubles, and these earnings attracted some shadowy figures to Foik's tent that evening.  The next morning Foik was found dead and the gloves missing.

STATISTICS

AC: +2 bonus from missile attacks

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 09:26:06 PM »
They were probably the originally intended reward and were cut along with the quest.

Offline Bursk

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 05:24:32 AM »
Can the gloves be used by any class (or at least, those usually able to wear gauntlets)?  If so, they sound ideal.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 11:13:34 AM »
I believe they're barred for mages and clerics, giving them at least as much range of usability as the Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 02:57:26 PM »
Why would a Ranger be walking around with a pair of gloves of pickpocketing? 
Because Fong Moo's nephew got caught nicking the goods from one too many people, had the law sent after him, and decided it'd be best to lay low in the hills outside of town for a while. Too bad he never saw that bear....
Afterwards, Shilo Chen came along and buried him, but kept the gloves because they just fit so nice. He doesn't know about their magical properties (and probably wouldn't care if he did), he just thinks they're spiffy.

The Gloves of Missile Snaring would also be balanced for BG1 purposes, but they don't really fit the description of "so supple you can feel even the downiest feather as it brushes against your palm." They're more like "these freaky gloves yanked my arms around when I wore them during a hailstorm."

Usability-wise, I see no real reason for classes to be barred from using an item that they could reap no benefits from. Nor do I see why the Gloves of Missile Snaring (and Gloves of Healing, too) should be off-limits to Priests, who don't need to keep their fingers unencumbered for spellcasting.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 03:06:04 PM »
Well, either way the gloves (either pair) will have to be imported from BG2 (although the eventual Tutu version of this mod won't have that issue). 

So it does come down to three options:
1) Gloves of Pickpocketing - Pro: more closely matches the "supple" description/Con: Would a ranger have thieving gloves? (can be countered with "he's a ranger--he just found them, s'all)
2) Gloves of Missile Snaring - Pro: More likely to be part of a ranger's "wardrobe"/Con: doesn't really match the "supple" description
3) Change the original game text - Pro: gauntlets can now be considered as part of the reward/Con: we're changing game text and moving out of the realm of unfinished business

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 08:23:58 PM »
I'm making an executive decision (for, like, the first time ever!  omg!) and going with Option #1.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 03:54:01 PM »
OK, I hope I did this right...  If someone wants to look over the code I'd be most appreciative.

Code: [Select]
BEGIN ~Shilo Chen and the Ogre Magi~

COPY ~bg1ub/shilochen/CBRAC17.BAM~ ~override~
     ~bg1ub/shilochen/IBRAC17.BAM~ ~override~

COPY ~bg1ub/shilochen/UBGLOVE1.ITM~ ~override~
SAY NAME1 #6341
SAY NAME2 ~Gloves of Pick Pocketing~
SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC #6791
SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC ~Gloves of Pick Pocketing
A few years back Fong Moo a famous cutpurse, known in both Baldur's Gate and Athkatla, was found dead on the road between the Gate and Beregost.  Seems he'd stolen an artifact from a powerful mage and tried escaping, with little success.  His possessions went to a nephew, who took up the same trade as his uncle, and became especially good at pick pocketing.  Whether these gloves were magical before falling into Fong's hands or if they are somehow imbued with the master's essence is not known.

STATISTICS

Pick Pocketing:  +20% Bonus~

COPY_EXISTING OGREMA_A.CRE ~OVERRIDE/UBOGMA01.CRE~
WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~UBOGMA01~

COPY_EXISTING OGREMA_B.CRE ~OVERRIDE/UBOGMA02.CRE~
WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~UBOGMA02~

COPY_EXISTING OGREMA_C.CRE ~OVERRIDE/UBOGMA03.CRE~
WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~UBOGMA03~

COPY_EXISTING AOLN.CRE ~OVERRIDE/UBSHILO.CRE~
SAY NAME1 #15640
SAY NAME2 #15685
WRITE_ASCII 0x250 ~~ #8
WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~UBShilo~ #8
WRITE_ASCII 0x2cc ~ubshilo~ #8
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~UBGLOVE1~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~INV1 INV5~

COMPILE ~bg1ub/shilochen/ubshilo.d~

<<<<<<<< .../bg1ub/ub_ar0705sc.baf
IF
Global("CreateUBShiloChen","AR0705",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("UBShilo",[606.967],10)
SetGlobal("CreateUBShiloChen","AR0705",1)
END
>>>>>>>>
EXTEND_BOTTOM AR0705.BCS ~.../bg1ub/ub_ar0705sc.baf~

<<<<<<<< .../bg1ub/ub_ar1900.baf
IF
GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)
Global("AcceptedUBShiloQuest","GLOBAL",1)
Global("CreateUBOgreMagi","AR1900",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("UBOGMA01",[1736.2979],6)
CreateCreature("UBOGMA02",[1605.2915],14)
CreateCreature("UBOGMA03",[1754.2885],3)
SetGlobal("CreateUBOgreMagi","AR1900",1)
END
>>>>>>>>
EXTEND_BOTTOM AR1900.BCS ~.../bg1ub/ub_ar1900.baf~

ubshilo.d:

BEGIN ~UBSHILO~

IF ~Alignment(LastTalkedToBy,MASK_EVIL)~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
  SAY #15182 /* ~I can smell the city on you.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~Global("AcceptedUBShiloQuest","GLOBAL",0)
!Alignment(LastTalkedToBy(),MASK_EVIL)~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from:
  SAY #15183 /* ~There are some ogre-magi causing trouble in the southwest corner of the Wood of Sharp Teeth. If you could clear them out before they do too much damage, I'd be very grateful. In the meantime, I'll try to find some other adventurers to help out in case things start getting too rough..~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("AcceptedUBShiloQuest","GLOBAL",1)~ JOURNAL #15772 /* ~Shilo Chen, a ranger from the Wood of Sharp Teeth, is currently seeking help in Baldur's Gate. A group of ogre-magi is killing off the wildlife in the wood's southwest corner. He has asked me to go there and see what I can do. If he can find any other willing adventurers, he'll send them as reinforcements. ~ */ EXIT
END

IF ~Global("AcceptedUBShiloQuest","GLOBAL",1)
!Dead("UBOGMA01")
!Dead("UBOGMA02")
!Dead("UBOGMA03")~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from:
  SAY #15184 /* ~How can you stay in this foul city when the forest is in danger??~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~Dead("UBOGMA01")
Dead("UBOGMA02")
Dead("UBOGMA03")~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from:
  SAY #15185 /* ~The hawks tell me that you cleared away the ogre-magi all by yourselves. I am impressed with your valor. Here, let me give you these fine gloves as a token of my appreciation. They are so supple that you can feel even the downiest feather as it brushes against your palm.~ */
ReputationInc(1)
GiveItem("UBGLOVE1",LastTalkedToBy)
SetGlobal("AcceptedUBShiloQuest","GLOBAL",2)
EscapeArea()~ JOURNAL ~Having defeated the ogre-magi in the Wood of Sharp Teeth, Shilo Chen has rewarded us handsomely.~ EXIT
END

IF ~StateCheck(Myself,8192)~ THEN BEGIN 4 // from:
  SAY #15186 /* ~You city dwellers are all the same!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 05:21:19 PM by icelus »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 05:22:16 PM »
Well, the quest seems to work just fine.  The problem, however, is that whenever I try to view the inventory page after receiving the gloves, I get a CTD.  I'm thinking I fucked up the bams or something, but to be honest I'm at a loss.  I'm going to have to reuse the inventory icon for the Gauntlets of Ogre Power in the meantime.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 05:32:19 PM by icelus »

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 06:33:23 PM »
For the gloves, I wouldn't add them identified. Just use ~NONE~ instead of ~IDENTIFIED~.

For the dialogue, you might want a Reaction() check instead of alignment (I'd do ReactionLT(LastTalkedToBy,8) and ReactionGT(LastTalkedToBy,7) for this one).

Three ogre magi?! Hot damn, that's a lot.

This quest so shouldn't give a reputation increase.

I'd add Global("AcceptedUBShiloQuest","GLOBAL",1) to the State 3 trigger list.

Other than that, I don't see anything. I have no idea about the crashing, sorry.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2006, 06:40:57 PM »
Ah, I didn't even realize I'd copied over the IDENTIFIED bit.  Since the game kept crashing after I'd completed the quest, I could never see the inventory screen then.  I was just CLUA'ing them in afterward to fix the crashing, and just CLUA'ing them in does so unidentified.

What exactly is the difference between an alignment check and a Reaction check?  I'll take your word for it and change it, but I'd just like to know for future reference.  :)

Three ogre-magi = holy shit?  I can remove one.  I just interpreted Shilo's original dialogue of "some ogre-magi" as more than two.  Some can also be more than one, so it's no problem.

The rep increase was part of the original dialogue, but it can be removed.  I don't exactly see Shilo shouting of your deeds from the rooftops.

Will fix state 3.

Thanks.  :)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2006, 08:29:02 PM »
Reaction rolls are 10 + your reputation and charisma modifiers. Alignment is just alignment. If you're an ass, people in BG don't like you (as opposed to BG2, where reaction checks are almost never done), which doesn't necessary correspond with whether you're good/neutral/evil.

I'd add some other little turds (maybe half-ogres or something) with the ogre magi, just so they're not alone out in the middle of nowhere for no reason at all.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: