Author Topic: Feldane, an Old Friend  (Read 9490 times)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Feldane, an Old Friend
« on: February 12, 2006, 04:56:02 PM »
Does anyone remember Feldane from the game?  I'm drawing a blank, but this dialog looks kind of important.  NI ain't helpin'.

BEGIN ~FELDAN~ 19945 // non-zero flags may indicate non-pausing dialogue

IF ~True()
~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
  SAY ~Oh, hello <CHARNAME>, I have not seen you for quite some time. You have certainly picked a busy time to visit us. I wish I could chat about old times, but I must prepare the meeting rooms for our...guests.~ /* #19945 */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~It was rare that guests would make use of those rooms. Who is here?~ /* #19946 */ GOTO 1
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You seem hesitant, Feldane. Are these people not to be trusted?~ /* #19947 */ GOTO 2
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from: 0.0
  SAY ~Oh, I should say little. They made a very generous donation to the keep; some rare texts with value well in excess of the normal entry fee. I see no harm in telling you though. After all, you once called this place home. They claim to be merchants, though their organizations dabble in much more, I am sure. The three leaders of the Iron Throne are meeting with representatives of the Knights of the Shield. ~ /* #19948 */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~What do you know of these two groups?~ /* #19950 */ GOTO 3
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Interesting, but none of my concern. Thank you for your time.~ /* #19952 */ GOTO 4
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from: 0.1
  SAY ~It is not for me to say, but I should keep an eye on your purse strings while here. Three are from the Iron Throne, supposedly the leaders themselves. The others are from Amn. I believe they are representing the Knights of the Shield. They both claim this trip is to discuss future trading relations, because the Iron Throne has grown so much as of late. I know very little of the economics of Baldur's Gate, but I would hazard a guess that both are more than mere businessmen.~ /* #19957 */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~What do you mean by that? I have had "dealings" with the Iron Throne, so I would like to know what they are up to.~ /* #19962 */ GOTO 5
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Well, thanks for the warning. I shall be wary.~ /* #19963 */ GOTO 4
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from: 1.0
  SAY ~Not much at all, but rumors are never in short supply. I hear that these meetings are more like negotiations, because the Iron Throne threatens to move into Knights of the Shield territory. I overheard one of them, accidentally of course, and I think the Iron Throne has gained a lot of power from the iron shortage. Appropriate, don't you think? They are meeting here because they consider it neutral ground and relatively safe. I doubt Keeper of the Tomes Ulraunt would have allowed their entry had he know who they are, though they have done nothing wrong here. ~ /* #19964 */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Thank you for the information. I should be going.~ /* #19967 */ GOTO 4
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Hmm. I don't suppose you know which rooms they are staying in?~ /* #19968 */ GOTO 6
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 4 // from: 5.0 3.0 2.1 1.1
  SAY ~Not a problem. We must get together sometime while you are here. ~ /* #19965 */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~EscapeArea()
~ JOURNAL ~I ran into old Feldane, one of the monks who has lived at Candlekeep since before I can remember. He said that there are suspicious visitors staying at the keep, and that they are making use of the meeting rooms. He suspects that several of them are from the Iron Throne, while the remainder are from the Knights of the Shield. Apparently they are negotiating for control of various regions in the Sword Coast. In his opinion neither of these groups is entirely respectable, though they have done nothing wrong while here.~ /* #9997 */ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 5 // from: 2.0
  SAY ~Oh, I hope you haven't thrown your lot in with them. I hear they are such unsavory types. More into power than commerce. I overheard them talking, and they have actually profited from the iron crisis! That's why the Knights of the Shield are here; the Iron Throne has gained a lot of influence lately and threatens to take over certain Amnish interests. I am suprised Keeper of the Tomes Ulraunt allowed them entry, but they have done nothing wrong that can be proved. ~ /* #19966 */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Thanks for the information. I'll just be off to my room now.~ /* #19970 */ GOTO 4
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I don't suppose you know which rooms they wil be using?~ /* #19971 */ GOTO 6
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 6 // from: 5.1 3.1
  SAY ~I have said too much already. I certainly don't want to seem like a gossip. I should go. Please, we should speak some other time before you go.~ /* #19969 */
~ JOURNAL ~I ran into old Feldane, one of the monks who has lived at Candlekeep since before I can remember. He said that there are suspicious visitors staying at the keep, and that they are making use of the meeting rooms. He suspects that several of them are from the Iron Throne, while the remainder are from the Knights of the Shield. Apparently they are negotiating for control of various regions in the Sword Coast. In his opinion neither of these groups is entirely respectable, though they have done nothing wrong while here.~ /* #9997 */ EXIT
END
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 09:36:29 PM by icelus »
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
Re: Feldane, and Old Friend
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 06:59:09 PM »
I do agree that this dialog seems important...It does sound like something that should be restored as I don't remember any kind of dialogue of this sort once you come back to Candlekeep. It should obviously be one of the monks. Logically speaking one of those that you meet at the bottom level of the library in Candlekeep. Dudley reports that upon entering the keep, the party is approached by a Monk named Karan (whom I seem to recall appears also in the Prologue warning about people looking for mainchar) and he speaks about Koveras being visiting but that's all...

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 10:45:35 PM »
FYI, Sarevok's diary claims that Reiltar, Brunos and Thaldorn's goal in meeting with the Knights of the Shield is to prevent war between Baldur's Gate and Amn--which is one of the reasons that he wants them all killed. So if this dialogue/NPC is reintroduced, either it or Sarevok's journal will have to be changed in that regard, and IMHO the diary's explanation of that critical plot point is too good to be lost. So I think it would be best to change the "they're here to negotiate control / they really shouldn't be here, but we have no real reason to throw them out" portions to something more like "they're here to try to preserve the peace / nice to see merchants acting humanely for once."

The name "Knights of the Shield" is very Paladinny. Are they?

Right now I'm testing to see if Thaldorn will be present in Candlekeep if you don't kill him in the Iron Throne HQ in Chapter 5, and trying to find a more solid explanation for why Sarevok assumes he won't be recognized by his own co-workers.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 02:14:57 AM »
I simply love the method SixOfSpades uses to work out things... ;) Very good!

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 06:09:27 AM »
The name "Knights of the Shield" is very Paladinny. Are they?

Nope.  While their membership consists of many noblemen, their main interest is trade.  To further their goal of making money, they take a vested interest in politics, and their members include at least two Dukes of Tethyr and even one of Amn's Council of Six.  While many Knights are upstanding, lawful citizens, many others engage in some very questionable activities - including slander, price fixing, tax evasion, espionage, and smuggling.

The Knights, who are secretive enough themselves, also have an inner circle known as the Shield Council, which most "regular" members of the organization don't even know exists.  The Council members are all either LE or NE, and while their primary objective is the same as the Knights' - the manipulation of trade and politics for the organization's collective benefit - their activites they sponsor are even more dubious: kidnapping, blackmail, conspiracies, assassination, etc.  The Council has agents and spies in 70% of all governments in the Forgotten Realms, the major exception being Waterdeep.

Unknown to all but three of the Shield Council's seven members is that the Council itself answers to a high power - namely the Demon Lord Gargauth.  Precisely what his long term objective in regards to the Knights hasn't yet been revealed.

Incidentally, the two Knights in BG1, Tuth and Kestor, are cannonical members.  Both reside in Baldur's Gate, the former being an ex-adventurer who killed a dragon (while it slept) and claimed its' horde, and the latter being a major figure in the Merchants' League, owning an entire fleet of sailing ships.  Tuth is actually a member of the Shield Council, but he is their scapegoat - if anything major should go wrong, the rest of the Council will attempt to place the blame on him.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 01:35:17 PM »
I simply love the method SixOfSpades uses to work out things...
It's actually quite inefficient--if I had Near Infinity or whatnot I could probably just crack open the code and see if there's a flag that gets set when you talk to Thaldorn, it would take all of five minutes. The brute-force method is all well and good for one who wishes to practically memorize the entire game, but it's certainly not for everybody.

Just so you know, Thaldorn does not show up in Candlekeep if you spare his life in Chapter 5. And I was wrong about Sarevok mentioning him in his journal--he doesn't.

Thanks for the background, NiGHTMARE. Interesting. I wonder why not Waterdeep, though.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 05:57:04 PM »
Thanks for the background, NiGHTMARE. Interesting. I wonder why not Waterdeep, though.

That's due to events in the novel Elfsong.  Their main agent in Waterdeep was close to infilitrating the Lords of Waterdeep, but her plans were discovered by the Harpers and she was banished from the city.  Needless to say, the Harpers and the Knights of the Shield don't exactly get along.  In fact, I'm suprised Jaheira and Khalid don't have anything to say when you find out there are two Knights in Candlekeep :).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 06:01:21 PM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Feldane, an Old Friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 06:48:21 PM »
I think I'll add Feldane to the grounds just outside the keep.  AR2626 [2965.1824],3

I'll also look into make the changes as Six suggested.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 06:52:08 PM by icelus »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 07:06:59 PM »
New dialog:

BEGIN ~UBFELDAN~

IF ~True()
~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
  SAY #19945 /* ~Oh, hello <CHARNAME>. I have not seen you for quite some time. You have certainly picked a busy time to visit us. I wish I could chat about old times, but I must prepare the meeting rooms for our... guests.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #19946 /* ~It was rare that guests would make use of those rooms. Who is here?~ */ GOTO 1
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #19947 /* ~You seem hesitant, Feldane. Are these people not to be trusted?~ */ GOTO 2
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from: 0.0
  SAY #19948 /* ~Oh, I should say little. They made a very generous donation to the keep; some rare texts with value well in excess of the normal entry fee. I see no harm in telling you though. After all, you once called this place home. They claim to be merchants, though their organizations dabble in much more, I am sure. The three leaders of the Iron Throne are meeting with representatives of the Knights of the Shield.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #19950 /* ~What do you know of these two groups?~ */ GOTO 3
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #19952 /* ~Interesting, but none of my concern. Thank you for your time.~ */ GOTO 4
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from: 0.1
  SAY #19957 /* ~It is not for me to say, but I should keep an eye on your purse strings while here. Three are from the Iron Throne, supposedly the leaders themselves. The others are from Amn. I believe they are representing the Knights of the Shield. They both claim this trip is to discuss future trading relations, because the Iron Throne has grown so much as of late. I know very little of the economics of Baldur's Gate, but I would hazard a guess that both are more than mere businessmen.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #19962 /* ~What do you mean by that? I have had "dealings" with the Iron Throne, so I would like to know what they are up to.~ */ GOTO 5
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #19963 /* ~Well, thanks for the warning. I shall be wary.~ */ GOTO 4
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from: 1.0
  SAY #19964 /* ~Not much at all, but rumors are never in short supply. I hear that these meetings are more like negotiations, because the Iron Throne threatens to move into Knights of the Shield territory. I overheard one of them, accidentally of course, and I think the Iron Throne has gained a lot of power from the iron shortage. Appropriate, don't you think? They are meeting here because they consider it neutral ground and relatively safe. I doubt Keeper of the Tomes Ulraunt would have allowed their entry had he know who they are, though they have done nothing wrong here.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #19967 /* ~Thank you for the information. I should be going.~ */ GOTO 4
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #19968 /* ~Hmm. I don't suppose you know which rooms they are staying in?~ */ GOTO 6
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 4 // from: 5.0 3.0 2.1 1.1
  SAY #19965 /* ~Not a problem. We must get together sometime while you are here.~ */
~ JOURNAL ~I ran into old Feldane, one of the monks who has lived at Candlekeep since before I can remember. He said that there are suspicious visitors staying at the keep, and that they are making use of the meeting rooms. He suspects that several of them are from the Iron Throne, while the remainder are from the Knights of the Shield. Apparently they're here to try to preserve the peace in the Sword Coast. In his opinion neither of these groups is entirely respectable, though they have done nothing wrong while here.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 5 // from: 2.0
  SAY #19966 /* ~Oh, I hope you haven't thrown your lot in with them. I hear they are such unsavory types. More into power than commerce. I overheard them talking, and they have actually profited from the iron crisis! That's why the Knights of the Shield are here; the Iron Throne has gained a lot of influence lately and threatens to take over certain Amnish interests. I am surprised that Keeper of the Tomes Ulraunt allowed them entry, but they have done nothing wrong that can be proved.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #19970 /* ~Thanks for the information. I'll just be off to my room now.~ */ GOTO 4
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #19971 /* ~I don't suppose you know which rooms they will be using?~ */ GOTO 6
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 6 // from: 5.1 3.1
  SAY #19969 /* ~I have said too much already. I certainly don't want to seem like a gossip. I should go. Please; we should speak some other time before you go.~ */
~ JOURNAL ~I ran into old Feldane, one of the monks who has lived at Candlekeep since before I can remember. He said that there are suspicious visitors staying at the keep, and that they are making use of the meeting rooms. He suspects that several of them are from the Iron Throne, while the remainder are from the Knights of the Shield. Apparently they're here to try to preserve the peace in the Sword Coast. In his opinion neither of these groups is entirely respectable, though they have done nothing wrong while here.~ EXIT
END

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 07:07:08 PM »
And all done!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: