Author Topic: Translations: what is the point?  (Read 46007 times)

Offline miss misery

• Planewalker
  • Wow, a huge world!
Re: Translations: what is the point?
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 11:02:06 AM »
By the way, ladies: I know that the translation is huge, and I mean huge. (I'd like to say "sorry 'bout that", but I guess it won't really make sense, now, will it?) Anyway: ToB alone is about 300kb of text. That is, almost a Kelsey. So, I suppose releasing a SoA-only French/German/Spanish translation first is cool, too. Not that it makes the deal *much* simpler, but still.

ah, thats sooo wonderful, i love that little proofs that i'm clever girl. guess who has started translating with ToB filse  ;D but nevermind. its still a great fun ^^

by the way, the French version... god, if only i hadnt been sleeping during my french lesson at school. i'm sure it's gonna sound nice, thats such a beautiful language.

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
  • Be warned! Stickler for spelling & continuity =*)
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 01:10:47 PM »
So, can we look forward to hearing "La vie est si creuse..."?
I'll get there!  Someday... ::)  Seriously, I'm working on it.
As for "Life is so hollow"...  Well, I didn't use "creux", as that term is usually used for something tangible, not for something abstract.  So I thought I'd use the term "vain", which is different from the english "vain" which means "futile" in french, that "futile" meaning "trivial" in english, which in turn can be...
See what I mean?  My mind's going around in circles, I think I need a break. ;D  Been working on the journal all afternoon (and I still just looooooooooove that journal!  :-* Sweetie Xan! )
Check out my DeviantArt account<br />as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net[/font]

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »
And that would be why I don't do translations, except into English. I can elbow my way through reading a few different languages, but I can't actually speak anything besies English fluently.

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
  • Be warned! Stickler for spelling & continuity =*)
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2007, 04:37:59 PM »
And that would be why I don't do translations, except into English. I can elbow my way through reading a few different languages, but I can't actually speak anything besies English fluently.
Well, at least you speak one language correctly! :P My sister and I keep blending the two, it can become quite a sight (so to speak! ;D )!! I have to be extremely vigilant, as sometimes something sounds right in one language, because it's a certain form that sounds right to me in the other language, although it really is awful in the former, and...  ok, I'll stop there, because we've got a major run-on on our hands! ;D
Well, nearly done with the journal, but I have to take breaks pretty often, as my eyes keep blurring, and I can't see the screen anymore ( :'( Aww, Xan sweetie, we're not doomed! :-* ).  Gosh, I love that journal, Kuylok, it's one of the best ideas you've had.
Check out my DeviantArt account<br />as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net[/font]

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2007, 01:32:15 AM »
Heh, I was very inspired when I was writing it, I think: it was just before the New Year, and I posted it on the Attic on Christmas. :) And I'd just like to say once again that I really appreciate your efforts - all the more, if you are actually enjoying the process. By the way, if you'll ever feel like opening another thread on your progress specifically - feel free to.

Offline lost child

• Planewalker
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2007, 06:21:03 AM »
There is an ongoing translation project at the moment with the goal of translation all the mods for the megamod into German. It is an open project and anyone fluent in English and German is free to join. We are currently working on Xan - amongst others - and appreciate any help.

The project: WMTP
The thread for this project in a German BG forum: here

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2007, 07:38:52 AM »
Great to hear it. I hope you'll get in touch with red*eyes through this forum - I know she's working on a German translation, too, as mentioned in this very thread.

Dude101

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2007, 05:08:22 AM »
Hey great work, I have a team of translators  working with me on Fallout 2 mods like <a href="http://www.falloutfor.nm.ru/new/skrins.htm ">Dominion </a> and the megamod, its hard work I know.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »
You don't say. :) My personal culmination was a dialogue with some of my friends that went approximately like this:

"Hey, I spent last four months writing a mod for BG2! Would you like to try it?"
"BG2... English... lots of dialogues in English... no, sorry."
"Ooookaaay..."

... one year later...

"Look, Xan is fully available in Russian now! Would you like to try it?"
"I... um... er... No."

Sigh. Some people... :)

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2007, 01:37:28 PM »
Heh. Yeah, I know *exactly* what you mean. Just as well, really.

Offline miss misery

• Planewalker
  • Wow, a huge world!
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2007, 02:45:08 AM »
yup, it's really nice, when your work is appreciated, isn't it? luckily i know that at least one person will benefit from my hours and hours spent on translating, for my younger sister is dying to play Xan but she cannot, as her English is not so good. So even if no one else but her use the Polish version of the mod, i'll still feel that my work didnt go down the drain =)

Offline Captn_Immort

• Love Boat Captain
  • Planewalker
  • Take the reins and steer us towards the clear
    • Clan DLAN
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2007, 03:52:18 AM »
Note to Kulyok: We're still on it! 3000 lines done and 189319023781290 to go! Plz dont go and release a new version!!  ;D
DialogChecker makes dealing with TRA. files a lot easier! New tool for translators and modders with multi-language mods.

CLAN DLAN, your friendly neighborhood spanish community. Woo!

If you need my assistance with a translation or update of a translation please send me a PM or email. Thanks!!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2007, 03:54:55 AM »
:) Aww. You wouldn't like a real flaming sword animation, then? With Nythrun and devsin's help(or, rather, them doing the job for me), I finally finished it this morning. And there's an upgrade to +4 with a few cool abilities, too.

(There *are* a few lines, but nothing over 200 or so).

Seriously, though - very good to hear that.

Offline Captn_Immort

• Love Boat Captain
  • Planewalker
  • Take the reins and steer us towards the clear
    • Clan DLAN
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2007, 04:01:10 AM »
Damn you!! (shaking fist, k?)  I'd like to have all that, yes!!  :pirate
DialogChecker makes dealing with TRA. files a lot easier! New tool for translators and modders with multi-language mods.

CLAN DLAN, your friendly neighborhood spanish community. Woo!

If you need my assistance with a translation or update of a translation please send me a PM or email. Thanks!!

Offline DarkHeart86

• Planewalker
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2007, 04:10:17 AM »
Hi Kulyok ^__^ Can i translate your mod in italian? I have always loved Xan ^__^
If you want, which are strings that continue Bg1 Npc project? Because for now we don't have npc project in italian, then I would leave those strings for last.Talk to you soon I hope, goodbye!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2007, 12:30:06 PM »
Heya,

First, welcome to PPG, and thank you for your offer! Now, as for your question:

The "bonded" path -> the continuation of BG1 NPC is really interwoven within the mod, so it is rather difficult for me to point it out, but it is possible. Let me see:
- in ToB part, nothing, except for the dreams(the end of O#Xan25 file - if you've played the mod, you'll see).
- in SoA part, all banters that have Global("O#XanRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)  or Global("O#XanMoonbladeExtinguished","GLOBAL",3) in them. I could only point parts to you, though there's probably more:
BO#XAN - 1068-2096 3658-3756
O#XANJ - 600-780 1170-1371 4551-4572 2043-2408 and other bits and pieces - you'll find more if you compare .tra file and .d file and find variables I've indicated (O#XanRomanceActive=2)
Then, the end of O#XANP and O#XAN - 117-193.

Again, if you've played the mod at least once with every path, you'll see more.

Offline DarkHeart86

• Planewalker
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2007, 03:46:05 PM »
Uhmmm Ok ;D Anyway, Have I your permission? It's a very long job, I will employ a lot of time!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2007, 03:50:08 PM »
You do, of course - provided you send it to me when you finish SoA part, or SoA+ToB part, so I could include it in the mod in the first place. :)

Offline DarkHeart86

• Planewalker
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2007, 03:56:52 PM »
Ok! Thanks a lot ^__^ I go immediately to work! ;)

Offline DarkHeart86

• Planewalker
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2007, 11:35:21 PM »
Hi again Kulyok ^__^
I have some problems translating this:
@1076 = ~I know. Would that you only missed me, safe and unharmed...~
What do you precisely mean by "Would that you only missed me" ?
Thanks in advance for the answer ^__^

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »
"I wish that your only discomfort was missing me."

Offline DarkHeart86

• Planewalker
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2007, 02:22:54 AM »
Ok, thanks again ^__^

Offline miss misery

• Planewalker
  • Wow, a huge world!
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2007, 01:28:42 PM »
Kulyok, could you be so nice and tell me in which file and at which numbers are the new lines in v5 (or maybe that's v4? not quite sure) for ToB ? I mean those new dialogues with Valygar, regarding bonded path.
Thanks (:

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2007, 01:39:31 PM »
Every time I release a version, I simply add new lines to (mostly) O#XanJ and O#Xan25J, so you could simply compare the two for v3 and v5, for example, and see what lines got added.

Valygar's lines at the end of BO#Xan25: @1097-1346

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2007, 01:54:59 AM »
Baronius has just released an interesting module for translation handling. I'm quite used to just dumping my .tra's in Word and continuing from there, myself, but if anyone wishes to check the alternative, it is here:  http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/Tools/trep.php

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: