Author Topic: Translations: what is the point?  (Read 46004 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Translations: what is the point?
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2006, 12:53:28 PM »
While you can look at .d file to understand the text structure - if you want to, of course, it is optional - you may not change it.

The translation includes .tra files only - you make a copy of all files in English directory, and replace all English text in tiles with text in your language.

Help with translation is welcome, but to avoid duplication of work, please state your language here. For example, we have a German translation at work, where help would be very much appreciated.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 01:39:47 AM »
Russian translation is finished. Any translation offers, progress reports and inquiries are welcome in this thread or via PM.

Offline Captn_Immort

• Love Boat Captain
  • Planewalker
  • Take the reins and steer us towards the clear
    • Clan DLAN
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 05:17:36 PM »
Massive.Lines.Need.Oxygen.

Well, uhm... slowly getting there... :)
DialogChecker makes dealing with TRA. files a lot easier! New tool for translators and modders with multi-language mods.

CLAN DLAN, your friendly neighborhood spanish community. Woo!

If you need my assistance with a translation or update of a translation please send me a PM or email. Thanks!!

Inside Source

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 07:12:20 PM »
Oh god, I'm sincerely sorry for anyone who has to translate the extremely dense text of much of ToB into any other language.

I've had some experience translating things into English from Japanese, and it really taught me the value of brevity - although, one could fairly argue from the evidence of ToB, not quite soon enough.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 02:39:04 AM »
Now that version 3 is released, I hope this will be of help to our translators:

- the extra lines for version 3 were appended to the bottoms of all .tra files respectively. Version 3 content:
Setup-Xan - lines @57-74, O#XAN25P - lines @28-65, O#XAN25J - lines @406-2137, O#XANJ - lines @3228-4526, BO#XAN25 - lines @1027-1096, lines @71-73, @135, @145-148.
- judging by the number of bug reports and requests(or, rather, the absence thereof), this version is final, content-wise.

Offline miss misery

• Planewalker
  • Wow, a huge world!
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 11:39:43 AM »
just wondering...now, when we got the ah-so-great version 3, how about ths hypothetical translation? ^^ earlier in this thread some guys mentioned they'd have a try with the polish version... did they, finally? if not, i could do that

gee, i know volunteering to translate like millions of millions lines sounds a bit suicidal =P but strange as it may seem, i like that, and when i play i always keep on thinking about every single dialogue and how it'd sound in polish. really good fun, must admit =)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 12:39:29 PM »
Certainly you can. I'd try to PM them, but it's up to you.

As for it being suicidal... Well, my own speed is(was) approximately a hundred lines for hour. More if I concentrated, less if I was posting at the forums at the same time, or doing SisterVigilante's lines - not that they were particularly lengthy, it's just I wanted to do them justice. Twelve thousand lines, a hour a day - that would be four months. :)

Anyway, I am happy to say that, whereas it still can take years, I got word that both Spanish and German translations are in progress, and later or later, we'll hear the magic words "We're all doomed" in these beautiful languages.

Offline miss misery

• Planewalker
  • Wow, a huge world!
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 12:47:21 PM »
oh well, just wanted to know if they've already sent you something, so i wouldnt repeat their work.

btw, do i need to do it in some specific programme from the very beggining? or just write in stadard txt and then send to you?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 02:13:23 PM »
Windows Word uses a spellchecker, but I would not trust it, much, so, yes, a plain Notepad should work fine. Worked fine for me, at least.

Offline miss misery

• Planewalker
  • Wow, a huge world!
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 11:00:36 AM »
blast. Kulyok, i tried to send you a pm, but my lovely computer seems not to want do that =P. than here:
what should i do with masculine/femine differences in dialogues? just follow this pattern <PRO_SOMETHINGSOMETHING> with the first 'something' being male and second female?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 11:34:17 AM »
I am not sure the tokens are translated into the other languages, alas. You will have to inquire in your community about that. In Russian BG translations, all translators try to replace/delete any verbs or adjectives or other speech parts which can indicate PC's gender. For example, not "(s)he says", but "<CHARNAME> says", or, in PC's reply - "It seems to me" instead of "I thought"(thought being different for male/female PC).

Offline miss misery

• Planewalker
  • Wow, a huge world!
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 11:50:42 AM »
i know, i also try to avoid indicating gender when possible, but im afraid that in some cases it would sound really pretty unnatural. like saying "you must have been the one that did it" insted just 'you did it'. ehh.

but then, in Polish BG, there ARE different options for male/female pc's. if only i knew all that coding stuff well enough to make use of it.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 12:31:44 PM »
Heh, I know it is possible, since I've translated it myself, and Russian and Polish are not that different. But alright, alright, now I am boasting. My advice, again, would be asking around in the Polish modding community. Unfortunately, I don't know the link; perhaps people at these two forums might know?
http://phx.pl/forums/index.php?showforum=41
http://forum.cob.netarteria.pl/index.php?c=19

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
  • Be warned! Stickler for spelling & continuity =*)
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2007, 06:50:46 AM »
Greetings all, and hail to Kulyok!!

I was wondering if you still needed a hand with those translations, as I'd be willing to give the french translation a shot.  I'm no translator by trade, but due to some odd twist of fate, I grew up speaking both french and english fluently, so if you don't have anyone with more experience and/or proficiency, I'd be willing to do it.

Plus, Xan's such a sweetie, it's a pleasure reading his lines... :-* (ok, I'll stop there before I start gushing again... ;D )

So just drop me a PM or reply or whatever, if you want to call on my services (if they can be called that  :) ).
Check out my DeviantArt account<br />as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net[/font]

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2007, 07:23:48 AM »
Oh, certainly! From what I know, so far no one has stepped forward with the French translation, and the same, I think, goes for the French community:
http://forums.jeuxonline.info/showthread.php?t=752115 (Xan is colored grey).

Note: if anyone is working on the French translation in private, please step forward, as Scar of the Flaming Fist would say - this way, the work will be done even faster. :)

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask, though my French is, to put it plainly, abysmal.

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2007, 12:06:08 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the link, Kulyok! :D

I've dropped them a line to tell them I'm going to start working on translating your Xan mod, so they can keep track of things.  That way, they won't have a bunch of people working on the same thing.

I don't know when I'll finish (in fact, I don't have the slightest idea, but I can garantee it won't be tomorrow, considering the massive amount of lines there are to translate :o ), but I *will* finish!!  'Tis my duty to bring Xan to the french gamers!! ::) ;D
Check out my DeviantArt account<br />as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net[/font]

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2007, 12:26:36 PM »
This sounds both flattering and frightening at the same time. :) Good luck!

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2007, 03:11:13 PM »
Well, let me put it this way:
The good news is I've finished the "Setup-Xan.tra" file.
(You have no idea how difficult it is to translate "Whatever", an expression I've known all my life, but never have been able to translate to my french-speaking friends, let alone explain!)

The bad news is that I've all the rest of 'em to tackle! ::)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »
Heh, the funny thing is - there's no "Whatever" in Russian, either. Unless you count, um, two very rude forms... though every Russian knows *these* from the early childhood, I assure you. :) I translated it as "What is the difference?", myself.

And - wow - you've translated the entire journal! That's quite a lot already.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2007, 03:27:15 PM »
By the way, ladies: I know that the translation is huge, and I mean huge. (I'd like to say "sorry 'bout that", but I guess it won't really make sense, now, will it?) Anyway: ToB alone is about 300kb of text. That is, almost a Kelsey. So, I suppose releasing a SoA-only French/German/Spanish translation first is cool, too. Not that it makes the deal *much* simpler, but still.

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2007, 05:20:23 PM »
Oh yeah, the journal!  Oopsies! :-[ Had kept that goodie, sweet, favorite part for later, I'll just tackle it tomorrow, and get it over with! :D
I had an especially hard time with all the statistics of the moonblade, as I had never had to use the french terms, but that link you had given me was a world of help, it allowed me to get in touch with the french translators, and that was a looooooooot of help!  (Si tu me lis, Graoumf, merciiiiiiiii!).
Anyways, I'm movign much more quickly now that I'm not doing any litteral translation.  I'm trying to stick to the spirit of the thing, as you sometimes stumble upon expressions that are great in english (ie "lie down and die"), but sound horrid if you translate them as they are.   ::)  So the good news is I hope I'm doing a decent job. :P ;D

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2007, 02:34:45 AM »
Yep, I was doing the same with Russian translation - it ended up being 200kb less than the English one. I think I translated "lie down and die" as "I'll go and hang myself", as that's a more well-known phrase. It's more fun to do a more "free" translation, too. :)

Offline Eleima

• Planewalker
    • My Fanfiction.net
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2007, 07:06:03 AM »
Yep, I was doing the same with Russian translation - it ended up being 200kb less than the English one. I think I translated "lie down and die" as "I'll go and hang myself", as that's a more well-known phrase.

After pulling a couple of tufts of hair out (good thing I have a full head, eh?! :D ) over that "Why don't we just save ourselves the trouble and just lie down and die?" phrase, I opted for the "and just go ahead and kill ourselves" equivalent in french which sounded a thousand times nicer.
The thing with the Setup file is that, to me, it felt paramount that I got it right, because, let's face it, one of the phrases we hear the most is "Life is so hollow", after all. ;D  So I'm expecting the rest to be less challenging now that I got the key phrases right.

It's more fun to do a more "free" translation, too. :)
Not to mention much more legible and comprehensible. ::)

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2007, 07:17:39 AM »
So, can we look forward to hearing "La vie est si creuse..."?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2007, 07:41:58 AM »
*snicker* I've just imagined it soooo vividly. :)

(For some reason, a French Xan reminds me of Vorobianinov from "The Twelve Chairs": "M'sieu, je ne mange pas six jours..." :) )

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: