Author Topic: Impressive  (Read 13210 times)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: Impressive
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 10:20:08 AM »
Thank you very much for your detailed review.

The timing of the dialogues was pretty good, I had only three of them showing up inopportunely - one that I have mentioned already, upon Xan's joining, and two in the dragon Layers - in Firkraag's and in Adalon's.

I'll see what I can do about the first one(my main concern, however, being that many players finish the Slaver's quest, sell the spoils in the Copper Coronet, go outside, meet Valen, immediately go to Gaelan's house, and Chapter 3 begins), and BG2 Fixpack should fix last two.

The reply options were variable enough (except for one conversation, about money, which in my particular situation - I role-played a classical paladin that spends everything on the equipment or donations, and pretty much never had more than 8,000 gp in my purse- I found my self struggling to find some sort of a fitting reply).

Duly noted. I'll add one or two for this occasion.

Interjections were numerous, and that in my view was the only minus in the mod. There were just too many... and in some areas they were overwhelming - the Sahuagin city was one, and another, in the Umar Hills inn, not only Xan interjected twice in the same convo with the Inkeep, he also broke into a dialogue at waking up. It was slightly irritating - but, again - for me, though I can't say how much I appreciate the work that went into looking for all these places to interject and adding them

I don't know if anyone but me tried this, but I did the following: opened IE with SoA's dialog.tlk and went through each and every character. (Perhaps it would have worked better with Fixpack installed, now that I think of it, but I was too shy to ask for a beta). Perhaps this will be helpful for someone else.

Now that I have your feedback, as well(and I hope that other players will pipe in, too) - yes, I will be cutting. (I swear I did this before, but I guess I just love my material too much. Sulk.) Memory thing will go, Sahuagin city will suffer, Umar, too, and I'll look for vampire references.

It's a great mod, and an interesting, well-developped character and definetly a keeper. In conclusion, the cross-mod banter content will be very welcome.

Gotta agree on this one. Once it's done, I'd like to see it voiced eventually, too, once you find a voice actor for Kivan.

Offline fcm

• Muahaha?
  • Planewalker
  • Fresh
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 07:35:51 PM »
I just played through the mod on new and old romance modes, and I have to say . . . wow. Heartbreaking. I really enjoyed it. I suppose it helps that Xan is already one of my favorite characters, though. The protection spell flirt is just plain steamy. You made me blush!

I had one minor problem, though. After a few of the lovetalks that occur when the party rests -- after Xan finishes talking -- the party does not rest, and you have to click the button again. No big deal, really -- but I did think once that the party had rested and then charged into battle with no spells. Once.

EDIT!
Do you know what I just realized? Both of the things I'm talking about are from the tutu mod. I'm so sorry! Like I said, I played the game straight through and really failed to realize when which things had happened. It's too much for my smallish brain! Sorry sorry! Eeeh!  :-X

But yeah. Great job on the mod! (heh heh . . . nnnh . . . I am so stupid!)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 12:36:35 AM by fcm »
Imbriglicated!

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 08:11:45 PM »
Well, my main problem is lack of specialization in a non-melee weapon and how far he was lagging behind in levels.
Don't worry about that.  There's a bug feature in BG2 that stops ranged weapons from applying the standard non-proficiency penalty.  The only time proficiency matters with a bow, crossbow, or sling is if the user is a warrior (to get extra attacks).  Just give Xan a sling. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 08:14:34 PM by Drew »
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 12:58:40 AM »
Don't worry about that.  There's a bug feature in BG2 that stops ranged weapons from applying the standard non-proficiency penalty.  The only time proficiency matters with a bow, crossbow, or sling is if the user is a warrior (to get extra attacks).  Just give Xan a sling. 

Cool. I didn't know that - will keep it in mind.

I had one minor problem, though. After a few of the lovetalks that occur when the party rests -- after Xan finishes talking -- the party does not rest, and you have to click the button again. No big deal, really -- but I did think once that the party had rested and then charged into battle with no spells. Once.

You are talking about BG1 NPC Project, right? Do you remember which lovetalk it was? During my test runs, it was OK.
Just now I've checked Xan dialogue file from BG1 NPC, and it worked, as well... I am slightly bewildered.

Taevus

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 09:43:37 AM »
Yes it is impressive...highly impressive. The soundset is more than adequate and only adds to the experience of playing with Xan, there are lots of the little details and nice touches which are essential to make an NPC mod long-lasting, I've certainly had no experience of any bugs (one of two typos, but that's largely irrelevant) and for me, the mod feels more like its part of the game rather than just an add-in, like other NPC projects I could mention. Big thumbs up from me guys.

Also, as for the talk of giving Xan different class options...well I guess that's up to your own interpretation of the character. Certainly, if he isn't an enchanter, it may cause conflict with dialogue in the game. I find it nice that he's an enchanter as some would argue it's the weakest mage class, being unable to cast evo/invocations pells (OHNOES!!), whereas I think this quite refreshing; especially since Xan is the only mage in my three man party, so I have no access to e/i spells at all, makes for some interesting strategy in some fights.

Offline morthond

• the blackroot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 09:46:26 AM »
Yes it is impressive...highly impressive. The soundset is more than adequate and only adds to the experience of playing with Xan, there are lots of the little details and nice touches which are essential to make an NPC mod long-lasting, I've certainly had no experience of any bugs (one of two typos, but that's largely irrelevant) and for me, the mod feels more like its part of the game rather than just an add-in, like other NPC projects I could mention. Big thumbs up from me guys.

Also, as for the talk of giving Xan different class options...well I guess that's up to your own interpretation of the character. Certainly, if he isn't an enchanter, it may cause conflict with dialogue in the game. I find it nice that he's an enchanter as some would argue it's the weakest mage class, being unable to cast evo/invocations pells (OHNOES!!), whereas I think this quite refreshing; especially since Xan is the only mage in my three man party, so I have no access to e/i spells at all, makes for some interesting strategy in some fights.
^sorry, that was my post, didn't realise I had an account here lol.

In addition, if Kivan-Xan banters would be possible, I for one would definitely like to see some, as these two were always in my BG1 parties, and now always in BG2 ;)

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 09:58:17 AM »
Thank you, I am very happy to hear that our work is appreciated. :)

I've fddled a bit with different class options, and it is fun - but in the end, I prefer Xan the Enchanter, too.

If you played BG1 NPC Project, you probably have seen a drunken Kivan-Xan banter(I personally think it is hilarious). It's all Domi's work, so, yes, I guess that when she finds time to write a couple for BG2, they will be worth it. :) I don't think I'll be of much help there, except for correcting typos, but I'll do what I can, too.

ming

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2006, 11:17:22 PM »
Impressive! one of the best BG2 npc mod i've played, thank you very much for the hard work, i really really enjoy it! well written dialogues and flirts, the new voice is very good, and i love all of those small details, interjections (that made me talking to everyone on the map for this years old game once more), oh, i just love Xan, he is my favorite character,  thank you for bring him back to BG2 with this wonderful mod, and ............. i have to say, it's a shame that such a great mod (i've played bond romance path) can't take to tob, i dropped game as soon as he 'left' (hope it not a spoiler)  *sigh* heart-broken.

as for different class options, i don't think that is necessary, if my mage is an enchanter, i'll change some combat strategy. and i am looking forward to seeing some Kivan-Xan banters, love you and Domi's work for BG1 NPC Project, btw, since i played Domi's Kivan along with Xan, there is some Kivan banters mentioned Xan, like, he asked, not exact words: where (your lover) Xan is? (hello? he is next to you now!)

spoiler
spoiler
spoiler
I completely respect your interpretation of character, and love it, but somehow i have the impression that the people like Xan usually will live longer than anyone and won't die easily, fate has it own sense of humour.

my english sucks! sorry.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 12:46:02 AM »
btw, since i played Domi's Kivan along with Xan, there is some Kivan banters mentioned Xan, like, he asked, not exact words: where (your lover) Xan is? (hello? he is next to you now!)

Domi is on vacation now, but maybe it'll be corrected for Kivan's next version. I'll remind her. :)

A-a-and - yes, Xan ToB is in progress for *all* paths, though I guess it's on hold until May. Thank you in advance for your patience.

John

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 01:15:33 AM »
I'd like to add my 2 cents to this thread. 

I just finished playing SoA with Xan in my party.  I played a Cavalier and had Minsc, Auren, Kelsey, Imoen and Xan round out the party.  I tried the mod with a bit of angst because Xan is not my favorite character from BG, so I wasn't sure how I would care about a continuation of the morose mage in BG2.  He reminds me so much of Marvin the Robot from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy :)

I agree with much of what Ashara said about your mod.  One thing I disagree with was that I liked that Xan would make interjections during conversations between the pc and some of the npcs in the game, I'm referring to those npcs who are store keepers or such.  It gave the game a much more realistic flavor and fit in with his personality.  In some ways, it was a bit campy because his comments were foreshadowing events, but in others his comments were just what I would like to tell some of the npcs :)  IMO, I'd keep those interjections as they are and not edit them out.  The only thing I'd caution is to not let them force actions on the pc as I've seen a different mod do; that can just kill the story immersion, imo.

So it was a lot of fun.  The downside was that I never really got a good handle on how to use him for fights.  I've never played an Enchanter before and am used to a much different choice of spells.  Those were precluded due to Xan being an enchanter (e.g., magic missile, mmm, sequencers).  I found that I was just having him sit on the sidelines during major fights.  Again, that was just because I couldn't see how to use him effectively.  It never occurred to me to try Watcher's Keep.  I did find a merchant who sold normal throwing daggers for him to use so that he wouldn't run into the fray until I could add sling proficiency.  However, I don't suggest changing anything because that's what he was in BG1, and I favor continuity for story telling purposes.  I suppose the one thing that seemed contradictory, and someone else already mentioned it, was that his proficienies were dagger and quarterstaff but that he is a wielder of a Moonblade which IIRC is described in game as a long sword.  I don't remember seeing any dialogue that explains how a mage, i.e., Xan, could even equip a long sword because it's not an allowed weapon for mages.

All in all, a very enjoyable mod that to me captured Xan's BG personality and showed very great attention to story telling.  I'm not sure how often I will include him in future parties.  It's not because of the quality of the mod but that I find it hard to be around someone who's always so depressed :)  It's a tribute that you could make Xan interesting in spite of his severely heightened sense of a short life :)

Offline Vasculio

• Baldur's Gate
  • Planewalker
  • Death comes for you! Feel its icy breath!
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 03:40:31 AM »
Sorry to say Kulyok, but i did not enjoy the new VO talent. So in my game, i resigned back all the bioware voicesets and let the imagination do the rest.

The dialog is good.

I currently have the Xan in the party and he's a rocks!

Montaron- Ye goody-goodies make me sick!
Xzar- Must we be so insufferably charitable?!

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
My bud, Xan
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 10:54:59 AM »
I'm not yet finished SoA with Xan, in Chap 5, but I'll give me review now and will expand it late.

Before getting to the cookies, gonna start with the vinegar.

Vinegar:

Voicing.
Just before I started a recent new SoA/ToB game I wanted to test an install image so I ran the tutorial. I never used it before, so surprise-surprise there was Xan, as we originally know and love him! He actually seemd to have more life than in BG1.

It was then I realized: I really don't like your voicing, not because it doesn't sound like the original actor but because it doesn't have the same cadence, the same condescending, bored, flaming, over-the-top tone that is true Xan. Go to the tutorial and you'll immediately see what I mean.

Your actor sounds like someone doing a very, very bad British/Sean-Connery impression. AAMOF, I think I recognize the voice from TDD or BP mods and I didn't like his voice there either.

My hope is that you'll do a revoicing that evokes the original nature and character of Xan.

Interjections.
The overall feel I get from Xan's comments is that he's kind of pushy and superior and overly judgmental. He asks my opinion on deep subjects, then goes on to tell me how I should think about them, and seemingly snubs me if I don't think his way.

I've always seen him as fatalistic but funny, apathetic but protective, presumably miserable but sinfully gleeful at times when things go right ("We may actually have a chance!"). He's not a teacher, mentor or lecturer. Still, he does care deeply about some things, and presumably cares about CHARNAME's wellbeing.

His first comments to Viconia were kind of threatening. The way I read it, he was telling her that she better watch her steps or else he'ld take of her. Not smart considering that 1. he doesn't really know her that well, even if they met in BG1, and 2. she could and would whoop his ass without a second thought. For some reason, it pissed me off that he was talking to her that way - guess because that's my job!

I would have written that section with Xan first relating to CHARNAME how dangerous Viconia could be, then his first comments to her would essentially show that he will protect CHARNAME against her presumed treachery. My hope is that as I keep both NPCs they'll learn to respect even admire each other more.

Cookies:

The best thing I love about this mod is that Xan is not a superhero (or a Mary-Sue), and doesn't have weapons or powers or summoned creatures that are not part of standard gear. It's the reason why I stopped using NPCs that are listed in my install list, and do not use other NPC mods. Stats-wise he justs an average BG1-style NPC that gets the chance to develop in a greater adventure. His Moonblade is cute but effectively useless. I hope there's no big quest that he's pursuing that ONLY he can resolve, with my character simply along for the ride. (A forewarning: if he is, I will be back to compalin about this.)

Not-a-spoiler: I found or won a magic throwing dagger, can't remember where, that is obviously from the mod and obviously for Xan's use. It's not overpowered and will be supplanted as your party gains better gear.

EDIT: the dagger comes from the Limited Wish Adventure. Am I the only one who still goes thru that?

Xan-as-Enchater is fine by me so far. Sure he doesn't have the firepower of other mages, but I've been using him as a disabler against mages and a monster summoner. Teleport Field - memorize it, use it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 06:23:25 PM by Azazello »
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 04:38:11 PM »
If you think Viccy can whup Xan's butt, you need more practice playing wizards. :-\
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 06:21:23 PM »
^ With the mods I have installed, Xan might just make one turn of combat vs. the 'V', IF she misses all of her MR rolls. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be a fair fight.
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 06:35:07 PM »
Buff and then summon something.  At higher levels you could buff and Cast Tenser's.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.  You could also lower her resistance (after buffing).  As an enchanter, Xan isn't really a "direct damage" kind of mage, anyway.  There's no way Viccy could break through Stoneskin and mirror image before Xan's summons would chunk her.  You could also have Xan cast Stoneskin, Mirror Image, and then polymorph into a spider.  He'll get 4 or 5 attacks and they all poison.....

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2006, 03:53:51 PM »
And while Xan's doing all this casting, Vic is doing what? If you're assuming she'll be whacking his buffs, trying to get them down...

All of your casting - buffs, summons - everything except Stoneskin, can be foiled without a single spell being casted. Cast all you like, cast every spell in your book, they will run out. And once they do, then the cat skinning begins.

'Think out of the box,' the cliche goes. With your tactics, which is what scripted enemies use, Xan is trying to beat Vic to the finish line. But there is no finish line. This isn't a race, to see who wins first. It's a fight, the winner is the last person standing.

I learned my tactics from having my party's a$$ served to them by these scripted enemies ("do you want fries with that?"). After the first dozens times, finally learned how to fight. You wanna learned how? Let's not sidetracked this thread; we can start another.
Community Contributions

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2006, 04:27:08 PM »
And while Xan's doing all this casting, Vic is doing what? If you're assuming she'll be whacking his buffs, trying to get them down...
I'm not.  Thing is....Viccy can't use unholy smite (Xan is neutral) although she would have a chance if she had that glyph thing memorized.  I'm not arguing that Xan would automatically hand Viccy her ass, but it isn't so cut and dry, either. Who wins is a function of tactics.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2006, 01:40:01 AM »
@John: thank you for your review. About long sword proficiency: I'm afraid it's coded into the game that plain mages cannot become proficient in longswords, so, actually, Moonblade is, in terms of game mechanics, a dagger. I am sorry it has to be this way - same as BG1, by the way - but, alas, there was no other choice. He inherited his Moonblade from his father, which is explained in all three paths, I think.

@Azazello:

AAMOF, I think I recognize the voice from TDD or BP mods and I didn't like his voice there either.

I think if it was true, Jason would have never given me hosting. :) I am sorry to hear about your problem, though. You could ask Vasculio about means of replacing the soundset(or see VO thread), but, as I have already said, for me new VO is an integral part of the mod, and I do not see the old soundset as a fitting alternative, especially with it being meant for BG1, not BG2.

I think that your impression of Xan's character in BG2 is quite fair - different people have different interpretations, and I myself was quite on edge with BG1 NPC interpretation, when I discovered the mod about two years ago. But here, I think, is another case: a year passes between the events of BG1 and BG2, after all. More, if you look at Jaheira or Imoen during BG1 and then BG2, you'll notice that they have undergone a very serious change of character. I am not sure if the same holds true for Xan - I tried my best to make Xan SoA consistent with BG1 NPC, and I'll do my best to make sure that Xan ToB is consistent with both - but it is definitely a thing to keep in mind.

But he does have this "Young Charname, don't you understand that we are doomed? No, of course you don't." line of thought often, I agree.

With Viconia joining: hmm, I always pictured this line as him rolling his eyes and accepting the inevitable, and her, naturally, reacting at this phrase of his in a hostile way(she just narrowly escaped burning, so she isn't in the mood to give flowers around):
Xan: Please, do not tell me that you are about to worm your way into our party. Anything but this...
Viconia: I am not opposed to you yet, darthiir. Do not interrupt me if you do not wish us to come as enemies.

Some of their banter is quite compassionate - they do not leap at each other's throats, though they still snap at each other a bit.

And - thank you very much for your reviews.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2006, 02:47:44 AM »
@Kulyok:  Technically speaking, you could easily change the classification of the Moonblade from dagger to longsword and even give Xan longsword proficiency.....Xan would still be able to use the altered Moonblade as long as you don't flag it unuseable by wizards, but he would be unable to use any other longswords (unless, of course, AoE or Victor's Weapons for All is installed).  Aside from using his Moonblade, however, that Long Sword proficiency would be utterly useless, since it would enable Xan to wield exactly one weapon without proficiency penalties.

EDIT:  One other thought.....you could always edit the Moonblade so that it gives longsword proficiency as an equipable effect.  That way there would be  a "rules compliant" explanation for why a pure wizard is running around with a sword in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 08:42:56 AM by Drew »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: