Author Topic: Quoningar restoration  (Read 10473 times)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Quoningar restoration
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:13:33 PM »
QUONIN.DLG was apparently tied to another gopher quest:

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
  SAY #15528 /* ~Do not disturb the meditations of the holy.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from:
  SAY #15532 /* ~It is hard for me to pursue my meditations in the bustle of this city. Could I ask your assistance in obtaining a potion of mind focusing?~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ JOURNAL #15809 /* ~The priest Quoningar, apparently as unused to the city's endless bustle as myself, is looking for a potion of mind focusing. Without it, I doubt if he will ever finish his meditations...~ */ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from:
  SAY #15538 /* ~Please, unless you have a potion of mind focusing, I must return to my near-futile motivations.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from:
  SAY #15539 /* ~For all its many brutalities, I am grateful to have found people such as yourselves to soften this city's rougher edges. You may call me Quoningar, if you will. Please, take this hammer of mine to remember me by when next you venture into battle.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~AddexperienceParty(500)
ReputationInc(1)
~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 4 // from:
  SAY #15540 /* ~For all its many brutalities, I am grateful to have found people such as yourselves to soften this city's rougher edges. You may call me Quoningar, if you will. Please, take these potions of magic blocking. I get the sense that one could need them in these streets.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~AddexperienceParty(500)
ReputationInc(1)
~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 5 // from:
  SAY #15541 /* ~This city scares me, friend. Every day I stay here, I grow more concerned.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 6 // from:
  SAY #15542 /* ~I cannot bear this city but perhaps it would be more enjoyable without you around!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

Suggestions on where to place him?  Somewhere in Baldur's Gate (the city), I'd guess.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
Re: Quoningar restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 05:09:02 PM »
A very preliminary sketch of how I'd imagine the Quoningar quest to be restored. The only real difficult thing here is that there aren't any good war hammers to reward (war hammer +1 would be worth less than 2 potions of magic blocking, but I think it'd be the better reward). The rep increase is also questionable.
Code: [Select]
// maybe gnome or half-elf?
COPY_EXISTING ~~ ~OVERRIDE/U!QUONIN.CRE~
  SAY 0x8 ~Quoningar~
  SAY 0xc ~Quoningar~
  // check generic stats
  // probably INNOCENT class
  // scripts: SHOUT, maybe PRIEST*, WTASIGHT (or should run?)
  // dlg: QUONIN
  // have hammer equipped (possibly not wielded)
  // have potions quick item (or just GiveItemCreate())

<<<<<<<< .../bg1ub/eb_ar1234.baf
IF
Global("UB_QUONIN_SPAWN","GLOBAL",1)
!Exists("U!QUONIN")
!Dead("U!QUONIN")
Global("UB_HelpQuoningar","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("U!QUONIN",[0.0],0)
ActionOverride("U!QUONIN",Face(0))
SetGlobal("UB_QUONIN_SPAWN","GLOBAL",1)
END
>>>>>>>>
EXTEND_BOTTOM AR1234.BCS ~.../bg1ub/eb_ar1234.baf~

BEGIN QUONIN
IF WEIGHT #1 ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)
ReactionLT(LastTalkedToBy,8)~ 0
SAY #15528 /* ~Do not disturb the meditations of the holy.~ */
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF WEIGHT #2 ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)
ReactionGT(LastTalkedToBy,7)~ 1
SAY #15532 /* ~It is hard for me to pursue my meditations in the bustle of this city. Could I ask your assitance in obtaining a potion of mind focusing?~ */
IF ~~ DO ~SetGlobal("UB_HelpQuonin","GLOBAL",2)~ JOURNAL #15809 /* ~The priest Quoningar, apparently as unused to the city's endless bustle as myself, is looking for a potion of mind focusing. Without it, I doubt if he will ever finish his meditations...~ */ EXIT
END

IF WEIGHT #5 ~Global("UB_HelpQuoningar","GLOBAL",2)
!PartyHasItem("POTN37")~ 2
SAY #15538 /* ~Please, unless you have a potion of mind focusing, I must return to my near-futile motivations.~ */
IF ~~ EXIT
END

// hammer +1 maybe not work so well
IF WEIGHT #3 ~Global("UB_HelpQuoningar","GLOBAL",2)
ReactionGT(LastTalkedToBy,14)
PartyHasItem("POTN37")~ 3
SAY #15539 /* ~For all its many brutalities, I am grateful to have found people such as yourselves to soften this city's rougher edges. You may call me Quoningar, if you will. Please, take this hammer of mine to remember me by when next you venture into battle.~ */
IF ~~ DO ~TakePartyItem("POTN37")
AddexperienceParty(500)
SetGlobal("UB_HelpQuoningar","GLOBAL",1)
GiveItem("HAMM02",LastTalkedToBy)
//ReputationInc(1) -- I think not?~ EXIT // Finished JOURNAL ??
END

// Turns out, potions of magic blocking worth more than hammer +1
IF WEIGHT #4 ~Global("UB_HelpQuoningar","GLOBAL",2)
ReactionLT(LastTalkedToBy,15)
PartyHasItem("POTN37")~ 4
SAY #15540 /* ~For all its many brutalities, I am grateful to have found people such as yourselves to soften this city's rougher edges. You may call me Quoningar, if you will. Please, take these potions of magic blocking. I get the sense that one could need them in these streets.~ */
AddexperienceParty(500)
SetGlobal("UB_HelpQuoningar","GLOBAL",1)
GiveItem("POTN33",LastTalkedToBy)
//ReputationInc(1) -- I think not?~ EXIT // Finished JOURNAL ??
END

IF WEIGHT #0 ~StateCheck(Myself,8192)~ 5
SAY #15541 /* ~This city scares me, friend. Every day I stay here, I grow more concerned.~ */
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ 6 // HOSTILE string reference (these are always False()d -- set as 0x198 in creature def)
SAY #15542 /* ~I cannot bear this city but perhaps it would be more enjoyable without you around!~ */
IF ~~ EXIT
END

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:39:59 PM »
I must admit to being in the Virtue > Reputation camp.  I just don't see Quoningar being the type to praise your deeds from the rooftops.  I'm not opposed to it, however, if it's What The People Want™.  I'd also say stick with the Hammer +2.  The Hammer +2 in the game is gotten off of Bassilus, and the +1/+4 v. Giants comes from someone else, and I'd rather not duplicate either of those.  I also don't want it to be all about the booty, so no importing from other games.

For the finished journal entry, maybe: ~Upon bring Quoningar the potion he needed for his meditations, we were graciously rewarded.  At least someone in this bustling city can find some quiet and inner peace.~ 

Finally, as for location--I'd say in the upstairs of some BG tavern.  I don't see him sitting in an alley trying to relax.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »
How about AR0117, the Helm and Cloak?

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 07:55:06 PM »
I must admit to being in the Virtue > Reputation camp.  I just don't see Quoningar being the type to praise your deeds from the rooftops.  I'm not opposed to it, however, if it's What The People Want™.  I'd also say stick with the Hammer +2.  The Hammer +2 in the game is gotten off of Bassilus, and the +1/+4 v. Giants comes from someone else, and I'd rather not duplicate either of those.  I also don't want it to be all about the booty, so no importing from other games.

For the finished journal entry, maybe: ~Upon bring Quoningar the potion he needed for his meditations, we were graciously rewarded.  At least someone in this bustling city can find some quiet and inner peace.~ 

Finally, as for location--I'd say in the upstairs of some BG tavern.  I don't see him sitting in an alley trying to relax.
Yeah. I'll think about it, but I *really* don't want him to give anything too special (definitely not the Durlag quest hammer, and the +2 hammer has a unique description). I like the war hammer +1 (I think it works really well for a generic Chapter 5-7 reward), but those damn potions are worth 1500 gold apiece!

I would leave the journal entries out and let you or someone else come up with the text, but I like what you've posted. I agree with sticking him in some tavern; I was thinking of the ducal palace area or the High House area, but I have to reboot into Mac OS 9 to check these things.

-- where is the Helm and Cloak (which section of the city)?

EDIT: and, the more I think about it, the more I want him to be a gnome (although a dwarf would work just as well, I suppose)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 08:07:36 PM »
I'm pretty happy with this as the final dialogue. It uses the standard reaction checks (all Baldur's Gate dialogues do this, and there really are a lot of cases where you miss out on these quests if your reaction is too low or too high). The charmed state is always weighted 0 (they should turn hostile afterward, and you have no chance to complete their quest), and the quest is only given the first time (again, standard for Baldur's Gate, meaning you need a good reaction the first time you speak to him, otherwise you can't ever get the quest). I've left in the hostile response, but as I said in the earlier post, these are always accessed from the creature file (0x198; I guess at one point hostile characters may have actually started dialogue and the triggers for these would have been Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)). I don't see a problem with just creating this one (as opposed to REPLACE or other coding), especially since the whole dialogue is unused (it could be done with REPLACE, but then I'd have to do SET_WEIGHT too).

I don't like the reputation increase, but I want to search for all the increases in Baldur's Gate (I could just be thinking too much like Baldur's Gate II, where the reputation adjustment is very rare). The rewards obviously may change, but it would just mean updating the resref.
BEGIN QUONIN
SAY #15528
IF ~~ EXIT
END

SAY #15532
IF ~~ DO ~SetGlobal("UB_HELPQUONINGAR","GLOBAL",2)~ JOURNAL #15809 EXIT
END

IF WEIGHT #5 ~Global("UB_HELPQUONINGAR","GLOBAL",2)
SAY #15538
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF WEIGHT #3 ~Global("UB_HELPQUONINGAR","GLOBAL",2)
SAY #15539
AddexperienceParty(500)
SetGlobal("UB_HELPQUONINGAR","GLOBAL",1)
GiveItem("HAMM02",LastTalkedToBy)~ JOURNAL ~Upon bring Quoningar the potion he needed for his meditations, we were graciously rewarded.  At least someone in this bustling city can find some quiet and inner peace.~ EXIT
END

IF WEIGHT #4 ~Global("UB_HELPQUONINGAR","GLOBAL",2)
SAY #15540
AddexperienceParty(500)
GiveItem("POTN33",LastTalkedToBy)~ JOURNAL ~Upon bring Quoningar the potion he needed for his meditations, we were graciously rewarded.  At least someone in this bustling city can find some quiet and inner peace.~ EXIT
END

SAY #15541
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ 6
SAY #15542
IF ~~ EXIT
END

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 08:19:32 PM »

Yeah. I'll think about it, but I *really* don't want him to give anything too special (definitely not the Durlag quest hammer, and the +2 hammer has a unique description). I like the war hammer +1 (I think it works really well for a generic Chapter 5-7 reward), but those damn potions are worth 1500 gold apiece!

I would leave the journal entries out and let you or someone else come up with the text, but I like what you've posted. I agree with sticking him in some tavern; I was thinking of the ducal palace area or the High House area, but I have to reboot into Mac OS 9 to check these things.

-- where is the Helm and Cloak (which section of the city)?

EDIT: and, the more I think about it, the more I want him to be a gnome (although a dwarf would work just as well, I suppose)

Um, yeah, typo on my part.  I meant stick with Hammer +1, not +2.  :)

EDIT: Oh, and the Helm and Cloak is up near the Silverstar estate, iirc.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 08:21:28 PM by icelus »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 08:22:53 PM »
I'm pretty happy with this as the final dialogue. It uses the standard reaction checks (all Baldur's Gate dialogues do this, and there really are a lot of cases where you miss out on these quests if your reaction is too low or too high). The charmed state is always weighted 0 (they should turn hostile afterward, and you have no chance to complete their quest), and the quest is only given the first time (again, standard for Baldur's Gate, meaning you need a good reaction the first time you speak to him, otherwise you can't ever get the quest). I've left in the hostile response, but as I said in the earlier post, these are always accessed from the creature file (0x198; I guess at one point hostile characters may have actually started dialogue and the triggers for these would have been Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)). I don't see a problem with just creating this one (as opposed to REPLACE or other coding), especially since the whole dialogue is unused (it could be done with REPLACE, but then I'd have to do SET_WEIGHT too).

I don't like the reputation increase, but I want to search for all the increases in Baldur's Gate (I could just be thinking too much like Baldur's Gate II, where the reputation adjustment is very rare). The rewards obviously may change, but it would just mean updating the resref.

I don't have any problems with rebuilding the dialog from scratch.  As you said, the original one isn't used, and it served its purpose by letting us see what was cut. 

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 08:27:12 PM »
Should the CRE just be included (e.g., COPY ~ub/quonin.cre~ ~override~)? I have a patch to turn a default Brathlen into Quoningar, but it'd be ugly to try and make it compatible where somebody might have modified BRATHL.CRE. Also, I don't know if you want correct or pnp stats, or if I can leave Quo with the BioWare "I don't give a shit" stats that Brathlen has.
COPY_EXISTING ~BRATHL.CRE~ ~OVERRIDE/U!QUONIN.CRE~ // Quoningar v0.8
  SAY 0x8 ~Quoningar~
  SAY 0xc ~Quoningar~
  SAY 0xa4 #4931
  SAY 0xec #12582
  SAY 0xf0 #12583
  SAY 0x10c #4929
  SAY 0x110 #4931
  SAY 0x198 #15542
  WRITE_ASCII 0x250 "" #8
  WRITE_ASCII 0x2cc "QUONIN" #8
  WRITE_BYTE 0x272 0x6   // Gnome
  WRITE_BYTE 0x27b 0x12  // Lawful Neutral
  WRITE_SHORT 0x28 24578 // Cleric, Male, Dwarf
  READ_LONG 0x2bc itmOff
  WRITE_ASCII itmOff + 0x14 HAMM02 #8
  WRITE_ASCII itmOff + 0x28 POTN33 #8

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 08:31:02 PM »
I think that since Quoningar doesn't currently have a .cre file, it'd be better to make the .cre file beforehand and copy it to the override.  I don't care about correct PNP stats.  :)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 08:34:08 PM »
So that means I can just apply the patch to Brathlen and then send you Quoningar?

The Helm and Cloak is a little crowded -- Gorpel and the merry fooles thing happens on the main floor, Sarah and her two guards are upstairs (although the left room is empty), and the huge room is supposed to be the innkeep's or something, no? It looks a little too upperclass?

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 08:38:58 PM »
I'm thinking it's going to be the Three Old Kegs? I have to drop into Mac OS 9 to find the right spot, but it looks pretty close to what I'd imagined.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 08:40:21 PM »
Three Old Kegs is fine.  And, sure, if you want to send me the new .cre file from the patch, you can email it to me at icelus1@yahoo.com

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 08:42:24 PM »
Do you want to overwrite the old QUONIN.DLG, or use U!QUONIN.DLG (assuming ! resrefs actually work)?

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 08:49:36 PM »
Let's go with a prefixed version.  How about UBQUON.DLG?

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 08:54:45 PM »
Let's go with a prefixed version.  How about UBQUON.DLG?
OK. (I'll actually just UB everything; I'm not a fan of the !).

Quoningar restored.

I'm dropping out to test and make sure it works, and then I'll post the updated code and a link to the CRE.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 09:34:50 PM »
I placed him by the plant in the upper-left corner of the second level of the inn.
<<<<<<<< .../bg1ub/eb_ar0120.baf
IF
Global("UB_QUONIN_SPAWN","GLOBAL",0)
!Exists("UBQUON")
!Dead("UBQUON")
Global("UB_HELPQUONINGAR","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("UBQUON",[464.157],0)
END
>>>>>>>>
EXTEND_BOTTOM AR0120.BCS ~.../bg1ub/eb_ar0120.baf~

His dialogue functions (he gives the quest once, it completes, and he has nothing to say after that). I wasn't able to check the low reaction, though, but I don't see any issues with the code.
BEGIN UBQUON
SAY #15528
IF ~~ EXIT
END

SAY #15532
END

SAY #15538
IF ~~ EXIT
END

SAY #15539
AddexperienceParty(500)
GiveItem("HAMM02",LastTalkedToBy)~ JOURNAL ~~ EXIT
END

SAY #15540
AddexperienceParty(500)
GiveItemCreate("POTN33",LastTalkedToBy,0,0,0)
GiveItemCreate("POTN33",LastTalkedToBy,0,0,0)~ JOURNAL ~~ EXIT
END

SAY #15541
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ 6
SAY #15542
IF ~~ EXIT
END

You can grab the CRE file. Let me know that it works.

You can tweak his colors or sounds if you want, and if you want to spawn him closer to one of the tables, that's OK.

After all this, I don't even know how many potions of mind focusing there are in the game. Hopefully the player can find one this late. ;)

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 09:37:22 PM »
Oops. Here's the dialogue that actually has the JOURNAL strings (these can be traifyed later, of course).
BEGIN UBQUON
SAY #15528
IF ~~ EXIT
END

SAY #15532
END

SAY #15538
IF ~~ EXIT
END

SAY #15539
AddexperienceParty(500)
GiveItem("HAMM02",LastTalkedToBy)~ JOURNAL ~Upon bring Quoningar the potion he needed for his meditations, we were graciously rewarded.  At least someone in this bustling city can find some quiet and inner peace.~ EXIT
END

SAY #15540
AddexperienceParty(500)
GiveItemCreate("POTN33",LastTalkedToBy,0,0,0)
GiveItemCreate("POTN33",LastTalkedToBy,0,0,0)~ JOURNAL ~Upon bring Quoningar the potion he needed for his meditations, we were graciously rewarded.  At least someone in this bustling city can find some quiet and inner peace.~ EXIT
END

SAY #15541
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ 6
SAY #15542
IF ~~ EXIT
END

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2006, 02:36:35 PM »
OK, here's the current code for the component.  I tested it, and everything seems to work A-OK.

BEGIN ~Quoningar the Cleric~

COPY ~bg1ub/quoningar/ubquon.cre~ ~override~

COMPILE ~bg1ub/quoningar/ubquon.d~

<<<<<<<< .../bg1ub/eb_ar0120.baf
IF
Global("UB_QUONIN_SPAWN","GLOBAL",0)
!Exists("UBQUON")
!Dead("UBQUON")
Global("UB_HELPQUONINGAR","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
CreateCreature("UBQUON",[464.157],0)
END
>>>>>>>>
EXTEND_BOTTOM AR0120.BCS ~.../bg1ub/eb_ar0120.baf~

Will wiki.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: