Author Topic: Xan NPC for BG2 available  (Read 16100 times)

Offline RavenBlack

• Planewalker
    • MySpace
Re: Xan NPC for BG2 available
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 05:37:46 PM »
*stares at screen, stunned*

One of my dearest BG2-related wishes just came true.

Thank you from the bottom of my Elf-loving heart :) *happily downloading as she types*

Sha

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 11:15:21 PM »
Thank you so much for this Mod.

I'd never done an NPC mod before, but I saw Xan and I knew I had to try it out. He was one of two favourites in BG1 (Shar-Teel being the other one). I have to say I am most pleased with the result (so far. I'm not done yet).

I've eventually gotten used to his voice actor, who really did a good job having such big shoes to fill. So all naysayers  :P to you.

Again thank you. I look forward to other releases.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 12:06:57 AM »
I've eventually gotten used to his voice actor, who really did a good job having such big shoes to fill. So all naysayers  :P to you.

Yay! ^_^

And, again, thank you, everyone.

Offline Necaradan666

• Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 07:18:08 PM »

Is there any possibility of including an original Xan soundset in a future release? I don't much like the current one, just doesn't  sound like Xan to me.

Otherwise anyone know where I can get a Xan soundset renamed for BG2 without too much trouble?
I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 12:42:13 AM »

Is there any possibility of including an original Xan soundset in a future release? I don't much like the current one, just doesn't  sound like Xan to me.

This is not possible, since Xan doesn't have a full soundset in BG1. He has only three select/confirm lines, and one battle cry.

Offline Necaradan666

• Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2006, 05:47:09 AM »

That hardly matters, I have Kivan in my current game too, he sounds great mostly because when I click on him he doesn't scream "Mod!". That's okay though I'll extract the Bio soundset myself.

The mod is pretty good but Xan sometimes says things at inappropriate times, such as suggesting sarcastic like that we just kill a few more dragons - before we've ever seen a dragon much less have a chance of beating one! :o

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2006, 05:58:57 AM »
That hardly matters, I have Kivan in my current game too, he sounds great mostly because when I click on him he doesn't scream "Mod!". That's okay though I'll extract the Bio soundset myself.

Kivan aside, do you mean recording quality, accent, age, volume, or the difference between old and new voices?

The mod is pretty good but Xan sometimes says things at inappropriate times, such as suggesting sarcastic like that we just kill a few more dragons - before we've ever seen a dragon much less have a chance of beating one!

Well, if you were mercilessly woken up after a long, hard day, I'd look what you would say. :) But, yeah, he's quite prone to hyperboles. I might look further into this one. "A goblin/troll or two" might work here.

Offline Necaradan666

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2006, 07:16:18 AM »
Yeah, it's just the difference from his old set. It doesn't bother me when a dude like Kelsey has an unofficial voice, but always grates when it's one of the old crew, just a personal peeve, I wouldn't expect you to go changing things after you already went to all that effort. Apart from that Xan's soundset is good, I can tell the voice actor is doing Xan though in the longer sentences words do seem to run together, but maybe that's just me not listening properly
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 07:21:18 AM by Necaradan666 »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 07:19:24 AM »

Yeah, it's just the difference from his old set. It doesn't bother me when a dude like Kelsey has an unofficial, but always grates when it's one of the old crew. Apart from that Xan's soundset is good enough, I can tell the voice actor is doing Xan.

Thank you. I wish you luck with replacing original soundset - I am not sure how it is done technically, but I know Domi has tried something, since Kivan will possibly have a voice actor some day, too. She might know.

Offline Necaradan666

• Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2006, 07:25:36 AM »
Just extract them from BG1, they have to be renamed to match the BG2 way of doing things and as you said there are less lines, so a few might have to be repeats. They obviously can't match up to the dialogue of the mod so when Xan interjects he'll just say one of his standard lines.

There are a few Xan soundsets for download, I'm not sure any are renamed correctly for BG2 though.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 07:27:29 AM by Necaradan666 »

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2006, 08:19:37 AM »
Well. I cannot hire Jeff Bennett, since Interplay holds all the rights for Baldur's Gate series. So I cannot augment BG1 soundset, and as it is, I do not view it as satisfactory. As I said, I do not mind if someone uses Xan's BG1 soundset in Xan BG2 NPC mod for personal use - I understand how a player can be attached to Jeff Bennett's voice, - but I will not be including it into the mod itself.

Offline Sha

• Planewalker
  • Sha guides my hand. :D
    • my craptacular space
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006, 08:54:39 AM »
I thought most of Xan's Soundset was transferred from BG1 to BG2 since he was in the tutorial. Or am I wrong?
There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. - Oscar Wilde

--

You are amusing in a "what the hell is wrong with you" kind of way. - Jaheira

Offline joie

• Planewalker
    • u5 : lazarus
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2006, 09:59:03 AM »
Some sounds were, not all of them.  A few of the combat and selection sounds if I remember correctly.

Offline Sha

• Planewalker
  • Sha guides my hand. :D
    • my craptacular space
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2006, 10:05:55 AM »
Some sounds were, not all of them.  A few of the combat and selection sounds if I remember correctly.

Yer right. I'm all buffleheaded.
There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. - Oscar Wilde

--

You are amusing in a "what the hell is wrong with you" kind of way. - Jaheira

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2006, 06:55:39 PM »
There are a few Xan soundsets for download, I'm not sure any are renamed correctly for BG2 though.

The Baldur's Gate Adventurer's Guild Ledger (hosted by PBG) had full soundsets for BG2 cobbled together from all the BG1 NPC soundsets. The ones I tried were ok, if a smidge choppy.

You'd have to queue for a FilePlanet download though.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline Vasculio

• Baldur's Gate
  • Planewalker
  • Death comes for you! Feel its icy breath!
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2006, 05:27:56 PM »
Wow a Xan mod, sounds cool! My question is... how did you give him extra voice tracks?
Montaron- Ye goody-goodies make me sick!
Xzar- Must we be so insufferably charitable?!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2006, 11:26:34 PM »
Wow a Xan mod, sounds cool! My question is... how did you give him extra voice tracks?

All ~200 Xan lines, starting from good old "Life is so hollow" to new "It's hopeless" are voiced by the same (new) voice actor.

Offline Vasculio

• Baldur's Gate
  • Planewalker
  • Death comes for you! Feel its icy breath!
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2006, 04:52:50 PM »
Thats cool!
Montaron- Ye goody-goodies make me sick!
Xzar- Must we be so insufferably charitable?!

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2006, 10:06:10 PM »
Just stopping by to give some feedback on Xan.

I'll start by saying that this morning, at about 10:00 AM, I started playing this mod. It's now 11:00 PM and I've only taken a few breaks from the computer, to eat and the like.

I think you did a great job on Xan. I love the new voice set, and although I'm nowhere near completion of the romance (as in, chapter 3) I love how it's going so far. I can't wait to see what he'll say next, and how he'll respond to events in the game. And I'm sure once I finish it that I'm going to play it again, with a different PC, just to try out replies that I haven't said before. Xan was my favorite NPC in BG1 and I was heartbroken when he wasn't in BG2. Discovering this mod made my day.

So, congratulations on a mod that has kept me occupied for about 11 hours+ (I play -really- slowly though, so don't mind me) and very well entertained. Keep up the great work!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2006, 11:41:50 PM »
Thank you for the feedback! If you have any issues with it later, you are welcome to stop by and let us know. :) ToB part is being worked on, so do not despair if, um, things do not work out quite the way you wanted.

Offline Lord Doomhammer

• Overlord of Fools
  • Planewalker
  • bruce Willis is an ugly, ugly man
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2006, 11:25:53 AM »
A Xan mod! Nerts! Now I have to play through BG2 Again! Tsk tsk
So full of hate!

"I.. have.. come.. to.. em.. ploy.. you.. in.. my.. fac.. tory.. in.. starns.. bury."

Also answers to 'Lord Schicksalhammer'

Offline Xiao_Caity

• Planewalker
  • Whaaaaaat?
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2006, 10:39:03 PM »
Oooooooooooh. I never actually got to PLAY the original BG (damn you Harvey Norman!), but I did find Xan amusing in the tutorial. This makes me one happy homocidal puppy. *tail wag*

Hrm, which crazy BG-2 worshipping friend to tell about this first?
Chivalry isn't dead - it's just very, very confused. ~ Me, when drunk.

GEEEBAAAAA! ~ Scary LARPers.

Drop the booze and take ten long steps back, elf-boy! ~ Drunken LARPing dwarf.

Offline Sylvanahs

• Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
Is there a way to make Xan sound like he used to in BGI ::) ? I think I like the old one  :o (I think he makes a real good reminder of what could happen if someone fails).

Offline Silver

• Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2006, 12:41:32 AM »
I dunno, I like both voices, maybe even the bg2 one better. I heard english BG (although I have a polish one) on occasion.. (long time ago.. ah great times of good RPG games)

I wonder how much longer till ToB.. *kicks dirt* I refuse to play through without Xan.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: