Author Topic: "EasyTutu" Is Available For Download  (Read 38801 times)

Offline Jab

• Planewalker
    • Sigil
Re: "EasyTutu" Is Available For Download
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2006, 08:01:42 AM »
What did you change, and which of the two issues you mentioned did it fix?  In my experience, installing TutuGUI last is a good thing.
I had uninstalled last three mods (lure of sirines..., one pixel..., TutuGUI) and then reinstalled them in different order (TutuGUI, one pixel, lure of sirines). But I don't know, why it works now. ???

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2006, 08:05:56 AM »
Hello -

I had uninstalled last three mods (lure of sirines..., one pixel..., TutuGUI) and then reinstalled them in different order (TutuGUI, one pixel, lure of sirines). But I don't know, why it works now. ???

I cannot even begin to imagine how any of those three mods could affect the game initialization script, or a NPC in the Prologue.  But, I think it is time for me to stop complaining at receiving a "it works" message. :)
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline Jab

• Planewalker
    • Sigil
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2006, 08:10:41 AM »
I cannot even begin to imagine how any of those three mods could affect the game initialization script, or a NPC in the Prologue.  But, I think it is time for me to stop complaining at receiving a "it works" message. :)
Perhaps Cyric somehow confused my game or something like that. You should watch out for him. ;D

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2006, 01:59:42 AM »
A small suggestion for you, MacReady!

What do you think about adding the BG Config link in Start->Programs->Baldur's Gate TuTu ?  :pirate

Keep it up and thanks for your efforts!

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2006, 02:12:41 AM »
Hello -

What do you think about adding the BG Config link in Start->Programs->Baldur's Gate TuTu ?  :pirate

I'd say that is a very good idea.  Hopefully it would serve to cut down on instances of people mistakenly running their BG2 copy of the configuration program instead.

I'll include such a shortcut in the next release.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2006, 06:39:41 AM »
Another suggestion, from the department of redundancy department.

Most of Tutu mods do instruct the user to install in the BG1 Tutu directory and give it as the default installation directory during setup, but plenty of people still miss it. I know the Tutu readme does reference safe mods. Maybe you could put in a line "These mods and any other Tutu mods should be installed in your Tutu directory." I know I missed that one first time through.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2006, 07:49:21 AM »
Hello -

Most of Tutu mods do instruct the user to install in the BG1 Tutu directory and give it as the default installation directory during setup, but plenty of people still miss it. I know the Tutu readme does reference safe mods. Maybe you could put in a line "These mods and any other Tutu mods should be installed in your Tutu directory." I know I missed that one first time through.

I cover this topic both on the main EasyTutu page, and now in the EasyTutu FAQ.  I don't feel as though saying it any more places will be helpful.

Offline _Drelnza_

• Planewalker
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2006, 06:19:40 AM »
I just wanted to say thanks to all those who have worked on Tutu, it really is brilliant.

I played the original Tutu sometime ago and recently come back to play again and installed EasyTutu. I love having a separate installation that looks & feels extremely professional. So cool.

Offline arawn

• Planewalker
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2006, 03:39:33 AM »
Laugh at me if you will. In the Easytutu readme, BG2 is required to be patched but the BG1 patch isn't mentioned, is this because the latter doesn't matter?

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2006, 07:53:30 AM »
Hello -

In the Easytutu readme, BG2 is required to be patched but the BG1 patch isn't mentioned, is this because the latter doesn't matter?

Correct.  The most important characteristic of your BG1 installation is that it be a completely full installation, with every possible optional component right there on the hard drive.  As for patching, it isn't important for EasyTutu simply because EasyTutu only uses the BG1 installation for BIFF mining.  However, no harm is done if you patch / have patched your BG1 installation.  No difference either way.

Offline arawn

• Planewalker
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2006, 08:11:20 AM »
Thanks Macready, I thought perhaps the readme just assumed that it was the original saga (that doesn't require a patch). :)

Offline arawn

• Planewalker
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2006, 10:20:16 AM »
I'm just curious, I don't recall the Beregost instablity in my last time through BGtutu. Why would this change with the easytutu conversion?

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2006, 10:41:11 AM »
Hello -

I'm just curious, I don't recall the Beregost instablity in my last time through BGtutu. Why would this change with the easytutu conversion?

Tutu has always had the Beregost problem, in whatever flavor.  It is a sporadic bug (sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't).  EasyTutu doesn't change the characteristics at all.

Baldurin

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2006, 12:29:06 PM »
Hi Macready!

I had tried your Easytutu and it´s a very interesting idea. Because tutu it´s very confused to install the most of people prefers Esaytutu but i think that is a problem only support English text. Well, I had played with Easytutu with a BG+TOSC+patch and BG2+BGTOB+patch both in spanish and looks work fine. So it´s the problem is in dialog.tlk. Does not work if i change with mi spanish BG2 dialog.tlk. If tutu can works with other languages easytutu should works also (probably translating dialog.tlk or changing part of source code of Easytutu instalation to use dialog.tlk of BG folder).

By the other hand, you said: "I don't explicitly support non-English versions, since I don't have them to test with". I can support BG and BG2 in spanish via torrent (very fast) or pando in ISO format if you really want support and test it. Other people can do the same with anorther languages to support this proyect and convert Easytutu usefull for non-speak english people (a lot of people in the world, sure!).

Greetings!

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2006, 01:13:02 PM »
Hello -

Other people can do the same with anorther languages to support this proyect and convert Easytutu usefull for non-speak english people (a lot of people in the world, sure!).

I'm sure you are correct about there being some potential interest in having EasyTutu support other languages.  However, I made the decision early on not to support foreign language versions, because focusing solely on English language end users has enabled me to deliver consistently stable Tutu installations.  I do want to be clear about this: the single most important ingredient to EasyTutu's success in delivering stable, consistent installations has been integration of the TLK with the core Tutu package.

On top of this, much of the work I do on EasyTutu involves significant manipulation of game text strings (e.g., the enhanced BG2-style journal), which brings me to another decision I made earlier on: I much prefer to deliver the best possible experience of which I am capable to my target audience, rather than take a lowest common denominator approach in terms of the features I implement due to my inability to replicate some work in other languages.

I appreciate your interest, but I have no plans to support foreign language installations via EasyTutu -- you will need to make use of the conventional Tutu conversion program.

Baldurin

« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2006, 02:54:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply! And good work!  ;D

Offline chegitz guevara

• Planewalker
Beregost
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2006, 10:10:30 PM »
I cannot get past Beregost. Every time I try and enter the city, my game crashes.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: Beregost
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2006, 05:24:16 AM »
Hello -

I cannot get past Beregost. Every time I try and enter the city, my game crashes.

This is covered both in the EasyTutu known issues, and in the EasyTutu FAQ (last question).

Offline chegitz guevara

• Planewalker
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2006, 08:42:55 AM »
Yeah, but I can't get in even after I save or restart the game or reboot the computer. I simply cannot enter the city at all. I just crashed trying to get into Nashkel.  :(
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 02:42:38 PM by chegitz guevara »

Offline wanderon

• Crafty Curmudgeon
  • Planewalker
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2006, 11:55:30 AM »
Just curious about this - its not really a big issue for me...

When I minimize my Easy Tutu game while playing in windows mode it almost always crashes after a few minutes. Playing BG2 however I have left the game paused and minimized overnight without any problem. Any idea why this happens??
Not all those that wander are lost...

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2006, 01:04:35 PM »
Hello -

Just curious about this - its not really a big issue for me...

When I minimize my Easy Tutu game while playing in windows mode it almost always crashes after a few minutes. Playing BG2 however I have left the game paused and minimized overnight without any problem. Any idea why this happens??

I'm not sure -- I don't use windowed mode.  FWIW, I've always been able to ALT-TAB out of fullscreen mode and then resume later without issue.

natalya

« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2006, 04:18:56 PM »
Two questions: does easytutu use tutu4 or tutu6 type spawns? And will easytutu installation automatically use bg1 music/casting sounds?

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2006, 07:33:48 PM »
Hello -

Two questions: does easytutu use tutu4 or tutu6 type spawns? And will easytutu installation automatically use bg1 music/casting sounds?

Regarding spawns: neither.  Tutu 4 spawns are just the normal BG1 ARE spawns, which don't work properly in the BG2 engine.  Tutu 6 spawns are a laughable study in inefficiency and unnecessary complexity -- IIRC the whole of the compiled Tutu 6 spawn scripts amounts to something like 70 or 80 *megabytes*.  Ick.

EasyTutu uses a lean, easily customizable spawn system that was, I believe, originally designed by CamDawg.  I ended up redesigning it some before actually implementing it across the game.  I believe that this final design, used in conjunction with the "Spawn Randomizer" add-on, yields what is by far the most robust and configurable spawn system available for playing BG1 in the BG2 engine.

EasyTutu will automatically use BG1 music.  It will *not* automatically use BG1 casting sounds, but I am fairly certain a mod exists to do just that.

natalya

« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2006, 11:50:32 PM »
good to hear, and one more: if a bug is found and corrected in new version of easytutu, will I be forced to start a new game to get the fix? If, let's say, I haven't reach the part of the game where it occurs yet?

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2006, 05:32:05 AM »
Hello -

good to hear, and one more: if a bug is found and corrected in new version of easytutu, will I be forced to start a new game to get the fix? If, let's say, I haven't reach the part of the game where it occurs yet?

Very few reported bugs these days would even be worth a restart.  In a sense, EasyTutu is even less buggy than BG1 itself, as many of the bugs I've been fixing can be traced back to there.

Where appropriate, I will release fixes as "hotfixes," but I really wouldn't sweat it if some little issue comes up.  It's just not worth mucking around with a game in progress.  Just make sure you've read the "Known Issues" section of the EasyTutu page so that you don't get tripped up by Beregost with no fallback save.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: