Author Topic: Stoned  (Read 61626 times)

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
Re: Stoned
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2006, 03:23:47 AM »
If two things are comparable, it does not neccessarily mean they have a precisely equal effect or impact.

EDIT: Besides, whether cancer is worse than losing your eyesight or being in so much pain you can't even walk is a purely subjective opinion that differs from individual to individual, not an objective fact.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 03:26:54 AM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2006, 03:25:56 AM »
You are comparing apples to oranges here.  The comparison is simply not valid.
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2006, 03:27:32 AM »
Harmful effects vs harmful effects.

Sorry, the comparison is apples to apples.  As you said, try again.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2006, 03:45:07 AM »
No one ever has, or will ever, die as a direct result of too much time in front of a computer.  You are playing semantics again.
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2006, 04:33:58 AM »
I never said anyone will die as a result of too much time in front of a computer; harmful effects are still harmful effects, no matter whether they're fatal or not.  I'm afraid it's you who's playing semantics, and in fact your entire "marijuana is not comparable to computer usage" argument would appear to be based on semantics.

EDIT: actually, a handful of people *have* died as a direct result of too much time in front of a computer:
http://app1.chinadaily.com.cn/star/2003/0501/vo2-4.html
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdcgw/is_200309/ai_n9519207 (bottom two)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6130643.html
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 04:46:38 AM by NiGHTMARE »

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2006, 05:17:04 AM »
Fatal effects > Harmful effects > Minor irritative effects > all.

Given the choice, most people would take crappy eyesight and a bad back over being dead.
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2006, 05:34:36 AM »
As the above links show, over-use of computers can be fatal too.

Plus as your "most people" comment illustrates, whether it is worse to be dead or be blind/unable to walk is still just an opinion, not a fact.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 05:36:30 AM by NiGHTMARE »

Offline Da_venom

• Planewalker
  • No one escapes death
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2006, 06:07:57 AM »
well everything is bad if you overextend the use of it...

that's why you must know yourself, your limits, capabiliites and such..
which most people don't know

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2006, 06:28:01 AM »
You know, Da_venom, your post is much much nicer than mine. That red warning is so helpful sometimes, giving us a chance to ponder -should I really hit post?
Anyone who abhors violence should not read the following cautionary tale.

I heard a story about fatal computer use. A young English man, in the prime of his life, who sometimes made the error of making well, nonsensical statements along the lines that reading, writing and computer use is just as bad for your health as regular drug use, and then when anyone pointed out that this was an extremely stupid thing to say got shirty and insinuated those people were unreasonable and stupid, and one night he woke up to find his room filled with all the people he had ever flamed and they beat him to death with his own computer monitor. An autopsy revealed he had been forced to swallow the letters i a m r e l y d u b before his awful agonising death. A jury of authors, librarians and computer game creators found the forum members charged with the poor young man's untimely death "Not Guilty" on the grounds that someone should have done it years ago. And they all lived happily ever after.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2006, 06:29:09 AM »
Actually, NIGHTMARE, what you are talking about is being sedentary.  It is possible to spend too much time on the computer without being sedentary.  Or pushing your body well beyond what it is intended to handle.  (Your links are talking about 50 hour gaming marathons, for Christ's sake!)  With marijuana, there is a marked increase in the likelihood of a great many diseases, even when you are using it "sensibly"..   You are comparing 5 joints a week (about 5 hours time per week) to a lifetime of being sedentary.  You are comparing the hazards of somewhat minimal use of marijuana to such a high level of computer addiction that the person didn't sleep.  If I went on a 50 hour weed smoking binge I could die from that, too, you know.   The ammount of marijuana related hospitalisations has tripled since the 90's, you know.

EDIT: thank you, Eral, for pointing out how inane the assertions he is making are.  You beat me to the post and said it better than I did.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 06:38:28 AM by Drew »

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2006, 06:54:34 AM »
I heard a story about fatal computer use. A young English man, in the prime of his life, who sometimes made the error of making well, nonsensical statements along the lines that reading, writing and computer use is just as bad for your health as regular drug use,

I never said that it was "just as bad".  Please don't start twisting peoples' meanings again, I thought you'd gotten over that particular phase.

and insinuated those people were unreasonable and stupid

I did no such thing.  I know this may well amaze you, but human beingse are quite capable of having a discussion without having negative opinions of a person with a differing point of view.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2006, 06:56:37 AM »
We know where you live NiGHTMARE. I can think of a lot more letters to make you swallow. Don't tempt me.

Drew: if the rumour that reading and writing can be fatal gets about, I'm going to have a hell of a time when school starts.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2006, 06:58:03 AM »
You are comparing 5 joints a week (about 5 hours time per week) to a lifetime of being sedentary.  You are comparing the hazards of somewhat minimal use of marijuana to such a high level of computer addiction that the person didn't sleep.  If I went on a 50 hour weed smoking binge I could die from that, too, you know.   The ammount of marijuana related hospitalisations has tripled since the 90's, you know.

These links were in direct reply to your "no one ever has, or will ever, die as a direct result of too much time in front of a computer." Marijuana and how much more harmful it is than computer usage is utterly irrelevant to to the fact that your comment was incorrect.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2006, 07:06:42 AM »
Actually, NIGHTMARE, the people you mentioned in the first link died of exhaustion.  It wouldn't have mattered if they were on a computer, watching TV, smoking joints, playing pnp, or masturbating for 50 hours.  They pushed their bodies beyond their physical capabilities (and had likely been doing it for a long time before that as well) and died.  The fact that their marathon was in front of a computer is just details.

No one in your second link died of too much time in front of a computer.  They were all killed violently.  Computer games were simply the cause of their arguments.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2006, 07:17:49 AM »
By that logic, the fact someone's cancer was caused by smoking marijuana is also "just details".

As for the second link, look at what I wrote in brackets next to the link, then read it again.

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2006, 07:22:02 AM »
   Drew, does it really matter if a junkie dies of OD, or a drug dealer comes and kills him? The result is the same. Though the latter is much, much likelier, I guess

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2006, 07:29:56 AM »
Drew, I'm afraid if you make any more responses encouraging NiGHTMARE to continue with this ridiculous argument -which would be funny if he wasn't SERIOUS- we will have to beat you to death with your computer too. Your children are young, and need their father. Do it for them.

If you have any regard for us at all, EDIT: Drew, you will in the future continue these discussions via PM. If you REALLY feel the need to discuss it. Though WHY you do I do NOT understand.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 05:22:19 PM by Eral »

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2006, 07:47:13 AM »
For the record, it was Joe and Drew who began this "ridiculous argument" , after deciding to pick apart a simple comment I made.

Who exactly are you to decide what is and is not a ridiculous argument anyway? You might want to take an ego check sometime.  Here's a hint: if you don't care about a subject being discussed in a thread, DON'T READ THAT THREAD ANY MORE.  For crying out loud, isn't that pretty obvious?  ::)

I would kindly ask *you* to take your exceptionally arrogant "what you have to say is irrelevant to me, therefore it must be irrelevant to everybody" comments to PM in future.  (Though expect any addressed to me to promptly get deleted.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 08:05:40 AM by NiGHTMARE »

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2006, 07:59:06 AM »
You guys know how to ruin a perfectly good thread.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2006, 08:04:54 AM »
Say yes to drugs. Free your mind, free your body. :D

There are many other ways of freeing your mind and body :)
Hot passionate sex. ;)
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2006, 08:23:06 AM »
You guys know how to ruin a perfectly good thread
  We can try to restore it, Blood Raven. For starters, can you tell me why Sister M, not the Horse?

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2006, 08:24:44 AM »
This is my last post about this subject, I promise.  NIGHTMARE, you are taking an extreme example and comparing it to something that can happen due to non-extreme use of marijuana.  You are comparing repeatedly going 50+ hours sitting at a computer without sleep (it doesn't usually kill you if you do it once in a while, unless there is something else wrong with you) to the inevitable result of sustained regular use of marijuana.  The difference between my examples and yours is that if you smoke a joint 5 times a week you have the same risks as a one pack a day smoker.  A person using a computer with similar moderation might get tendonitis.  They just aren't comparable.  I think you already know this, so this is the last I will say on the subject.

Offline Joe

• Planewalker
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2006, 03:16:36 PM »
And for the record, neither Drew, nor Eral, nor I started this "argument". Nightmare did by trying to defend the absurd comparison of using drugs with reading, writing, and video games.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2006, 03:38:22 PM »
I skipped most of the argument, but I think you can compare the hazards of marijuana with the hazards of computer game addiction.  It's just that most of the comparisons will have quite a huge spread.  Let's take a look at some made-up statistics, based on samplings from 1000 fake marijuana smokers, and 1000 fake video game players.

450 people couldn't quit smoking pot without a lot of help.
40 people couldn't quit video games.

972 smokers got lip cancer after 12 years, at three joints a day.
4 video game players for lip cancer. For some reason.
2 video game players got eyeball cancer.
1 video game player got asshole cancer, from sitting around so much.

So yeah, this seems to be conclusive fake proof that marijuana is more dangerous to your health than video games.  Is it silly to make such comparisons?  Sure it is.  Is it silly to argue about something so extremely ridiculous?  I'll have to check the statistics, but I think roughly 42% of forum goers are annoyed on tuesdays when it's sunny and people argue.  Compare that to only 13% of elephant keepers who're annoyed on tuesdays in the sun when people sit in companionable silence.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2006, 05:18:55 PM »
And for the record, neither Drew, nor Eral, nor I started this "argument". Nightmare did by trying to defend the absurd comparison of using drugs with reading, writing, and video games.

Funny you should say that comparing drugs with reading, writing and video games is absurd, since it was *you* who raised the issue, not me.  I'd say that a person who introduces a subject which he knows before hand is absurd, must be pretty absurd himself.  Especially as before this "debate" started, you seemed utterly oblivious to the fact that computers could have any harmful effects whatsoever.

EDIT: I also personally don't believe someone responsible for threads such as the recent "Homelessness", and of course the classic "Internet sexuality and 14 year-old girls", ought be taken too seriously when accusing other people of being absurd...

EDIT 2: BTW I would like to again point out that dying of cancer caused by smoking marijuana being worse than being blinded and/or crippled by computer usage is not an objective fact, it is a subjective opinion.  Many people would rather die than be disabled in such a way.  Since comparisons are supposed to involve facts, not opinions, I'm afraid that would make a comparison between the two perfectly valid.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 05:44:42 PM by NiGHTMARE »