Poll

What's your favorite modding craptalk forum of the past or present?

EFCB
14 (41.2%)
Noobermeet (G3)
8 (23.5%)
Rec Room (Studios)
1 (2.9%)
Fridge (Studios, defunct)
3 (8.8%)
Church of Despair/General Revelry (FWP, defunct)
3 (8.8%)
Ye Dwarven Hammer (ye CoM)
1 (2.9%)
TDD v1.0.3 Technical Bugs (TeamBG, defunct)
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Favorite Craptalk Forum  (Read 9765 times)

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
Re: Favorite Craptalk Forum
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 07:52:42 PM »
I voted for the Fridge. I am not interpreting "favorite" the one I find most pleasant and entertaining (there's a little bit of the drive-by accident to all of them, some have regular freeway pile-ups), but a choice of the craptalk forum I think most exemplifies the pure talking of crap. The street value of Ye Olde Pillow Fights is beyond measure!  :D
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 08:12:18 PM »
Drama makes the world go around!  :)
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006, 02:48:59 AM »
I chose the Church of Despair, simply because I'm probably one of the few who actually remembers it.  The days when I thought people weren't mostly idiots, and that I could trust random strangers.  Then it went downhill fast, but was still fun!
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
  • War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2006, 06:44:58 AM »
TDD technical bugs sounds promising, but I have missed out on that that entirely. :(

If TeamBG forums were anything like the inimitable Lady Nightshade's... well, it was kinda like a trainwreck. I know I couldn't look away, until the fateful day I woke up banzored.

Lady Nightshade was a bit like the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland: "Off with their heads!" Or in this case: delete user profile.
What problems did you have with Nightshade? I knew her pretty well when she used to be online.

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2006, 06:49:56 AM »
TeamBG Noobers Romper Room. Lots of discussions took place back in the old days. Ken getting picked on by hackers, modders like MPrilla or modders who knew things better than Ken did. Glorious days of seeing the animal known as Ken come out and play.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2006, 10:53:38 AM »
What problems did you have with Nightshade? I knew her pretty well when she used to be online.

We were friendly until she started to ban everyone. Even then, I was keeping a low profile and just kinda watching the drama, but I think then she found out I was friends with somebody she'd already banned, and that's when I got hit with it too. It's not like I was ever provided with an explanation or anything. Neil PMed that he was happy to see me resurface at FW much later, and I asked him about it, but he said that basically I'd just been one more disappearance from Mithral Hall. He didn't know I was banninated.

I vaguely remember seeing your username around.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 05:36:38 PM »
In defense of EFCB, I think its aptly named and on the whole, its pretty amusing in a wholesome type of way, but it does have its highs and lows. The lowest point was driving away St. Jo :'(  but I blame administration for burdening St Jo unduly.

There's a reason she's a saint, you know. She held on to the reins of blather for a miraculous duration, really.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

Offline Muerte

• Memento Mori
  • Planewalker
  • Ars moriendi
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2006, 07:29:34 PM »
The Recreation room is too new to judge.
Don't try to be funny or they'll invite you to discuss it in PM.

Oh, come on!  The implied policies of "no swearing," "no gambling," and "no blood lust" make it seem like... like... church!  And everyone loves to hang out at church, right?

Kegger at First Pres, tonight at 6:00 - 9:00 PM!  Ovaltine on tap!
Sounds like a horrible place!  :o
"Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat"

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2006, 08:06:48 PM »

Oh, come on!  The implied policies of "no swearing," "no gambling," and "no blood lust" make it seem like... like... church!  And everyone loves to hang out at church, right?

Kegger at First Pres, tonight at 6:00 - 9:00 PM!  Ovaltine on tap!
Sounds like a horrible place!  :o

I could swear someone there likes to use Latin in their sig. You may just fit in perfectly!

Offline Muerte

• Memento Mori
  • Planewalker
  • Ars moriendi
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2006, 08:09:48 PM »
That would be a cold day in hell for it to happen.  ;)
"Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat"

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2006, 11:19:44 PM »
I am most distressed, jc, most distressed. Yes, we have had a few little blips here, but really. People who live in glass houses. (Yes, Ghrey, I am looking at you too, despite the fact you are in all probability not actually reading more than the first three words of this post and have no idea that I am talking to you.) The recent events have not been pretty, but we all make errors.

Can we stop with the bagging of EFCB now? All of us reasonable ones have said sorry and made threads about vegetables and research and you name it. (OK, the vege thread was Bons. But we all responded.)We are clearly repentant and will return to whimsy and frivolous seriosity with all our usual grace. Our recent failure to Ignore The Troll was a useful lesson, which I am sure will not need to be refreshed for at least three months.

If you really don't want us to hang around chatting, creating threads like Time in the Shower and To Vegan Or Not To Vegan, you can always shut us down.  :'( This means we will miss out on such gems as Moongaze's Why Me? thread, and you have to admit the world would be a sadder place. 
Now please, forgive us our sins and be indulgent. We'll be good. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 12:33:15 AM by Eral »
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2006, 06:34:51 PM »
Can we stop with the bagging of EFCB now?

In truth, the concept for this poll began as a simple "Fridge vs. Rec Room" discussion (we've been through this in the past--PPG actually is the designated location to discuss Studios operational minutae) but I decided that the concept had enough flexibility to be stretched, and that I was amused by my own joke about the TDD forum.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »
Well that's a relief. Excuse my over-reaction. I feared a future where I could only engage in idle banter if I could tolerate 17 smilies per post and bad, bad puns. And I can't.

If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2006, 07:27:49 AM »
Can we stop with the bagging of EFCB now?

In truth, the concept for this poll began as a simple "Fridge vs. Rec Room" discussion (we've been through this in the past--PPG actually is the designated location to discuss Studios operational minutae) but I decided that the concept had enough flexibility to be stretched, and that I was amused by my own joke about the TDD forum.
The TDD humor would be lost on the newer people. Us old timers remember it quite well. You had to be there to enjoy Ken and others in their glory.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2006, 11:54:45 AM »
The TDD humor would be lost on the newer people. Us old timers remember it quite well. You had to be there to enjoy Ken and others in their glory.

I know. But I sometimes like a little retro scene humor.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2006, 07:36:59 AM »

I know. But I sometimes like a little retro scene humor.
Where you around at the time when Darkside of the Sword Coast came out? I remember that fondly, you didn't want to be a noob asking noob questions at the DS forums. Ken would make you cry after he got done posting.  ::)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2006, 08:59:59 AM »
Where you around at the time when Darkside of the Sword Coast came out? I remember that fondly, you didn't want to be a noob asking noob questions at the DS forums. Ken would make you cry after he got done posting.  ::)

I was aware of TeamBG shortly after I got BG2 at its launch, which I believe was right around the time DSOTSC was released. But I never bothered reading the site for any length of time, let alone posting on the forums, because of how nutty it seemed, given the predilection for front-page rants and "alignment checks" and so forth.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2006, 09:22:16 AM »
One of the first posts I ever made at an IE-related site was to ask whether DSotSC would use new/modified areas or just recycle old ones.  Of course, all I got in way of a reply was a flame.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 09:23:47 AM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2006, 10:35:50 AM »
Heheh, I remember the first time I talked to Ken.  I was asking him questions about scripting in the HyperChat thing they had set up, and he was being pretty impatient.  After I left, so some random kid told me, him and one of his cronies went on about me for a good while.  I shrugged it off, figuring that's what the internet was like (since the only other thing I'd done online was play StarCraft, which went by much the same rules, only with even worse grammar than Ken).
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Imrahil

• Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2006, 10:19:16 PM »
This is a tough question, in that "favorite" & "craptalk" in the same sentence make it hard to decide.  I'm going to make the assumption (yes, yes, I know) that winning is a bad thing, for the sole reason that I believe "craptalk" trumps "favorite".  Favorite, to me, implies you like it, but "craptalk" implies suckiness.  So, with that in mind, the forum that "wins" is actually the loser, with positive points being a bad thing in my made up scoring system...

Hearsay/history score...

EFCB: 0 - I was around for all of it, sadly enough

Noobermeet (G3): 1 - I'm not sure when G3 came into existence.  It's a bit of a Red-Headed-Stepchild as far as I can tell... it's there & all, & occasionally does... stuff... but no one likes to acknowledge its existence, even though it does good things... still, 1 point

Rec Room (Studios): 0 - just started

Fridge (Studios, defunct): 4 - saw a lot of it, but it was there when I arrived & was disbanded for sucking; never really posted in it or paid attention to it

Church of Despair/General Revelry (FWP, defunct): 0 - never heard of it, don't care, no points

Ye Dwarven Hammer (ye CoM): 0 - I was around for the start of it

TDD v1.0.3 Technical Bugs (TeamBG, defunct): -50 - hearsay from reliable sources indicates it was the epitome of suckitude, but I refuse to acknowledge it as a competitor - pretending it never happened seems preferable

"My experience" score...

TDD v1.0.3 Technical Bugs (TeamBG, defunct): 0 - no experience, but has already been disqualified based on my scoring system

Ye Dwarven Hammer (ye CoM): 10 - boring topics posted by people you would swear were teenagers but are surprised to find out they are 20-something-+ ; anything of any possible interest is locked immediately

Church of Despair/General Revelry (FWP, defunct): 0 - don't care, no points

Fridge (Studios, defunct): 2 - never really cared, was just interested in MOD's, occasionally skimmed a topic or two, bleh

Rec Room (Studios): -27 - so far: lame, lame, lame

Noobermeet (G3): 3 - an occasional interesting topic, but largely boring... Happy Birthday [insert random user here]!!!

EFCB: 15 - I really, no truly, don't find non-BG-related topics on a BG-MOD board interesting, but here there are enough self-righteous posts full of silly... ahem... blather... that I occasionally feel the absolute *need* to post something - can't really explain it - stupid, I know - I should, like, work on that, or something

And so, the "winner", by my arbitrary scoring system is... EFCB (15), trailed closely by Ye TeenyBopper Hammer (10), with Fridge (6) & Noobermeet (4) in the distance.  EFCB: king of craptalk

- Imrahil
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 10:24:03 PM by Imrahil »

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2006, 01:11:06 AM »
Heheh, that was pretty cool.  Nastily biased against everyone, which is the best one can hope for in this topsy turvy craptalk world of ours--plus nasty bias is entertaining!  Now do one on well known personalities in the modding community.  I'm curious about how much I suck compared to the suckiness levels of the rest of the folks hanging around.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2006, 06:14:45 AM »
Noobermeet (G3): 1 - I'm not sure when G3 came into existence.  It's a bit of a Red-Headed-Stepchild as far as I can tell... it's there & all, & occasionally does... stuff... but no one likes to acknowledge its existence, even though it does good things... still, 1 point

Heheh.

Yeah, I think G3 (and CoM too) perhaps aren't mentioned so much at PPG/SHS since the latter are the two biggest sites, and members can seem to be preoccupied with the past history of said sitees (meaning they get talked about proportionately more).
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2006, 06:32:39 AM »
Now do one on well known personalities in the modding community.  I'm curious about how much I suck compared to the suckiness levels of the rest of the folks hanging around.
Surely that would only be gratifying if you were the most suckiest? And then, might jc's feelings be hurt? (Umm, that's just an example. For the sake of discussion.) What if we had to have a poll afterwards to decide who was suckier, you or, say, Sim? Or Corvis? What if the Dwarven Moderator won? Everyone would be pissed off.
New poll? Or dangerous discussion of popularity that can only bring discord to our lives?

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2006, 07:15:54 AM »
  Why do I have a feeling that if he wasn't the suckiest, JC would replace Mr. Ghreyfain with someone else?

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2006, 08:24:28 AM »
Surely that would only be gratifying if you were the most suckiest? And then, might jc's feelings be hurt? (Umm, that's just an example. For the sake of discussion.) What if we had to have a poll afterwards to decide who was suckier, you or, say, Sim? Or Corvis? What if the Dwarven Moderator won? Everyone would be pissed off.
New poll? Or dangerous discussion of popularity that can only bring discord to our lives?

I think this is an excellent idea! Imrahil could right a concluding review. BTW, who is the Dwarven moderator? I've always had a fondness for polls but I would be willing to forgo the poll and go straight to dangerous discussion.