Author Topic: Do you remember the first book you have ever read?  (Read 4261 times)

Offline KIrving

• Planewalker
Re: Do you remember the first book you have ever read?
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 08:07:14 PM »
The answer to this for me is no.  I cannot even remember learning to read.  It seems like something I've always known how and needed to do, like breathing. :)  My earliest memories are of being read to, various golden books, lots of stories involving animals such as The Incredible Journey, Plague Dogs (go nightmares on that one). 
I do remember being captivated by the Silver Brumby series (probably only Australians or New Zealanders will know them) and absolutely loving The Horse and his boy (A Narnia chronicle).  I had a horse obsession...well I still do really. :)
I also had the advantage of being completely unrestricted in what I could get my hands on to read, so I went through my parent's book collections while still in primary school.  Lots of pulpy action fiction like Clive Cussler (sex, guns, scuba diving.) and heaps of Science fiction - Heinlein, Aldiss, Larry Niven etc. 
Look at the stars.
Listen to the rain.
Walk backwards.
Talk to a rock.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 09:11:44 PM »
I can't remember that far back. Probably some Dr. Suess book, I would guess. I had a lot of those.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2005, 06:12:30 AM »
I can't remember that far back. Probably some Dr. Suess book, I would guess. I had a lot of those.

Heh, quite possibly likewise.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

jester_

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2005, 06:40:31 AM »
The Dark Lord of Pengersick by Richard Carlyon

I still get the feeling that Georg Lucas ripped off his story partly from that book.

Thinking about it, I should read it again sometime.

Offline Sarah

• Dizzy Blond
  • Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2006, 02:09:37 AM »
Just curious, both about memory in this respect and what was the people's first touch with literature. Yes, I mean a "literature book" not a school book. ;)

So, for me it was "the Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis (I had an edition with all of them in one book)

I don't remember specifically, i'm certain there were many children's books I read at a young age - I can only assume you are discounting Look At Spot type books for yourself - but the first lengthy story I can recall reading are Famous Five books. I read short Enid Blyton stories before that, but Famous Five were probably my first full books.

EDIT: Now that i've had a think I ALSO recall reading Green Eggs and Ham several times over with my Gran at a very young age. That, of ourse, is still post real earning to read books from the Jack and Jane/Spot areas.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 02:17:26 AM by Sarah »

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2006, 09:00:42 PM »
"Literature" is a little bit subjective, but I remember when I was 9, I came up with a goal of reading every Newberry Award book before I was 10. The only ones that really stuck with me (and that I purchased as an adult) were "The Twenty-One Balloons" by William Pène du Bois and "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" by E.L. Konigsburg.

Some of my favorite books that I read over and over when I was a kid were: "Bunnicula," "Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang," "How to Eat Fried Worms," "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" (I read the Beezus and Ramona stuff, too, but mice and motorcycles were more my style), the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series, anything by Roald Dahl, Richard Peck's books featuring Blossom Culp, and I had a huge crush on Alvin Fernald, a.k.a. Superweasel.

Oh, and I read the Bible a lot as a kid. To me, it was the equivalent of reading Aesop's Fables.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »

Oh, and I read the Bible a lot as a kid. To me, it was the equivalent of reading Aesop's Fables.
LOL To me it seemed like I was reading another work of mythology.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 11:40:22 PM »
I read the bible too. The stories about Ruth and Esther and Judith were my favourites - action, swords, frocks and wheat. Terrific. Also, my mum and dad would come along and say "Why are you still up? What are you reading?" and when I showed them it was the family bible it was always good for another half-hour.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.