Author Topic: *completely* clueless (for the first time in a long time)  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Wounded_Lion

• Planewalker
  • Dungeon Dweller
*completely* clueless (for the first time in a long time)
« on: December 13, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »
I am trying to design a Charm-type spell that only charms members of a certain race.

In SoA, the Rings of Air and Earth Control allow you to charm an Air or Earth Elemental.  The item abilities are built in a similar manner to the 'Charm Person' spell, but the "type" field is set to "GENERAL_ITM".  What does this mean?  Air and Earth Elementals are *not* creatures of the type "GENERAL_ITM" (not according to their creature files, anyway).  Furthermore, both Rings have the exact same spell ability... so, how does the Charm-effect determine whether or not its being used on an appropriate target?

I tried to duplicate this effect using EFF files.  I used the 'Charm Person' spell as a template but removed all of the effects (charm, display portrait icon, etc) of the spell ability.  I then inserted a "Use EFF File" effect (with the appropriate race as its IDS target) in their place.  The effect points to an EFF file that Charms (with the charm type set to "MONSTER" because the race in question is classed as such).

Why doesn't this work?  What *would* work?  The "Use EFF File" effect should determine if the spell target is a member of the race in question, and if so apply the EFF file (which should charm the target).  Maybe I misunderstand the manner by which "Use EFF File" effect works...  Please help!

a Wounded Lion

*edited for grammar*

Offline Shed

• Planewalker
  • ZOMG!
    • OMGWeRTehFuny
Re: *completely* clueless (for the first time in a long time)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 03:03:59 PM »
If you removed all the effects of the spell, how will you tell if it's working or not?

You can use a value from Race.ids when you Use Effect, btw.
Quote from: jcompton
Whatever, man. We'll just see what happens when Seifer and Shed have another attack of "omg we are teh funy".

Offline Wounded_Lion

• Planewalker
  • Dungeon Dweller
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 03:09:15 PM »
If you removed all the effects of the spell, how will you tell if it's working or not?

The spell itself contains no effects.  The effect is in the EFF file.  I can tell it's not working because the target isn't charmed.

You can use a value from Race.ids when you Use Effect, btw.

I know.  I did.  It doesn't work.

a W.L.

Offline Shed

• Planewalker
  • ZOMG!
    • OMGWeRTehFuny
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 03:32:07 PM »
If you like, you can send the .spl and .eff to shed@spellholdstudios.net and I'll have a look.
Quote from: jcompton
Whatever, man. We'll just see what happens when Seifer and Shed have another attack of "omg we are teh funy".

Offline Wounded_Lion

• Planewalker
  • Dungeon Dweller
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:39:29 PM »
Thank you for the offer.  I don't have the spell and effect files with me at the moment, but if I don't recieve any helpful advice today then perhaps I'll send them your way tonight.

a W.L.

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 11:40:51 AM »
This should work, if done correctly. You can use ids targeting to have special charm effects.

Offline Wounded_Lion

• Planewalker
  • Dungeon Dweller
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 12:10:40 PM »
This should work, if done correctly. You can use ids targeting to have special charm effects.

Word has it that you are *the* man when it comes to this kind of thing...  but I have my doubts about this working.  Can you point me to an example where it has been successfully implemented?  I tried tweaking the spell round about 10 times, and nothing that I did made it work (some things even crashed the game).  Of course, I have been known for missing the obvious once in a while...  ;)

a Wounded Lion

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 03:11:01 PM »
The various Rings of * Control had issues with their charm abilities--we had to make some fixes for the Fixpack (specifically, see ring27.itm, ring28.itm, and ring29.itm).
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 07:59:32 PM »
I did something like that for an SPL but only specific to a certain Race, but not with CHARM effects. SPL to EFF to SPL, if I recall right. It works.
(http://www.geocities.com/arkevaul/btlbn2.gif)
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, & more

Offline Wounded_Lion

• Planewalker
  • Dungeon Dweller
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »
The various Rings of * Control had issues with their charm abilities--we had to make some fixes for the Fixpack (specifically, see ring27.itm, ring28.itm, and ring29.itm).

My thanks for your attempt to help, Cam, but you forget that I do not have access to the workrooms (development threads) at G3.

Can you explain what changes your team made to the Rings?

a W.L.

*edited for grammar*

Offline Wounded_Lion

• Planewalker
  • Dungeon Dweller
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 08:05:01 PM »
I did something like that for an SPL but only specific to a certain Race, but not with CHARM effects. SPL to EFF to SPL, if I recall right. It works.

As have I, Zyraen.  But the Charm effect appears to be a unique case (unless I've made an obvious error).

btw, Beyond the Law looks veeery interesting.

a W.L.

*edited for grammar*

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 10:12:21 PM »
My thanks for your attempt to help, Cam, but you forget that I do not have access to the workrooms (development threads) at G3.

I'm going to assume it's on the dev wiki.  For that you just need an account with the G3 forums in general.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Wounded_Lion

• Planewalker
  • Dungeon Dweller
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 11:35:34 AM »
I'm going to assume it's on the dev wiki.  For that you just need an account with the G3 forums in general.

<slightly annoyed> This issue has been brought up in other posts as well (by other people).  I cannot access the dev wiki with my G3 forums username and password.  What about that is so difficult to understand?  lol.  I'm sorry.  I don't mean to be an ass.  I love all you guys, really.

Ok.  I just stumbled across a post by Cam on G3 that seems to indicate that the underscore in my username might be the source of the problem.  I will see if creating a new username specifically for the dev wiki resolves the issue.

a W.L.

Here is the error that I recieve:

There is no user by the name "Wounded Lion". Check your spelling, or use the form below to create a new user account.

*edited for grammar and update*

Offline Wounded_Lion

• Planewalker
  • Dungeon Dweller
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 02:24:10 PM »
 :o

Wow!

I have long thought that the game programmers did a veeery poor job coding the internal game files.  I've glanced over the changes that the Fixpack makes, and I must say that I am impressed.  This project will go a looong way towards rectifying many issues faced by modders and players alike.  Is a beta version available for testing?

a W.L.

EDIT - Never mind.  I just answered my own question with a quick look at the G3 annoucements forum.  ;)

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 01:59:10 PM »
For those wondering, W.L. took up our open call for Fixpack testers. :) And yeah, that is a link to the dev wiki which is open to anyone with a forum account.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Wounded_Lion

• Planewalker
  • Dungeon Dweller
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 03:56:38 PM »
Problem solved.  8)  I had set the version field of the EFF file to "V1.0"... but apparently the game engine requires that this field be set to "V2.0".  The spells are working now!

a W.L.

btw:  BG2Fixpack = awesome!  Check out the wiki but beware if your username contains 'special characters'.  Learn from my headache!  lol.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: