Author Topic: So, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, eh?  (Read 6274 times)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: So, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, eh?
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2005, 05:40:56 PM »
What is the animation for Aslan like? Does it augur well for the cat in Prince Caspian/the flying horse in Magician's Nephew?  (jc won't agree- the flying horse will certainly be an excuse for more sweeping wide frame shots.)

I'll see your "sweeping wide frame shots" and raise you "as much as I liked the other six books and read them all at least three times in my youth, I could never, ever, ever force myself to finish Magician's Nephew as I found it extremely boring." (I think the series pretty much hit its stride in books 3-4-5. Of original published order, not the chronological ordering that some of the recent boxed sets have done that flips things around and makes MN book #1.)

What happened in Magician's Nephew, Cr0pTony? Was that the one with the rings and pools in forests?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
  • War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2005, 06:32:03 PM »
The Aslan animation wasn't bad. I can't say that it looked completely real.

I was somewhat disappointed with Liam Neeson as his voice.

Would have been better with Kevin Michael Richardson as Aslan.... That booming Sarevok woice...
He would have been perfect. Except he might remind me of Sarevok or Jolee.

He could remind them to gather their party before venturing forth.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2005, 07:36:31 PM »
What happened in Magician's Nephew, Cr0pTony? Was that the one with the rings and pools in forests?

Yes, the rings and such. I couldn't get past feeling "I'm very sure I read this story by C.S. Lewis at least once, but it was more interesting that other time" each time I tried reading it. Just, bleah.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2005, 08:05:44 PM »
I assume that's your Keeshond? My dog is ostensibly a Keeshond mix, though she's black and tan (but very fluffy). We don't really know what she is, as she's had at least 3 other homes and we adopted her at the age of 8 or so (at least, the vet guesses her age at 10 now). She's a sweetie, anyway.

Yes, the avatar is my Keeshond. We were first introduced to the breed with a Keeshond mix and he was black and tan too. He had been abandoned on the road. He was very sweet but he evidenced signs of abuse and could be nervous with men. We got Ketra (the avatar) in memory of him. I think by breed they are very sweet.

You know, I almost feel guilty that this reply is so off-topic but then I recall all EFCB threads seem to go off topic. Sometimes they are so off-topic that I can't even remember which thread a topic is in or even what the thread is about by the title. I probably should pm people more frequently. :-\

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2005, 08:30:05 PM »
Ah, at least nobody is likely to take offense to a side-conversation about dogs. I think.

Lila probably had a rough life before she came to us. I know she was returned to the rescue society a few times, though the reasons for such were never volunteered (probably because they didn't want to put us off her too!). She had really bad teeth, which was expensive. She's very affectionate, and some people might not have liked how she stubbornly insists that she is, in fact, a lap dog. Hard to say.

Wolf, my first dog, was a foundling, collected outside the supermarket when I was sent out to get milk. The classic "Can we keep him, Mom?" He was a shepherd/retriever and just so intelligent and calm and well-behaved, I can't imagine why anyone would abandon him, but the state of his feet indicated that he'd walked in from being dumped in the country. Their loss, because he was a great dog.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline fcm

• Muahaha?
  • Planewalker
  • Fresh
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2005, 11:02:16 PM »
Liam Neeson? The same one that was in Batman Begins?

Yes. And The Phantom Menace.

Hm. Should have used Sean Connery.

No, no, no. Let's not be reminded of Dragonheart.

Hahahahaaha. I don't want the real Sean Connery to voice Aslan -- just the impersonator from SNL.

Actually, I really liked Aslan in the animated version. I thought he was perfect. Aslan in South Park was pretty funny, too -- even though he had basically the same voice as the Sexual Harassment Panda.
Imbriglicated!

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2005, 12:21:58 AM »
The only thing I remember from the Magician's Nephew was the Arabic girl, and the story she told with the line I still use to confuse my dad, "Oh my father, and oh the delight of my eyes". She seemed to be the only girl in the series who ever had a sword. And the winged horse of course. Also, I confess that the Englishness of the four children annoyed me when I read the books ( I was 13?) and I liked the Magician's Nephew because the Englishness was slightly less obvious. I also liked the explanation of how the wardrobe came to be. And that nobody died or went over the edge of the world or was in a train wreck.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2005, 12:23:16 AM »
I think the Magician's Nephew was the one I got stuck on that made me not bother reading any of the others.  Now that I'm told it's the suckiest, I should read the rest.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2005, 05:14:21 AM »
Hmm, Ghrey. Maybe you just didn't have the attention span necessary to successfully read chapter books, with limited illustrations last year. You might need to give it a few more decades, just to make sure you have the mental maturity to properly assess them. Then get back to us.

*don't slag off my favourite book in a series and expect to get off unscathed*

If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2005, 05:33:46 AM »
I didn't realise it was your favourite book, since I just read the first half of the first sentence--"The only thing I remember from the Magician's Nephew..." and assumed you were saying the same things other people had said.

I'm fairly certain this revelation proves something.  Like maybe your last post was correct.  Or so I assume.  I'm not going to think about it too much.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2005, 05:02:28 PM »

Yes, the rings and such. I couldn't get past feeling "I'm very sure I read this story by C.S. Lewis at least once, but it was more interesting that other time" each time I tried reading it. Just, bleah.

I think I liked that one, but I don't remember exactly, so should probably read it again.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.