Author Topic: Problem with kit customization for NPCS! Help!  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Merkmerk

• Planewalker
Problem with kit customization for NPCS! Help!
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:35:52 PM »
Hey, first I'd like to start off with the usual "OMFG THANKYOU SO MUCH I COULDN'T STAND PLAYING BG1 AT THE GOD AWFUL RESOLUTION YAYAYYAYA"

That out of the way, I'd like to again say BGtutu kicks fking ass.

Now onto my problem...I really like your NPC kit customization idea, but for some reason it hasn't worked for me at all and I'm not sure why. I've done everything from a fresh install and a new game, and for whatever reason none of the kit customizations have applied. Most of them I just chose to keep their true class, however some such as GARRICK I wanted to change to a jester simply because bards suck so horribly bad.

However, this isn't applied and I'm afraid none of the other changes will be applied too.(Such as kivan from ranger to archer)

What gives?

PS. Another question, khalid for whatever reason was dual wielding bastard swords and specced that way, instead of the usual tank style he is AFAIK, and I found that the lawful evil dwarf kagain was this way as well - is this a bug or intended?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 09:45:17 PM by Merkmerk »

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: Problem with kit customization for NPCS! Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 12:10:10 AM »
As for the kit problem, I'm not sure what happened.  Is this the first time you've played Tutu, or did you perhaps have a saved game from a previous Tutu installation--one in which the kits weren't selected?

As for the dual-wielding, I agree that it sucks.  I'm not sure why we did it that way to begin with.  Actually, I do know why, but upon reflection, it was a bad idea.  Could be a good thing to have in a tweakpack.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Merkmerk

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 02:24:02 AM »
It's a brand new game and I had just installed bgtutu on fresh installs of everything.

As far as the dual wield thing, I don't really mind I thought it was a neat style thing given to khalid, although I found it odd that kagain was dual wielding too.

My poor garrick is doomed to being a suck bard when he could be a cool jester!

PS. If it works for you guys and it's just some me-specific-problem, I could always uninstall everything and reinstall and try a brand new game and double check to make sure the kits are working by flagging imoen as a swashbuckler or something
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 02:26:06 AM by Merkmerk »

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 04:43:03 AM »
If you want to, that'd be good.  Don't trouble yourself though, since even if you can duplicate it, the chances of it getting changed are slim to none.  You could always use ShadowKeeper to edit your NPCs to have kits, though.  And weapon proficiencies that you want.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Marauder

• BGI fanboy and
  • Planewalker
  • Viking
    • Order of the Stick
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 12:10:54 PM »
Why DID you guys give some of the NPC's dualwielding? I think that ruins the BG1-feel :'(
(http://i16.tinypic.com/2a6lgg9.gif)

Offline Merkmerk

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 01:02:52 PM »
Uninstalled and reinstalled everything, started a new game, no kits applied to new characters. Very very strange. I'v etried using lower case and caps in the little C++ DOS program that runs, I've tried making sure the first name up (some paladin ajantis?) was something other than true class thinking maybe it's somehow classifiying them all as true class once I've designated  the first one, etc.

Very strange, I'll look into the shadowkeeper fix though.

just to clarify though, other people are successful in getting custom NPC kits applied to their NPCS in BGtutu?

even on reinstall doing a quick game with imoen as a swashbuckler as soon as she joins me, sure enough, she's just a thief.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 03:09:03 PM »
Why DID you guys give some of the NPC's dualwielding? I think that ruins the BG1-feel :'(

I agree completely, actually.  My only defense is that I wasn't the one who made the NPCs BG2-compatible. :)

Uninstalled and reinstalled everything, started a new game, no kits applied to new characters. Very very strange. I'v etried using lower case and caps in the little C++ DOS program that runs, I've tried making sure the first name up (some paladin ajantis?) was something other than true class thinking maybe it's somehow classifiying them all as true class once I've designated the first one, etc.

Very strange, I'll look into the shadowkeeper fix though.

just to clarify though, other people are successful in getting custom NPC kits applied to their NPCS in BGtutu?

even on reinstall doing a quick game with imoen as a swashbuckler as soon as she joins me, sure enough, she's just a thief.

Very strange.  I've never heard of anyone having the problem you're experiencing, either.  God, I love computers--they're such logical, precise, easily predictable machines.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Merkmerk

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 05:53:11 PM »
Well, I used shadowkeeper to turn garrick into a jester.....but!! Guess what? His bard song doesn't function as anything other than a normal bardsong despite him being the correct kit, boo-urns!!!

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 07:35:52 PM »
I think he'll need to level up once before he'll get any kit abilities.  Boo-urns is right. :(  The indignities we must suffer to have 1024x768 resolution, eh?  Heheh.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Merkmerk

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 08:09:36 PM »
The indignities we must suffer to have 1024x768 resolution, eh?  Heheh.

Its totally worth it =)

Garrick leveled up once and his bard song still doesn't work, be something interesting to check out in a next tutufix
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 09:12:32 PM by Merkmerk »

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 10:16:25 PM »
Does it say Jester on his character screen?  I just did a test, changing his kit to Jester via SK, recruiting him, and even without levelling up, he confused a kobold with his song.  Perhaps you just forgot to save the edit you made or something?  I dunno.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Merkmerk

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 10:59:24 PM »
Does it say Jester on his character screen?  I just did a test, changing his kit to Jester via SK, recruiting him, and even without levelling up, he confused a kobold with his song.  Perhaps you just forgot to save the edit you made or something?  I dunno.

Yes it says Jester, however his song only provides battle song.

When you say you changed him via SK, recruiting him, does that imply you were able to change him before you ever met him?

In either case I'm going to try and dump him off and then pick him back up and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for all your help though maybe I can squash this little bug I'm experiencing.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 11:40:14 PM »
Yeah, I edited him in his out-of-party form, but editing him in-party should really make no difference.  Strange.
Earn Money Sleeping.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: