Author Topic: Stupid Question about Mod Versions  (Read 2198 times)

Retet

Stupid Question about Mod Versions
« on: November 29, 2005, 11:06:55 AM »
Okay -- I know very, very little about computers -- So here's the dumb question:

How do I install a new version of one of your most excellent mods?

Do I uninstall the old one?  Do I just download and install the new one?

I'm real cautions about these things.

Thanks!

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
Re: Stupid Question about Mod Versions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:28:47 PM »
I think unistalling is unnecesery, it might even cause trouble with saves...
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline balduran

• Supremacy of the Metal Kingdom
  • Planewalker
  • Photo - useless. Inner beauty - questionable.
    • BG2 Improvements Mod by Victor and azure NPC Romance
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 04:53:38 AM »
Okay -- I know very, very little about computers -- So here's the dumb question:

Thanks!

As Borsook said, it's better to uninstall the old version and then install the new one. Although  installing over would work for some mods, there could be problems with mods that have a number of their components removed or merged together, or even if there are new components added to the mod. But it's generally an issue of how the modder packed their creation. For example, if the new component is added at the beginning of the tp2 file, it would be counted as the new "component 0" and the old one will be "component 1". There can also be issues with other mod looking for mod component's number. If the new component is added at the end of the file (as all modders should do), then there will probably be no problem.
Ask not! Dominate!

http://balduran.blackwyrmlair.net

-- BG2 Improvements
-- Azure NPC Romance

"In the end, my girlfirend became my arch-enemy, my arch-enemy became my best friend, and my best friend became my girlfriend. But hey - that's high school!"

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 05:01:54 AM »

Thanks!

As Borsook said, it's better to uninstall the old version and then install the new one. Although  installing over would work for some mods, there could be problems with mods that have a number of their components removed or merged together, or even if there are new components added to the mod. But it's generally an issue of how the modder packed their creation. For example, if the new component is added at the beginning of the tp2 file, it would be counted as the new "component 0" and the old one will be "component 1". There can also be issues with other mod looking for mod component's number. If the new component is added at the end of the file (as all modders should do), then there will probably be no problem.
Well, I actually said the oposite... I assumed he wanted to upgrade from the previous version (2.1), which would not require uninstalling to my knowledge, but maybe I was to hasty in this assumption and the question should be asked from which version is the upgrade done.
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Offline balduran

• Supremacy of the Metal Kingdom
  • Planewalker
  • Photo - useless. Inner beauty - questionable.
    • BG2 Improvements Mod by Victor and azure NPC Romance
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 05:06:56 AM »
[Well, I actually said the oposite... I assumed he wanted to upgrade from the previous version (2.1), which would not require uninstalling to my knowledge, but maybe I was to hasty in this assumption and the question should be asked from which version is the upgrade done.

Oops, I misread. Sorry Borsook!
Ask not! Dominate!

http://balduran.blackwyrmlair.net

-- BG2 Improvements
-- Azure NPC Romance

"In the end, my girlfirend became my arch-enemy, my arch-enemy became my best friend, and my best friend became my girlfriend. But hey - that's high school!"

Retet

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 07:36:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies --

Let me answer some of the ambituity of my first post.  Yes, I was talking specificly about upgrading to the most recent version of the Quest Pack.  And, I was also asking the question from a more general perspective.

So the advice is (generally) to unistall the old mod version, and then re-install the most recent version? 

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 08:41:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies --

Let me answer some of the ambituity of my first post.  Yes, I was talking specificly about upgrading to the most recent version of the Quest Pack.  And, I was also asking the question from a more general perspective.

So the advice is (generally) to unistall the old mod version, and then re-install the most recent version? 
Well, it's good to have a look at the readme and see what's changed. If a new unconnected component is added (as in some tweak pack) there's no need to uninstall, simply install the new one. If some bufixes are presented reinstalling a component in question will be enough. Sometimes the structure of the mod changes (it may not be visible for the user), but hopefully then the modder will tell you in the readme that a previous version has to be uninstalled. The business is a bit tricky, uninstalling may be safer in 90% of situations but in others it may be more problematic...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: