Author Topic: Non-drinking thread  (Read 26518 times)

Offline Evaine Dian

• Planewalker
Re: Non-drinking thread
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2005, 05:41:18 PM »
I don't know how about others, but I strongly dislike the company of drunk persons.
My feelings vary from disgust towards those who are under slight influence of alcohol to homicidal hatred towards those who are really drunk.

Most people I know (myself included) don't get terribly different when they're drunk, they just laugh more and have funny ideas that make great retelling material. I've hardly met anyone whom I found disgusting, not even the stranger who sat next to me in cinema, mistook me for his girlfriend and fondled my thigh extensively ;)
"Show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream", she said,
"the one that makes me laugh!" she said and threw her arms around my neck.
"Show me how you do it and I promise you, I promise that
I'll run away with you, I'll run away with you..."

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2005, 06:38:40 PM »
.My feelings vary from disgust towards those who are under slight influence of alcohol to homicidal hatred towards those who are really drunk.

May I ask why?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Exodus

• 1 half of the omg we are teh funy team
  • Planewalker
  • Redhead
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2005, 07:55:11 PM »
.My feelings vary from disgust towards those who are under slight influence of alcohol to homicidal hatred towards those who are really drunk.

May I ask why?

Just make sure he's sobre when you answer that Sorrow.
Public Warning - Seifer is one half of the crack elite team recognised by JC as the "omg we are teh funy" team!  You have been warned!

http://www.omgwearetehfuny.net

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2005, 08:04:42 PM »
Hey, I'm sober. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2005, 09:00:34 PM »
Alcohol. Helps me relax from a hard days work but I don't drink until I'm drunk only when I get comfortable. I may go overboard on the weekends though.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2005, 09:20:57 PM »
Just like there are all kinds of people, there are all kinds of drunks.  Asshole drunks, funny drunks, sleepy drunks, horny drunks, etc.  Being disgusted with someone simply because they've had a few drinks is as ignorant as being disgusted with someone simply because they're human.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2005, 09:49:25 PM »
I fall into these ones more often than being and asshole.
funny drunks, sleepy drunks, horny drunks
Mostly funny, obnoxius.  ;)
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Cheeky Girl

• Hedonism at its best.
  • Planewalker
  • Every day should be a holiday.
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2005, 10:07:39 PM »
Just like there are all kinds of people, there are all kinds of drunks.  Asshole drunks, funny drunks, sleepy drunks, horny drunks, etc.  Being disgusted with someone simply because they've had a few drinks is as ignorant as being disgusted with someone simply because they're human.
Well said.  ;)

The one philosophy I truly adhere to is "Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die."  The type of drunk I am depends on the type of alcohol I had.  I generally tend to be a funny drunk, though occasionally I've been known to be a horny drunk.
I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose.
-Steven Wright

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2005, 01:48:43 AM »
@Sorrow's question. I don't have any problems with not drinking. For a long time my friends who did drink had problems as I was constantly making fun of them (like getting them drunk and then talking into playing chess, filming it and showing it to them the next morning) While generally I think that while drunk people tend to loose their self-respect, it doesn't bother me, and I rather like being the only sober in a company of alcohol-influenced people. :)
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2005, 05:42:45 AM »
My father is an alcoholic, and for most of my life I never saw him sober. When he finally decided to only get drunk on special occasions about 15 years ago, I was stunned by how dry and funny and clever he is when sober, and how much I enjoyed being in his company.
I don't generally find drunks very entertaining - although one of my sisters is hilarious after 3 champagnes and a Bacardi and coke - but it does depend on how drunk they are. Once a drunk gets to slurring, falling down and vomiting they have no entertainment value at all.
Among my father's friends men who don't drink are deeply suspect. But since dad and his mates have unresolved male ego issues, their views can't be taken too seriously.
I personally like drinking, and enjoy a good wine, and was surprised that I was surprised when a colleague informed me he didn't drink. I had to recollect that drinking isn't compulsory. I think alcohol is seen as an acceptable recreational drug because it can be so civilised - wine with a meal, fine brandy and port, etc.   
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Meddle.

• Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2005, 11:47:48 AM »
My feelings vary from disgust towards those who are under slight influence of alcohol to homicidal hatred towards those who are really drunk.

I tend to agree with Icelus somewhat. One should have compassion towards those who drink [heavily]. Maybe they have serious problems, obvious or not, just like Sorrow seems to have traumatic experience.
chaos matters

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2005, 01:24:02 PM »
I find that drinking tends to bring out the real person behind their facade.  In moderation.  Taken to extremes, it just turns you into a slurring, uncoordinated fuckstick.

So if you find that you're a depressed or angry drunk, it's time to take a good hard look at your priorities in life.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Sorrow

• Planewalker
  • Grim and Frostbitten
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2005, 03:54:59 PM »
I don't know.
I don't think it brings out a real person.
I think that it rather melts it.

May I ask why?

Maybe I have overexaggerated with the "disgust".
I just dislike how alcohol affects human organism and human mind.
I tried drinking small amounts of alcohol a few times and I think that it's not worth it.
I prefer to have a clear mind and I don't have ano problems with having fun on parties without drinking alcohol, so I don't se a point in lessening my self-control and coordination.
I hate how people willingly lose their dignity and self-control when they are really drunk.
When I see someone that stands barely on it's feet and tries to say something coherent, but is unable to, I just want to beat it till it's dead.
Of course I have more than enough self-control to don't do anything like that, but the bad impression remains.
I feel deep hate and disgust towards people who have no dignity (not only drunk).

Being disgusted with someone simply because they've had a few drinks is as ignorant as being disgusted with someone simply because they're human.

I don't forgive such weakness.
If they are disgusting to me because they've had a few drinks is their fault, not mine.
They could have a few drink less or don't drink at all and retain their dignity and self control.
Your statement is completely irrevelant, because people should be responsible for their own behaviour.
If they willingly lead themselves to the state when they have limited self-control, it's purely their fault.

@Sorrow's question. I don't have any problems with not drinking. For a long time my friends who did drink had problems as I was constantly making fun of them (like getting them drunk and then talking into playing chess, filming it and showing it to them the next morning) While generally I think that while drunk people tend to loose their self-respect, it doesn't bother me, and I rather like being the only sober in a company of alcohol-influenced people. :)

LOL
Drunk people are perfect toys :D .
I remember using one girl as a target for shooting practice :) .
That was quite funny, especially that she couldn't do anything to stop me :D .
Yeah, drinking in copany of sober people is dangerous ;D .
Siblinghood
Unity
Peace

One Vision!
One Purpose!

-----------------------------

My DeviantArt gallery

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2005, 04:01:58 PM »
So where do you draw the line?  Alcohol is unacceptable to you, but what about other recreational drugs?  What about caffeine or sugar?  By your statement earlier you stated that you were disgusted with people even if they've only had very little to drink, so shouldn't that same sentiment be applied to someone who is acting a little wacky because they've had an excessive amount of sugar or caffeine? 
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Sorrow

• Planewalker
  • Grim and Frostbitten
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2005, 04:31:35 PM »
I said that I overexaggerated when I said about being disgusted with people who drink small amounts of alcohol, though I don't like it's smell.
I have no problems with really small amounts of alcohol, but I prefer to avoid it altogether, because I don't like it's effects on my body and mind.
I think that coffeine is more acceptable, because amount of it that would make people lose dignity and self-control would probably kill them too :) .
Besides that I've never seen a person that had an excessive amount of coffeine/sugar and behaved like a person who had an excessive amount of alcohol.
Siblinghood
Unity
Peace

One Vision!
One Purpose!

My DeviantArt gallery

Offline fcm

• Muahaha?
  • Planewalker
  • Fresh
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2005, 04:35:15 PM »
Sorrow, you're disgusted when women wear makeup. You need to come to terms with humanity. A lot of your opinions on how people should and should not behave are downright unreasonable . . . not to mention arrogant. You're human too, after all. A little humility and a little bit less judgementalism would make you a much more agreeable person.

I, personally, don't drink. Alchoholism is rampant in my family, and I'm not about to test the water to see if I'm subject to it or not. It bothers me to be surrounded by people who are drinking just because of the whole "temptation" issue, but in general, I try not to care about it too much. The only problem I have with drunks is that, as a college student, the only real kind of drunk I ever experience is the sloppy, disgusting, 20-year-old obnoxious girl drunk and the aggressive frat-boy drunk. My friends get really "dancey" when they're drunk, though. That's fun. I kind of like dancing, and if they're drunk, they don't notice how bad I am at it. Haha.
Imbriglicated!

Offline Sorrow

• Planewalker
  • Grim and Frostbitten
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2005, 05:32:41 PM »
Sorrow, you're disgusted when women wear makeup. You need to come to terms with humanity. A lot of your opinions on how people should and should not behave are downright unreasonable . . . not to mention arrogant. You're human too, after all. A little humility and a little bit less judgementalism would make you a much more agreeable person.

Yup, I'm a human too ;D .
I just find drinking and make-up highly unattractive.
I'm not judgemental towards all human race.
It's like people complaining that men/women are swines, I'm frustrated with lack of compatibile romance partner and suddenly most of humanity seems to be flaved because they are not like me (i.e. non-drinking, non-made-up).
People can do what they want as long as they aren't my close ones (i.e. live in one house with me).
As for friends...
I prefer to see them when they are sober.
Siblinghood
Unity
Peace

One Vision!
One Purpose!

My DeviantArt gallery

Offline Cheeky Girl

• Hedonism at its best.
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2005, 05:37:27 PM »

LOL
Drunk people are perfect toys :D .
I remember using one girl as a target for shooting practice :) .
That was quite funny, especially that she couldn't do anything to stop me :D .
Yeah, drinking in copany of sober people is dangerous ;D .

Your intolerance is a definite sign of inmaturity.  Not all drunks are disgusting beings with no self-control.  As long as we're on the subject of being disgusted, I wouldn't go as far a calling the kettle black.  C'mon, what kind of respectable human being would go as far as using a girl who happened to be intoxicated at the time as human target?!  Your perception on disgust is seriously fucked up flawed.  

-Steven Wright

Offline Cheeky Girl

• Hedonism at its best.
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2005, 05:43:16 PM »

Yup, I'm a human too ;D .
I just find drinking and make-up highly unattractive.
I'm not judgemental towards all human race.
It's like people complaining that men/women are swines, I'm frustrated with lack of compatibile romance partner and suddenly most of humanity seems to be flaved because they are not like me (i.e. non-drinking, non-made-up).
People can do what they want as long as they aren't my close ones (i.e. live in one house with me).
As for friends...
I prefer to see them when they are sober.

Perhaps, if you were to bring your rather rigid standards down a notch, and stopped acting like an emo boy you might actually bag a decent mate.  ;)
-Steven Wright

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2005, 06:37:33 PM »
I think it's fine to have rigid standards, and think people who drink are disgusting, if you want to think that. So long as you don't expect everyone else to agree...

Offline Sorrow

• Planewalker
  • Grim and Frostbitten
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2005, 06:49:48 PM »
Your intolerance is a definite sign of inmaturity.  Not all drunks are disgusting beings with no self-control.  As long as we're on the subject of being disgusted, I wouldn't go as far a calling the kettle black.  C'mon, what kind of respectable human being would go as far as using a girl who happened to be intoxicated at the time as human target?!  Your perception on disgust is seriously fucked up flawed.

I didn't say that I'm good, kind or perfect.

Whole situation happened few years ago when I was on a Camp with my class.
I was forced to go, despite the fact, that teachers knew that there will be heavy drinking.
Since everyone except me and one other person were drunk, and I had noone to talk to and nothing interesting to do...
Today I wouldn't do that, it could annoy someone enought to make him/her attack me...

The problem is that I could use her as a target for shooting practice and she could do nothing about it, because she was intoxicated.
I wouldn't like to be with someone that willingly becomes completely helpless in company of people who can't be trusted completely.
This means that what she have done was wrong, because it put her in very dangerous situation (i.e. if someone wanted to kill her or to rape her, she wouldn't be able to anything, if the house was on fire, she wouldn't be able to do anything if some of her friends would get hurt, she wouldn't be able to help her/him, not to mention, that she nearly killed herself, when she tried to use stairs.).
(I'm not trying to justify using her as target, but I'm talking about the part of being really drunk that really, really fills me with disgust.)

I had some unpleasant and dangerous experiences with drunk friends and I don't want to have anything to do with drunk people anymore.
Those experiences weren't about that that drunk people are dangerous, or disgusting by themselves but they tend to provoke dangerous situations by their pure stupidity and are almost completely useless in dangerous situation.

If avoiding company people who are in state that puts me and them in danger is immature, then I prefer to stay immature (and alive).

Perhaps, if you were to bring your rather rigid standards down a notch, and stopped acting like an emo boy you might actually bag a decent mate.  ;)

I value vigilance, dignity and safety, if those are rigid standards, then I prefer them to stay so.
Err...
What does "Emo boy" mean?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 07:17:04 PM by Sorrow »
Siblinghood
Unity
Peace

One Vision!
One Purpose!

My DeviantArt gallery

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2005, 10:41:59 PM »

I'm excited because just today I discovered the meaning of "emo". It is a term for the school of music known as "emotional punk-rock", characterised by depressed yet privileged young men who wear black eye makeup and sing/listen to depressing music with the volume turned up. It is generally used in a dismissive manner as the music concerned tends to lack depth and/or maturity in terms of lyrics, structure or meaning.

Most of us are emo at some time in our lives... particularly when we're teenagers. It's practically a rite of passage. You must be one of: spocky, emo, preppy, cynical or cool. At least, that's the way things were when I was a lass... :)

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2005, 01:55:51 AM »
I pick #1, #2 (mostly past that now), and #4
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2005, 03:47:46 AM »
If everyone is responsible for their own behaviour Soz, then you are responsible for your feelings towards drunks, not them. Fair enough, avoid drunks who are dangerous. But why foster supercharged negative feelings about harmless ones? People do stupid unattractive things: they're called mistakes. 
The trouble with having rigid standards is you do expect others to agree with them, and you judge them harshly when they don't. Then your tolerance muscles start to atrophy and you end up bitter and lonely and a gigantic pain in the arse.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Cheeky Girl

• Hedonism at its best.
  • Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2005, 05:17:20 AM »

I had some unpleasant and dangerous experiences with drunk friends and I don't want to have anything to do with drunk people anymore.
Those experiences weren't about that that drunk people are dangerous, or disgusting by themselves but they tend to provoke dangerous situations by their pure stupidity and are almost completely useless in dangerous situation.

If avoiding company people who are in state that puts me and them in danger is immature, then I prefer to stay immature (and alive).

I value vigilance, dignity and safety, if those are rigid standards, then I prefer them to stay so.

I commend you on your decision to not drink.  However, I find your harsh [judgmental] comments and intolerance very off-putting.  People do stupid things all the time, regardless of whether there's alcohol involved or not.  Just because you had a negative experience, it doesn't mean that all the drunks are reckless daredevils endangering everyone around them.    
You claim you never said you were good, kind or perfect, but your attitude and your earlier remarks suggest otherwise.  

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo&page=2 Definition 14 sounds about right.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 05:27:40 AM by Cheeky Girl »
-Steven Wright