Author Topic: TOB not install/But it is!  (Read 3858 times)

Offline stramoski

• Planewalker
TOB not install/But it is!
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:02:55 PM »
I'm trying to install Virtue, but I'm getting an "ToB" not installed message, when I have ToB installed.  Is there some way to force the install, or is that a bad idea?

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Re: TOB not install/But it is!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 02:30:50 PM »
Hmm. Did you do a full install of SoA? (Or ToB, if anything else is possible.)

Offline stramoski

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 03:10:56 PM »
Yep...  The only thing strange with my install is that I used that new Multi-Install tool from G3.  How does it check for a full install?  That might be my problem.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:13:18 PM »
Okay, yeh, the multi-install tool will break my checks for ToB (and those in some other mods too-- Ascension possibly). I'll see what I can do about it. For now, you can try opening up "setup-virtue.tp2" and deleting any lines that begin "REQUIRE_FILE".

Offline stramoski

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 03:24:24 PM »
Great, thanks!  Is there just a specific directory or file it's checking for?

Never mind, just followed your instructions, and it seems there are a few...  I'll just copy them over, to be on the safe side...

Edit:
Aw, screw it...  I just copied the entire DATA directory over, after a few more errors...  It seems like that handy MIT could copy that directory, along with the ones it does...  It's a whole gig, though.  I guess the tool is for folks whose hard drive space is at a premium.
At any rate, it's now installed!!!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 03:34:17 PM by stramoski »

Offline Idobek

• Dust Bunny
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 03:39:29 PM »
Most mods check for a bif file in the data directory. If you have used the multi-install tool that file is not there, modders can correct this by changing the file check so it looks for a file in a different way (using the engine's internal file structure as opposed to the operating system's file structure). Gamer's can look for REQUIRE_FILE commands in the tp2 and delete them, as Sim said, this is the method most mods currently use to find ToB.
The Gibberlings Three Forums

<SimDing0> Did you know G3 has secret forum rules?
<CamDawg> Yep. They're generally of the nature 'don't annoy Idobek.'

Offline stramoski

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 03:48:32 PM »
Makes sense, but what if the mod actually manipulates those files, and they are not there?

I've no idea if they can do that, so excuse me if I'm way off, but I copied only the three files which were referenced by that REQUIRE_FILE command, and my "ToB is not installed" message simply became a demand for some specific file.  Creature.cre, IIRC...  After that, I just decided to copy the whole Dir over...

Offline Idobek

• Dust Bunny
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 03:59:50 PM »
Makes sense, but what if the mod actually manipulates those files, and they are not there?
That's why we check for bif files in the data folder and not for files in the override folder, which are the ones we might want to manipulate.
I've no idea if they can do that, so excuse me if I'm way off, but I copied only the three files which were referenced by that REQUIRE_FILE command, and my "ToB is not installed" message simply became a demand for some specific file. Creature.cre, IIRC... After that, I just decided to copy the whole Dir over...
I don't think you understand. Open the Setup-Virtue.tp2 file, find the lines that have REQUIRE_FILE on them, delete those lines, save the file, run Setup-Virtue.exe. There is no copying required, (and copying your data folder over utterly destroys the point of using the multi-install tool).
The Gibberlings Three Forums

<SimDing0> Did you know G3 has secret forum rules?
<CamDawg> Yep. They're generally of the nature 'don't annoy Idobek.'

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 03:59:58 PM »
I think that most mods while checking for TOB in fact look for 25Dialog.bif, so in case of "Tob not installed" issue you can start with those lines then move to requirements with other bifs if it doesn't help.
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline stramoski

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 04:12:36 PM »
Ok, I guess I'll just follow directions, next time, rather that trying to be clever... :P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: