Author Topic: "The Circle" mod!  (Read 39282 times)

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
Re: "The Circle" mod!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2005, 08:03:45 AM »
What I wrote (about you wanting the mod be removed) was exactly what I read in the following two download sites:

http://dragonshoard.blackwyrmlair.net/download.php

http://iegmc.blackwyrmlair.net/download.php

It's interesting that my browser fails to open these addresses today, they were valid links to two download sites.

If you have not actually said what they quoted from you, you can deny it here and we will surely take your word as the most reliable source to know your opinion.

Asking mods to be removed from an unauthorised mirror isn't the same as doing the same from the Modlist.

The fact that the mod made my game crash, however, was my own experience trying to play it.

Strange. I wonder what happened.
sconrad.net

jcompton: "When did the switch flip in your brain that made this make sense to you?"

Spellhold Studios - Where the switch flipped in our brains that made things make sense!

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2005, 08:40:28 AM »
Shed has already mentioned the cause:

It's meant to do that. You have your eyes gouged out.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Shard

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2005, 08:24:08 AM »
The Circle?
Eww...

_Baronius

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2005, 05:34:29 PM »
Asking mods to be removed from an unauthorised mirror isn't the same as doing the same from the Modlist.
Yuck, him and a few others (me included) did this out of the... incomprensions which there have been when the dragon's lair had been set up.

*sigh* It seems that some topics love to dig them into entirely different topics, they can't be exiled from the community. The following information was proven by the time and events themselves. Everyone can consider it. It's not too interesting though, so I cannot recommend to read it for those who dislike this kind of stuff (modding IE game is much more useful). The two reasons I still tell it: 1. It was brought up.  2. It has a lesson. A very good lesson. A lesson for me, and possibly others as well.

It was a simple misunderstanding because of wrong/ambigious information; the result of a person's machinations due to his jealousity and enviousity, who, having reputation in the IE modding community for years, misused this advantage of him to manipulate masses. Jealousity, because he wanted to be the only one who hosts large mods, wanted to keep the status quo that had dominated for years. Enviosity, because the other host was (and is) much faster than his server. The other host did not intend to compete, but he couldn't suffer (and probably still can't suffer) that while the other host is chosen by many downloaders, his site is very slow. He tried to make a very bad reputation for the other mirror and its owner with the help of his mass manipulation methods (accusing others of trying to make money from the mirror while it was him who started the debate and misled a user; introducing a misunderstanding as an intentional malevolent act -- while now in the present, we know it was not true; the other mirror itself proved it, and so on.). The effectiveness of his subtle methods was proved by the reactions of a specific modding group, where so heavy and impulsive comments appeared that contained the worst of bad words. Fortunately the misunderstanding was sorted out, and he didn't reach his goal. However, the other mirror still apologised for something which wasn't done intentionally, as it is correct in this way.  Nonetheless his next step was a miserable one, when he accused the Modder Questionnaire of "having an ulteriror motive" (exact quote), which also proved to be false (but common sense was enough to realise: what ulterior motive can I questionnaire have?!!...). In his last desperacy (or stupidness?), he brought up the topic again about the other mod mirror and said that its title(!!!) (something taken from the fantasy world) suggests how unethical the site is..(!!!) --- and thus he made a fool from hisemfl eventually, totally losing his credit.

So it's sad how certain people are misled, as they think they set a good example by denying 'permission' to mirror their mods. First of all, it was a misunderstanding, but due to the machinations of the aforementioned person, they still believe that it wasn't. Instead of 'setting an example', they let themselves to be misled, and also lose a lot of potential downloaders and fans of their mods by not choosing a fast and highly visited place. And now there is nothing to be here related to permissions, as the site clearly says that any mod is gladly hosted there if the author wishes so. And many many many modders do so.

I now consider this topic to be closed from my part. If anyone is interested in any details, I will gladly answer his or her email. Why? Because the whole thing has a lesson. And it can be surprising sometimes how reputation abuse and mass manipulation works.
Naturally, I don't strive to prevent the topic from being brought up in forum threads (I couldn't do so anyway), but I hope that the lesson of the story is obvious for everyone. It was a lesson to the mirror site called DHDC and me (greater carefulness when trusting others), it showed how mass manipulation can make a hill from a small pebble.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2005, 07:11:23 PM »
mmmkay, then.

So, yes.  Circle Mod bad.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 01:07:06 AM »
So it's sad how certain people are misled, as they think they set a good example by denying 'permission' to mirror their mods. First of all, it was a misunderstanding, but due to the machinations of the aforementioned person, they still believe that it wasn't. Instead of 'setting an example', they let themselves to be misled, and also lose a lot of potential downloaders and fans of their mods by not choosing a fast and highly visited place. And now there is nothing to be here related to permissions, as the site clearly says that any mod is gladly hosted there if the author wishes so. And many many many modders do so.

I'd just like to note that I visited Dragon's Hoard yesterday, examining it as a potential mirror with vast opportunities, and was sorely disappointed when I noticed that many mods presented were outdated. For example, BG1 NPC project, in which I myself took part, or Edwin's Romance, or... examples are many. So, I would not be hasty in proclaiming that modders decline permission or express dislike on having their mods mirrored by Dragon's Hoard solely because of a single misunderstanding. Timely (or, in this case, untimely) updates also play their part.

Offline Baronius

• Planewalker
    • The Black Wyrm modding & gaming community
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2005, 10:32:37 AM »
:)
You are not familiar with what a server restoration means, but it is not your fault. The server that hosts DragonsHoard was activated a few days ago, and DHDC was restored in its more than one-month status. This is because I restored the server, but DHDC's admin is dragon_lord and not me, and unfortunately, due to some permission settings that I didn't manage to set correctly yesterday (now they're okay fortunately), he was unable to update the files.
The other alternative would have been to keep DHDC closed until it's updated, but then it would have been unavailable, and many up-to-date versions would have remained unavailable to users. Many users sent emails asking about DHDC and about when it will be back.

But it seems you're not getting the point either. So here are some more accurate details, really just to make it clear for those who are interested in this boring topic. So you say that they 'decline permissions.' We ask for no one's permission, we put up mods if the author contacts us and asks so. Sometimes we contact the authors of promising mods who don't know about the DHDC possibility, and ask if they want their mod to be supported by DH. The 'permission scandal' was the same: those files were hosted by our fast server which got permission from the users through TheWizard (He wrote this in his email, i.e. that he asked authors and he is sure they don't mind it if their works will be mirrored by Black Wyrm Lair). I thought it was impossible to ask so many authors, but then I thought I would trust him and won't question him about it. Then TheWizard wanted to receive all donations to his pocket (including the ones that were offered directly to our server and which we could use to pay a part of the server costs) and he wanted to divide how much we should get, and we didn't agree. Then we splitted, and we thought that since mods have been hosted on the server, why not to keep them, since  authors don't mind their mods mirrored by BWL(thewiz's email) plus it will be the SAME server as before, just with faster connection and another name.
As soon as this happened, TheWizard basically denied his email and said the permission was connected to his name and started his manipulation campaign, and managed to misled lots of naive internet visitors and many others as well. From this point, my previous post describes everything that followed the split.
Except a few misled modders, victims of manipulation, no one 'denied' permission. In fact, certain users assured us that they want their mods to be mirrored there.

Additionally, if you're disappointed with DHDC, it's okay, please don't use it then. It's a possibility only. (Anyway, those players who prefer DHDC, will certainly wait for it to be updated even if iegmc has the newer version, because it will be updated on DHDC before the download from iegmc would finish.)
All in all, everyone is free to choose a download mirror. Fortunately we feel that our efforts with DHDC are not in vain, because we have got several congratulations from players, and many thanks emails from mod authors. but the huge amount of downloaded data is what really represents the usefulness of this mirror; and we're happy that we can bring these great works to players.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 10:38:46 AM by Baronius »
The Black Wyrm modding & gaming community: www.blackwyrmlair.net

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2005, 10:39:36 AM »
Circle.  Mod.  Bad.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2005, 10:48:33 AM »
Circle.  Mod.  Bad.
Stop it. You're making me wanna play it ;)
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Evaine Dian

• Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2005, 11:03:21 AM »
I wish it had voicing :'(
"Show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream", she said,
"the one that makes me laugh!" she said and threw her arms around my neck.
"Show me how you do it and I promise you, I promise that
I'll run away with you, I'll run away with you..."

Offline Baronius

• Planewalker
    • The Black Wyrm modding & gaming community
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2005, 11:12:21 AM »
Since so many people are telling so many nice things about it, I will have to try this mod if I can get some time (some day).  ;D
The Black Wyrm modding & gaming community: www.blackwyrmlair.net

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2005, 11:26:51 AM »
I wish it had voicing :'(

It does have some...

Also, it is the only mod that has crossmod content with Rowan :P
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 11:31:30 AM by Grim Squeaker »
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline Evaine Dian

• Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2005, 12:48:47 PM »
I could never get it to work in my game, so all I could do was to read the text file.
"Show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream", she said,
"the one that makes me laugh!" she said and threw her arms around my neck.
"Show me how you do it and I promise you, I promise that
I'll run away with you, I'll run away with you..."

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2005, 07:09:34 PM »
So we've talked about Worship the Unseeing Eye and the Circle mod, but what about the "Natlia Romans"?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005, 07:30:40 PM »
So we've talked about Worship the Unseeing Eye and the Circle mod, but what about the "Natlia Romans"?

Is it more akin to the Circle or the Worship of the Unseeing Eye?

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2005, 07:32:13 PM »
It has a unique charm all its own.

Plus you get to romnance Natlia lolz.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2005, 08:43:02 PM »
Andyr revived this thread. 

Poll: How do we punish him?
A. Tar and Feather
B. Draw and Quarter
C. Pubic Flogging
D. BANE

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2005, 08:49:23 PM »

I have to play the mod before I could comment on a (deserved?) punishment.  Strangely, I could'nt find the mod thru the PPG modlist. Does anyone have the link handy? :)

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2005, 08:53:14 PM »
I don't have it handy, but it was on the same as The Circle.

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2005, 09:53:35 PM »

I regret to say that I cannot dl the mod, all I get is "file type unavailable." Really, the mods should be readily available so any idiot *me* can find them. Why the mystery?  Slap 'em up on the home page, highlight them in red on the modlist, but stop being so secretive, please.  :)

Thanks for replying, Bex.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2005, 10:27:35 PM »
Hmm... the site doesn't work anymore. I think it's a nefarious plot to keep people from wasting their time playing extremely silly mods.

I actually have the .zip file floating around on a disc from the last time I backed up my PC. Would you like it?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2005, 09:46:04 AM »

A. Tar and Feather
B. Draw and Quarter
C. Pubic Flogging
D. BANE

Oops, sorry. Someone linked it to me so I had assumed it was current and didn't look at the dates, heh. Option A always sounds good to me.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2005, 10:21:38 AM »

A. Tar and Feather
B. Draw and Quarter
C. Pubic Flogging
D. BANE

Oops, sorry. Someone linked it to me so I had assumed it was current and didn't look at the dates, heh. Option A always sounds good to me.
You won't talk yourself out of this one. Why choose? I vote A&B&C&D
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2005, 02:30:26 PM »
  First of all a Big Thanks to Bex for going to the trouble of sending me the file!  :) Keeshond mixes' companions rule!

Second, Andyr's punishment. Because the mod is sooo bad, sorry TeamFlapJack, I think none of the punishments listed are severe enough to fit his crime. Sorry Andyr, I think you deserve all the punishments and even then you are getting off lightly.

Thirdly, here's my mod review: Natlia Romans is no Circle. I hate to admit it but there is a certain artistry to the Circle which is sadly lacking in the Natlia encounter.

Offline Gregor

• Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2006, 11:54:09 PM »
Um...before you break out the tar and feathers again, could I just, like, real quick ask someone to send me the Circle mod?  If I get it, I swear to Bhaal I'll never, ever mention it again.  Thanks for your understanding.
Don't Touch Me!  That's...very important.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: