Author Topic: The Nightmare Semantics Analysis Challenge  (Read 25465 times)

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: The Nightmare Semantics Analysis Challenge
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2005, 01:39:59 AM »
Now I feel bad. I could have just ignored him. But I didn't. I actively engaged in banter, selfishly allowing my enjoyment of a good stoush to over-ride the greater good that comes that comes from ignoring silly statements.  Feeding trolls again. I hang my head in shame.

That's sort of the thing.  Once in a while I enjoy a good argument.  Not to say that this past round has been terribly good.

I hereby pledge to resist the urge in future. Really hard. Honest. DON"T LEAVE US, BONS! YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED SURAYAH!  :'(

If this turns into a "we wuv oo Bons" thread, I'm going to vomit.

Corvis, you are the funniest man in Cyberspace.

He totally stole my kitten bit.  I'm pretty sure.  Not that it's very original to begin with, but anyways.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2005, 02:17:23 AM »
Now I feel bad. I could have just ignored him. But I didn't. I actively engaged in banter, selfishly allowing my enjoyment of a good stoush to over-ride the greater good that comes that comes from ignoring silly statements. Feeding trolls again. I hang my head in shame.
That's sort of the thing. Once in a while I enjoy a good argument. Not to say that this past round has been terribly good.

I had fun, but I agree it's not archive material. My style is too dry. Real passion is required for archive quality.

He totally stole my kitten bit. I'm pretty sure. Not that it's very original to begin with, but anyways.

Never mind. Being the second funniest man in cyberspace isn't too bad. 

If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2005, 04:28:13 AM »
I hereby pledge to resist the urge in future. Really hard. Honest. DON"T LEAVE US, BONS! YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED SURAYAH!  :'(

Will you describe it in detail? If so, I'm sure the thread can be turned :D
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2005, 04:56:54 AM »
If we apply Feminist Deconstruction to this statement, it could appear that the speaker does in fact believe that when a woman disagrees with a man she is behaving in a very unseemly and unwomanly way. So yep, BR.
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure only you would come to that conclusion, as most other people know that it is not only possible but extremely easy to disagree with someone without mocking them or appearing arrogant.

Does this mean that if I was a man, it would be alright to disagree with you?
I think I've said enough things in this thread already for you to pick up on that inventing things I've said is entirely unneccessary.  Anyone is free to disagree with anyone else, whether they're man, women, or indeed a mixture of the two or gender neutral.  I also think I've already established that I don't consider acting in a mocking and arrogant manner to be smart, no matter what gender you are.  EDIT: oh, and yes I may well often act in a mocking and arrogant manner - but then, I don't think I ever claimed to be especially smart.  If at any point I did, that just proves I'm not.

Only if the rules are the same for everyone. If one group is expected to be wise, tactful, polite and nice while the other group get to slag off whomsoever they please and behave however it takes their fancy, then being polite and diplomatic = subservient. And is no fun either.
If you think the only ways to slag off other people or misbehave is to mock and act arrogantly, you must be incredibily socially inexperienced.

So you believe trusting people to be at least remotely honest is not common sense. You should probably get that looked at.
So you believe that everyone you meet on the internet is precisely who and what they claim to be? That's incredibly nieve, and you should probably get that looked out.

It's hardly Eral's fault that you haven't met any women.
I knew someone would try to use that argument, but sadly for you I happen to have several female friends, not to mention the fact I've lived with close to 20 female flatmates over the years.  I'd supply photos for evidence, but since believing anything anyone else tells you without question is apparently part of common sense, there seems no need.

As for your logic. "I've only ever seen men talk like that, thus only men can talk like that."

YOU FAIL AT LOGIC + PHILOSIPHY. Seriously. Stupidest. Argument. Ever.
AND YOU FAIL AT READING, LOGIC, PHILOSOPHY (only one 'i' BTW) AND DEBATING  Pretending the other person said something which he didn't is not a good arguing tactic, however much politicians might wish it were.  If you would care to go back and read my earlier posts as I actually wrote them and not as you seem to have pretended I wrote them, you'll note I merely used the fact that I've never seen women write like that as reason for thinking Eral might be a man, because women tend not to act like that; not once did I say that women are physically/mentally/emotionally incapable of writing like that.

So...we're not allowed to agree with the Administration?
Oh you're allowed to (as my posts in this very thread demonstrate), but they'd much prefer it if you didn't.

Despite the fact that they very rarely moderate anything. (certainly not in EFCB anyhow, which is my main haunt. I'm here for the people!)
Depends entirely on how you define moderation.  I'd personally call getting several moderators to taunt, deride and be downright hostile to people who express differing points of view to those of certain members of staff to be a form of moderation, but I understand that some people (mostly those who engage in the activity) do not.

Or maybe we're not allowed to be friends with the administration? Is that it? Is poor little Nightmare feeling lonely and wants to share the misery around? Aww.
As I said in reply to Eral, I've come out with enough in this thread for you to take issue with already, that inventing extra things I've said is completely unneccessary.

oh now, be fair,Vel.  He was saying he hadn't met any women who can write. ;D
Hold on, are you saying that it's impossible for any woman to write without doing so it a mocking and arrogant manner? If so... wow.  Just... wow.

This is a very, very silly accusation.
It's only silly if it's untrue.  I'm fairly confident it isn't.

Eral has never hesitated to express herself, whether she agrees of disagrees with a person. She's no shrinking violet or anyone's minion. It's part of her charm.
Replace "Eral" with "SimDing0", "Ghreyfain", "Icelus", etc and you still have an accurate description.  Apart from the not being anyone's minion part, obviously.

For crying out loud, Eral has her photo in our PPG album. She's voiced two female roles and sung in the Keto mod.
In another gaming community I'm a member of, so far no less than five* people who've claimed to be women have eventually either admitted to being a man or been exposed (if you'll pardon the phrase) as one.  And yes, some of them had posted photos which they claim to be of themselves; taking a picture of a friend, relative or girl you're stalking and claiming that it's you isn't exactly hard.  Neither is persuading a women you know to do some voice acting, and then telling other people you did it.

Statistically speaking, the chances that not even a single member of the IE community who claims to be female is lying are so low as to be practically non-existant.  The most reliable method to tell is behavioural observation, since men do tend to act in certain ways that women usually don't, and visa versa.  Note that I am *not* saying things men tend to do are superior to those women tend to do, I am merely pointing out that they are different - much as noting that white people can have a wide variety of natural hair colours, and black people tend to be natural brunettes is in no way, shape or form racist.  The goal of equality should be to celebrate rather than berate our differences, not pretend they don't even exist.

* Five might not sound that many, but then not many women are members of that community - unless of course there are lots of women pretending to be men.

Casting doubts is one thing. Willfully being an ignorant buffoon under the delusion that it's clever is apparently your recurring role here.
Like I said, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em".  Or to put it in a couple of different ways, "it's time to fight fire with fire", "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth", etc.

That's sort of the thing.  Once in a while I enjoy a good argument.  Not to say that this past round has been terribly good.
Of course - you guys absolutely adore launching scathing attacks, but can't stand it if someone directs one at you.  I'm admittedly quite suprised about that, since Sim has invited me to post my criticisms of moderation here at PPG more than once.  I guess we must disagree on what is and isn't moderation.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 05:50:14 AM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2005, 05:34:09 AM »
Of course - you guys absolutely adore launching scathing attacks, but can't stand it if someone directs one at you.
As a few people occasionally note, our "scathing attacks" tend to be backed up by valid points (which are sometimes presented in such a way that everybody finds us to be really big meanies). Your, um, attack seems to be backed up by a load of nonsense-- you're actually recycling arguments made by *Neil*.

I'm admittedly quite suprised about that, since Sim has invited me to post my criticisms of moderation here at PPG more than once.
Yes, I have a confession to make. When I invited you to do so, I simply wasn't prepared to mount a defence of the gender of forum members. I'm also wholly defenceless against the string of random accusations about house rules, why I want people to mindlessly obey me, and whether I myself enjoy free thought or not. If you'd accused me of stealing Seifer's doormat, I'd similarly have had no real defence beyond "...no." Thus, I fear I am sorely beaten.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 05:38:24 AM by SimDing0™ »

Offline Kismet

• Devil's Minion #5
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Veni; Vidi; Velcro.
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2005, 05:54:18 AM »
Of course - you guys absolutely adore launching scathing attacks, but can't stand it if someone directs one at you.
As a few people occasionally note, our "scathing attacks" tend to be backed up by valid points (which are sometimes presented in such a way that everybody finds us to be really big meanies). Your, um, attack seems to be backed up by a load of nonsense-- you're actually recycling arguments made by *Neil*.

Come on Sim, get a grip.  Haven't you learned by now that you can't trust anything anybody says on the internet.  NiGHTMARE is obviously not NiGHTMARE, just someone clevery disguised as NiGHTMARE.  My guess is that he's actually MPrilla.  Soon he'll want to sue us all for defamation of character and then, THEN we''ll know!

I'm admittedly quite suprised about that, since Sim has invited me to post my criticisms of moderation here at PPG more than once.
Yes, I have a confession to make. When I invited you to do so, I simply wasn't prepared to mount a defence of the gender of forum members. I'm also wholly defenceless against the string of random accusations about house rules, why I want people to mindlessly obey me, and whether I myself enjoy free thought or not. If you'd accused me of stealing Seifer's doormat, I'd similarly have had no real defence beyond "...no." Thus, I fear I am sorely beaten.

That's because I stole Seifer's doormat and you can't proove that I didn't.  Any doormat still in front of his door is obviously a clever imitation of the real thing.

Edit: this auto fill-in the quote tag is really frigging annoying.
Cailean - An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!  Guaranteed more fun than shampooing cats!

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2005, 05:56:35 AM »

Well, what reason would someone have for repeatedly kicking up a major fuss after their "suggestions" were rejected, other than because they really do not like the fact their "suggestions" were rejected?

I'm afraid I'm not sure how making out that the entire ShS staff edit and delete posts willy-nilly when the number of us who've engaged in such activities can be counted on the fingers of one hand, and even they have only done it on a tiny number of occassions could be described as anything other than "nonsense".... and this is far from the only example of criticisms of ShS moderation policy made by PPG staff which don't actually reflect reality.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 05:59:55 AM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2005, 06:07:14 AM »
Okay, I'll assess your issues. Once and once only. This will be the last serious post from me, because I'm certain everything you respond from now on will just be the same lame-ass arguments recycled again and again.

- "PPG intentionally gang up and insult people who disagree with them."  No more so than people on Studios do the same. Perhaps, just perhaps, it could be something to do with people with the same persuasions congregating together, and not some grand conspiracy?
- "Your opinions are opinions."  Thanks for the reminder.
- "Only PPG staffmembers may act pretentiously."  No, you've been getting away with it for the last three pages.
- "PPG go to other sites because they like stirring up trouble."  No. See our contributions on G3, for example.
- "You want everyone to agree with you and obey you."  No. Sorry you got that impression.
- "PPG are mindless drones of JCompton."  No. Dumb.
- "You think everything you say is fact."  No.
- "That's not a woman, that's a man!"  Uhhh.

I think that coveres everything. My subsequent replies will not be taking you at all seriously.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2005, 06:09:57 AM »
Oh, also, is your stance on Eral's gender a ShS staff policy or a personal view?

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2005, 06:12:25 AM »
I'm certain everything you respond from now on will just be the same lame-ass arguments recycled again and again.
Remember back on page 2 where I said that I'm trying to make you see things from the receiving end of the crap you fling out? Seems I just achieved my goal.

"Your opinions are opinions."  Thanks for the reminder.
Could I also persuade you that your opinions are no more important than anyone else's?

"Only PPG staffmembers may act pretentiously."  No, you've been getting away with it for the last three pages.
You've forgotten my belief that mocking and insulting people who disagree with you is an aspect of moderation.  If you see things from that perspective, I certainly haven't been "getting away with it".

"PPG go to other sites because they like stirring up trouble."  No. See our contributions on G3, for example.
Umm, what? Not one of my arguments, I'm afraid.

"You want everyone to agree with you and obey you."  No. Sorry you got that impression.
So why do you insist on telling the ShS staff what they should and shouldn't do, even when they've made it clear they disagree? Again, and again, and again...

"PPG are mindless drones of JCompton."  No. Dumb.
Hey, I never said you were mindless.

"You think everything you say is fact."  No.
Why act like it is, then?

"That's not a woman, that's a man!"  Uhhh.
Well, do you believe that everyone on the internet who claims to be a woman really is? Or indeed that everyone on the internet who claims to a man really is?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 06:21:58 AM by NiGHTMARE »

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2005, 06:21:01 AM »
Oh, I wrote a funny reply and then you edited your entire post. I won't bother then.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2005, 06:22:23 AM »
There's a difference between editing and adding to.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2005, 06:27:54 AM »
Would you say the difference is singular or plural?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: SHS is down. Will we be next???
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2005, 06:53:55 AM »
PPG staff also never publically disagree with each other (and certainly not with the master!)

I will point out that there certainly are differences of opinion... Sim and I have had lots of discussions about why my/his ideas suck, and how to make them better. There's also been a fair few discussions in chat where we've been arguing various things from different sides (often SHS-related, actually, as a result of 'controversial' threads or posts). I think to suggest we are a united front is untrue (maybe it appears that way to an outsider, I don't know).

I won't comment much on the rest of the thread; perhaps it is just me but I don't see how people get so aggravated over these things. I get lost in all the politics...

Sim: NiGHT said there's a difference so I would guess singular. Question answered, so hopefully the remark won't provoke another page of quote-fest arguments. :P

And finally, here's a smilie for people to insert wherever they feel is most appropriate for my post: :) I'm not trying to be condescending, in case that's what anyone is reading.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline CORVIS TERRIBLE MOUNTAIN GOD

• Planewalker
  • Things Fall Apart
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2005, 01:44:18 PM »
He totally stole my kitten bit.  I'm pretty sure.  Not that it's very original to begin with, but anyways.

Ghrey has never kittened anything in his life. He's just bitter and full of lies because his Ass Manor was demolished.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2005, 05:00:07 PM »
We love Bons!  :)
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2005, 05:23:58 PM »
Something else I must comment on. England is where you are from right Nightmare? The woman over there are week and subservient, afraid to speak their mind? Well here in the States we say what we want, any way we want to. I speak my mind and never been afraid to do so.

Having older brothers taught me you can take it laying down or you can stand up and dish it right back at them.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 05:27:27 PM by Blood Raven »

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2005, 05:28:05 PM »
Unless you honestly think the only way to speak your mind is in an arrogant and/or mocking manner (in which case you're utterly incorrect), can you please stop claiming I said things which I did not? As I noted earlier, debating points the other person didn't even make isn't a particularly intelligent or respectable way to debate. Thank you.

Also, how you could come to the conclusion that me saying women tend to be more intelligent than men equates to me thinking women should be weak and subservient is utterly beyond me, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 05:34:29 PM by NiGHTMARE »

Offline Rabain

• Planewalker
  • Luck o' the Irish!
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2005, 06:43:04 PM »
I thought I'd point out two things after reading Sim's reply to SConrad's post in the other thread which seems to be causing NIGHTMARE some problems.

1.  The plural of you is you.  If I say "I wouldn't if I were you" I could be saying "If I were you (and only you)" or I could be saying "If I were you (you all)", the you is not necessarily directed at one person just because of the preceeding I.  That's grammar and that's just the way it is.

2.  Besides that it doesn't necesarily appear that Sim is assuming SConrad is replying to him.  What it could look like is that SConrad has made a statement about editing of posts at SHS and Sim has questioned if that applies to his posts. Otherwise what you would be assuming is that SConrad has meant his statement to be directed solely for the benefit of JCompton and that anyone else who has been affected by post editing in the past may continue to be affected.

Sim's reply could easily be either meaning but then that's semantics right?
Touchstone: Wild Elf Fighter
BG2CPM: Dialog Portraits for Everyone!
WTPFamiliars: A new version of the Find Familiar Spell
All at: Border Kingdoms

Offline Exodus

• 1 half of the omg we are teh funy team
  • Planewalker
  • Redhead
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2005, 07:12:19 PM »
Something else I must comment on. England is where you are from right Nightmare? The woman over there are week and subservient, afraid to speak their mind? Well here in the States we say what we want, any way we want to. I speak my mind and never been afraid to do so.

Having older brothers taught me you can take it laying down or you can stand up and dish it right back at them.

Err, wtf?
All carpets are blue.  All American's are inbred rednecks. 

Pointless comments?  All untrue as well?  Pretty much.

I don't see a point in either the supposed put down of English chicks, the elevation of American ones to an inherent higher plane, the sweeping generalisation of both such groupings or the subjective defensive orientation offered in this post.

Totally out of context with the rest of the thread I think.
Public Warning - Seifer is one half of the crack elite team recognised by JC as the "omg we are teh funy" team!  You have been warned!

http://www.omgwearetehfuny.net

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2005, 07:29:49 PM »
Seifer my sweet, if you read his posts you get the impression that he thinks woman are not suppose to be arrogant, condenscending, confrontational, etc cet. My impression of what he thinks woman should are nice, obediant and subservient and shouldn't speak what's on their mind.

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2005, 07:37:37 PM »
He's just bitter and full of lies because his Ass Manor was demolished.

Ass Manor?

There's a difference between editing and adding to.

Are you the reason we momentarily lost our modify button? >:( (Translate the angry smillie into a suspiciously glaring smillie. As I have mentioned before PPG is pathetically lacking in the emoticon department)

Err, wtf?
All carpets are blue. All American's are inbred rednecks.

Pointless comments? All untrue as well? Pretty much.

I don't see a point in either the supposed put down of English chicks, the elevation of American ones to an inherent higher plane, the sweeping generalisation of both such groupings or the subjective defensive orientation offered in this post.

Totally out of context with the rest of the thread I think.

Funny, I found BR's post to be just as on topic as the many posts explaining why Eral could be a liar, is also, in Nightmare's view, inordinately fond of the PPG staff (Although she does seem to be fond of Ghrey for some reason. ???) and that arrogant and mocking posts are more likely to be made by men rather than women (gasps for air) because women are better than men and would'nt ever be arrogant or mocking and to prove his point, Nightmare has claimed (?) that he has had over twenty flatmates (which seems like an awful lot for someone so young) who were all females, so he knoweth what he is talking about, and because Ice made a sardonic remark about his use of smillies, Nightmare no longer uses smillies and then of course there was the ppg administrators (the guys not the ladies) are a bunch of smart asses who go out of their way to be snarky to people.

Yeah, I would call BR's post on-topic.

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2005, 07:47:46 PM »
Oh, what grand fun this is.

As a semi-impartial observer with no real ties to any community, I'll say that I like the PPG method of moderation best.  They occasionally move a topic to a more appropriate place (which, in a perfect world, is the type of minor-but-appropriate thing we should need moderators for), but I've seen far more locked threads, edited content, BANED users, etc. on other forums.

Moderation style is personal preference, just as many other things. Also, method of moderation is also depending on how (and how often) problems appear on the board. In this aspect, SHS and PPG are quite different. I mean, sure, I could start making fun of every troubling situation we have over on SHS, but since we normally sees more frequent shitstirrers and crap than PPG does, I believe my time on the boards would be filled with it. And I'm not quite sure that's how I want it. I'd like to get these situations over and done with, so that I can turn my focus onto more interesting things instead.

Now, as for why SHS sees more shitstirring that PPG, I'm sure there's an explanation somewhere. It's one of these things that can be debated for eons, but I won't go into it, since my mind already is firmly set on the subject. I won't insinuate anything, but I'll encourage everyone to take a look at the most frequent names related to shitstirring over on SHS, and then compare it to the PPG staff roster.

[Y]ou're actually recycling arguments made by *Neil*.

To his defence, though, NiGHTMARE does know how to spell. That, in itself, should be a vast improvement.

I thought I'd point out two things after reading Sim's reply to SConrad's post in the other thread which seems to be causing NIGHTMARE some problems.

1.  The plural of you is you.  If I say "I wouldn't if I were you" I could be saying "If I were you (and only you)" or I could be saying "If I were you (you all)", the you is not necessarily directed at one person just because of the preceeding I.  That's grammar and that's just the way it is.

2.  Besides that it doesn't necesarily appear that Sim is assuming SConrad is replying to him.  What it could look like is that SConrad has made a statement about editing of posts at SHS and Sim has questioned if that applies to his posts. Otherwise what you would be assuming is that SConrad has meant his statement to be directed solely for the benefit of JCompton and that anyone else who has been affected by post editing in the past may continue to be affected.

Sim's reply could easily be either meaning but then that's semantics right?

Since my little post seems to have stirred this entire topic, I thought it might be nice to clear out the misconceptions:

We were talking about mod announcements, and I told jcompton that I wouldn't worry about having his mod announcements in the imported RSS feed being edited. I was speaking only to jcompton at that time. The sentence can not be applied to SimDing0, since as far as I know, he doesn't have the permission to post announcements in the IE Modding News feed.

As for everyone else and everywhere else on the forum, well, I won't guarantee anything. It all depends on each individual. Play nice and you'll have no difficulties getting your message across. Be an idiot, and be prepared on me not wanting to waste time on witty replies.
sconrad.net

jcompton: "When did the switch flip in your brain that made this make sense to you?"

Spellhold Studios - Where the switch flipped in our brains that made things make sense!

TheGame

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2005, 07:59:25 PM »
Oh, what grand fun this is.

Now, as for why SHS sees more shitstirring that PPG,

That's because it's called Sh!t Hole Studios. Get a clue kid.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2005, 11:12:35 PM »
Yes, please don't do the "we wuv oo" thing. Ego-stroking is for the weak. I have a mean and bitchy reputation to develop. Plus, vomiting pirates < non-vomiting pirates.

It's time that we stop all this fussin' and a'feudin' and remember our roots. We're all here for the same reason, people! And I think we all know what that is:

KITTENS!!!

Awwwwww!

Dammit, Corvis! How am I supposed to be mean and bitchy if you use the Kitten Defense?!?! You are undermining my hate. I hope you're happy with yourself.

Remember back on page 2 where I said that I'm trying to make you see things from the receiving end of the crap you fling out? Seems I just achieved my goal.

What did you say on page 2? I must have blanked it out. Oh, here we go:

Perhaps I'm tired of the crap certain members of this forum's staff keeping flinging out, and am trying to make them see things from the perspective of those people who're on the receiving end? Is "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" a good example of common sense?

You dislike the behavior of some of the staff members. Your solution is to mirror your interpretation of their erroneous ways to teach them a lesson. No, that isn't common sense. That's making yourself part of the alleged problem. That is enthusiastically contributing to it. It's like noticing that people are dumping toxic waste into a river, saying "That's bad!", then grabbing your own barrel of toxic waste to pour in after them because poisoning the enviroment twice as quickly will be sure to teach them a lesson!

If antagonisizing other people is wrong, it does not suddenly become right because of your motivation or end goal. Of course, it's not the first time someone's used a Utilitarian argument to justify something, a philosophy I have little use for outside of Star Trek movies. Rather than "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em," I believe in the common sense of another old saying: "Two wrongs don't make a right."

We are all wrong for partaking in these threads, and that emphatically includes the hapless, crusading Nightmare.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"