Author Topic: The Nightmare Semantics Analysis Challenge  (Read 25399 times)

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
Re: SHS is down. Will we be next???
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2005, 08:19:26 PM »
No.

As you like it, though I do feel the need to point out that "this site will be moderated in accordance with our personal view of what should and should not be common sense" is actually a rule.

EDIT: oh, and so is "if NiGHTMARE uses smilies, he's acting pretentiously".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:21:18 PM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2005, 08:22:39 PM »
You must excuse me, since I'm currently writing up a grand finale of a reply. I may or may not post it tomorrow morning depending on whether my associates think it's a good idea.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2005, 08:23:16 PM »
BTW, why isn't Eral a member of staff already? He/she/it certainly acts like one.
Oh, the ultimate insult. My gender has been questioned. Nightmaresweetums, see that little pink symbol under my name, the stick figure with no legs? It's a hint. I am grateful for you for raising this point, however, because it occurs to me we do not have a symbol for hermaphrodite/gender neutral people, and this is clearly an injustice. Perhaps we could declare a Gender Neutral day and assign everyone the same symbol. Equality for all.

Umm, I am a bit confused bt your reference to me/staff member. I need to be a staff member before I post? I cannot enter discussions with you unless I am a staff member? Or you prefer to be teased only by people with Blue Stars?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:25:27 PM by Eral »
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2005, 08:27:22 PM »
Come now, common sense, remember? Believing without a shadow of the doubt that if someone on the internet claims to be female, they actually are is most certainly *not* a great example of common sense.  Also, since I've never met any women who write in the mocking-and-ever-so-slightly-arrogant tone you enjoy using so much, but have known plenty of men who  do so, that gives me all the more reason.

The staff member thing is because whenever someone even comes close to insulting the honour of a PPG staff member, others tend to come leaping to defence with insults and mockery within the hour, usually sooner - which you've done at least a couple of times now, even if you perhaps don't realize it.  PPG staff also never publically disagree with each other (and certainly not with the master!), and indeed I've yet to see you disagree with anything any PPG staffmember has ever said.  If you think that's because they're never wrong, that's all the more reason why you should join their ranks!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:32:30 PM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005, 08:31:25 PM »
And now explain why I have to be a staff member.

I am tingling with anticipation. It might be even better than "Women are not smart so you must be a man or gender-indeterminate."
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2005, 08:34:29 PM »
And now explain why I have to be a staff member.
Why should I explain something I never said? I merely asked why you haven't been invited yet, I never said that you *have* to be one.

It might be even better than "Women are not smart so you must be a man or gender-indeterminate."[/sub]
If you think acting in a mocking and arrogant manner is a smart thing to do, then you most certainly aren't.  Women tend to be better than that (well, a lot of women I know do like the mocking part, but arrogance not so much).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:36:02 PM by NiGHTMARE »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005, 08:35:01 PM »
I've never met any women who write in the mocking-and-ever-so-slightly-arrogant tone you enjoy using so much
I think you've just been reading your own posts.

Or, I know some women I should introduce you to.  Arrogance knows no gender barrier.  
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005, 08:36:00 PM »
Come now, common sense, remember? Believing without a shadow of the doubt that if someone on the internet claims to be female, they actually are is most certainly *not* a great example of common sense.  Also, since I've never met any women who write in the mocking-and-ever-so-slightly-arrogant tone you enjoy using so much, but have known plenty of men who  do so, that gives me all the more reason.
Seriously, what the fuck is this bullshit? Posting things like this, you're wondering why half the forum ends up making fun of you?

I don't understand it. At one point, I found you to produce challenging arguments which I had to carefully consider. You're now a total joke. What happened?

PPG staff also never publically disagree with each other
Clearly you missed the thread recently where I firmly disagreed with JC's assertion that modding mods can be taken in the same perspective as modding the game itself. I presume you were too busy thinking how mean we were for coming to ShS and posting our opinions.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2005, 08:36:19 PM »
Also, since I've never met any women who write in the mocking-and-ever-so-slightly-arrogant tone you enjoy using so much, but have known plenty of men who  do so, that gives me all the more reason.
Oh so woman can not write/speak like this? It's a male thing only? You live in the 21st century were woman are able to voice their opinion however they chose.

I know, we need to revert back to being subservient and obidient right?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:38:12 PM by Blood Raven »
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2005, 08:37:07 PM »
Seriously, what the fuck is this bullshit? Posting things like this, you're wondering why half the forum ends up making fun of you?

I don't understand it. At one point, I found you to produce challenging arguments which I had to carefully consider. You're now a total joke. What happened?

Sim, that all sums up my feelings regarding your recent behaviour perfectly.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2005, 08:39:19 PM »
Sim, that all sums up my feelings regarding your recent behaviour perfectly.
But it doesn't answer my question. Why are you now ejaculating confronational nonsense into random threads rather than ejaculating moral perspectives into the Virtue forum?

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2005, 08:43:50 PM »
Oh so woman can not write/speak like this? It's a male thing only? You live in the 21st century were woman are able to voice their opinion however they chose.

Just because you could act in a certain way if you wanted to, doesn't mean you actually do.  I mean, uou could run out into the street shouting "I'm an alien!" right this second if you wanted to, but I have a feeling you won't.  I also believe it was pretty obvious with the subsequent "acting in an arrogant and mocking manner isn't smart" thing that while women could chose to act like that, they tend to be beyond it - i.e. women are better than men.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:49:17 PM by NiGHTMARE »

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2005, 08:46:55 PM »
But it doesn't answer my question. Why are you now ejaculating confronational nonsense into random threads rather than ejaculating moral perspectives into the Virtue forum?
Perhaps I'm tired of the crap certain members of this forum's staff keeping flinging out, and am trying to make them see things from the perspective of those people who're on the receiving end? Is "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" a good example of common sense?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:51:35 PM by NiGHTMARE »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2005, 08:51:35 PM »
I also believe it was pretty obvious with the subsequent "acting in an arrogant and mocking manner isn't smart" thing that while women could chose to act like that, they tend to be beyond it
choose

Offline Imrahil

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2005, 09:25:30 PM »
Quote from: NiGHTMARE
Perhaps I'm tired of the crap certain members of this forum's staff keeping flinging out, and am trying to make them see things from the perspective of those people who're on the receiving end? Is "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" a good example of common sense?
As a semi-impartial observer with no real ties to any community, I'll say that I like the PPG method of moderation best.  They occasionally move a topic to a more appropriate place (which, in a perfect world, is the type of minor-but-appropriate thing we should need moderators for), but I've seen far more locked threads, edited content, BANED users, etc. on other forums.

Quote from: Blood Raven
Welcome back to the land of the living, BR.  I find you much more entertaining as a wannabe vampire shit-stirrer than a sullen attention seeker (or a walking smiley generator, I must admit).

Quote from: Eral
Nightmaresweetums, see that little pink symbol under my name, the stick figure with no legs? It's a hint.
Now, now, Eral.  You wouldn't be indulging in a little... condescension, would you?!?

- Imrahil

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2005, 09:29:59 PM »
He did call me an it, Imrahil. I was provoked. But at least I wasn't aggressive.

Oxford Dictionary : "arrogant - aggressively assertive or presumptuous, overbearing".
Moi?  :o Never. That would be bad manners. My posts are witty and erudite. Or fluffy and annoying. Depending on whether you are Regullus or Ghreyfain.

I also believe it was pretty obvious with the subsequent "acting in an arrogant and mocking manner isn't smart" thing that while women could chose to act like that, they tend to be beyond it - i.e. women are better than men.
If we apply Feminist Deconstruction to this statement, it could appear that the speaker does in fact believe that when a woman disagrees with a man she is behaving in a very unseemly and unwomanly way. So yep, BR.
Does this mean that if I was a man, it would be alright to disagree with you?

I am not quite sure how defending the English language to the death and calling me "it" achieves this end. Still, I accept your gracious apology.

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2005, 09:35:32 PM »

Being polite, diplomatic, wise, tactful, and (oh, horror!) nice, does not equate being subservient or obedient. (shrug)
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2005, 09:38:49 PM »
Still, I accept your gracious apology.
I think we're reading different threads or something.

Or... OMG SARCASM!  <3!!!  :D

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2005, 09:54:53 PM »
Being polite, diplomatic, wise, tactful, and (oh, horror!) nice, does not equate being subservient or obedient. (shrug)
Only if the rules are the same for everyone. If one group is expected to be wise, tactful, polite and nice while the other group get to slag off whomsoever they please and behave however it takes their fancy, then being polite and diplomatic = subservient. And is no fun either.

Being sarcastic would be Unwomanly, icelus. Would you consider editing that to "How delightfully playful!" ?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 09:58:02 PM by Eral »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2005, 10:23:31 PM »
No way.  Sarcastic women are hawt.  :) 

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2005, 11:04:01 PM »
Come now, common sense, remember? Believing without a shadow of the doubt that if someone on the internet claims to be female, they actually are is most certainly *not* a great example of common sense.
So you believe trusting people to be at least remotely honest is not common sense. You should probably get that looked at.
  Also, since I've never met any women who write in the mocking-and-ever-so-slightly-arrogant tone you enjoy using so much, but have known plenty of men who  do so, that gives me all the more reason.
It's hardly Eral's fault that you haven't met any women.
As for your logic. "I've only ever seen men talk like that, thus only men can talk like that."
YOU FAIL AT LOGIC + PHILOSIPHY. Seriously. Stupidest. Argument. Ever.

The staff member thing is because whenever someone even comes close to insulting the honour of a PPG staff member, others tend to come leaping to defence with insults and mockery within the hour, usually sooner - which you've done at least a couple of times now, even if you perhaps don't realize it.  PPG staff also never publically disagree with each other (and certainly not with the master!), and indeed I've yet to see you disagree with anything any PPG staffmember has ever said.  If you think that's because they're never wrong, that's all the more reason why you should join their ranks!
So...we're not allowed to agree with the Administration? Despite the fact that they very rarely moderate anything. (certainly not in EFCB anyhow, which is my main haunt. I'm here for the people!) Or maybe we're not allowed to be friends with the administration? Is that it? Is poor little Nightmare feeling lonely and wants to share the misery around? Aww.

(I was tempted to leave it without the condescending bits. But they were the most fun to write!
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2005, 11:39:06 PM »
Also, since I've never met any women who write in the mocking-and-ever-so-slightly-arrogant tone you enjoy using so much, but have known plenty of men who do so, that gives me all the more reason.
It's hardly Eral's fault that you haven't met any women.

oh now, be fair,Vel.  He was saying he hadn't met any women who can write. ;D

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2005, 12:33:00 AM »
...and indeed I've yet to see you disagree with anything any PPG staffmember has ever said.  If you think that's because they're never wrong, that's all the more reason why you should join their ranks!

This is a very, very silly accusation. Eral has never hesitated to express herself, whether she agrees of disagrees with a person. She's no shrinking violet or anyone's minion. It's part of her charm. 

PPG staff also never publically disagree with each other (and certainly not with the master!),

[manly sarcasm]Because public disagreements such as this thread and the profuse examples at Studios are SO very productive! [/manly sarcasm] Sorry, but I tend to prefer complaining privately when I'm seriously unhappy about something.

But let's try it your way. I'm fed up. I find your posts boring, arrogant and often idiotic, NiGHTMARE. The only benefit to your posting is when you contribute foolish misapprehensions based off of faulty logic or a weak attempt to insult someone as evidenced by tonight's thread entries. For crying out loud, Eral has her photo in our PPG album. She's voiced two female roles and sung in the Keto mod. Casting doubts is one thing. Willfully being an ignorant buffoon under the delusion that it's clever is apparently your recurring role here.

I had my account removed at Studios because I was tired of reading this kind of bullshit bickering over and over among a small subset of people, mainly Studios moderators versus PPG staff. Now we're getting a new thread of the whine-whine, bitch, moan, snark, lecture-lecture hamster wheel at PPG every week. It's pointless. It's exasperating. I'm exasperated, I'm wasting my time with it, and I don't want to be somewhere where I have to constantly put up with it. Unfortunately, PPG staff doesn't ban, edit or delete the posts of its members for the sake of their personal preferences. Unfortunatley, people are allowed to be vocal and opinionated here, even when we're sick of seeing certain names, even when people are motivated by grudges, or even when they're infantilely guesting-by-proxy. Unfortunately, my alternatives are limited. I either put up with the regugitation of how mean and horrible the PPG cadre is, the retread of who was banned, deleted or edited, and the other miscellaneous legends that will not die, or I get out. It's a disappointing Catch-22.

But enough of my public complaints. Have fun with the tired arguments and the fresh absurdities. You do it so well.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline CORVIS TERRIBLE MOUNTAIN GOD

• Planewalker
  • Things Fall Apart
Re: The Nightmare Semantics Analysis Challenge
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2005, 01:04:32 AM »
People, people. Settle down. We can trade accusations and call each other pretentious all day long, and what will it solve? What will it change? Nothing. PPG? SHS? What are these but labels? It's time that we stop all this fussin' and a'feudin' and remember our roots. We're all here for the same reason, people! And I think we all know what that is:

(http://z1.pixhosting.com/defimages/kittens.com.jpg)

KITTENS!!!

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
Re: The Nightmare Semantics Analysis Challenge
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2005, 01:32:28 AM »
Now I feel bad. I could have just ignored him. But I didn't. I actively engaged in banter, selfishly allowing my enjoyment of a good stoush to over-ride the greater good that comes that comes from ignoring silly statements.  Feeding trolls again. I hang my head in shame.

I hereby pledge to resist the urge in future. Really hard. Honest. DON"T LEAVE US, BONS! YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED SURAYAH!  :'(

Is there any way we could set up a filter for Bons? Sort of like NetNanny.  

Corvis, you are the funniest man in Cyberspace.