Author Topic: Banter Pack V4 Released!  (Read 10767 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Banter Pack V4 Released!
« on: April 06, 2004, 08:09:37 PM »
I am pleased to announce the fourth release of the Banter Packs for Baldur's Gate 2, the first at its new PPG home.

It's no secret that one of the most popular, enduring elements of Baldur's Gate 2 is the inter-party dialogue, or "banter", that crops up from time to time, making the characters and gameworld seem more alive.

The Banter Packs add several new banters, representing hundreds of new lines of dialogue, to BG2. No special intervention is required on the part of the player... just go about your business and enjoy the new scenarios as they appear.

Release 4 adds another dozen new dialogues, bringing the package just shy of 50 new conversations. Making their debut this time are Imoen commentaries about Edwina (accounting both for the possibility that she missed the fun, or that she is present during the "crisis"), a Minsc/Lilarcor/Keldorn banter, a talk between Cernd and the PC about death and destruction, a confrontation between Aerie, Anomen, and Sarevok, and a friendly battle of linguistics and wits between Nalia and Yoshimo.

Download the Banter Packs from http://www.pocketplane.net/banter . We hope you enjoy.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
Re: Banter Pack V4 Released!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 11:08:39 PM »
This is probably an obvious question--but I'll ask anyway  ;)

Does installing Banterpack four mean uninstalling Banter 3?  Does it also mean uninstalling Kelsey & other mods & then installing them again after 4?

Looking forward to more banter, in any case  :)

Stop by my blog over at Bookwyrme's Lair, my collection of reviews, pictures, and general ramblings. I also review comics and books over at FanboyNation.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 11:33:04 PM »
Any time a WeiDU mod is updated, the usual procedure is to start the install as though you were installing it for the first time, but select "Reinstall" when you are presented with the option. WeiDU will automatically strip out Banter V3 and any other mods that are "in the way", then put them back when it's finished.

Note that if you already have Kelsey installed you may have installed the banter accelerators already, so selecting them again will result in an error and then you'll e-mail me the debug file and I'll tell you that it's because it was already installed and not to do that. :)
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Shodan

• Goddess Of A.I.
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 12:13:39 AM »
Banterpack V4 uploaded and ready at Page 1

Great work guys. :-)
"Loo-loo-look at you hacker; a p-pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, (panting) panting and sweating as you ru-run through my corridors. H-h-how can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine"

Offline JPS

• Out of order
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 03:14:09 AM »
And there was much rejoicing.

Now, is there any chance to get it in any other form than the self-extracting .exe? It would make the mac users happy (well, alright, it would make me happy, but it sounds better if I pretend I'm speaking for a whole group here)...
"Attempts to find the gibberlings' lairs have inevitably led back to subterranean passages, where the trail is eventually lost in the deepest rock-floored recesses of the caverns."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 06:16:13 AM »
Thanks!

Runs off happily to install, looking forward to more great banter.
Stop by my blog over at Bookwyrme's Lair, my collection of reviews, pictures, and general ramblings. I also review comics and books over at FanboyNation.

Jarred

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 06:56:47 AM »
I have a question : do I have to install the banterpack before or after any romance mod?

Offline Kismet

• Devil's Minion #5
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Veni; Vidi; Velcro.
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 07:55:31 AM »
They only have to be installed after non-WeiDU type mods.
Cailean - An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!  Guaranteed more fun than shampooing cats!

Jarred

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 09:20:53 AM »
k, thx for the info.  :)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 10:08:30 AM »

Now, is there any chance to get it in any other form than the self-extracting .exe? It would make the mac users happy (well, alright, it would make me happy, but it sounds better if I pretend I'm speaking for a whole group here)...

Heh. Um, I suppose I can see about putting up a zip version soonish. Since there's nothing else fancy going on scripting-wise, I don't need someone to build a Mac-specific installer, but you'll still be on your own for Mac OS X WeiDU.

Offline JPS

• Out of order
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 11:07:08 AM »
Thanks.
"Attempts to find the gibberlings' lairs have inevitably led back to subterranean passages, where the trail is eventually lost in the deepest rock-floored recesses of the caverns."

Offline Scar

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 03:53:47 PM »

Being a Mac head myself, I second that. JPS, you're not alone! ;)

Heh. Um, I suppose I can see about putting up a zip version soonish. Since there's nothing else fancy going on scripting-wise, I don't need someone to build a Mac-specific installer, but you'll still be on your own for Mac OS X WeiDU.

No fancy scripting indeed, but if you could replace any \ with / (for pathnames that is, they're allowed in regexps), it would be much appreciated. And you could even leave out the Weidu.exe, saving a few kB of webspace and bandwidth...
'Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.'
- Solid Jackson, Jingo

Luther

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 11:13:58 AM »
Hi all.  Thanks for the great work on the banter pack.  Is this an appropriate place to submit some technical issues?  I installed many mods in my current game but they are all Weidu mods so I assumed they are compatible.  It seems that after installing the banter pack, many dialogues, NPC names, and custom items get replaced by banters.  For example, all the town criers in Athkatla got their names changed to a banter sentence.  Other characters installed from Weidu mods got their names changed.  Custom mod items got changed to banters so that I can't see the descriptions.  And finally, one specific example is that when I ask Cromwell to search my pack for the quest items, a long series of banters show up as dialogue choices instead of him finding my pieces.   There are others as well but are too numerous to mention.

I will copy my save game and try a fresh install of the game and all mods to see if this clears things up but I thought You might want to know.

-Luther-

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 12:38:14 PM »
That usually means that you installed something that overwrites your dialog.tlk file after you had already installed mods. Did you install TOB or the official Bioware patch after you had installed some mods?

Offline Rathwellin the Bard

• Owl Sage
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 01:58:19 PM »
JC, will you again be providing a list of banters added by the mod ... or at least what was added in v4?
Faith is a candle to reason's sun.
No one needs a candle until the darkness falls....

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 02:37:48 PM »
Mumble, grumble, another reminder of something I forgot to archive.

Many of the dialogues do have situational conditions (in an inn, after exiting the UD, timers expiring, etc.) and they're not marked up as such, so use this as a guideline. Don't just hammer on CTRL+I and if you don't see them all while standing in the Promenade assume that the mod's broken. :)

SOA:

Imoen/Edwina
Imoen/Edwin, if Imoen missed the Edwina Affair
Yoshimo/Nalia
Nalia/Edwina
Nalia/Aerie/Valygar
Minsc/Lilarcor/Keldorn
Edwin/Jaheira/HD
Minsc/Lilarcor/Jaheira
Jaheira/Korgan
Imoen/PC if PC romancing CN Anomen and Anomen's offed a party member (Aerie/Keldorn)
Imoen/CN Anomen if PC romancing CN Anomen who hasn't offed a party member
Imoen/LG Anomen if PC romancing LG Anomen
Imoen/Aerie
Imoen/Jaheira if PC romancing Jaheira
Minsc/Lilarcor/Nalia
Jaheira/Cernd
Edwin/HD
Mazzy/PC, if PC generally an awesomely good guy/gal
Valygar/Keldorn
Yoshimo/Korgan
Nalia/Cernd
Viconia/Edwin (the world's shortest banter!)
Nalia/Edwin
Mazzy/Korgan/Jan
Minsc/Keldorn
HD/CN Anomen
Mazzy/Viconia
Imoen/Jaheira
Valygar/Aerie
Viconia/Aerie
Minsc/Yoshimo/Aerie
Imoen/Minsc
Jan/Valygar (xbow gift)
Jan/PC (bolt invent)
Jan/PC (boot gift)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 02:44:54 PM »
TOB:

Sarevok/Aerie/LG Anomen
Minsc/Imoen/Jaheira
HD/Aerie
Cernd/PC
Edwin/Korgan/PC
Edwin/Sarevok
Viconia/Imoen
Imoen/Viconia if PC romancing Viconia
Imoen/TN Viconia if PC romancing TN Viconia
Imoen/Aerie if PC romancing Aerie
Jaheira/Aerie
Korgan/Anomen
Cernd/Keldorn
Mazzy/LG Anomen/Keldorn

Luther

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 05:03:22 PM »
That usually means that you installed something that overwrites your dialog.tlk file after you had already installed mods. Did you install TOB or the official Bioware patch after you had installed some mods?

The more I think of this, the more I think you're right.  I forgot to install the patch the first time, installed it, then realized that was a bad move.  I uninstalled everything and reinstalled and used my original save game but it didn't help.  I'm thinking that some files in there did not get uninstalled properly.  I'm going to kill everything and start from scratch.  Hopefully my save game will right itself.  (crossing fingers)

Thanks for all your help.

Offline Rathwellin the Bard

• Owl Sage
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2004, 05:06:02 PM »
Mumble, grumble, another reminder of something I forgot to archive.

;) :D

Thanks!
Faith is a candle to reason's sun.
No one needs a candle until the darkness falls....

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004, 05:15:20 PM »
Luther: The very important thing you need to keep in mind when you reinstall is that the process of uninstalling the game doesn't empty the game's "override" directory, which is what you need to get rid of to ensure that any munged mod content is safely disposed of.

When you uninstall the game, manually wipe out the override directory and the weidu.log file. This will ensure that everything goes back to a clean state.

Offline Nesquaam

• MoD (Master of Disaster)
  • Planewalker
  • Per solitudinem ardere
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 10:24:25 AM »
Seriously considering starting a new game to see all the banters in action.
Still in Chapter 2 so it won't be to much of a lost game.
...Smile, Tomorrow Will Be Worse

Offline JPS

• Out of order
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 11:46:50 AM »

I don't want to nag, but...

*nag, nag*

::)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2004, 12:05:28 PM »

Offline JPS

• Out of order
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2004, 01:09:34 PM »
Thank you  :)

Venn

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2004, 06:49:18 PM »
What exactly IS banter accelerator and should I install it?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: