Author Topic: Which beta version is best to try?  (Read 4784 times)

Jeremiah

Which beta version is best to try?
« on: October 06, 2005, 02:32:32 PM »
Hi,

Currently trying out the last release version 35.  Having fun overall in spite of some difficulties.

However, Mae'var is always berserk upon entering his area so the thief's guild quest is broken so I cannot recruit Edwin.

The NPCs including Bernard became hostile when my party tarried to get to the confrontation betwen Hendak and Lehtninan.  Easily circumvented by hurrying.  Also I could not speak to Hendak while he was caged to initiate the Beastmaster quest but it was considered done anyway.

The irritating enemies are Shadows, Wraiths and similar Undead (Neb's child wraiths anyone) that are now scripted to use Mirror Image, Monster Summoning, Cloudkill, Flesh to Stone, Shout and similar spells.  I read they had these as innate abilities in BG2 but were scripted not to use them as these creatures are not supposed to have them.  They are supposed to have stat or energy draining abilities.  Just ctrl+y all their summons helps but they yield very small xp for the amount of effort you need to get rid of them especially as they travel in packs.  Maybe once Aerie reaches high levels as a Morninglord and Eagle's splendor casting?

Funny thing to see one of the githyankis yield over 90,000 xp from Jan's quest.  They were tough though.  Just a bit of cheesy tactics got me through.

Also NPCs disappear and don't appear where they are supposed to.  Nalia left the party due to impatience and she was nowhere to be found at the palisade.  Jan stayed behind and did not reappar after the child in his quest was cured so the cut scene never takes place.  I can only import him back into my party afterwards.

Overall, pretty challenging and fun but was hoping that maybe one of the earlier Betas would make a more tolerable experience? Any suggestions.

Jeremiah

Re: Which beta version is best to try?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 02:37:48 PM »
Forgot to add that the party got stuck in the dream sequences :) .  Good thing the move to area works for going back to Copper Coronet.

As well the golems in d'Arnise are buggy in that they do not become red when attacked but strike back without taking damage.  Only time they really go hostile red is when you plunder a statue.  And funny thing is the other golems ATTACKED the hostile golems LOL.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 05:43:27 PM »
We know about the bugs, but Weimer's been too busy to continue development for a while. :) So playing it is more of a curiosity (or for if someone wants to take up the challenge of fixing issues caused in the conversion) than as an actual playing experience.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Jeremiah

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »
Yeah, I realize that :) .

Just wanted to see if one of the other Beta versions would be better recommended to try as a lark (i.e. the least broken version).  Version 35 has been fun though.

Anybody think the Slavers and Orog encounters in Chapter 2 are pretty hard for a level 4 party LOL?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 03:18:24 AM »
The most recent beta is probably the most stable, yeah.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Jeremiah

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 08:59:25 AM »
Not sure if most stable  ;D .  But definitely v 35 reintroduces bugs from previous versions that Weimer supposedly addressed.

For example, some trolls in druid grove engaging the auto-buff at Almost Dead script to cast mirror image, stoneskin and protection from evil (those 3 engaging the party of two fighters, druid and mage).  And those 3 fighters just outside of the druid grove turns out to have the two of them scripted as mages instead (sort of like the Shadows and other undead LOL).  Plus sometimes the other two attacks the hostile one if you keep the party away and outright kills the hostile elf.

Strange that Ihtafeer gives paltry xp compared to trolls.  I mean those rakshasas cast damaging area effect spells on top of the party without taking any damage LOL.

So wondering which of the earliest versions is the most enjoyable to use.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 11:47:01 AM »
I would say they are mostly equally enjoyable, though if it is enjoyability you are after I would choose a different mod until someone finishes this one. :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: