Author Topic: Suggestion/Request for future versions  (Read 4200 times)

Offline AnnabelleRose

• The chain smoking modder-wannabe
  • Planewalker
  • Not Dead
Suggestion/Request for future versions
« on: September 27, 2005, 06:59:38 AM »
I noticed that you have extended spell progression for bards, and for rangers.

Any chance of having a similiar component for Paladins?
"A good pipe and tobacco will make you a patient philosopher or a philistine depending on how you are bent." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
Re: Suggestion/Request for future versions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 08:11:13 AM »
Possibly, but they won't be so useful as that for Rangers and Bards.

The main reason being, that Paladins, with bonuses and all, typically look to me a lot like *the* most overpowered base class of all the original classes.

Why do I say that?
Can you think of ANY situation, assuming Alignment and Roleplay was not a consideration, where you would pick either a vanilla Fighter or a vanilla Ranger over a vanilla Paladin?

The sad truth is very probably, No, unless you are aiming for 5 proficiency points in a specific weapon, or intending to Dual Class later on.

Paladins get
- same Thac0 as a Fighter
- access to Cleric Spells - despite being able to cast their first spell at a higher level, they can cast these spells at a higher level and number than Rangers can!
- best Saving Throws among all the Classes (to my knowledge)
- ability to Turn Undead
- same HLAs as a Fighter
- arguably the best HLA of a Cleric

in return for
- various stat restrictions that only serve to make rolling stats for them easier
- Alignment/Reputation restrictions
- slightly slower levelling up
- max 2 proficiency slots in any weapon

I shan't even go into the Kits or the various mechanisms (let's see, 50% of all +5 melee weapons in SoA) in BG2 itself that cater for Paladin gameplay.

For this reason (which is probably no more than a personal bias, I'll admit), I very probably won't significantly improve the Spell Progression for the Paladin. For me, I think it is just nice that it stays as it is, Paladins maxing at Cleric level 4 spells, Rangers at Cleric level 7 spells. If I do improve it (ie if the point is being pressed), it will probably go up to level 6 and remain there.

(Yes yes I know :) I did ignore the comparison between Vanilla Ranger and Vanilla Fighter, lol)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 08:27:43 AM by Zyraen »
(http://www.geocities.com/arkevaul/btlbn2.gif)
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, & more

Offline Fantasy

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 10:15:02 AM »
Not the same subject, but it does fit with the topic... can you put in the option to either skip all the installed parts, or all the uninstalled parts? It's not really the end of the world to go through every component every time, but if this collection gets larger it might make things easier. Especially for those of us who need to uninstall the exp cap component before beginning a MP game, and reinstalling it after said game. ::)

Greetings. :)

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 10:40:14 AM »
I'm afraid WeiDU doesn't allow for such a command :( however, if I convert the implementation to being script based, it should work fine.
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Offline Fantasy

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 07:48:54 AM »
Are you sure? I just meant as an option when you run the Setup-Z#Misc.exe, not an in game option. I'm at least quite sure I've seen it somewhere... yes, in the Easy of Use mod. It's not that important though. :)

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 08:26:58 AM »
WeiDU does this automatically if there's more than a certain number of components in a mod.  As far as I know, there's no way to trigger it manually.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 08:36:12 AM »
Yep, that's true.

You could try editing the Z#MISC-SETUP.TP2 and delete the ASK_EVERY_COMPONENT command on the 2nd or 3rd line or so, and see how it goes. For obvious reasons, I wanted the player to select every option, as most of them are unlikely to be all used by one person and all of them can't be installed together (such as the XP Caps, etc)

Offline Fantasy

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 06:46:17 AM »
WeiDU does this automatically if there's more than a certain number of components in a mod.  As far as I know, there's no way to trigger it manually.

Ah I see, I didn't know that. :) I guess that solves the problem then as well, seeing as how it's still doable with this amount and by the time it gets a bit too large, WeiDU solves it. ;D

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 11:13:37 PM »
Well, just wondering, who has tried out this Mod Pack and would like to have the ASK_EVERY_COMPONENT tag removed from the TP2 for future versions ?

Offline Fantasy

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 07:13:39 AM »
I wouldn't. :D

You see the first time you install the mod it's really necessary that it asks about every component, seeing as how some make the game harder and others make it easier. ;) The reason why I had posted the above, was because it would be handy to skip the uninstalled/installed parts *after* you've already installed it for the first time. But like I said: it's not that important and WeiDU will solve it when it becomes important. ;D

Now if you were to create two collections, one for making it harder and the other for making it easier, then it might be worth considering. But even then some components will appeal more than others, and it would still be helpful if you could decide which parts you'll install, and which parts you'll skip. :)

So I think it's best to leave it as it is. :)

Offline AnnabelleRose

• The chain smoking modder-wannabe
  • Planewalker
  • Not Dead
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 01:41:44 PM »
.....I think it's best to leave it as it is. :)

I agree. I hate mods with several compoenents that are "all or nothing".
"A good pipe and tobacco will make you a patient philosopher or a philistine depending on how you are bent." - Ted's Pipe Shop

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: