Author Topic: Area Making for Idiots?  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Forgotten Angel

• Planewalker
Area Making for Idiots?
« on: August 31, 2005, 10:49:21 AM »
Okay, so I'm really not asking that anyone try and teach me the mystical inner workings of Photoshop.  I've got that decently under control.  Basically, I'd just like to know how to pull areas out of the IE games so I can Photoshop them into oblivion.  I've poked around at them with DLTCEP a little, but I *really* don't have any idea what I'm doing with it. 

I've heard that DLTCEP is enough to polish off an area once the basic bitmap is done; is that so?  Does it handle helping make the light, height and search maps as well, or will I need to do those seperately.  The wed file as well..think that's something DLTCEP would handle, but you could barely fill a thimble with my 'knowledge' of area editing with that particular tool.  ;)  Know I'd need to make any door bitmaps separately of course, but from looking over DLTCEP, it *looks* like I can assign them with that. 

Might anyone have some basic pointers, most especially on how to get the basic bitmaps out of the ARE files so I can play with them.

Thanks a million!

Offline Meira

• Planewalker
  • I'm the snow on your lips
    • Amber's Home
Re: Area Making for Idiots?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 12:24:46 PM »
Yovaneth has written area editing tutorials for DLTCEP. I haven't tried them out myself yet but they look very informative.

Area making Basics
Adding Doors
Creating Travel regions
Creating Overlays
Info Points and Proximity Bombs
Setting Ambient Sounds with DLTCEP

Offline Forgotten Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 12:51:57 PM »
Thanks :)  Those definitely help with the scary DLTCEP business, but I'm afraid I'm still managing to miss how to actually pull the basic image files out of the areas for editing on a Photoshop level.  Yes, I'm a complete newbie to area editing.  *blush*  But if I can just get this to work... :)

Offline Forgotten Angel

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 03:46:32 PM »
It appears Infinity Explorer will do what I need.  So many tools that do so many things other than what I've used them for.  And here I'd simply used Infinity Explorer for browsing dialogue trees.  ::)

Offline Sir-Kill

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 06:09:19 AM »
there is the community assets page that has maps to the IE gamse and more look for the area downloads page
http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/~chevar/community.html

there are also some donated tilesets that you can use. and we could always use more donations.

donations for areas and tiles can be droped here
http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=809
Apparently I am invisible

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 09:41:24 AM »
DLTCEP can do the same, actually.
(converting a tileset to bmp, and back).
And Yovaneth added tutorial for it.
This part of the tutorial was researched by Smoketest.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: