Author Topic: Backstabbing with axes  (Read 8033 times)

Offline Resonance

• Poltergeist in residence
  • Planewalker
Backstabbing with axes
« on: August 29, 2005, 08:31:39 AM »
Hi

I'm not sure this is the right place, but I reckon it might be...
Does anyone else with Universal Weapons installed have trouble getting their thieves to backstab with axes? It seems mine simply cannot... If that is just the way it works, and will always work, I'll just have to bite it down...

But for now, I feel as though I may be missing out on a fix of a DnD rule that I always considered to be broken.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
Re: Backstabbing with axes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 09:06:49 AM »
From what I know there's nothing in itm file like "backstabbing" nor any 2da that would govern that... (though I'd be glad should I be proven wrong) so either it should work with all items or its hardcoded... anyway axes are against 2e logic, you want sneak attack not back stabbing, play IWD1&2 ;) (not trying to be malicious)
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Resonance

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:41:09 AM »
I see.
But I take it you haven't tried the same, B?

Import from the SimD tweak pack thread:
Uh. No, the Improved Backstabbing component shouldn't affect which weapons are actually able to backstab. It could be that your thief doesn't have a high enough modifier for backstabbing to actually make any difference with an axe.
(Incidentally, I don't think axes can backstab in vanilla BG2, but you say you have AoE installed, so.)

Hm. In that case, this is probably not the right thread for this subject; but just to round it off:
What happens when he tries to backstab with axes is that he doesn't get to backstab.
He simply gets his attack; wheras his shortsword easily backstabs in the range of 20-30 hits. Strange.

I see that bigg has already found a solution to the actual component problem! :applauds:  :D
(Not that I can make heads or tails of it, but hey!)
Well, 3e sneak attack (available in IWD1&2) assumes that when hitting from the side/behind you can better aim and hit more nevralgic part, 2e backstabbing assumes classic "knife between shoulder blades" (which BTW should kill all humans instead of extra damage) so slashing weapons cannot backstab. 2e approach may seem illogical, hell WOTC backed out of it in 3e, but that's how it was...

my major objection to the 2e rule is that it isn't even consistent, either.
A quarterstaff between the shoulderblades is supposed to accomplish the same as a knife, dagger or shortsword? That is beyond my suspension of disbelief.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 10:47:47 AM by Resonance »

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 11:19:05 AM »
No, I just had a "theoretical" look through files, I don't care that much about Universal Weapons... As for quarterstaff... well one could argue that you could hold it like a spear, but I agree it is highly illogical. To be honest I don't use backstabbing in 2e games, cause it's not worth it...
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Offline Resonance

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 11:54:52 AM »
you may have a point ( :D ) there; but I simply like being able to mount sneaky attacks as a natural continuation of sneaking around, scouting.

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 07:38:58 PM »
The way a weapon in BG2 can backstab is if it's usable by single-class thieves.  Which an axe should be, with AoE.  Strange.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 09:08:54 PM »
anyway axes are against 2e logic, you want sneak attack not back stabbing, play IWD1&2 ;) (not trying to be malicious)
Just IWD2, actually.  IWD1 is good ol' 2E :).
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 12:04:34 AM »
anyway axes are against 2e logic, you want sneak attack not back stabbing, play IWD1&2 ;) (not trying to be malicious)
Just IWD2, actually.  IWD1 is good ol' 2E :).
Nope. It's 2e, fact, but HOW gave you the option (in the external config) to choose between 2e backstabbing and 3e-like sneak attack, possibly backstabbing was pissing a lot people off (who can blame them?)

Offline Resonance

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 02:08:04 AM »
The way a weapon in BG2 can backstab is if it's usable by single-class thieves.  Which an axe should be, with AoE.  Strange.

Ghreyfain, if you, or anyone else for that matter, has managed to backstab with axes in BG2, I'd very much like to hear about it, so that I can go absolutely and certifiably insane, until I somehow discover how it is done...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 02:10:02 AM by Resonance »

Offline Hide and Seek

• The one who wields the Blackrazor
  • Planewalker
  • I always begin my day with a good backstab.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 05:07:24 AM »

Ghreyfain, if you, or anyone else for that matter, has managed to backstab with axes in BG2, I'd very much like to hear about it, so that I can go absolutely and certifiably insane, until I somehow discover how it is done...
My half - orc multiclass fighter/thief is able to backstab with the Stonefire Axe.
I was very suprised by this, but happy indeed.

It doesn't seem to work every time, but I might be doing it wrong.
I don't know which component that allowed me to do so, is it the universal weapons component that is responsible?
If that's the case, thank you! I love backstabs.
Favourite Quotes from BG2
Minsc: Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
Saemon: Pardon?
Aerie: This is gonna hurt you ALOT more than me!
Sarevok: Now I return the favor!
Drizzt: Yes, yes, you have my attention.
Lilarcor: And this one's for Grandma, who said I would never amount to anything more than a butterknife!

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 07:06:42 AM »
So, Resonance how about weidu.log? Maybe you've stumbled upon some incompatibility between mods?

Offline Resonance

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 12:29:23 PM »
You're asking to see it?

It's a bit long, I might have to warn you. ;D

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 12:51:36 PM »
You're asking to see it?

It's a bit long, I might have to warn you. ;D
It might help, I dunno if I personally would be able to help you, but maybe somebody will...
Alternatively you could try to narrow it down - do a backup of Override, chetin.key, weidu log and start uninstalling mods one by one and see if it helps (prepare beforehand a save just before the opportunity), if it doesn't help throw in your backup and... wait for some bright person to think of something :)

Offline Resonance

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 06:11:19 PM »
It is working! :)

The irritating thing is that I never got to retry backstabbing with the axe before uninstalling Sims tweakpack components of improved backstabbing and additional racial enemy components (the latter of which I weren't using anyway, so that was mainly because I was lazy, and there was a rumour about that one about)
For what it is worth, right now, at least we are down to one of two possibilities:
either, I was somehow doing it 'wrong', OR the improved backstabbing/additional racial enemy components from Sims tweakpack version 14 has some kind of influence, anyways.

But this time, I'm actually suspicious of how I carried out the experiment the last time...
If my F/T simply never experimented backstabbing with axes versus shortswords on any other than the tougher Duegar warriors from the Tactics mod (the most plentiful opponent in chateu Irenicus when using the improved Ilyich) and therefore simply never managed a hit in time for his backstab to work, that might have erroniously convinced my untrained eye (used no backstabbers playing through BG1) that I simply weren't being allowed to do it... The fact that the shortsword backstabs where an instant success could be attributed to simple coincidence.

My selfsuspicion is made quite plausible by the fact that now, the backstab works every time on the 'imp ilyich' mages, but only rarely on the warriors...
much ado about nothing, I'm affraid. :P

Well, at least I now know it is working.

Offline Resonance

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 07:32:11 PM »
I'm just back to say: aaaaarrrrggh!

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 12:42:22 AM »
I'm just back to say: aaaaarrrrggh!
Exactly.

Offline Resonance

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 06:16:38 AM »
Sorry, guys.  :-[

I'll make a serious effort to be a lot more scientific and thorough in my approach the next time a problem occurs.

Morken

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 09:10:14 AM »
I just ran a test and Silverstar had no trouble backstabbing with... A HALBERD.

Yep, the game checks for backstab-ability by seeing if a thief can use it, which, you mod makes almost all weapons eligible.

I think it's odd to backstab with a Halberd.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 10:33:30 AM »
I just ran a test and Silverstar had no trouble backstabbing with... A HALBERD.

Yep, the game checks for backstab-ability by seeing if a thief can use it, which, you mod makes almost all weapons eligible.

I think it's odd to backstab with a Halberd.
you can stab with a halberd...

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 12:24:17 PM »
You can hit people's vulnerable bits with a halberd, a dagger, a club, a staff, or a jumbo jet, assuming you have the strength requirements and proficiency with it.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »
You can hit people's vulnerable bits with a halberd, a dagger, a club, a staff, or a jumbo jet, assuming you have the strength requirements and proficiency with it.
Yeah, D&D has the wrong aproach, a needle is not much of a weapon, but when sticked into a right place it can cause a lot of damage...

Offline Lord Kain

• "I was the 500th member on the old forgottenwars forum and all I got was this lousy title"
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2005, 05:05:42 PM »

A Critical hit is hiting people's vulnerable bits. A Backstab is just a critical hit on command for extra special effect.
Now, at last, the masks had fallen away.  The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed.  Most ironic of all was the last gift that Raziel had given me, more powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision his sacrifice had accorded me - the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion:  Hope.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: