Author Topic: Journal entries are a pain  (Read 12094 times)

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Journal entries are a pain
« on: August 24, 2005, 04:25:19 PM »
In making a quick quest involving the ore poison, I've hit a minor inconvenience. We have 3 types of journal formatting to contend with: BG1-style (journal only), BG2-style (quests section) and BG2-style with headings. Tutu-users can potentially have any of these. Pain in bottom. I suggest using BG2-style with headings, and anybody who doesn't have Tutu set up to use that format can go play DSotSC.

Also, I cannot type.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 04:27:55 PM by SimDing0™ »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Journal entries are a pain
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 04:51:14 PM »
Hmm.  Yeah, shit.  I forgot about the journal discrepencies.

OK, well.  I guess go ahead and just code for Tutu-optimal and, if I decide to keep making the mod for both BG1 and Tutu, I'll make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks again, BTW.  I need to get a stamp made that says that, I think.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 05:47:45 PM »
Are we still going with the BG2-style With Headings?  I forgot I had to do these, dammit.  :(

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 06:03:17 PM »
I reckon so.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 06:03:32 PM »
I believe EasyTutu will soon incoporate organized and titled journal entries, which means ours should be titled and placed in the correct sections for Tutu, yes.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 08:27:48 AM »
Hello -

I believe EasyTutu will soon incoporate organized and titled journal entries, which means ours should be titled and placed in the correct sections for Tutu, yes.

Yes, it will.  It will also delete quest entries out of the Quests section once quests are completed.

On a related note,  I feel like I should probably mention exactly what I am doing, in case it impacts any of the dialog work UB is doing (apologies in advance for this being a boring post).  There are several different kinds of DLG edits I am having to make in order to accomplish the journal stuff.  First, game text updates.  I am using STRING_SET to update any journal strrefs that have missing titles, bad grammar, etc.  Second, I am adding EraseJournalEntry lines in dialog transitions that mark the end of a quest, in order to get rid of the entries in the Quests section.

The most annoying task is the prevention of journal entries related to quests that have already been completed.  In the past, because journal entries didn't get erased, I didn't have to worry about inappropriate entries, because the BG2 engine will only allow any one strref to be added to the journal a single time.  When you start erasing entries, it is possible to, say, talk to a FAI commoner in chapter 3, and get an unsolved quest entry for the Nashkel mines.  To deal with this, I am doing two things.  The most commonly used tactic by far is adding a condition to the related dialog state to prevent it.  So, if previously the condition was:

Code: [Select]
IF ~RandomNum(12,7)~ THEN ...

...now it is

Code: [Select]
IF ~RandomNum(12,7)
GlobalLT("Chapter","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN ...

However, there are times when this tactic is not appropriate, as it will take away a needed dialog option.  In these situations, I don't touch the dialog condition, but I add a transition that omits the journal entry if it is no longer appropriate.

The final thing I am doing is addressing any dialog stupidity I find along the way.  For example, in Kivan's dialog, if he reveals he is after Tazok and you call him a hate monger and tell him to get lost, you get a journal entry.  But if you say "hey, great, let's go kill the bastard," you do not.  This is stupid, IMO -- the entry belongs in your journal only if you take on Kivan and agree to the idea of hunting Tazok.  So I changed the journal entry to happen if you accept him into the party.

I am continuously updating the list of dialogs I touch on the EasyTutu change log page.  If you think we might need it, I am happy to do a private beta of the new version when it is finished in order to allow for UB compatibility testing.

That's it.  Still awake? :)
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 01:09:05 PM »
Are we still going with the BG2-style With Headings?  I forgot I had to do these, dammit.  :(
I assume this is Tutu only? Putting headers in my BG1 journal is a sure way to get smacked.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 01:41:30 PM »
Yup, only the the Tutu package.  :)

Hurricane

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:12:32 AM »
Sorry to bring this up again after 5 years, I don't mean to necropost for no reason.

Simple question: Having played BG1UB in a BGT game, I'm wondering: Whatever happened to the "BG2-style with headings"?

Explanation: When I encounter any journal entries from UB, I always get the "BG1-style journal only" kind of entries, which is annoying in a BG2-style game. All journal entries from UB (e.g. the one you get after talking to Corianna) are missing headers and therefore, when they are added to the journal, they are also displayed entirely in the dialogue bar, instead of the (non-existent) header only, as per BG2. Also, I am particularly confused as to why the entries are implemented this way because, given the conversation in this thread, the original implementation for Tutu apparently did use the "BG2-style with headings", and appropriately so. Which begs the question: Why are there no journal headers for entries from UB when using BGT?

To paraphrase devSin, not putting headers in my BGT journal is a sure way to get smacked. ;D

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 01:49:05 AM »
There is no objection to adding headers. I am doing bugfix upgrades (only exception was the Scar quest as I was writing anyway), so anything provided I am willing to integrate into the package, but I have no time to add any titles myself.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »
Jarl was thinking about writing / correcting journal entries to having headers. They would still need translation, of course, but no need to do the work twice.

Hurricane

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 10:14:46 AM »
Great! If Jarl is writing the new headers, I'll just wait for the results. I'm standing by for any assistance or double-checking, if necessary.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
Hello Hurricane, Jarl added journal enries with headers (and SOLVED / UNSOLVED) for the components (added new lines if missing):
-Edie, the Merchant League Applicant
-Quoningar, the Cleric
-Shilo Chen and the Ogre-Magi
-The Mysterious Vial

Any other entries you notice or might want to add, please let me know!

The chnages will be included in the next update.

Hurricane

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »
I've been meaning to report back to this thread after I would test the current beta release with the new headers more extensively, but I must acknowledge that I currently lack the time to do so. But since I don't want to keep you waiting any longer, I will answer now with only little to say. I want to thank Jarl for the new headers. They fit very nicely. As for additional headers, I think we could even equip every single journal entry from UB with an appropriate header, so that there is no difference left to the handling of journal entries when installing UB for Tutu and BGT. I would gladly contribute them myself if I had the time. Anyway, I am very content with the headers that are already implemented.

One problem though. After I had a look at the updated tra files with the new headers, I wanted to take a look at the resulting dialogue using Near Infinity. It seems that all dialogues which are related to the newly introduced headers are borked somehow, at least in my installation. For instance, when looking at berrun.dlg, all states above 20 (i.e. 21 to 33) have the wrong texts. Instead of Berrun's approriate text, his lines are the names of the different UB components. Apparently the dialogue uses the wrong ResRefs, namely the ones from setup.tra instead of ubvial.tra. Then again, all strings from edie.dlg (15175 to 15181) are the ones from BG2's dialog.tlk instead of the ones from BG1/UB. So for instance, for state 7 the text is "Conjure Earth Elemental" etc. I currently do not know what to make of this.

WeiDU.log
// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #3 #0 // BG2 Fehlerbehebungen (Hauptteil): v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #3 #3 // BG2 BETA Fehlerbehebungen (Hauptteil)   (schaut bitte in die Liesmich Datei!): v9.01
~TP/SETUP-TP.TP2~ #0 #0 // MKs BG2 Textpatch Revised: v3.4
~BGT/SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #4 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogie - Hauptteil: 1.12 (12 Jun 2011)
~TP/SETUP-TP.TP2~ #0 #1 // Namenanpassungen (wenn Ihr BGT installieren wollt, installiert diese Komponente danach): v3.4
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #0 // Wiederherstellung des zweiten Levels der Eisinsel: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #1 // Das geheimnisvolle Flaeschchen: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #2 // Zusaetzliche Begegnung mit Elminster: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #3 // Angelo bemerkt Shar-Teel: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #4 // Loesbares Karavanenabenteuer mit Kagain: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #5 // Coran und die Lindwuermer: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #6 // Kivan und Tazok: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #7 // Branwen und Tranzig: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #8 // Safanas Flirten: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #9 // Angemessene Belohnung von Albert und Rufie: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #10 // Entar Silberschild in seinem Haus postieren: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #11 // Scar und Sashenstars Tochter: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #12 // Quoningar, der Kleriker: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #13 // Shilo Chen und die Ogermagi: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #14 // Edie, der Bewerber fuer die Haendlerliga: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #15 // Verstaerkungstruppen fuer die Soeldner der Flammenden Faust: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #16 // Korrekturen von Kreaturen: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #17 // Wiederherstellung von Kreaturen: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #18 // Wiederherstellung von Namen der Kreaturen : v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #19 // Wiederherstellung von kleineren Dialogen: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #20 // Wiederherstellung von Toenen: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #21 // Korrekturen und Wiederherstellungen von Laeden, Tavernen und Wirtshaeusern: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #22 // Korrekturen und Wiederherstellungen von Gegenstaenden: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #23 // Korrekturen und Wiederherstellungen von Gebieten: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #24 // Bleibende Leichname: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #26 // Korrekturen der originalen BG-Saga Musikabspielliste: v13_120118
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #1 #27 // Korrekturen von Sarevoks Tagebuch: v13_120118

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 02:30:25 AM »
 That sounds as if you are using an old savegame with a new install. In my install, everything works fine (I just installed and berrung.dlg looks good).EDIT: I extracted the dlg using weidu. I have no idea why NI would mix texts.Sorry!! I think I see the problem. Note to myself: REALLY need a BGT-install for checking. You are right about berrun.dlg, and a very good catch!

"edie.dlg" is a left-over from BG1 in BGII, what you want to check is ubedie.dlg.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:39:07 AM by jastey »

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 06:23:53 AM »
This was surprisingly complicated, but I think I figured it out. While doing so, I noticed that my code for the sound installation was buggy, too. It is fixed now, I hope. The download will be updated soon.

Thank you again for reporting! I was never good at dry coding. :-[

Hurricane

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 07:13:02 AM »
"edie.dlg" is a left-over from BG1 in BGII, what you want to check is ubedie.dlg.
Sorry, stupid mistake of mine. I have checked UBEDIE, UBSHILO and UBQUON. It turn out they are all fine. :)

Since I don't have Tutu, I'm afraid I can't check the installation of the missing sounds. For BGT it all works as it should, i.e. no sounds are installed.

And hey, it's called beta version for a reason! ;D I'm just thrilled you are putting together the next UB version for us! That's all I could ask for.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »
I checked the Tutu install concerning sounds rather thoroughly, it should work now as intended. Actually, I changed it back to "English sounds get installed if there are no extra language sounds" (which makes sense for Russian), but if Italian and Polish will not be extracted, I might change it back to leave them out.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:00:41 PM by jastey »

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 02:22:40 AM »
This is a call for a volunteer, seconing Hurricane's wish for BGII-style journal entries!

There are journal entries that would need adjusting for the Tutu/BGT install. For all files in bg1ub/BGT/d or bg1ub/tutu/d the journal entries could be changed to having headers (if not already present) and being written into the solved/unsolved section of the journal. Currently, the ones I checked are all put into the journal section as it was in BG1.
There might be more journal entries hidden in the other bg1ub dialogue files.

Anyone who feels like adjusting the code and giving suggestions for titles please feel free to do so.  :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: