Author Topic: Unused items  (Read 19739 times)

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Re: Unused items
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2006, 05:55:02 PM »
Aren't high-level scrolls extremely hard to come by? I remember Cloudkill and Cone of Cold being pretty hard to find. If so, I'd suggest sticking with that. Flame Strike on the Bishop is a good placement, but putting them in multiple stores seems dubious.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2006, 05:58:15 PM »
Well, the stock could always be reduced to one of each or something, and remove them from the Temple of Wisdom. Then there'd still only be very few available in the game.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2006, 03:46:45 AM »
SCRL61      CURE CRITICAL WOUNDS
SCRL62      FLAME STRIKE
SCRL63      RAISE DEAD

Perhaps add these priestly scrolls to some of the more powerful temples in the region-- the Lady's Hall (Umberlee, Baldur's gate), Keldath Ormlyr (Lathander, the Song of the Morning), the High Hall of Wonders (Gond, Baldur's Gate) and the Temple of Wisdom (I forget which deity, but it's earlyish ingame so a useful location, Friendly Arm Inn). I gave the FAI one a lower stock since it isn't quite as big.
The Lady's Hall is actually dedicated to Tymora--Umberlee's temple is "The Water Queen's House" and doesn't actually count as a Temple at all, since you cannot recieve any Temple services there whatsoever. The Temple of Wisdom at the FAI is hallowed to Garl Glittergold. If we're going to be talking size/power of the Temples, then I would seriously suggest Helm: Over the entire BG series, we can see that he's clearly invested a lot of energy in his franchises. Over 11 Million Healed.

But what makes sense to me is to have the scrolls for sale at each temple be determined by its patron deity: Varci Roaringhorn's quest is a strong indicator that the Temple of Tymora would not stock scrolls of Raise Dead, nor is it in harmony with the policies of Lathander. I would suggest placing some in the FAI Temple (nice central location throughout the game), and also one or two in the store at Ulgoth's Beard, given the "you-can't-leave-until-you've-beaten-it" nature of the quests that begin in that town, and that there are no Temples in any of those quests, or in the Beard itself. True, both of these locations are available in Chapter 1, but the party isn't going to be very able to afford those scrolls in the beginning--and it's not like Raise Dead is going to help anyone win a battle anyway. Besides, having available scrolls of Raise Dead seems pretty essential when it's a spell you're never going to be able to cast in the game, especially when you're roleplaying that any death that lasts for more than 24 hours is permanent.

Cure Critical Wounds seems in harmony with Helm, Lathander, and Tymora, and Flamestrike seems appropriate to Helm. As well as the Bishop/Lamalha placements you mention earlier.

... if you could Raise Dead Angelo then you could prove your innocence (presuming you didn't kill him) so from a story point of view it makes sense for them not to have that facility available.
Ummm....what? I don't understand what you're getting at. Do you mean Rieltar instead of Angelo?

I remember Cloudkill and Cone of Cold being pretty hard to find.
I remember Cone of Cold as being impossible to find, except in mods.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2006, 11:02:42 AM »
Six: you're right, I meant Bruno or Rieltar rather than Angelo. And removing them from Tymora's temple makes sense too (since I thought it was Umberlee). I thought some more and like Sim suggested dropping the stock might be an idea since with potentially 9 Raise Dead in the game then you'd not have to worry about dying, whereas with 3 you still would.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Finellach

• Planewalker
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2006, 11:44:32 PM »
Hello...my first post.  :)

My suggestions....

Club +1, +3 vs. Unnatural creatures('The Root of the Problem') - the best to hold this item is Amarande, 'Shadow Druids' Arch-Druid in Cloakwood(AR 1600)

Studded Leather Armor +2: Missile Attraction - I agree with SixOfSpades but one of good choices might also be one of the two idiot brothers Caldo and Krumm who want to tear down the nymph tree in AR5200

Spear+3, Backbiter - I agree completly with Spear+3, Backbiter, Undead Knight in Firewine Ruins is perfect choice

Btw. what about Scimitar +1(SW1H22)? This item is also missing from game....I was thinking maybe giving it to Sendai(AR5300)...she is Amnish and hates "northern barbarians". Since Scimitars are rather oriental blades and more common for Amn than Sword Coast I think they are perfect choice...although Feldpost Inn might host one for purchase.

Have you also thought about Helm of Charm Protection? I found out that Ghost Knights in Firewine Dungeons are carrying it but I don't know if you can kill the and obtain it...probably not. Since such items are quit common maybe it would be nice to give it to Karlat, dwarf who attacks you in Beregost 'Red Sheaf Inn'?

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2006, 03:16:03 AM »
Nice suggestiones, Finelllach but I can't see a Helmet of Charm Protection be of much use to a dwarf, since they are already naturally resistant against charm...

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2006, 03:43:43 PM »
Actually, isn't it just Elves and Half-Elves who are resistant to Charm?

I still wouldn't give it to Karlat, though, the Helm is too good for a low-level guy like him. I think I'd put it on one of the Iron Throne gang who ambushes you outside of Gullykin. Or, alternatively, somewhere on Werewolf Island, considering that the only noteworthy item there is the Staff Mace, and pretty much the only class that gives a damn about it is the Cleric/Thief.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2006, 01:48:07 AM »
SixOfSpades,

you must be right about it. I don't know why I thought that Dwarf were also naturally resistant to all mind-affecting spells but it can be that they just start with much better saving throws...

Offline Finellach

• Planewalker
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2006, 09:49:55 AM »
Or perhaps it would be best to add Helm of Charm Protection for sale somewhere...maybe Taerom or Feldpost.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2006, 11:16:05 PM »
OK, so... in regard to which scrolls to be showed by which temples... (btw, Andy, I totally overlooked your code before.  Thanks, and sorry!)

Cure Critical Wounds: FAI Temple, Ulgoth's Beard, The Lady's Hall, Song of the Morning, Nashkel Helm Temple, BG Helm Temple
Flame Strike: Ulgoth's Beard, Nashkel Helm Temple,  BG Helm Temple
Raise Dead: FAI Temple, Ulgoth's Beard, Song of the Morning, Nashkel Helm Temple, BG Helm Temple

Too much?  Not enough?  Wrong assignments?

<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2006, 09:08:10 PM »
Another item I have no memory of (but NI doesn't report it as unused) is SBLADE.ITM (Selune's Blade), a magical short sword with fire resistance.

Accoding to NI, this is invoked by casting the Wizard's spell Selune's Blade (SPWI952).

I haven't had a chance to look at your other findings, but I will soon.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2006, 09:23:10 PM »
OK, going over everyone's suggestions, I've compiled this list.  If no one mentions any kind of issues or problems, I'll try and code these up this weekend.

• BLUN10 (Root of the Problem): Amarande, Shadow Druid (AMARAN.CRE)
  • BRAC05 (Bracers): Kivan, Coran, RNDEQUIP.2DA
  • HELM07 (Helmet of Charm Protection): Gullykin ambush party or Balduran's Island or Feldepost's
  • LEAT06 (Armor of Missle Attraction): Lucky Aello's
  • MISC79 (Female Body): Sewers
  • SCRL2D (Animate Dead): Ulgoth's Beard
  • SCRL2F (Cone of Cold): Ulgoth's Beard, RNDSCROL.2DA
  • SCRL2H (Shadow Door): Ulgoth's Beard
  • SCRL5L (Polymorph Other): Ulgoth's Beard
  • SCRL61 (Cure Critical Wounds): FAI Temple, Ulgoth's Beard, The Lady's Hall, Song of the Morning, Nashkel Helm Temple, BG Helm Temple
  • SCRL62 (Flame Strike): Ulgoth's Beard, Nashkel Helm Temple, BG Helm Temple
  • SCRL63 (Raise Dead): FAI Temple, Ulgoth's Beard, Song of the Morning, Nashkel Helm Temple, BG Helm Temple
  • SPER03 (Backbiter): Firewine Ruins Skeleton
  • SW1H22 (Scimitar +1): Sendai
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 05:47:20 PM by icelus »

Offline Finellach

• Planewalker
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2006, 09:29:03 PM »
Looks good.  :)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2006, 09:31:04 PM »
Looks good.  :)

I also meant to say that if you notice any items that weren't in the game but didn't make it to the list in the first post, please let me know.  The Scimitar +1 and the Helm of Charm Protection aren't reported as "unused" in a Near Infinity search, which is technically true.  But the PC can never really acquire the items.  I'm sure there are a few others out there that fall in the same category.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2006, 05:47:04 PM »
MISC79: Female Body--it obviously wouldn't hurt to change 1/3rd to 1/2 of the bodies found in the BG sewers to be Female, with the most obvious contender being the one found in the same web-cocoon as the Ruby Ring. Arkion would need be tweaked, to accept a Female Body as well as a Male one, and perhaps Scar should only offer his "Ruby Ring" reward if you also go back and bring him a Female Body to give to the Sashenstars.

OK, I've completed this, sort of.  I replaced three male bodies with females, including the container with the ruby ring.  I've also altered Arkion's dialog to accept a male or female body.

I didn't, however, change Scar's dialog to expect the female body.  I would think that, to do that, the body in that particular cocoon would need a specific item code.  I could either not change any of the other bodies *except* for the one with the ruby ring, or make a new item for the Sashenstar's daughter.  Otherwise any random female body would be accepted by Scar.

I can do what you suggest, it'd just take some extra coding.  Does anyone think it'd really be worth it, though?  Would the Sashenstars want a mangled corpse to give a proper burial, or would they be disgusted?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: