Author Topic: Crashing in Beregost  (Read 27796 times)

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
Re: Crashing in Beregost
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 10:54:50 AM »
And for the record, just fixing the erroneous spell slot back to spell level 5/wizard 1 on the actor will circumvent the crashing, even on a game I had that would CTD on load.  That is, if you want a somewhat less crude solution than deleting the actor (or overwriting the saved FW3300/AR6700 with an "uncorrupted" area). :P  I can't reproduce the crash after making this fix, even in heavy stress-testing moving between Beregost and other areas multiple times.  And this is on a saved game that would previously crash roughly 20% of the time when moving from Beregost to another area.  But yeah... I guess that doesn't necessarily mean we've pinpointed the cause of the corruption.  >:(

Must... Kill... Bereghost...

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 03:06:35 AM »
Edited my earlier procedure to use Ascension64's crash fixer instead (also included a link for the code).  As the name implies, this will fix a saved game that crashes on load.  But to repeat Ascension64's post elsewhere, if you have a saved game prone to crashing, we'd like it for testing for a more comprehensive fix to this problem.

As a side note, I came across someone who has hit this problem on a vanilla patched BG1 with no mods or conversions (Tutu/BGT) or even TotSC.  Hopefully I can get more data on this and draw some conclusions from it (doubtful but who knows).

Offline Elhoim

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 12:20:34 PM »
I had some Beregost crashs in a BG installation with Baldurash and Dudley fixes. The good thing was that they didn´t corrupt my saves.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 07:13:17 PM »
If you still have such a save game (particularly around a point where it's prone to crashing) we would be interested in checking it out.  I've heard of at least a couple other folks who can reproduce this glitch in vanilla BG1 but as yet, haven't been able to obtain any data.

Offline Ascension64

• Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 09:23:46 PM »
OK, with my novice skills in Java, I've written a Java class that does exactly the same thing as the Setup-CrashFix.tp2. Use it in exactly the same way except in step 9, you need to start it by "java Beregost". I'll see if I can get FredSRichardson to include this in NearInfinity, although it will definitely need a few modifications. With extremely few comments in the NI source code, it is really hard to make sense of.

Class is no longer available. See this instead.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:17:24 PM by Ascension64 »

neroman

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2007, 03:01:00 AM »
I still cannot get my saved game to work after applying the fix.

My steps were as follows:

Im playing baldurs gate tutu, and the game is installed in C:\Program Files\BaldursGateTutu

I dled the .tp2 file, the weidu.exe (from the weidu198.zip) and the near infinity jar, and threw them all into my game directory

i renamed the weidu.exe to the SETUP-Crashfix.exe

i used near infinity to decompress my quick save game

I went to the decompressed game folder (path: C:\Program Files\BaldursGateTutu\_000000001-Quick-Save) and copy/pasted the FW3300.ARE file to the main game directory (C:\Program Files\BaldursGateTutu)

I rain the SETUP-Crashfix.exe  - it asked me to press "I" to intsall, whereupon it logs the following:

"Copying and patching 1 file . . .

No errors detected.

SUCCESSFULY INSTALLED {Beregot crash fixer]

Press ENTER to exit"

I take the FW3300.ARE file and copy-paste it back into the decompressed folder, and use near infinity to recompress the saved game

Upon runniing the BG tutu and trying to  loading the saved game, it still crashes

Any ideas?

neroman

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2007, 03:03:55 AM »
i can provide the saved game folder to whoever needs it..just let me know how to get it to you

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2007, 03:34:38 AM »
Try using the 1.1 version in Ascension64's link immediately above yours.  He found some additional forms of saved game corruption fixed in this version (which also has an easier user interface).  He'll probably also be interested in your saved game.

neroman

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2007, 01:22:20 PM »
I just gave it a go, but couldnt getthe .jar file to work. It keeps giving me a Java Virtual Machine Error "Could not find the main class. Program will exit" even after i rename it to "jar -jar Beregostcrashfixer.jar"

I made the post already so hopefully i'm just doing something wrong and it will be fixed

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: