Author Topic: New Harry Potter, what do you think? (read it, then reply)  (Read 6920 times)

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
Re: New Harry Potter, what do you think? (read it, then reply)
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2005, 09:26:56 PM »
Snape was the Half Blood prince. He mentions it late in the book.
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline Operadragon

• The Thundering Voice of Ages
  • Planewalker
  • The voice is a truly powerful tool...use it well.
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2005, 10:56:23 PM »
Wow....thanks... :P

(http://operadragon.timeimmortal.net/captain.gif)

Opera
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 08:27:40 AM by Operadragon »
Operadragon

Voice For Hire, LLC

<Operadragon> I think you're cute.
<St. Josephine> I think you're drunk.

Offline CORVIS TERRIBLE MOUNTAIN GOD

• Planewalker
  • Things Fall Apart
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 11:33:54 PM »
Wow....thanks...

(http://operadragon.timeimmortal.net/captain.gif)

Opera

Is there any aspect of your personality that is not entirely banal?

Offline Operadragon

• Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 11:48:09 PM »
Yep. Every part you fail to grasp. I didn't know that every time someone said "Captain Obvious," that they posted a graphic alongside...I guess that is trite or 'banal...'

*taking notes*

Glad you're here to tell me these things...what a waste of synapse fire.

Besides, I'd rather be banal than utterly disturbing, contrarian, and secretly despised.

Glad to live down to your standards. :)

Opera

P.S. Oh yeah...better stay on topic.
*ahem*
Harry Potter.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 11:51:07 PM by Operadragon »
Operadragon

Voice For Hire, LLC

Offline CORVIS TERRIBLE MOUNTAIN GOD

• Planewalker
  • Things Fall Apart
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2005, 12:12:07 AM »
utterly disturbing,

Flattery will get you nowhere.

secretly despised

Secretly? I know you're new here, but you're not that new.

I'm not going to take this any further, as it would only result in yet another locked thread. But you might want to consider being less confrontational in the future.

Someone might reciprocate.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2005, 12:19:33 AM »
Ahh, it's truly a shame, but I imagine this whole episode could've been saved had there been a few more smiley emoticons spread liberally throughout certain posts.  Or not.  As it is, please to be talking about whatever obscure book it is y'all are talkin' about.

Oh, and in an effort to reduce the swelling, here's a cat!  What a rude cat.

(http://www.thegardenhelper.com/sammy.jpg)

Okay, so the link doesn't work.  Doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 12:24:05 AM by Ghreyfain »
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Operadragon

• Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2005, 12:38:29 AM »
Flattery will get you nowhere.

Sounds like to me you're saying that there is something I could do or say that *would* get me somewhere...

Secretly? I know you're new here, but you're not that new.

Oops. Secret's out.
By the way, since when is being around here 14 months being 'new here?'  Oh, I forgot. You are the litmus test for pushing the envelope around here...I guess the laws of space and time are redefined on your corner of the internet, too.

I'm not going to take this any further, as it would only result in yet another locked thread.

And miss your witty repartee? Damn. And here I thought getting threads locked was your badge of honor.

But you might want to consider being less confrontational in the future. Someone might reciprocate.

Thanks, Luca Braci. 'Someone,' eh? Ooh, I can only guess who...maybe the one who was confrontational in the first place? I would say "Captain Obvious" again, but that would be too predictable, trite, 'banal,' or whatever other SAT Word-of-the-Week you decide to use...Instead, I'll just say, "Hagrid, Horcrux, and Hermione Granger."

And have a nice day.
Opera

P.S. Oh OK, Ghrey.  :pirate
Operadragon

Voice For Hire, LLC

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 02:57:20 AM »
Umm, Opera, Veloxyll was answering a question from page 1, from clock sendak (must be Maurice's son) asking who was the Half Blood Prince. Reading all the prior posts helps avoid these problems, too.  :)

If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 07:19:42 AM »
Remus Lupin is so cute

ok anyway whatever -cough- i was quite shocked to find out snapie was a half-blood, always thought him as pure blood, due to his insane cuteness, and such and such -shrugs- ill shut up now, but i did suspect him as the half blood prince when i saw the adult book cover which read "advanced potion making" i did think it was snape and mom  thought it was hagrid, i threw a party when i realised I got it right -smiles- and besides, i was crying when dumbledore died :'( damn you JK rowling..... how could ya kill dumbledore?!

Offline Resonance

• Poltergeist in residence
  • Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 07:46:23 AM »
Aaarrgh!!! Harry Potter!
(devoted fans should close their eyes, ears and minds now....)

As far as I'm concerned, that whole bunch of characters should be wiped out ASAP, be it by Voldemorth or bookburning in the streets... whichever way is quicker in getting the task done has got my vote of confidence.  ;D

I honestly think that the only fairly interesting and rounded character of the series has been Snape. Everybody else comes off as a bunch of onedimensional zombies, dishing out tired lines and acting like sheep, Voldemorth included.
I seem to recall that I thought the first and the second book of the series decent enough jobs.
Since then.... aarrrgh. All downhill; supposing that I haven't simply lost patience with this series over time. Part of me wants to read those first ones again, just to see if they were really half decent at all, or if I just managed to kid myself I was eating tubed astronauts food, while scooping up the litterary equivalent of mayonaise. :-[
I find myself following the series now as an explorer into just how crummily written a bestseller can be.
We really seem to be headed where no man has gone before! :P

Offline Operadragon

• Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2005, 08:29:11 AM »
Yeah...I knew that. I guess it was late that night and forgot the smiley, as Ghrey was much more subtle about pointing out.

Thanks for stoking the fire

Opera
Operadragon

Voice For Hire, LLC

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2005, 03:15:56 AM »
No, just sticking up for my countryman.  :)
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2005, 04:51:32 AM »
tell you one thing, 2-3 yrs of waiting for half blood prince wasnt worth the wait at all, it was the wost book jk has done, Goblet of Fire, in my mind, is the best

Offline Operadragon

• Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2005, 07:09:49 PM »
Aw come on... Why was it the worst? At least give a reason...

Operadragon

Voice For Hire, LLC

Offline melora

• The Quiet Storm
  • Planewalker
  • I don't need your attitude, i have one of my own !
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2005, 09:29:56 PM »
i also liked goblet of fire best, but i really didnt like the order of the phoenix.  almost didnt bother finishing it.
Somebody had to be me; it might as well be me.<br />-Charles Barkley

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2005, 04:03:59 AM »
Aw come on... Why was it the worst? At least give a reason...

well,

she seamed to rush the book as if she didnt care, the story line was out of place, it seamed Dumbledore had a crush on harry potter, and the ending was crap and lets not forget!
WHY WOULD SNAPE BETRAY DUMBLEDORE

i mean come on? this made out that dumbledore was an old fool who couldnt tell between good or evil
jk rowling damn you
you ruined hp
if your next book isnt good
im damning you to hell
 :)
thanks
your undevoted fan
me\
 ;)

Offline Operadragon

• Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2005, 01:04:55 PM »
Yup...I had to ask.

-Ooooooooooopera
Operadragon

Voice For Hire, LLC

Offline Jon

• I'm not important enough for a last name.
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2005, 03:08:48 PM »
I haven't read a Harry Potter book in many an age (meaning three or four years) because the characters seemed to just crank out the same mindless one-demensional blather (someone else mentioned this as well) and never really left their tiny little Box of Character. You always knew what someone was going to say and what they were going to do. And after reading this thread it sounds like what could have been/was a good series has gone to waste? Well, I have one thing to say to that.

Read The Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbit)!

Now there's a good series. I think I'll make a thread about it right now, if there isn't one! Whoo hoo! Hail the mighty Tolkien!

And be nice to OperDragon. He's voicing Cailean and didn't deserve any insults anyway. This is the famed Pocket Plane. We can all get along in peace and harmony, right? Right.

Cheerio.
"Puppies do not cause cancer.  Puppies are more fun than weed.
I suggest everyone buy a puppy."

So sayeth the wise Icelus.

Offline clock sendak

• delantero derecho
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2005, 04:08:19 PM »
Umm, Opera, Veloxyll was answering a question from page 1, from clock sendak (must be Maurice's son) asking who was the Half Blood Prince. Reading all the prior posts helps avoid these problems, too.  :)

no- i understood that it was snape- but if you look at the other titles there's usually been much more to the harry and the... construction.  That is, we didn't hear much about snape's significance as the half blood prince, harry had no real response to discovering that this person he was quite fond of was actually snape- kind of a big deal for ickle 'arry and his one sided mentality towards severus.  Mostly though, i found that all of this was part of a general dissappointment with the book, as though rowling had been a bit on cruise control - like Miles on "In a silent way"- good album, but nothing outstanding.
Hey yo, I know this dude right.
Carl, he wore tight blue sweats, but wasn't glued too tight.  all he had upstairs was a crude light
you think that's weird, he lived next door to a food fight.

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2005, 08:17:22 AM »
I haven't read a Harry Potter book in many an age (meaning three or four years) because the characters seemed to just crank out the same mindless one-demensional blather (someone else mentioned this as well) and never really left their tiny little Box of Character. You always knew what someone was going to say and what they were going to do. And after reading this thread it sounds like what could have been/was a good series has gone to waste? Well, I have one thing to say to that.

Now there's a good series. I think I'll make a thread about it right now, if there isn't one! Whoo hoo! Hail the mighty Tolkien!

And be nice to OperDragon. He's voicing Cailean and didn't deserve any insults anyway. This is the famed Pocket Plane. We can all get along in peace and harmony, right? Right.

Cheerio.

Harry Potter suffers the same problem that most of Tolkiens characters suffer, they are 1 dimensional (and as for Snape betraying Dumbledore, we'll have to wait for book 7 to find out his motivations)
Ex:

Harry - Omg. I wish I had a non-abusive family. Omigosh Voldemort = Evil. Omg. Snape = evil. etc etc
Boromir - Omg. Must save Gondor. Great ring of power. We wants it my precious. But. My Honour. Bla. (which is more than i can say about Legolas and Gimli!)

etc etc.

most of Tolkiens other characters also lack personality, at least the Bit characters in Harry Potter make you want to know more about them.
(<--Luna fanboy)

Sadly, that's the same fate that the characters seem to suffer in The Wheel of Time. Except they take longer to have anything happen in WOT.

*puts on Asbestos suit*
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2005, 10:12:29 AM »

Cheerio.

Harry Potter suffers the same problem that most of Tolkiens characters suffer, they are 1 dimensional (and as for Snape betraying Dumbledore, we'll have to wait for book 7 to find out his motivations)
Ex:

Harry - Omg. I wish I had a non-abusive family. Omigosh Voldemort = Evil. Omg. Snape = evil. etc etc
Boromir - Omg. Must save Gondor. Great ring of power. We wants it my precious. But. My Honour. Bla. (which is more than i can say about Legolas and Gimli!)

etc etc.

most of Tolkiens other characters also lack personality, at least the Bit characters in Harry Potter make you want to know more about them.
(<--Luna fanboy)

Sadly, that's the same fate that the characters seem to suffer in The Wheel of Time. Except they take longer to have anything happen in WOT.

*puts on Asbestos suit*

Legolas is cute

i must say i found it extreamly hard to get into the Lord of theRings book, but enjoyed the films alot

Offline Jon

• Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2005, 06:09:51 PM »
The films were great too. Sadly, no one (except other LotR-obsessed people like me) would want to sit through three 7+ hour movies, so Jackson changed and took out a lot.

But back on the topic of Harry Potter.      Well, I don't have anything to say about him/it. I do like the cover of the first book though; with him riding on his broomstick going for the Snitch, or whatever it's called. And it had that shadowy figure on the back to make new readers think "oh! What's that! I should read this and find out what's going on!"
But then again, one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, eh?

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2005, 07:08:06 PM »
The films were great too. Sadly, no one (except other LotR-obsessed people like me) would want to sit through three 7+ hour movies, so Jackson changed and took out a lot.

But back on the topic of Harry Potter.      Well, I don't have anything to say about him/it. I do like the cover of the first book though; with him riding on his broomstick going for the Snitch, or whatever it's called. And it had that shadowy figure on the back to make new readers think "oh! What's that! I should read this and find out what's going on!"
But then again, one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, eh?

i was fairly dissapointed by most the books other then goblet of fire, i only read them so iunderstand what my overly crazed friends are on about

Offline Jon

• Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2005, 07:15:01 PM »
PEER PRESSURE!!
 ;)

Offline Userunfriendly

• Respendent Beta Tester of Madness!
  • Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2005, 06:37:42 PM »

buy the director's cuts...all the cut stuff was spliced back in... :pirate

and they're great!!!
Jansens aren't as harmless like everybody supposes!
They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses!
And what's with all the turnips?
Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway?
Jansens, Jansens,
It must be Jansens!!!
(or it could be griffins)