Author Topic: Archived Posts - Kalah and What He Was Promised  (Read 13588 times)

Offline GoblinZ

• Planewalker
Archived Posts - Kalah and What He Was Promised
« on: July 22, 2005, 02:34:11 AM »
This is the forum where you ask questions about Jafir the rakshasa, right?
Oh well, i suppose somebody will move this if i´m wrong...

So anyway.
I kinda was disappointed by the quest. :/

It felt as if everything just came handed out for free.

Especially the finishing sequence with Jaf.
He started talking, told me roughly everything of his plans and his motives without me having to ask a single question, then he decided to even transform into his true form, revealing his cards just nicely.

And that 500 gold he´s asking? He´s trying to bugger up my progress and still bothers with an insignificant sum such as 500?
5000 would sound more like it to my ears, or maybe a 1000, or something, but 500 just feels like "Alright, alright, just gimmie what money you've got in, say, THAT pocket, and i´ll give ya the password!".

I think it´d have been more intresting if he´d have tried to play it as a nice guy who lost his fortune and was tricked into selling a family heirloom (or some such) to an gnome of an surprisingly evil nature, but maybe slowly yielding to reveal his true nature under an barrage of questions.

Well, that´s just me and my opinion.
Dum dee dum dum dum...

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
Re: The Rakshasa...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 05:18:27 AM »
Jafir (or, the "Kalah and what he was promised"-quest) is part of UB, not the Quest Pack.

Offline GoblinZ

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 06:05:08 AM »
:/

I was merely confused seeing as another topic which i thought to be on the same subject was moved to the quest pack forums...

Dum dee dum dum dum...

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 04:06:57 PM »
:/

I was merely confused seeing as another topic which i thought to be on the same subject was moved to the quest pack forums...

It's OK.  It is a bit confusing, as the other rakshasa topic concerns the possibility of rakshasas tracking you down if you have the Flail of Ages.  The rakshasas concerning the Kalah quest are part of UB.

Andyr should be alone before too long with more information.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline GoblinZ

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 04:16:18 PM »
Didn´t think it was that bad either, i´ve yet to see anyone banned for posting in the wrong forum. :p

::)

Besides my uncle Gerhardino of course who in a drunken stupor posted an play ...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 04:18:54 PM by GoblinZ »
Dum dee dum dum dum...

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 07:19:58 PM »
Yeh, that component was me. It is also one of the first things I ever coded, which explains the shortness and lack of detail. :)

If you have suggestions for how to improve it I will be glad to hear them, and could always change the component in the future.

As for his revealing of himself, I'd always intended for it to be vaguely that way. Rakshasa are fairly powerful and overwhelmingly arrogant, so he probably thought that the puny mortal adventurers would pose him no challenge and the revealing of his true form would be enough to send you scurrying away with your tail between your legs... ;)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline GoblinZ

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 02:10:54 AM »
Ahhh.  ;D

As for his revealing of himself, I'd always intended for it to be vaguely that way. Rakshasa are fairly powerful and overwhelmingly arrogant, so he probably thought that the puny mortal adventurers would pose him no challenge and the revealing of his true form would be enough to send you scurrying away with your tail between your legs... Wink

Tail between your legs and the lamp in your hands, eh? :p

Well, i think it´d be better if the Rakshasa wouldn´t take it for granted that you are in an somewhat hostile mood; all you´ve got is the lamp and a scared little girl´s feel of him, and he doesn´t even know that much, only that you have the lamp.
So if he´d try and amuse himself trying to trick you into wishing something dangerous as an "reward" for returning an family heirloom he was forced to sell for food.

Like the shadow druid in BG 1, the one that you have to pester a lot if you want him to confess that he only wanted your help killing the mad druid, except maybe with an slightly shorter dialogue leading to the revelation, what with the nature of the Rakshasa being what you said.

Well, something, i just lost my train of thought, so...  :-X
Dum dee dum dum dum...

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 09:22:54 AM »
I know it's quite unlikely anyone would do the de'Arnise Keep quest before UB's "circus: the aftermath", but it'd still be nice to have Jafir react if the party has the Flail of Ages.  The same goes for the Rakshasa the Trademeet genies have you hunt down, but that's not really UB ;).
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 12:11:55 PM »
Good idea.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 01:30:25 PM »
Yeah, nice idea. I might insert a line about the FoA or something, then, if it is meant to be a legendary weapon.

I doubt he'd know/care about Trademeet, though.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 02:22:20 PM »
I think the point was more that Ithafeer would react to you having the Flail.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 02:47:02 PM »
Done.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 08:13:41 PM »
Ah, I getcha.

Offline Sloth

• Planewalker
Archived Posts - Kalah and What He Was Promised
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 12:42:40 PM »
I didn't like the edges of the icon for Kahla's Lamp.
I tried to improve it just for fun and it came out a little bit nicer.

Maybe you can implement it into a new version of ub?
feel free to contact me if you want to have the .bam or a screenshot...

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
Re: Kahla's Lamp
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 03:23:49 PM »
Sure, send it along. :)

Offline Sloth

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 04:35:43 PM »
i've send it to andyr@gibberlings3.net

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 05:36:15 PM »
Got it--it looks pretty good, thanks, so we'll include it in the next version. :)

Here's a screenshot I was sent with the .BAM.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 05:54:29 PM »
Polishing the lamp does work! (Looks nice.)
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline cirerrek

• Planewalker
Kalah and What He Was Promised
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 01:34:44 AM »
Not sure if this intended behavior or not but, the genie's lamp is unusable by a Wizard Slayer.

Thanks,
Cirerrek

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
Re: Kalah and What He Was Promised
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 05:49:12 AM »
Heheh. It's not something I set intentionally. You think it should be changed? A magic lamp is pretty, well, magical.

Offline Da_venom

• Planewalker
  • No one escapes death
Re: Kalah and What He Was Promised
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 08:43:25 AM »
yes keep it that way ;)
wizard h8 magic so;)

Brett

NO Dialog's at all
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 11:16:11 AM »
i noticed that After i played the Circus Quest i was approached by a little boy. i am assuming to give me the Kalah Quest. But when he spoke to me he had no dialog. also i went to the Copper Coronet and this woman with picture and all talked to me but again no Dialog. i tried reinstalling and nothing happened.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: NO Dialog's at all
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 11:28:04 AM »
You're making a mistake in your installation, by either having the game running, a game/save editor running, or somehow otherwise making your game files write-protected. Quit out of everything before you install mods.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Brett

Re: NO Dialog's at all
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 11:46:26 AM »
Gee thanks

Infinity the DS

who is jens?
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »
so i clicked to talk to the genie that you can summon as part of the kalah component.. and i got a short bit about a guy named jens from akata. i did a search, but didn't find anything. does anyone know anything about this? is it an easter egg?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: