Author Topic: Modern Doctor Who, Old-School Titles  (Read 9959 times)

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
Re: Modern Doctor Who, Old-School Titles
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2005, 06:58:41 PM »
As the usage of Luke Skywalker and Wolverine in the list of requirements demonstrate, a main character is not exempt from being classified as a Gary Stu.  A hero could easily only have a couple (and thereotically even none) of these qualities, rather than almost all of them.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2005, 07:44:50 PM »
Certainly the main heroine/hero can fall into the classification, as I echoed. Buffy, Sydney Bristow, Ripley and Scarlett O'Hara could also be classified as Mary Sues in some shape or form. Likewise, their universes are built around them. They are the framework.

None of these examples, however, are secondary characters introduced to an existing universe who become the primary focus of attention, admiration, and upheaval in the show. Davies writes or produces in every episode how great, special, amazing and important Rose is. It possessed the season. BAD WOLF.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2005, 08:43:13 PM »
Rose seems to be little more than a regular modern day London teenager with a somewhat above average IQ.  She has been portrayed as having numerous character flaws (being rash, stubborn, occassionally selfish, often unaware of the feelings of others, and letting her emotions dictate her actions), she has no unique abilities or special powers, she certainly can do wrong (and she doesn't always have justification for it), and she has no distinctive physical features (in fact, her lack of such has actually been the source of complaints).  Her name isn't exotic, though admittedly "Russel T Davies" and "Rose Tyler" do have several letters in common (though they certainly aren't anagrams).  Her background and attitude seem perfectly in keeping with her peers and where she's from, and as far as we know she's not related to the Doctor or any previous companion.

So it would seem she only possesses a single definite Mary Sue requirement, i.e. being heavily involved in the story... and in my humble opinion, only having one requirement simply isn't enough to qualify a character as a Mary Sue ;).

Even this requirement can be debated; I mean, I'd  hardly call any Doctor Who companion a "secondary character".  Just because the name of the show is Doctor Who, doesn't mean the Doctor is the only main character - the secondary characters are the people who only show up for an episode or two, recurring at best (like Mickey and Jackie).  If you disagree, and feel that a "secondary character" being heavily involved in the story is enough to make that character a Mary Sue all by itself, then a vast number of previous Who companions have been Mary Sue's as well, especially Peri and Ace.

Further more, both Russel T Davis and Christopher Ecclestone have stated that if anyone has recieved aspects of Davis' personality, it's the Doctor.  After all, what Doctor Who fan dreams of being a companion, when he could dream of being the Doctor?

Incidentally, if anyone in this series of Doctor Who is a Mary Sue, it's Captain Jack Harkness :P.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 08:53:02 PM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline seanas

• Planewalker
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2005, 07:03:43 AM »
None of these examples, however, are secondary characters introduced to an existing universe who become the primary focus of attention, admiration, and upheaval in the show. Davies writes or produces in every episode how great, special, amazing and important Rose is. It possessed the season. BAD WOLF.

**possible spoilers ahead**

i'm glad i wasn't the only person who was appalled when they realised that BAD WOLF was a msg from rose to herself...

still, at least it meant it wasn't the doctor who saved the universe *again*, going some way to naturalising him. still, what i really want to know is: what great acting career does billy piper think she has ahead of her that she needs to leave the series before she's typecast? christopher ecclestone i can understand, but billy piper? shades of david duchovny, i'm afraid...
"those who like TDD are already busy giving install advice to newbies" - the bigg

Offline Kuemper

• There can be only one
  • Planewalker
  • Let me check my notes.
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2005, 09:51:55 AM »
For those of us who aren't getting it as quickly as others, thank you for the "hidden" spoilerage. I'm glad I had time to not see it before I finished reading your post.
Sorry, since the vast majority of forums nowadays have the spoiler tag, I just assumed PPG would have it too.  Besides, 3/4 of those spoilers are for an episode which has already been broadcast in Canada, South Korea,   and Australia.

Not in Newfoundland, which is part of Canada AFAIC.  :P
The opinions expressed in the above post are those of Kuemper, unless specifically cited from other sources.

"Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not 'every man for himself'. And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked them up."

Wanda Gerschwitz

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2005, 03:17:55 PM »
According to my sources, the episode in question was broadcast in Canada on the 24th May :).

Offline Kanain

• Planewalker
  • Formerly known as Kerith_Nyrond
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2005, 09:49:22 PM »
Ms. Piper is actually signed to appear in all 13 episdoes next season.  Whether she will be in season 3 is TBD at this time.  While I admit I wanted "Bad Wolf" to mean something else (Am I the only one who is missing The Master?), I never felt at any point in the season that the show should be renamed "Rose Who".  I loved every minute of the new Who, and hope its run continues for at least as many decades as the original.

B
What is this?  A center for ants?!

Offline Kuemper

• There can be only one
  • Planewalker
  • Let me check my notes.
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2005, 07:29:42 AM »
According to my sources, the episode in question was broadcast in Canada on the 24th May :).

My statement still stands. I'm in Newfoundland! Read - backwater, boondocks, place where the sun don't shine of Canada!!! FYI, it aired in St. John's CBC Tuesday, June 28, 2005. Right after Coronation Street, which plays with my head - will they take over DaVinci's Inquest as well?!  :D

More proof that the rest of the continent is Newfie-phobic.  :P

Also, when did Rose 'kill' the Doctor? If that refers to his regeneration, don't forget to add Peripigilliam Brown to that list.

@kerith - I miss the Master, too. :'(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 07:40:09 AM by Kuemper »
The opinions expressed in the above post are those of Kuemper, unless specifically cited from other sources.

"Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not 'every man for himself'. And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked them up."

Wanda Gerschwitz

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2005, 09:02:13 AM »
Erm, I'm not talking about the final episode, I'm talking about "Father's Day" :).

Offline Kuemper

• There can be only one
  • Planewalker
  • Let me check my notes.
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2005, 02:21:38 PM »
Maybe you should make a clearer reference to the episode you're talking about. I saw no mention of any 'Father's Day'. All that was said was 'The episode in question...', to which I thought meant the season finale since that seemed to be where the last page of posts were headed. Actually, they're all about the writing style of the show. My bad, then.

Wanda Gerschwitz

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2005, 10:55:37 PM »
BAD WOLF indeed.

I really hope The Davies stops trying to do these high-concept-culminating-in-the-kiss-of-life-and-death plot arcs.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net