Author Topic: Looking for FR Books from Evil perspective.  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
Looking for FR Books from Evil perspective.
« on: July 08, 2005, 01:46:04 AM »
I just finished Salvatore's Icewind Dale Trylogy. Due to that next time I play BG I'll kill for the first time the egocentric goody bufoon Drizzt. Also due to that I have a strong urge for a Forgotten Realms book about an evil (or sometimes evil) party... Anyone know any?
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
Re: Looking for FR Books from Evil perspective.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 02:39:00 AM »
The closest you're going to get (of any of the books I've read) is probably the "War of the Spider Queen" (or whatever it's called. One of the books in the series is Dissolution. I think). It has FRs favourite munchkins, the Drow, but they don't seem particularly EVIL. they're like. Nice. but evil. occasionally. Admittedly I haven't read the later books, they might actually do something evil, who knows!
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 09:53:35 AM »
I'm not sure about any actual full length novels, but some of the Forgotten Realms short story anthologies feature stories about evil characters - Realms of Shadow in particular.  I also hear Salvatore is working on a couple of novels exclusively featuring Artemus Entreri and Jarlaxle.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 11:15:04 AM »
Thanx a lot, will look for those definately. :)
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 07:13:46 PM »
The Paths of Darkness trilogy has some large Artemis/Jarlaxle segments, though it also has a lot of Drizzt stuff and it might make more sense to read most of the preceding Drizzt novels first.

The Return of the Archwizards series has some interesting takes on good, evil and cooperation between the two, as does the anthology NiGHTMAE mentioned. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 07:29:57 AM »
Another anthology with short stories about evil characters is Realms of Infamy.  There's also a series of novels called the Priests, each story centering around a priest of a specific deity; three of the current four are about clerics of evil goddesses, namely Loviatar, Shar and Talona.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 08:10:35 AM »
Are those ones you mention any good, NiGHT? Sounds interesting.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 08:21:51 AM »
I haven't actually read any of them myself, I just spotted them whilst browsing Amazon... but yes, they do sound interesting, especially the one about the priest of Shar (Mistress of the Night) :).

Wizards.com have sample chapters for each of them, here.  I'm going to go read them right now ;).

EDIT: it seems Mistress of the Night features the city of Shade, so it should be especially interesting for you, Andyr :).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 08:23:37 AM by NiGHTMARE »

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 07:36:25 PM »
Might have a look and see if I can get hold of a copy. :)