Author Topic: FWP Tribute Day  (Read 8740 times)

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
Re: FWP Tribute Day
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2005, 07:18:41 PM »
A brief recap of just what we're celebrating here: Forgotten Wars (eventually, Forgotten Wars Projects) was originally created in April 2001, ostensibly for the creation of a massive total conversion (TC) mod that would explain the gap between BG1 and BG2. (The Forgotten Wars, you see. Those were the sorts of bold promises people made back in those days, even though produced mods hadn't gone much further than item and spell add-ons, and, of course, Dark Side of the Sword Coast.) Over the next few months the realization that nobody knew how to accomplish such a thing set in, and the site decided to refocus on smaller, more manageable mods. One of the remaining members, who called himself Gorlist, went out to Usenet to try to find people interested in creating some of these. Perhaps someone would want to propose creating... a male romanceable NPC?

Out of that came the start of the Kelsey NPC project (launched in August 2001), and in turn most of the mods you see on the site today. Shortly after the Kelsey project started, the FWP forum found a permanent home on the free gaming community hosting site Telefragged and used the look and feel you now see here for its entire run.

When the vast majority of the mods on FWP moved to the newly formed PPG in March 2004, the remaining mod on FWP reverse-merged into Forgotten Wars Studios, and Studios soon took over the old forgottenwars.net domain with a bit of rebranding. A shell of the old FWP forum (just a couple of the general discussion boards) was kept operational on a secondary URL as a historical artifact until very recently, when nominal administrator Neil Sharp (aka Strider/Wolfmoon/Wolfie/etc.) decided to take it offline. Attempts had been made to rescue it and better preserve it, but they have all been rebuffed by the nominal administrator.

So, FWP is sadly in the bit bucket, but shall not be--if you'll forgive the term--forgotten. Salut!
So much splintering of the community over a couple of people and their unwise decisions. First the Evil Overlord has left us and now the Powerplayer is gone. Now maybe the modding politics can finally die and we all can get back to modding.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline KIrving

• Planewalker
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2005, 09:05:38 PM »
I'm sad I missed the tribute day, I remember FWP fondly.  Still, politics aside, I've enjoyed the nostalgia awakened by this thread. :)
Look at the stars.
Listen to the rain.
Walk backwards.
Talk to a rock.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2005, 09:19:57 PM »
Well, you're only the Profile button away from enjoying your very own private Tribute Day! True, I took down the "vaporware" boards but the discussion threads are still out there.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

SS

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2005, 06:53:03 PM »
So, FWP is sadly in the bit bucket, but shall not be--if you'll forgive the term--forgotten. Salut!
LOL! I like that pun, "forgotten".