Author Topic: EasyTutu: Info, FAQ, Mods, etc.  (Read 75722 times)

Offline ithildur

• Planewalker
Re: EasyTutu: Info, FAQ, Mods, etc.
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 03:29:38 AM »
So, returning to the question regarding Dudleyfixes, if I have my BG1 install fixed with Dudleyfixes, and I install Easytutu,
You have just F'ed you install.
You need to have a clean BG1 and BG2 install for EasyTutu, as the EasyTutu will make the Dudleyfixes to the EasyTutu game, not to the BG1.

If you read the older posts in this thread by Miloch and MacReady's response you'll see that not all of Dudleyville's fixes have been implemented by Easytutu.

I realize the usual instructions for a safe Easytutu install calls for a clean install of both bg1 and bg2, but I thought I'd ask about this anyway - since Easytutu is a more modern mod and uses weidu, likely appending files in the override that it copies over from bg1 and bg2 rather than outright replacing them, or creating it's own versions of the override files, I thought there might be a chance that Easytutu and dudleyfixes might play together nicely.

I haven't started the installation btw, would rather wait until I have an answer/suggestion from Macready or possibly Miloch. Mods like UB for BG1/tutu may also cover *some* of the fixes from Dudleyville so that may be the way to go.

The point is, browsing through Dudleyville's website and documentation, there's a TON of fixes (and tweaks too) that are quite sensible, over 700 changes, that I would install in a normall (non tutu) bg1 game; as excellent of a mod as easytutu is with tons of fixes, I'm guessing there might be at least a few things aside from the lone hobgoblin mentioned above that Easytutu did not implement/fix, and from the sounds of Macready's response, he has no plans to include in any future updates.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 03:32:06 AM by ithildur »

Offline ithildur

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 01:32:48 AM »
Got the reply I was looking for over on the G3 forums, thanks to CMorgan! Looks like for now, pending completion of the project Miloch and others are working on, Unfinished Business will have to do (and it does do a nice job of patching up quite a few things Eastytutu doesn't fix - between the two I would imagine a good portion of Dudleyfixes' work is covered)

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=18824&st=0&gopid=159528&#entry159528

Offline Jarno Mikkola

• The Imp.
  • Planewalker
    • website jocuri
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »
Looks like for now, pending completion of the project Miloch and others are working on, Unfinished Business will have to do
Just do note that it's the UBforBG1 that you need to install, and not the Unfinished Business(for BG2).

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 12:24:25 PM »
Hello -

So, returning to the question regarding Dudleyfixes, if I have my BG1 install fixed with Dudleyfixes, and I install Easytutu,
You have just F'ed you install.
You need to have a clean BG1 and BG2 install for EasyTutu, as the EasyTutu will make the Dudleyfixes to the EasyTutu game, not to the BG1.

Actually most of that is false.  Although I'll only support installations from a clean BG1 / BG2 base, in practice the presence of Dudley fixes probably won't have an adverse effect.  And, EasyTutu does not include Dudley's fixes, although I've certainly done my share of fixing things over the years.

May I suggest you have a look at the FAQ linked in this thread.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline Martha

• Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 06:11:06 AM »
This mod is brilliant and I've enjoyed playing it for quite a while now - recently I've been forced to reinstall and it drove me insane that I couldn't see tosc because I assumed I'd been able to see it before (not as a second option but as it reading "Baldur's Gate - Tales of the Swoardcoast"). Now my game works fine and so does tosc and after reading through the forum I've found that it probably never told me I had tosc installed - could you possibly add a note saying "tosc is included unless you chose not to install it" into the FAQ? Please?   :)

ben

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »
hi, i cant get the links to work for the tutu download, does anyone know an alternative site?

Mike

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »
I am trying to install BG1Tutu, and the page states "For English language users, getting started with BG1Tutu is easy. Simply select "EasyTutu" from the links on the right and follow the instructions given".  Yet the links to the right state "Could not find Section ID!".  Is there a way to get around this?

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »
okay, i'm still somewhat confused.  big surprise!

is tutu v4 essentially more customizable than easytutu?  i understand it's less stable and explicitly not advised for non-non-english-speakers... but!
  i still haven't found any threads where someone actually complains that some crucially nifty bit of either baldurdash or dudley-fixes is unaccounted for by easytutu + bg1ub...  would anyone care to clarify?  admittedly this must be largely due to the fact that such complaints would have taken place years ago and are thus buried a significant depth from my puny search skills...  i see miloch mention that the topic may have been done to death but i am still looking for when/where that occurred...
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 06:47:17 PM »
There are probably some threads around here and G3 that address this, but the differences are the kind of argument that ends up being a waste of time for everyone involved (c.f. "I call x a fix" vs "I call x a tweak"). Tutu v4 allows you to add things to BG and/or BG2, at the cost of potentially  having a messed up game. That being said, some people don't think Gaider's Baldurdash fixes (mostly dialog) are fixes, and they are included in EasyTutu, so v4 still has a non-English and "purist" usage. It also used to be the only way to access The Vault, a formerly pre-Tutu non-weidu mod that did some cool things... But had critical errors that made it tough to complete. The Vault and most other strongly liked mods have now been converted to WeiDu, though I am not sure what The Vault's release status is.

Using v4, you will lose the Journal entries, which no one else successfully managed to fully accomplish, though Andyr had a valiant effort; rebuild of spells into the BG2 system so that they fully work (again, no one else has a good replacement), and almost all of Dudleyville and Baldurdash. In return, you get a choice of whether or not to install Baldurdash GTU, you can pick and choose Dudleyville options, and you can incorporate ancient non-weidu (and weidu - but- completely - override) mods before the conversion.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 12:16:10 AM »
There is one main difference between Tutuv4 and EasyTutu(for English users):
- Tutuv4 takes BG2 directory and changes it into Tutu directory, so you can no longer play BG2(have to install BG2 anew in a different folder). EasyTutu lets you have both Tutu directory and BG2 directory.

Yes, EasyTutu incorporates many dialog.tlk changes and other changes which are subject to the creator's decision, and, personally, I don't care for them, but an average user won't notice much difference.

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 02:22:55 AM »
Yes, EasyTutu incorporates many dialog.tlk changes and other changes which are subject to the creator's decision, and, personally, I don't care for them, but an average user won't notice much difference.

heh... i try to fancy myself a more-discerning-than-'average' user (i tended to be most obsessive about seamless mod grammar & spelling, and the continued development of de'arnise romance, unfinished business and virtue, during my last major lurking period), but the sad fact remains that i have yet to complete a more-than-vanilla playthrough of any installment of BG!  and even though i dabbled in proofreading and playtesting shortly after i started... 'collecting' mods (which at least gave me a feel for the NPC-building work of a few ppgers and g3ers), i still have countless comparisons to pose...
  i would mostly like to blame iwd2 for holding me back at precisely the wrong time, dazzling me with its 'roll-an-entire-3e-party-from-scratch-and-then-plot-out-the-perfect-triple-class-combo-for-each-member' options - even while my soul was starving for diverting sidequests and developing relationships with NPCs (to say nothing of the utterly silent party members)...  if i had ever been a modder in the past i would have thrown all of my dedication into icewind-gate conversion/assimilation, but alas, this was apparently not in the cards.  my biggest weaknesses in any form of gaming are my addictions to starting over and doing nearly anything to avoid The End...
  so, um, yeah.  enough about me - until my next Mood :P

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 02:27:46 AM »
I know the feeling. I started Dragon Age/other games countless times and dropped them to get a "perfect" playthrough.

As for Icewind Dale-in-Baldur's Gate 2 engine, there is a nearly ready one at Gibberlings3. In fact, right now you can play the original campaign without HoW(but with HoW installed, as HoW and TotL are required). Maybe eventually you'll even be able to play IWD2 in BG2 with Domi's IWD2 NPC, who knows! I know I'd like that. :)

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 05:17:07 AM »
As for Icewind Dale-in-Baldur's Gate 2 engine, there is a nearly ready one at Gibberlings3. In fact, right now you can play the original campaign without HoW(but with HoW installed, as HoW and TotL are required). Maybe eventually you'll even be able to play IWD2 in BG2 with Domi's IWD2 NPC, who knows! I know I'd like that. :)

ah, i was confused - i was thinking about converting the BG series to the IWD2 system.  which might be a rather awful idea anyway - my only incentive would be the greater range of classes per character/race, really :)  but i'm definitely curious to try out what you describe... only after i've had a good long BG fix!

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 05:41:43 AM »
Using v4, you will lose the Journal entries, which no one else successfully managed to fully accomplish, though Andyr had a valiant effort; rebuild of spells into the BG2 system so that they fully work (again, no one else has a good replacement), and almost all of Dudleyville and Baldurdash. In return, you get a choice of whether or not to install Baldurdash GTU, you can pick and choose Dudleyville options, and you can incorporate ancient non-weidu (and weidu - but- completely - override) mods before the conversion.

i think i'm beginning to see...  :-\
  is there a comprehensive list of easytutu's mechanics-rebuilding?  (to wit, i just ran through the bg2 fixpack core fixes doc, and, uh, whoa.)
  to clarify: would it help [anyone other than me!] to edit the easytutu page and/or the tutu mod compatibility/install order compilation, to specify that bg2 fixpack is unnecessary or even detrimental to the tutu process?  (i even thought i'd seen relevant mention of it before, but i just re-checked both and can't spot it - quite possibly i was thinking of bg2tweaks, quite possibly i am extremely tired right now :P )

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »
I know the feeling. I started Dragon Age/other games countless times and dropped them to get a "perfect" playthrough.

I doubt it... IWD in BG2 has been a nightmare, but at least there (i) the basic rule system is unchanged, and (ii) the IWD engine is almost straightforwardly less powerful than the BG2 one.

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
http://www.usoutpost31.com/easytutu/changelog.html

That is the closest I have found to a rundown; not as detailed as Ascension64's BGT stuff, but good enough to give you a baseline.

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 12:09:19 PM »
  damn.  i'm never going to learn to mod if i can't get in the habit of digging a little deeper :P
  thanks again...

peishan

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
Hi,
how do I set GameRanger to recognize my BGMain.exe in EasyTutu's folder (BaldursGateTutu)? the program keeps saying invalid selection.

olnorton

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 11:39:17 PM »
The current GOG versions of BG1 & BG2 come with ddrawfix installed.
It modifies the bgmain.exe. Does it need to be uninstalled before installing EasyTutu?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: