Author Topic: IWD1 story?  (Read 2347 times)

Borsook

IWD1 story?
« on: May 28, 2005, 05:46:02 AM »
Hi. I'm a BG fan, recently I've played IWD 2, I loved the interface, fights, difficulty levels that finally do something and some things they managed to do with the engine (Fell Wood)... but I hated the storyline, I was childish (e.g. "Hail enenmy I'll answer all your question and then we shall fight)... I heard somebody meantion that IWD 1 is better in those respects... So could anyone who played through both parts let me know?

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
Re: IWD1 story?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 07:32:47 AM »
IWD1 has plenty of such moments as well, so if you want a strong, well written storyline, I suggest you stick with the two Baldur's Gate games or Planescape Torment instead :).

BTW the enemy who answers a load of questions before the big fight isn't particularly "childish", it's just one of those clichés of the fantasy genre; take almost any fantasy novel or movie, and it will almost certainly feature at least one or two scenes like this.  In fact, the villainous exposition features in plenty of non-fantasy games, books and films as well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 07:36:15 AM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Borsook

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 09:15:21 AM »
Yeah, childish was probably not the best choice of words, simplistic would've been better... I do not mind the cliche as such, but it can be done in a good way and a bad way, IWD II being definetly the latter, there are many ways to do it properly (e.g.the "villain hopes to 'convert' player to his side and thus talks to him if it fails only then does he/she fight)
Coming back to the storyline, are there any twists at least? Or is it "the bad guys want to hurt somebody so you kill them"?

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 09:23:17 AM »
There's a twist in regards to why the bad guys are attacking everyone, but I think that's about it.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Borsook

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 09:37:54 AM »
Well, that's better than I hoped... maybe I'll give it a try...

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 06:03:09 PM »
IWD1 and 2 are dungeon crawls. The storyline is thin in both. I only played IWD1 all the way through after NWN, when my longing for control over a party and assigning skill points became too great. There isn't so much a story as a series of joined quests. Still, I enjoyed IWD1 enough to buy IWD2.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 03:02:05 AM »
I know, I finished IWD2, I don't really mind dungeon crawls with not a lot of the storyline, I do mind the story being badly written...
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 03:02:15 AM »
I thought that both the stories were well written : I liked the characters and dialogue in both.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 07:21:49 AM »
I thought that both the stories were well written : I liked the characters and dialogue in both.

From my personal perspective all "side-quest" stuff was very good but the main-quest stuff... have a look at half-dragon lady conversation at the ice temple...
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 02:51:37 AM »
Yes, but but it was very satisfying to kill her. And the giant insect you had to fight just before you met her was great.
The dialogue of the demons at the end was dodgy as well, but it was a great fight.

I am more prepared to forgive the IWDs their thin story lines and borderline dialogue than NWN. I have to admit bias and bitterness may be clouding my judgement.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 04:47:12 AM »
Yes, but but it was very satisfying to kill her. And the giant insect you had to fight just before you met her was great.
The dialogue of the demons at the end was dodgy as well, but it was a great fight.

I am more prepared to forgive the IWDs their thin story lines and borderline dialogue than NWN. I have to admit bias and bitterness may be clouding my judgement.
Well I never meant to imply that IWD2 is a bad game, the fights are great, settings are very good, many minor conversations are terrific (esp. when you try try use different characters from your party and get different resaults) but... you travell through a lot of places and should anyone ask you why it's hard to say... cause the main plot and especially "talks" with "big bosses" are so badly written... My original inquiry was whether it was the same in IWD1 or better. I started IWD1 since then and I must so that so far it seems better...
PS. I too prefer any IE game to NWN, maybe cause I don't play multiplayer or something...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: