Author Topic: I am interested in any and all criticism!  (Read 14510 times)

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
I am interested in any and all criticism!
« on: May 26, 2005, 04:01:42 PM »
Somebody's firmly demanded that I post something to this effect to prove my manhood, or, uh... something. I forget. Anyway...

Players' thoughts are welcome! Given the growing tension around criticism of mods in some communities (although I haven't noticed any such problems here at PPG), I feel it's worth clarifying that:

- You do not need permission to comment on my mods, although I'd be appreciative if you could inform me if you've posted any off-forum criticism that I haven't seen. That's not to say I need to hear every time somebody says "don't bother playing any of Ding0's mods", but multi-page criticisms of Improved Goodberries, I'd like to read.

- Criticism does not have to be nice. If you really, seriously, hated something I've done, then I'd like to know why. Speak your mind, however negative it may be-- so long as there's some reasoning behind your opinion, that's fine.

- Disagreeing with me is welcome. No decision I make is final, so if you feel you have something to add to an argument, go ahead and post it. I don't guarantee that I'll agree with your proposal, but I'm always ready for a good fresh discussion.

- Argument does not have to take place in private. The forum's here for a reason. Sure, if you're shy or whatever, I'll be just as glad to speak in PM or e-mail, but a public discussion gives more people the opportunity to voice their views, so I encourage this where possible.

I hope that's cleared up any doubts about etiquette here. Thanks to Domi for suggesting this post, and thanks to anybody providing feedback.

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
Re: I am interested in any and all criticism!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 07:34:58 AM »
I'm sorry if this constitutes reverse criticism but I really like Improved Oasis.  I like the chance to be able to talk my way out of carnage (I usually play NG) and I'm not fond of killing innocents.  Nice job, Sim.
"Some say that our destinies may be read in the stars, that the plans of the gods are revealed to those who but know where to look.  They speak it true but their location is false, for I have seen my destiny shining in your eyes" (Anomen, PPG NPC Flirt Pack)

"You know you're tired when you get up from the desk and the headset's still around your neck"

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 07:49:57 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 03:38:06 AM »
I have to disagree. I like the idea behind IO, but I find it far too easy to talk my way out. I realise it would be difficult to accomplish, but I'd be pleased to see a more challenging dialogue, where the PC has to do basically everything right to be able to talk him/herself out of a battle. After all, if the FBI corneres a serial killer, how easy is it for them to convince the officers not to arrest them?

Of course, it'd be even better if, when you convince the soldiers not to kill you, they'd arrest you instead and bring you to Castle Tethyr for judgement. It's probably way outside the scope of this mod, but it'd make sense that the Queen, being the one who gave the order to kill you, would be the only one with the authority to undo that order, being the highest authority in Tethyr.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 07:29:52 AM »
I don't think it's necessarily all that easy to talk your way out of the situation. The majority of paths do actually lead to combat-- in general, you do need to say everything right, but there are simply a lot of alternative right things that you can say. I think it tends to be frustrating when dialogues are enormously difficult to navigate, because it often has me thinking "but I just wouldn't say that!" I'm inclined to think that why IO may be pretty easy to get through with a bit of thought, it's not a total walkover, and most importantly, Tombelthen's reactions are still believable. If you can isolate a particular situation where you think he reacts too positively to something the player says, I'll gladly give it another look.

yarpenAVE

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 01:25:48 PM »
You're a one of the best BG modders! :P In my opinion - really. You're creating very good mods, which give to BG more RPG...

Bu I got a one bug in DEF JAM. If change my start xp, all NPC's got normal Xp.. It's so stupid thing. :) If you can fix it, DEF can be most genial mod :P

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 01:13:35 AM »
I don't think it's necessarily all that easy to talk your way out of the situation. The majority of paths do actually lead to combat-- in general, you do need to say everything right, but there are simply a lot of alternative right things that you can say. I think it tends to be frustrating when dialogues are enormously difficult to navigate, because it often has me thinking "but I just wouldn't say that!" I'm inclined to think that why IO may be pretty easy to get through with a bit of thought, it's not a total walkover, and most importantly, Tombelthen's reactions are still believable. If you can isolate a particular situation where you think he reacts too positively to something the player says, I'll gladly give it another look.
The problem I have with the dialogue is that you can keep trying various possibilities to convince him that you're good. I imagine if you fail to convince him after two or three attempts, he'd think you were just stalling, and proceed with obeying his orders.

And if your PC "just wouldn't say that", he's going to get attacked. You can't win them all, I guess.

It's been a while since I last played IO, but I have a party on its way to Yaga Shura now, so I'll look at more specific ways to improve the dialogue when I'm next there.

Offline Elurin

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 06:50:56 PM »
I really dig the xp mod..

it's nice to know i'm not the only one who is put off by the inordinate amount of experience dished out.

I've been playing with exp set at about 25% of normal  ;)

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 09:40:21 PM »
Tested the Experience Fixer mod in EasyTutu and posted the results here.  Bottom line is it seems to install and function but generates a slew of install errors in the Quest XP Reduction component (log is linked on G3).

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 05:17:07 AM »
Same results here. I just wish Sim returns and patches DefJam, D0Tweaks and Quest Pack...

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 09:38:26 AM »
My main criticism is to the long non-motivated absences from the authors' own Forums (and not really the lack of updates). Of course this doesn't apply to only SimDing0 (unfortunately)... :-\

Offline Lollorian

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 04:36:22 AM »
Heya :) There's a small fix for the tweakpack regarding some of its scripts. Please have a look here. Thanks!

Offline Drelnza

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 07:10:30 AM »
Thanks Lollorian.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: