Author Topic: Improved Oasis II  (Read 20303 times)

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Improved Oasis II
« on: April 01, 2004, 10:22:36 AM »
Improved Oasis II is now a component of Quest Pack and is no longer available as a standalone mod.

The original Improved Oasis (as found in the Tactics mod) was met with critical acclaim:

"I was no more compelled by the Oasis enemies' motivations to attack me now than I was before I installed the mod. It made me suspect that the mod author put only three minutes of work into it and never intended for it to become part of Tactics."
  - Jason Compton

And now Improved Oasis is back, and better than ever...

It always seemed to me that the Oasis was a very limited area, designed only for combat. Jamis Tombelthen's dialog was insultingly small, and there was only one possible outcome: battle. This component expands Jamis Tombelthen's dialog in the Oasis area, to potentially allow for a peaceful solution rather than inevitable conflict. This component will work fine alongside the original Improved Oasis included in the Tactics mod. But you shouldn't have that installed. Really. Please?

PLEASE NOTE that Improved Oasis II does NOT require the original Improved Oasis (as found in the Tactics mod) to work.

As of version 5 of IO2, the combat enhancement of the Oasis makes a triumphant return. Influenced by those who were unhappy with the component included with the Tactics mod, the Oasis combat is now bigger and better
than ever.
Note that this component is entirely optional, and anyone who is interested only in the dialog enhancement need not install the combat changes. It'll overwrite the Improved Oasis in Tactics, but who cares, eh? :)
This component was suggested/designed primarily by SixOfSpades.

Disclaimer: As lighthearted and pathetic as this thread is, the mod itself IS serious and sensibly-written, so any concerns about content not meshing well with the original game may be laid to rest.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 05:50:49 PM by SimDing0™ »

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
Re: Improved Oasis II
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 11:18:06 AM »
Just played through last night. It went well :).  I appreciated the opportunity to have a sensible conversation with the folks there instead of being attacked on sight.  The conversation options were good, and it looked like there was more than one route to a non-violent end (I was too immersed in the quest to replay it to find out for sure) which is a nice touch.

The mages still put up their defenses (mirror image, I think) when I walked by, but no one attacked.
Stop by my blog over at Bookwyrme's Lair, my collection of reviews, pictures, and general ramblings. I also review comics and books over at FanboyNation.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 10:25:55 AM »
Yes, there are quite a number of routes to a non-violent end.

I think the mages continuing to put up protections even when they're not hostile is quite reasonnable. They're still pretty suspicious of you.

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 05:38:20 PM »

I think the mages continuing to put up protections even when they're not hostile is quite reasonnable. They're still pretty suspicious of you.

Makes sense. It was kind've eerie walking by while they quietly powered up their spells.
Stop by my blog over at Bookwyrme's Lair, my collection of reviews, pictures, and general ramblings. I also review comics and books over at FanboyNation.

Edar Macilrille

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 04:25:18 AM »
Hi Sim, I am back (oh the dread, more problems to deal with;-) ), and indeed yes. I cannot install the improved Oasis now that I am reinstalling after a format.

Here is the text, I can email the debug file should you so wish. Just drop me a line, as moderator you can see my e-dress above right?

Best wishes; Palle

Compiling 1 script ...

[oasis/d0hosti.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 28 column 27-27
Near Text: )
        Type mismatch in "ID" argument of [Shout].
        Expecting type "integer".

[oasis/d0hosti.baf]  ERROR at line 28 column 27-27
Near Text: )
        Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [oasis/d0hosti.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: error compiling [oasis/d0hosti.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: compiling [oasis/d0hosti.baf]!
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Improved Oasis II - Dialogue Enhancement], rolling back to pre
vious state
Will uninstall   6 files for [SETUP-OASIS.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled      6 files for [SETUP-OASIS.TP2] component 0.
ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error
PLEASE email the file SETUP-OASIS.DEBUG to SimDing0@hotmail.com
Using Language [English]

Offline Black Robed One

• Gentlemanly Magician and
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 06:02:04 AM »
I have a stupid question to ask of you, Sim-san. If I already have Imp. Oasis from Weimer-san’s Tactics and I am thinking of installing this one. I know that…

This component will work fine alongside the original Improved Oasis included in the Tactics mod. But you shouldn't have that installed. Really. Please?

…And…

PLEASE NOTE that Improved Oasis II does NOT require the original Improved Oasis (as found in the Tactics mod) to work.

…And also…

It'll overwrite the Improved Oasis in Tactics, but who cares, eh? :)

…But I think would like to be certain that no bugs will result if I install Imp. Oasis 2 after installing Weimer-san’s Imp. Oasis? Or it will be better if I uninstall Weimer’s Imp. Oasis (Weimer’s Tactics allows uninstalling components, ne?) before installing Imp. Oasis 2?

Sorry for bothering you with this stupid question, Sim-san, but I just made my heavily moded BG2 to work normally (at least, it seems that way), and I want to avoid adding extra potential bugs as much as possible.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 06:07:36 AM »
I'm absolutely positive you won't get any bugs from installing Improved Oasis 2 over the original. Incidentally, I made the one in Tactics too-- just in case it sounded like I was encouraging people to overwrite Weimer's work.

Have fun!

Offline Black Robed One

• Gentlemanly Magician and
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 06:14:11 AM »
I'm absolutely positive you won't get any bugs from installing Improved Oasis 2 over the original. Incidentally, I made the one in Tactics too-- just in case it sounded like I was encouraging people to overwrite Weimer's work.

Have fun!

Domo arigato gozaimasu, thank you very much, Sim-san!

Offline underdog

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 10:19:39 PM »

Looks like I got some messed up dialogs, and made a few good guesses. :)

http://hbci.com/~jamesp/imp-oasis.jpg
!lanimret siht edisni deppart ma I !pleH

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 11:24:03 AM »
Messed up strings like that are usually a sign of some kind of installation issue. There's not really much I can do about it, I'm afraid. You might try reinstalling the mod, and ensuring neither the game nor any editors are open at the time.

Offline underdog

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 04:42:03 PM »
I use multiple installs, (first itme thats happened there) that far into the game not reloading and starting over, and other then that there hasn't been any other real dialog errors, and it wasn't game stopping anyway. Kind of more a comment of the lucky guessing on what to say and not have a fight.

!lanimret siht edisni deppart ma I !pleH

Kevin Obrian

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »
Improved Oasis II is now a component of Quest Pack and is no longer available as a standalone mod.

The original Improved Oasis (as found in the Tactics mod) was met with critical acclaim:

"I was no more compelled by the Oasis enemies' motivations to attack me now than I was before I installed the mod. It made me suspect that the mod author put only three minutes of work into it and never intended for it to become part of Tactics."
  - Jason Compton

And now Improved Oasis is back, and better than ever...

It always seemed to me that the Oasis was a very limited area, designed only for combat. Jamis Tombelthen's dialog was insultingly small, and there was only one possible outcome: battle. This component expands Jamis Tombelthen's dialog in the Oasis area, to potentially allow for a peaceful solution rather than inevitable conflict. This component will work fine alongside the original Improved Oasis included in the Tactics mod. But you shouldn't have that installed. Really. Please?

As of version 5 of IO2, the combat enhancement of the Oasis makes a triumphant return. Influenced by those who were unhappy with the component included with the Tactics mod, the Oasis combat is now bigger and better
than ever.
Note that this component is entirely optional, and anyone who is interested only in the dialog enhancement need not install the combat changes. It'll overwrite the Improved Oasis in Tactics, but who cares, eh? :)
This component was suggested/designed primarily by SixOfSpades.

Disclaimer: As lighthearted and pathetic as this thread is, the mod itself IS serious and sensibly-written, so any concerns about content not meshing well with the original game may be laid to rest.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: