Author Topic: Orwain and Aric  (Read 3231 times)

Jerrit

Orwain and Aric
« on: April 28, 2005, 07:01:47 PM »
One of Keto's tales refers to two planeswalkers, brother by the names of Orwain and Aric.  They have a rivalry which turns into a war, and Aric brings in a bunch of horrible, demonic beings to fight on his side.  In the end, Aric dies, destroying his own army to protect his homeland.

It's not an exact parallel by far, but it is close enough to raise an eyebrow: is Keto telling a blurred recount of The Brother's War, out of the Magic: The Gathering universe?  o.o'

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Orwain and Aric
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:08:19 PM »
Nope. She's telling the first two books of Zelazny's Amber books, greatly abridged. :) So shameless am I, I barely changed the names (Corwin and Eric.) But shhh, don't tell anybody.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Jerrit

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 07:25:50 PM »
Ah, okay.   ;D  *sneaks off to track down books and read them*

:pirate

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 07:31:01 PM »
The Great Book of Amber is one of the best values in fantasy reading you'll ever encounter. Should be under $20 from any decent bookseller and even though the second half of the 10 books are a drop-off in quality... it's still good stuff.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline underdog

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 12:14:39 PM »
Doh, and I read them, albiet 15+years ago, didn't recognize the story though.
!lanimret siht edisni deppart ma I !pleH

Offline tatterdemalion

• Planewalker
Re: Orwain and Aric (Oh, god, YES!)
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 06:10:13 AM »
When she got to the part about the death curse, I grabbed my spouse and shared the joy.  The Chronicles of Amber are my desert island books, man.  And this is SUCH a perfect retelling -- seamlessly fits into BG2 as well.  Thank you. :-)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: