Author Topic: instalation problem: BG2 freezing when loading starting area  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Lemernis

• Planewalker
I've followed the instructions at for installing BG1Tutu to a tee (well, we'll see I guess  ;)), and I've run into a problem.

At step 9, when I try to run BG2 the game freezes after character creation, when it's trying to load the starting area screen to begin the game. It gets hung there, and I end up having to reboot the computer in order to get out.

I've barely played BG2/ToB it's not like the disks are worn. BG2/ToB ran for me in the past (though my OS at the time was WinME, and it is now Win XP Pro).

I installed BG1/ToSC and BGII/ToB, both patched with the appropriate Bioware patches (BGTalesUS5512 and BGTalesDX8English; BGII-ThroneofBhaal_Patch_26498_ENGLISH) I extracted bg1tutu_v4.exe to the BG2 folder, and edited BG1tutu's configuration file as directed (i.e., according to the correct paths on my computer). I'm running DirectX9.  BG1/ToSC runs okay. 

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 05:20:31 AM by Lemernis »

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: instalation problem: BG2 freezing when loading starting area
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 12:10:17 AM »
You could try running it without the fixpack to see if that's the cause.  If it is, then at that point you should make a backup of your override folder and dialog.tlk file, and install each Tutufix component one by one until you isolate the one that causes the problem.  Then uninstall that one, if it's one you can live without.

If it isn't (hint: The Core Fixes aren't a component you should live without), then you'll have to wait for us to get a fix out, which might be a while since I have absolutely no clue as to why Tutu should be crashing for anyone with TotSC these days.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Lemernis

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 05:09:45 AM »
Btw, I haven't run Tutufix because that instructions don't call for it at this stage.  I'm at step 9) which is "Run both BG1 and BG2 once, if you've just installed them.  This will populate their configuration (baldur.ini) files, which Tutu requires." 

Should I try running Tutufix now at this stage?  Or should I proceed with the next steps, 10 and 11: "Double-click bg1tutu.exe (it will be in your BGII directory) and let it run. Just follow along after this and make whichever choices you wish."  According to the instructions, then I would run Tutufix.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 10:00:24 AM »
Oh.  So you haven't run the Tutu converter at all?  In that case it's not us at all.  I suggest checking the BioWare site for troubleshooting info, or in the Mods and Mod Discussion forum we have a sticky with troubleshooting tips.  Check that out.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Lemernis

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 04:27:43 PM »
Okay, right.  I haven't run the .exe file yet but i guess there's nothing in the bg1tutu folder that will be in use until I run that app.  Thanks, I'll check on the Bioware forums as to what might be the problem.  I tried running BG2 with the firewall down, so that doesn't seem to be it...   

Offline Lemernis

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 05:55:49 AM »
Evidently BG2 isn't compatible with the latest NVidia driver for WinXP as of this writing, version 71.89.  I had to install an earlier NVidia driver, version 66.93.  BG2 does work with that video card driver.

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:42:01 PM »
Evidently BG2 isn't compatible with the latest NVidia driver for WinXP as of this writing, version 71.89.  I had to install an earlier NVidia driver, version 66.93.  BG2 does work with that video card driver.

You 100% on that?  I heard you could manually change the refresh rate of the game to that of the monitor to get it to work.

Offline Lemernis

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 11:00:03 PM »
Nope, not 100% sure.  I didn't try that solution, and what you suggest there may work. 

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 03:35:07 PM »
Ok this is what I've found out so far (testing on my own comp) . . .
The nVidia drivers will allow you to run BG2, but not BGTutu (I haven't tried the monitor thing yet).  The nVidia drivers will also make BG2 fail the 3d Acceleration Config test (but it will run it fine ingame - just lie to the computer).

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 11:11:31 AM »
Is this problem going to be addressed, even just in the next README version?

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 11:18:15 AM »
I just installed the latest nVidia drivers and tried loading a saved game, and it worked.  Can you report more precisely what exactly causes this freeze?
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 03:00:42 PM »
I just installed the latest nVidia drivers and tried loading a saved game, and it worked.  Can you report more precisely what exactly causes this freeze?

Wait, try starting a new game with a completely new character.  I had the exact same problem this guy had and I was running a computer with XP Home, all Windows updates up to SP2, DX9, and the latest nVidia drivers (on a GeForce 4 Ti4200).  Eventually I just installed BGTutu on a machine with a fresh pre-SP1 XP Home and no video card.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 11:24:44 AM »
Just tried a new game, and it works fine.  I even tried tinkering with the display frequency setting in baldur.ini.

My desktop displays at 85 Hz, and Tutu was originally set to 60 Hz.  Setting it to 85 in baldur.ini still resulted in the game working fine.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 11:26:58 AM by Ghreyfain »
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 11:15:13 AM »
Just tried a new game, and it works fine.  I even tried tinkering with the display frequency setting in baldur.ini.

My desktop displays at 85 Hz, and Tutu was originally set to 60 Hz.  Setting it to 85 in baldur.ini still resulted in the game working fine.

Are you running Windows XP?  If so what updates did you have installed?

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 11:18:35 AM »
Yeah, XP Pro with SP2 and... uh, well, I thought the most recent updates, but it's trying to update automatically as we speak, although I rather doubt that'd have any effect on this problem.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »
Hmm, maybe service pack 2 fixes the problem . . . I was running XP Home with all updates up to SP2 (but not including SP2, because SP2 sucks something major).

Offline Rhodry

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 02:20:04 AM »
i have this problem too it freezes after i click done for the prologe intro :/ i know BG2 works cause i already tried it before i did anything with tutu, im using winxp but no service packs, i can here the background sound and i think i can move when i click but i can't see anything but the prologue screen..

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 11:09:51 AM »
What resolution did you set the game to?  Is 3d acceleration enabled?  Try tinkering with those options a bit.
Earn Money Sleeping.

theHegemon

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2005, 02:18:36 PM »
Same problem here.

Windows 2k
rolled back my drivers to 69.93, and the pre-BGtutu install bgII worked. Installed BGII tutu, and it stopped working. Tried using tutufix and it didint' help. The game actually responds if you click, but the screen itself remains on the loading stage.

TheHegem0n

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2005, 02:47:18 PM »
ah, i found a fix through my magnificent pseudo logic.
Since BGII required a roll back a good amount of versions, and all BGII problems are exponentially worse in BG1tutu, i rolled the version back exponentially! (45.33 DOES work) Then reboot.

i would wish for a better fix, this is an ancient version.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: