Author Topic: Comments on "Unborn Idol"  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
Comments on "Unborn Idol"
« on: April 23, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »
I am really enjoying this story. I like the way Albeth is presented as having no particular expertise, and how you have woven in hints of a mysterious background. I will be seriously disappointed if Odhran dies. I was won over at "raffish". The evil woman was positively chilling.

As this is a serial, I will post the questions I have and wait for the answers in the story as it unfolds.
- Is the title a hint that there will be a bad joke about "American/Australian/Danish etc Idol" before the ultimate end? (I think Bons quite likes the odd bad joke in her titles.)
- Is the evil woman Bodhi?
- Why did Albeth's guardians let her go off travelling alone? Surely someone so inexperienced could only expect to wind up dead or nearly in the first couple of hours.
- What characteristics/abilities does Albeth have to give TomTom confidence that she will survive his adventure? Why will Odhran take on someone so green? Is feistiness really enough?
- Does TomTom know something about Albeth that she doesn't? And how did he find out? He's not going to be omniscient, is he?

If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: Comments on "Unborn Idol"
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 07:20:16 PM »
Please to be marking any answers to some of those questions with suitable spoiler warnings.  Not that I admit to having read any of this, or the story.  I deny it all.  You never saw me here.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
Re: Comments on "Unborn Idol"
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 08:31:07 PM »
I will be seriously disappointed if Odhran dies. I was won over at "raffish".

"Raffish" is a magical word. It's somehow sexy and alluring, even though it might just mean the guy looks like a scruffy bum who can burp the theme song to "Bonanza." :D

- Is the title a hint that there will be a bad joke about "American/Australian/Danish etc Idol" before the ultimate end? (I think Bons quite likes the odd bad joke in her titles.)

Nope, not a bad joke, just a bad title. It's the only thing I came up with that fit with more than one level of the story as it stands, and the regrettable association did not occur to me until I went to post today's installment. I'm kind of having a morning-after PeePee Mods moment.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

&

G
H
R
E
Y
F
A
I
N

- Is the evil woman Bodhi?

Nope.

- Does TomTom know something about Albeth that she doesn't? And how did he find out? He's not going to be omniscient, is he?

Tomtom isn't omniscient, not in an OMG-superpowers! sort of way. That's worth clarifying. :) He's like a wise old grumpy-snuggle, has seen his share of adventurers so he has strong instincts based on experience. He'll say stuff like "I have a ken about these things," but it's no more valid than a grandparent saying, "Listen to me, you little whippersnapper!"

D
I
D
N
'
T

R
E
A
D

T
H
I
S

- Why did Albeth's guardians let her go off travelling alone? Surely someone so inexperienced could only expect to wind up dead or nearly in the first couple of hours.
- What characteristics/abilities does Albeth have to give TomTom confidence that she will survive his adventure? Why will Odhran take on someone so green? Is feistiness really enough?

All of these questions/answers come up in some fashion, some of them in the next part, so I'm not spoiling it.

Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: