Author Topic: Bug Reports v1.00  (Read 13254 times)

Offline Galactygon

• Modding since 2002
  • Planewalker
  • Creator of spells
Bug Reports v1.00
« on: April 23, 2005, 10:39:01 AM »
We could start a "bug reports" thread, so here we have a few bugs I have found:

1.) If I escape from the line of sight from enemies, I am not pursued, nor do they wander about in groups.
2.) Strength of One doesn't do anything
3.) I could cast spells between chant intervals, if the casting time is low enough.
4.) Spellcasting sets your dexterity to 14 rather than 1

I have discussed some of these with Echon in PM, but I have posted them to prevent others from posting a single bug over and over again.

-Galactygon

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: Bug Reports
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 11:44:09 AM »
And to clear things up:

1) Not a bug as the feature has been removed.
2) It does if you do not interrupt the character. I intend to make it impossible to do so, however.
3) This is a bug and will be dealt with.
4) This is intentional and not a bug.

-Echon

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 12:01:35 PM »
What if your dexterity is below 14?

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 12:08:01 PM »
Then it is increased to 14, but having a dexterity score of 14 grants no bonuses or penalties.

-Echon

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 12:09:46 PM »
I'm not sure spellcasting increasing dexterity really makes much sense. Perhaps it would be a little more logical to have it decreased by a certain value, rather than set. Except then spellcasting would probably chunk some people. Which might seem funny, but.

(Alternatively, if there's no difference in bonuses between 1/2/3 and 14, why not set it to 1/2/3 so that it always looks like it's decreasing/staying the same?)

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 12:18:05 PM »
I did not say there is no difference between 1 and 14. When you 6 or lower, you start to get penalties to AC and ranged attacks. They are not supposed to suffer penalties, they should just lose any bonuses they might have.

-Echon

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 12:19:38 PM »
But they'll also lose any penalties they might have...

LoOk

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 12:30:55 PM »
Don't know if you read it in the other topic but did you get my bug report of the detonation arrows?
They do the phase spider thingy rather than exploding into a fireball :) .

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 12:42:13 PM »
Maybe they're translocation arrows which have been given the wrong name?
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Galactygon

• Modding since 2002
  • Planewalker
  • Creator of spells
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 01:19:52 PM »
2 more bugs:

1.) Branwen's Spiritual Hammer doesn't work, has a "command" icon, and is listed in the spells section rather than the innates section
2.) There is an odd invisible item called "Personal Item" that I find hanging out at one of the shelves in the mage's tent in the Nashkell Carnivals.

-Galactygon

Offline Nerik

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 02:30:24 PM »
With reference to the Spellcasting reducing Dexterity thing, IIRC this was an issule in PnP as well, and the final solution was that Spellcasting removed dexterity bonus but not penalties. Not toally satisfactory if you think about it, and I'm not sure if this could be easily implimented in BG either.

Charles

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 02:53:06 PM »
Nightmare: No, they should be Arrows of Detonation. The spellcasting bit is part of an experiment I forgot to remove.

Galactygon:

1) I will have a look at it.
2) That invisible item is generated by the game when a call for random treasure ends up at a blank slot. Do not pick it up.

-Echon

Grog

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 03:27:27 PM »
The spell Grease uses the icons for 'Armor'

Grog

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 03:29:21 PM »
Scratch that.  Armor uses the name / description text for Grease.  Sorry

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 03:59:06 PM »
Yet another TP2 error. It will be fixed.

-Echon

Grog

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 05:06:31 PM »
Protection From Evil (Paladin Innate) has its spell name listed as the description for the potion of fire resistance.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 05:30:02 PM »
Grog: I am starting to see a pattern here. I will have a look at the TP2 to find all these errors. A patch should probably be ready tomorrow or monday.

Galactygon: Branwen's Spiritual Hammers are correct on my install. I would appreciate it if somebody could have Branwen join the party just to see if the bug can be duplicated.

Look: Yeah, I saw it.

Sim: True. Another problem is that even though a spell is disrupted, the dexterity change lasts for the full casting time. I am in doubt as to whether this feature is worth keeping.

-Echon
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 05:35:10 PM by Echon »

Offline Galactygon

• Modding since 2002
  • Planewalker
  • Creator of spells
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 07:37:26 PM »
Galactygon: Branwen's Spiritual Hammers are correct on my install. I would appreciate it if somebody could have Branwen join the party just to see if the bug can be duplicated.
Branwen just leveled up, and she got her correct spiritual hammer back. :) It happens when she joins the party and has not yet leveled up.

This is not only true for Branwen's Spiritual hammer, but also for Dynaheir's slow poison ability, and (I suspect) every single NPC that has a special ability.

-Galactygon

Salk

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 02:15:49 AM »
Sim: True. Another problem is that even though a spell is disrupted, the dexterity change lasts for the full casting time. I am in doubt as to whether this feature is worth keeping.

-Echon

I definetely think it's worth keeping it because realistic/consistent...If possible though, I'd strongly suggest to reduce, under casting time, the Dexterity value of a fixed amount of points. This must be easy to do. If, after the subtraction, Dexterity provides a penalty then it's all okay and very coherent: the casting should decrease Dexterity of the caster. If it does by making him lose bonuses OR getting penalties then it's perfectly right. And also I find it right that the penalty effects last for the whole casting time because an interrupted spell leaves reasonably the caster somewhat confused and the longer the praparation of the spell is, the longer this status lasts. Very logic and coherent!

So no more Dexterity set to 14 but Dexterity dropping of (I'd suggest) 4 points. Hope you will pick up this advice, Echon...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 02:17:46 AM by Salk »

Salk

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 02:20:28 AM »
1.) If I escape from the line of sight from enemies, I am not pursued, nor do they wander about in groups.
-Galactygon

Why has this feature being removed ? It sounds like a very important one...

LoOk

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2005, 03:41:51 AM »
Is the download fixed again Echon or are you going to release a different patch? And will that patch will be compatible with a running game :) ?
Hate to do everything again. Usually destroys my interest in a game (With BG1 for a month, but bleh.. :p )

Edit: Don't know if this is a part of the TP2 bug, but I was testing ray of enfeeblement and on the character record page you got the icon, but not "enfeebled" or something next to it. You got the description of shillelagh. Don't know if this is important anymore since you're fixing the TP2 anyways.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 04:21:13 AM by LoOk »

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2005, 05:03:55 AM »
Salk: It slowed down the AI considerably.

Look: I intend to update the full package and release a seperate patch so you do not have to download 10 MB again. And you should not have to start a new game. Oh, and that certainly is another TP2 error. Way too many of those.

-Echon

Salk

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2005, 06:18:53 AM »
I undestand that a slow AI might be a problem...Too bad because an active search of the enemy would bring the AI to a much higher level.

What about the Dexterity malus when casting then ? What do you think of my suggestion ?  :)

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2005, 06:22:57 AM »
I have not made a decision regarding dexterity yet although I want it to be exactly like Nerik described it as that is the way it is supposed to be in P&P.

-Echon

Salk

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2005, 08:51:57 AM »
Not always P&P rules are satisfactory/consistent like Nerik himself pointed out in his own post. Spellcasting hindring dexterity is logical and reasonable. How to express this best ? Not certainly by changing the Dexterity attribute to a fixed number (14). A character with low Dexterity should *still* suffer a penalty for casting a spell. To raise its Dexterity under casting is not coherent with the initial purpouse.

Sometimes we can change rules to make the gaming experience better...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: