Author Topic: The Fields of the Dead has been released  (Read 7690 times)

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
The Fields of the Dead has been released
« on: April 22, 2005, 03:32:05 PM »
The Fields of the Dead, a mod for Baldur's Gate - Tales of the Sword Coast, has finally been released.

The primary aim of this mod is to correct as many aspects of the game as possible according to AD&D 2E rules. This affects the NPCs, creatures, items, spells and rules of the game. Engine limitations prevent some of these rules from being implemented, however.

The AI of the entire game has been given a massive overhaul in order to increase the difficulty and the AI no longer cheats. Specifically, enemy NPCs use unique scripts instead a few shared scripts. As the XP cap has been raised, a couple of fights towards the end of the game have been made harder to provide a challenge for the party.

This mod also features new content in addition to changes to the existing game. New spells for wizards and priests, new magical and mundane items, and new creatures are all fully integrated into the game. There are new unique magical items as well as a range of new potions and ammunition. Prepare to wear gloves of thievery, shoot bullets of lightning and drink potions of superior healing. The enemies you meet will make use of the new spells and items and you should expect to encounter new creatures in the existing areas. Note that while the selection of magical items has increased the amount of magical items has decreased.

Although the quests and the plot of the game remain the same the environment has undergone some changes to prevent metagaming. Expect traps to be relocated, new traps where none were before, magical items to appear in different parts of the game and so forth.

Finally, the mod adds a new area to the worldmap. It can be visited at any time like the other wilderness areas but is geared towards an experienced party. You should expect a challenge.

Tales of the Sword Coast and TotSC Patch 5512 are required to play this mod.
http://www.bioware.com/games/tales_sword_coast/support/patches/

FotD site: http://www.pocketplane.net/fotd
Forum: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?board=54.0

-Echon

Salk

Re: The Fields of the Dead has been released
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 03:51:52 PM »
A milestone has been set, Echon! My sincerest compliments! Please know that you are a real hero for me! Thanks!  ;)

Offline Belanos

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 09:01:15 PM »
Have you been in touch with anyone yet about making it Tutu compatible? It sounded like Andyr was interested in giving you a hand if you wanted it. It would be really nice to have work with the convervsion.

Salk

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 12:24:42 AM »
Belanos: This is my main concern as well and I have privately written to Andyr. He says he'd be interested himself about making this project compatible with TuTu in the future!  ;) Andyr is very busy though so I don' know how long it might take...About Echon, he said several time that making it TuTu compatible is not one of his priorities and that in the future he will just try and fix bugs and give support before pulling out the wire from the modding scene for a time. I am sure he has taken a giant step ahead already but I know he will improve this Mods in the future completing those aspect that, for time reason, could not make it in Version 1.00!

Offline Worrow

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 12:39:54 AM »
Finally, the mod I was waiting for  :D.  I will try it once the DSotSC weidu version is released.

Ooops, just find out DSotSC weidu version has already released!!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 12:42:56 AM by Worrow »

Offline Mageling

• Lord of Murder
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 02:18:24 AM »
Congratulations, Echon.
Downloading it now, can't wait to play. :)
(http://img57.exs.cx/img57/8242/Killuasig.jpg)

Offline Slumlord

• Cheese Pants King
  • Planewalker
  • Happy Christmas an' Merry New Year to ya!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 02:19:36 AM »
Total classic.  I'm probably one of the few people who like BG1 just the way it is and I was glad to hear that this mod was for a non TuTu version of BG1.  Kick ass!
Check it out my friend!  Bling-bling!

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 02:39:32 AM »
To address the Tutu question:

The Fields of the Dead would become compatible with Tutu if the Tutu Fixpack was altered to patch all its changes instead of overwriting files. It is not a matter of changing anything in the Fields of the Dead.

-Echon

Salk

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 03:00:37 AM »
Very interesting, Echon. So what is needed is just to change the behaviour of TuTu Fixpacks from overwriting to patching. I am no expert...Is it a huge job to do ?

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 03:03:20 AM »
I do not know. You would have to ask the Tutu support team.

-Echon

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 04:07:29 AM »
The Fields of the Dead would become compatible with Tutu if the Tutu Fixpack was altered to patch all its changes instead of overwriting files. It is not a matter of changing anything in the Fields of the Dead.
Up to a point, yes. But don't forget that if a version for Tutu were specially developed, basically all the Known Issues would probably go away. :)

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 04:23:55 AM »
Would it be necessary to have a seperate release for Tutu? I think it would be ideal to have only one package which the player can then install on BG:TotSC or install before running the Tutu conversion.

-Echon

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 04:26:45 AM »
Yeh, you can do a load of ACTION_IF stuff to have the installer work on either BG1 or Tutu. It probably won't bump the filesize up by much because you don't need to duplicate tilesets or anything.

LoOk

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 05:24:46 AM »
It's is a very cool mod indeed! The different armors and weapons are done great, but somehow (almost) all the arrows have names of scrolls and potions in my game (the description however is correct).. Well, it was an install I made last week so maybe something is just wrong with my install. I'm reinstalling the game and stuff as I speak. :)

Offline Spif

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 05:51:07 AM »
YAY!  :D

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 06:14:46 AM »
Look: It is due to an error in the TP2 that does not apply to any other items. I have fixed it and the mod has been re-uploaded.

I urge everyone who has downloaded the mod to do so again. Sorry about this.

-Echon

LoOk

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 07:31:40 AM »
Ah thanks. I was wondering why it happened again. Installed the game again without Baldurdash and Dudley. Thought my cd's were broken. But it's good to hear that I do not have to edit every single arrow with Near Infinity :) .

BTW: I forgot to mention that the Arrows of Detonation didn't detonate quite well.. You just get teleported near your target just like Phase Spiders do. Don't know if that's a bug, but it happened to me when I was testing the arrows (they now all have correct names) but the Arrows of Detonation still do that strange thingy :) .
Doensn't matter anyway, because untill I finally get my hands upon them this bug will likely already be dealt with :) .
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 07:49:58 AM by LoOk »

Salk

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 08:14:31 AM »
Oh what a satisfaction to see this Mod climb up to the "Completed MOD" section!!!  :D

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 02:53:46 PM »
Salk: Indeed. :)

-Echon

Offline Windwalker

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 03:56:45 AM »
Echon, I would like to ask you about the font used in the logo. Is it some particular font you forged into a logo looking like the BG letters, or a composition of edited BG letters from the BG1 logo?

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2005, 04:03:30 AM »
I used American Uncial (ameriunc.ttf).

-Echon

Offline Windwalker

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2005, 04:47:52 AM »
Thank you for your quick reply.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: