Author Topic: Minsc quest bugs - UB v12 onwards  (Read 104279 times)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: Bug reports - v15
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2007, 04:27:44 AM »
I found a game  bug last night, and I cant get around it.  At the end of the stolen Boo quest, (almost the end) where I get to the Government distrect and walk up to talk to the woman ( who bought boo) I get a blue screen which says somthing about a disk error or needing disk one and then crashes.  I have done a compleat 100% full install of all the cds and everything is on the hard drive, and even when I try putting the other cd in it dose not help.  I have never seen this before, the blue screen is pretty quick so it is hard for me to read it that fast. Here is a copy of my WieDU file:

Your weidu.log looks ok. That sort of error suggests a creature/item file or similar might be corrupted--I don't think anyone else has had this problem, so this could be an error with a corrupted file on just your machine. I'm away from my game at the moment, but I would suggest trying to CLUA in the woman (being away from the game means I don't know the code, offhand) and see if thaqt crashes the game. That'd help narrow it down.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2007, 04:31:01 AM »
The Minsc/Boo component seems to be it. :) Cliffette was going to revert to a (bugfixed) older version of it for the next release, but I've not heard from her in a while (and, indeed, I've not been around in a while).
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2007, 02:03:42 PM »
use version 14 for preferred Minsc/Boo component.
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline Marauder

• BGI fanboy and
  • Planewalker
  • Viking
    • Order of the Stick
Re: Uninstalled Boo Quest
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »
I compare with his strength and Thac0 before the Booquest. He is L11 in both instances, his THAC0 goes down -6, it should go down -1 I believe for the strength increase from 18/93 to 19.

When he looses Boo, his str ~12, and when the quest is completed, he gets boosted to 19. There is quite a difference.
(http://i16.tinypic.com/2a6lgg9.gif)

Offline Lasivern

• Awful/Evil Monk
  • Planewalker
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2007, 11:14:26 PM »
So it's been about 7 or 8 monthsd now since the topic was raised - has there been any progress on getting rid of the huge [and IMO undeserved] THAC0 boost Minsc gets for finding his Boo?

The quest is entertaining and fun, and getting a bump from 18/93 to 19 strength is acceptable, but the other five levels worth of THAC0 boost he gets just err... grates.  And yes I know someone can always just SK his THAC0 back to what it should be, but given UB's overall excellence, it seems wrong to have to rely on people using a cheat program to "fix" a mod...   :(

So, will this be fixed, or is it actually intended that he get a 15th lvl Ranger's THAC0 [ignoring Str here] when at 10th lvl?

John

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2007, 11:11:57 PM »
I have installed both BG Fixpack V3 and Unfinished Business including "restore minor diialogues" and "Kidnapping Boo".  The unkillable trolls bug is still present.  FWIW, one of the other mods had a component called "streamlined trolls" which I have installed also.

I downloaded the patch AR1900.bcs dated 11/??/06 posted in thread about the unkillable trolls.  Will using that patch conflict with other mod revised since then?

Thanks.

Offline Ayce

• Planewalker
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2007, 05:17:47 PM »
Ok, this is a whole new bug, unrelated to test references, it specifically has to do with the Boo Kidnapping quest.

When you get Minsc back, he has strength 19.  At first I thought this intentional, then I noticed his strength-bonus was still 93 when I opened up a savegame with shadowkeeper.

I also noticed his THAC0 was arbitraily set to 7, when in fact he was only 9th level (Thaco 12).

BTW, what is the boolet spell?  I can't discern any advantage to it other than it summons a target to distract creatures from attacking you so you can pound 'em with spells and missles.   Surely Minsc would have a problem with using boolets in such a way.  Otherwise, I can't see that they have any offensive capability, or spells or anything.  Just curious as to what I've been missing.

Charriu

« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2007, 03:25:20 PM »
Hi,

I had a problem in the "Missing Boo" Quest. At some point I was teleported to the druids grove and had to fight three Trolls. I could kill two of them bat the last one wouldn't die (and I think he should, cause he took over 200 or more damage in the whole). So this troll just started to kill Minsc and Minsc left my party. And as soon as he left I was able to kill the troll. I think this is a bug. In case you wanna know, I'm using the latest version of UB.

Bye Charriu

Charriu

« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2007, 03:29:40 PM »
Hey,

Sorry forget my last post. I just to noticed that there's a patch.

Offline Burnside

• Planewalker
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »
Um...I kind of feel like the Druid Grove is not a very good choice for the teleport location in the Boo Quest, unkillable Troll issues aside. It's VERY possible to get the Boo Quest before you've visited Trademeet or even been given the Trademeet Quest. Being in the Druid Grove before you know anything about Trademeet can cause all sorts of weirdness, including the Druid who spawns in the grove to try to dissuade you from completing a quest you may not actually be on.

As an alternate, can I suggest the party is instead teleported to the weird fungus room in the sewers connecting the Copper Coronet to the Slaver Ship? You know, the one with the minotaur fighting the myconids? It would create the same "where the hell are we" vibe without having any chance of messing up in-game continuity.

Offline Capreolus

• Planewalker
Kidnapping of Boo - Avoiding going to the Druid Grove
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »
Hey all. I'm halfway through the Kidnapping of Boo quest, and like many gamers before me I have found the trio of unkillable trolls in the Druid Grove. Now I do know about the patch which fixes it, but I was wondering if there was a way of avoiding having to go to the Druids' Grove at all. I'm sure I've read on various forums about people who've not been to the Druid Grove *at all* while doing this quest, and I'm curious as to whether there is a given conversation thread while talking with the halfling, or something of that ilk, which removes the need to go to the Grove.

I ask because in my game I have not as yet done the "Hero of Trademeet" series of quests, and so when I go to the grove I'm causing myself a minor continuity error when Druids start turning up and talking to me, not to mention the journal entries for a quest I've not had yet. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated :-).

~~Capreolus

Offline Capreolus

• Planewalker
Re: Kidnapping of Boo - Avoiding going to the Druid Grove
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2008, 01:24:13 PM »
Hmm, upon further reading around the subject, it appears that the people who haven't been to the Druid Grove have all been using UBv14, which doesn't take you there at all. Is there a way to manually (i.e. by messing with my Override folder or something like that) changing the Minsc quest to behave like UBv14? And does anyone know where the necessary files can be found?

Many thanks in advance, and sorry for being such a helpless child at this :-p,

~~Capreolus

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »
There are fixes available for this, but it takes a fair amount of editing. If you browse this forum, you'll see a number of threads connected to the fix.

Offline Capreolus

• Planewalker
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2008, 03:12:27 AM »
Hey berelinde, thanks for the reply. I've pretty much read through the entire UB forum now, and can't find anyone that's tried to do what I'm looking at doing, although I have found people bemoaning the fact that the halfling store owner sends you to a quest-related area, which is my problem. Maybe my solution's just a bit off-kilter. Aah well.

I'm nothing like proficient enough an editor to think about writing my own fix for this, and I don't like asking other people to do my work for me, so I may just uninstall the Boo subquest with UB15 and reinstall it from UB14 (that will work, right? Can't think why not...). If anyone else thinks it's a good and elegant solution to two different issues to remove the Druid Grove part entirely (it'd be easy to just have the storeowner send them to the Government District like he intended... I just don't know how to implement it) and wants to have a go, good for you and please let me know :-).

Much love and thanks,

~~Capreolus

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2008, 06:36:08 AM »
Oh wow, I didn't even think about reporting this, I just casted Haste and made a run for it after my first failed attempt.

merlac

« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2008, 09:26:30 AM »
Not sure if it's already been mentioned here, but if you've already bought a licence to practise magic in Athkatla and then finish the kidnapping of Boo the appearing cowled wizards say something about a refund, explicitly tell you you'll get 1000 gp (which is a rip-off in itself, but that's another story) but then you only get 100 gp. So I'd say someone lost a 0 somewhere along the line  ;)

Offline ElfBane

• Planewalker
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »
I have to chime in and say that, uh, I really think this could use fixing sooner rather than later. UB is a pretty premiere mod, and finding people all over the place who are having the same problem really isn't looking good. It doesn't take Cliffette to just fix the unkillable trolls.

I bumped this intentionally because I like SimDing0's attitude. If it's worth doing, it should be done right. Now for my 2 cents.......What was the REASON for the teleport to the Troll Mound? Just to make the quest a little harder? This mini-quest is hard enough because of the strict dialog choices,,,,if you want the "boolets". So maybe this quest won't be fully formed or 'dramatic' ,, but it's at least back in the game. So let's just have Smethy send us to the government district, OK?

Offline ElfBane

• Planewalker
Re: Minsc quest bugs - UB v12 onwards
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2008, 08:38:51 AM »
BTW, cliffette's last post in this forum was AUG21, 2006. It's probably safe to say he/she has abandoned 'Kidnapping of Boo' component of UB. So, perhaps, another,,,,,,less tasked Modder, could adopt it?

Offline Helen Baq

• Planewalker
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2008, 02:24:12 AM »
I know this topic is a little old, and Cliffette seems to be busy and without a computer, but here's a bug I haven't seen reported. I assume it's because everyone hates Aerie and doesn't have her in the party, but you can't complete the Boo quest with her in your group! If you don't have Nalia in your group, when it comes time for her line, it shows Aerie instead and it says something like "I stand here looking helpless and innocent and that seems to be ok with me."  ??? Anyway, what happens is you get the first two riddles, then she asks her third question. Minsc pitches in, Nalia pitches in (if she's in the party) and then... nothing. If you try to talk to her again, it just goes through the last question again, but you never get a chance to respond. This had me baffled until I finally replaced Aerie with Jan, then everything went fine! I know Aerie can be a wretched beast, but perhaps you should be able to finish the quest without kicking her out.  ;)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »
We're trying to locate someone to take over UB maintenance.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2008, 12:42:11 AM »
I do hope you can find someone.

I thought that Icelus was already half way with v17, having collected quite some UB tp2 code from Nythrun but I guess it was not enough...

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #146 on: April 15, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »
Hopefully these bugs are fixed in v18, so I'll unpin the thread.

MacKotek

« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »
I managed to get to Eleanya, but when the last riddle triggers, and Minsc and Nalia cut in, the conversation ends abruptly. I can pick up from that place, but it happens again. I'll try reloading to pre-quest save. Maybe that will work.

Kamos

« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »
Hello!

I've been playing UB v19 and ran into a problem in the Boo's disappearance quest. The current situation is as follows:

- Minsc complained that Boo is missing and is currently debilitated (Str 10)
 - We've met Billy at the docks and he ran inside when Minsc recognized him
 - Inside the tavern, all Billy says is "I didn't do anything!" (something like that) over and over again, no matter who starts the talk

I've learned that Billy is supposed to run to the back of the tavern (toward 4 thugs). However, the thugs aren't there. Err... In fact, I'm pretty sure CHARNAME killed them earlier... (oops...) So, it seems that this might be the problem.

Question: is it possible to somehow jump directly to the next step of the quest? Or, perhaps, spawn those four bandits and re-start the situation?

Please, any help is much appreciated. I've never messed with BG2's scripting but if you have any ideas that I can try, toss 'em my way and I'll try to figure it out.

Offline Ishad Nha

• Planewalker
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2012, 10:32:17 PM »
Problem I struck with the latest version of Unfinished Business was due to a flaw in the script for AR0314.BCS: if you go there before Boo goes missing you crash the entire Boo quest. There is only one trigger, it does not check if Boo has gone missing:

IF
   Global("WWThugsExist","AR0314",0)
THEN
   RESPONSE #100
      SetGlobal("WWThugsExist","AR0314",1)
      CreateCreature("WWDelag",[698.271],11) // Delag
      CreateCreature("WWSten",[745.253],0) // Sten
      CreateCreature("WWEff",[633.324],5) // Eforf
      CreateCreature("WWVivi",[788.285],2) // Vivick
END

This means that the guys only appear once. Cut scene wwcut.bcs will crash if they are not there.
Solution is to use the Console and reset the global variable:
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("WWThugsExist","AR0314",0)

Console instructions below are from the IESDP resource:

"Activating the Console (BG2 / BG2:ToB)
Enable
Open the Baldur.ini file (located in the BG2 installaion directory).
Find the line [Program Options] and add the text Debug Mode=1 underneath.
Access
Create a new game / load a save game.
Press Ctrl and Space together.
CLUA commands can be entered in the editing area that appears at the bottom of the screen.
Commands must be prefixed with CLUAConsole: "

Cheats=1 may also be needed in the Baldur.ini file.

You may need to undo the death of the guys above. Near Infinity shows their death variables as: WWDel,WWSten,WWEff,WWVivi.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: