Author Topic: Minsc quest bugs - UB v12 onwards  (Read 104285 times)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: Bug reports - v15
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2006, 02:50:37 PM »
Now, I haven't played this version either, but from reading the posts here, it's pretty obvious that Smethy NOW screws up his teleportation and sends you on a pointless detour to the Druid Grove instead. Where the party is immediately confronted by three trolls running the faulty attack-overrides-die script.

So much I have gathered.

Not to be accusatory, but this component was updated without a test run, huh?

I'd assumed the creator would've tested it...

It's also worth noting that sending the player to the Druid Grove before they've visited Trademeet is generally Not A Good Thing. I would cast my vote for the previous behavior of the spell to be restored.

This sounds like it may be a good idea. I personally don't know what else may have changed in between versions, though, so it will require some digging to find out what actually needs to be done.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2006, 03:49:48 PM »
Sorry, there just does seem to have been some confusion as to exactly what's happening and whether or not UB causes it, and whether or not UB modders should be looking into fixing it./nagging  :)
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2006, 05:38:04 PM »
I am looking into fixing it, although I am trying to stop being confused first. It doesn't help that I didn't code the component, haven't played it and the coder has vanished! :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Lasivern

• Awful/Evil Monk
  • Planewalker
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2006, 09:43:12 PM »
I am looking into fixing it, although I am trying to stop being confused first. It doesn't help that I didn't code the component, haven't played it and the coder has vanished! :)

Well that's all anyone can ask - given the situation it is a more daunting task than normal.  Thanks for putting in the effort, it's appreciated.  :)

Offline Evilyn

• Planewalker
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2006, 01:33:59 PM »
If the G3 forum was up, I think you could find a report there that a few trolls were "unkillable" in the basic game, wearing "Imoen belts/rings" of some sort that the script failed to remove when they got clobbered enough to fall to the ground.

Then again, I could be wrong again. (Sorry - bad day...)

Nick

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2006, 11:54:24 PM »
I have to say I really, really dislike the stolen boo quest.  In fact, there is absolutely nothing I like about it.  It turns minsc into a complete weakling who can't even use his weapons or armor anymore, and all so you can get teleported to a quest-screwing-up location with unkillable trolls?  The dialogue is annoying and not in character, replacing minsc's responses with lame whines about missing boo in the dialogue box is just stupid, and if the idiot storekeeper has to teleport people in and out, how does he get customers?  Does he abduct nobles and sell them pets as their only means of escaping?  Should have used one of the many unopenable doors in the promenade as the store and saved us the trouble of this "wrong spell" shit.  I decidedly didn't turn on cheats in bg2 so I wouldn't be tempted to use them, ever.  And now I have to, because I'm stuck with unkillable trolls and I can't just abandon the quest because minsc becomes as weak as edwin. 

I recommend just stripping this pointless, stupid, game wrecking quest from the pack altogether.  There is nothing redeeming about it.  Even the names of the new characters are weird...efeth or something like that?

Offline Aragornchewi

• Belgian Child of Baal
  • Planewalker
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2006, 01:57:00 AM »
I have to say I really, really dislike the stolen boo quest.  In fact, there is absolutely nothing I like about it.  It turns minsc into a complete weakling who can't even use his weapons or armor anymore, and all so you can get teleported to a quest-screwing-up location with unkillable trolls?  The dialogue is annoying and not in character, replacing minsc's responses with lame whines about missing boo in the dialogue box is just stupid, and if the idiot storekeeper has to teleport people in and out, how does he get customers?  Does he abduct nobles and sell them pets as their only means of escaping?  Should have used one of the many unopenable doors in the promenade as the store and saved us the trouble of this "wrong spell" shit.  I decidedly didn't turn on cheats in bg2 so I wouldn't be tempted to use them, ever.  And now I have to, because I'm stuck with unkillable trolls and I can't just abandon the quest because minsc becomes as weak as edwin. 

I recommend just stripping this pointless, stupid, game wrecking quest from the pack altogether.  There is nothing redeeming about it.  Even the names of the new characters are weird...efeth or something like that?

Euh..... just don't install that quest if you don't like it at all ;)

Ith

Uninstalled Boo Quest
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2006, 09:49:25 PM »
The first time I ran this mini quest I thought it was fun, funny and got a nice little boost to Minsc for the suffering he went through. Then the next couple of times I ran into the 'unkillable trolls in the druid grove' bug caused by the goofy script error, and on top of that I read that Minsc's new thac0 has been completely and erroneously twinked after his 'improvement'.

I will not install this component ever again until these issues are fixed. The troll issue has been a problem for ever; why doesn't anyone address them?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
Re: Uninstalled Boo Quest
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2006, 12:17:46 PM »
We're looking into restoring the previous version of the component for the next UB, though I need to get in contact with the author of the component first. As for trolls, they're now addressed by the comprehensive fixpack at http://www.gibberlings3.net.

Offline scott3614a

• Planewalker
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2006, 11:33:40 PM »
To solve this problem, I haste, buff, turn off AI and run like hell to the East so the party can leave the area as fast as possible.

Offline scott3614a

• Planewalker
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2006, 11:45:55 PM »
Is there a quick patch that can be written, coded and released that will fix the unkillable trolls?
No shame in that, I think.
Otherwise, LOVE the mod, it has a lot of great content that fill in some blank spots in the game.

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2006, 03:19:46 AM »
Sorry guys, I've been totally neglecting Minsc and was unaware of this problem until ten minutes ago. When I have the time and the resources (such as a computer), I will fix this bug. 

Offline Kastor

• Planewalker
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2006, 03:58:43 PM »
Just to say I'm enjoying UB very much (thanks!) and all seems to run smoothly (cross fingers)...except for the Minsc quest (btw I find the dialogues really in character and incredibly funny) :unkillable trolls.

I too agree that maybe to be teleported to the grove is not a good idea as it screws the trademeet quest.

Keep up the good work! :)

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2006, 04:38:13 PM »
It doesn't necessarily mess up the trademeet quest. UB "Kidnapping of Boo" teleports you to the troll mound. You go in, get the 3 - 5 trolls (hope you aren't low level), and get north and west around the top edge of the mound as quickly as you can, and you'll be fine. Last time I played, Boo got kidnapped before I did the Druid grove quest, and it worked just fine.

BTW: with the new G3 fixpack, the trolls are killable.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2006, 05:05:27 AM »
Cliffette is removing the part involving going to the Druid Grove for the next version. :)

Offline whathuh

• Planewalker
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2006, 05:20:12 AM »
I played the boo quest back in v14, and was very surprised when I went through it this time.  I didn't catch that Smethy's real name was Smethyethyldiethylether.  Needless to say, I got a kick out of the isopropylbutanona cants.

The teleportation is also hilarious, and should definately be considered for future versions (I realize that it will definately be taken out).  Personally, I wouldn't mind a randomization of where to go.  If you make smethy tell you his real name, then you should always be teleported to the troll mound, but if you simply ask him to send you to the gov't district, he will randomly send you there, somewhere in athkatla, or, unluckily, the troll mound.  Perhaps that might just bee too much randomization and people would end up reloading.

I was disappointed when I didn't get my jewelry from Eleana this time, though I suppose it is kind of stupid that she would just give them ALL to you, and a bit overpowered.  I would absolutely love a bag of holding *hint hint*.  After all, Ioun stones don't fit in gem bags.

Finally, I think that Nalia should definately have something to say after Eleana gives her the emerald.  A certain B word comes to mind, at the very least.

Addition:  Pai'Na gives you a duplicate black spider figurine if you pickpocket it from her first, then complete the quest.  Maybe put it on her boots or something, rather than just create the duplicate.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 05:34:21 AM by whathuh »

Offline Kastor

• Planewalker
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2006, 05:43:46 AM »
I wonder,  if it's not too much trouble ,(as I do like the "oops wrong spell" thing ), if it wouldn't  be possible simply to choose a different location less quest related , possibly in an area presumably already accessible to the player (sewers,an empty house) ,with an appropriate encounter (thugs in a robbery,or something like that...)  :)

Cheers!

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2006, 05:28:28 AM »
We'd have to ask Cliffette, but that sounds to me like it could work. :)

Offline Ckaim

• Planewalker
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2006, 05:00:17 AM »
Well I seem to have a little problem all of a sudden. Played the game before also with UB and didn't really find anything which got me stuck, but this time I don't seem to get any futher with the quest where boo's missing. At a point I am being transferred to the Druid Cove and then Minsc tells to prepare for battle. After a sort while some Trolls come running at me and begin to attack me, then I get stuck: at a certain point while I'm fighting those trolls a druid comes out and warns me. He then takes his leave and I'm supposed to kills the trolls, only that doesn't seem possible. I keep attacking one for example with the whole party and there's no moment when the trolls starts to hit the floor so I can throw a fire spell or something at him.
I've never had this problem before, so I was wondering if someone perhaps has had the same problem and found something to do about it.

Offline Gorilym

• hyperbolic strawman
  • Planewalker
    • MacEasyTutu
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2006, 06:55:51 AM »
Those trolls being virtually unkillable is a known issue, and the most practical solution is to just run away from them (the nearest area exit is north of the Troll Mound).

Offline Q

• Planewalker
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2006, 06:03:22 PM »
The quest simply won't start. It's been a week since I entered the docks the first time (and gone in and out various times), but nothing happens. Though, if I try talking to Minsc I get a "Minsc appears busy" response. Could the two things be related?

DJ0207

« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2006, 01:10:06 PM »
I'm not sure but I think this has to do with UB.  I was on the hunt for boo with Minsc and while Boo was missing minsc happened to level up.  As I leveled him I eyed his stats warily seeing that his THAC0 had been reduced by 6 and his saving throws reduced by large amounts as well.  Once I had Boo returned to Minsc, his Base THAC0 dropped to -1 as  a level 13 ranger...Now I'm fairly sure this is not correct.  When Boo was removed did it hurt minsc's base thaco and throws?  His saving throw bases are also very low now...Is this intended or what's goin on?

Offline Elfen Lied

• Der Engel Des Todes
  • Planewalker
    • Diablo3.com
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »
the more he misses Boo the worse his stats, get, so you better find Boo quick!!!!
Gods in His Heaven, Alls right with the World.
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
Vi Veri Venivursum Vivus Vici - By the power of truth, i while living have conquered the Universe

Offline harbinger

• Planewalker
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2006, 09:30:24 AM »
We're looking into restoring the previous version of the component for the next UB, though I need to get in contact with the author of the component first. As for trolls, they're now addressed by the comprehensive fixpack at http://www.gibberlings3.net.

Is that correct? I'm currently experiencing the same problem (immortal trolls) and I have the fixpack installed. I just have to question why this segment was changed after finally getting it bug free?

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2006, 09:44:15 AM »
I have to chime in and say that, uh, I really think this could use fixing sooner rather than later. UB is a pretty premiere mod, and finding people all over the place who are having the same problem really isn't looking good. It doesn't take Cliffette to just fix the unkillable trolls.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: