Author Topic: Minsc quest bugs - UB v12 onwards  (Read 104281 times)

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
Minsc quest bugs - UB v12 onwards
« on: August 08, 2004, 12:56:05 AM »
Please report any bugs you find in the Minsc quest from version 12 of Unfinished Business here.
When reporting a bug, do be as specific as possible. Letting me know what the last line of dialogue was, or what action/choices you made - these details will really help me pinpoint what went wrong.

NB: Being unable to kill a certain snotty noblewoman is not a bug.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 01:14:12 AM by cliffette »

Offline Barren

• An almighty modder's sidekick!
  • Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
Re: Minsc quest bugs - UB v12 onwards
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 07:37:21 AM »
Just a small nitpick about the Readme: Nalia's aunt is called Delcia Caan, not Delcia De'Arnise!
Quote from: talia brie
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 07:40:31 AM »
Oops! That'll be changed for UBv13. Thanks. :)

Offline hlidskialf

• Owner of the first chair with an ale-fridge
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 04:05:24 PM »
NB: Being unable to kill a certain snotty noblewoman is not a bug.

Heh, that's why I always install a little custom-code. (Since I never keep Nalia.)
Code: [Select]

// New Trigger:
EXTEND_BOTTOM DELCIA 11 14
IF ~CheckStatGT(LastTalkedToBy,16,INT)~ THEN REPLY ~You are a textbook example of noble breeding. Or should I say inbreeding? Your lack of intellegence blinds you to the fact that the skills of leadership come from a combination of the innate and environment that lie outside the sphere of the "noble" as often as within.~ GOTO TheBitch1
END

// New reply block:
APPEND DELCIA
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN TheBitch1 // From 14.0 11.0
  SAY ~How dare you say such a thing! How dare you compare one with my blood to the blood of the great unwashed!~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Indeed, your blood comes from the same stock. Your "noble" ancestor was little more than a lucky bandit who managed to stay alive long enough to amass some wealth. I daresaymy holdings in Baldur's Gate could buy and sell your lands a dozen times over.~ GOTO TheBitch2
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN TheBitch2
  SAY ~I will Ignore the insult to the first Lord of this keep you just made, as you are too uneducated to know of the breeding and culture instilled in my line since then. Things you so apparently lack.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~ I was raised in a center of learning. Your education has revealed itself as little more than a joke. As for comparing bloodlines, heh, mine contains the truely divine. But enough debate with the narrowminded, feel free to use your "superior ability" to find your way out. There are no beasts, merely your keep's own defences between here and the exit now.~ GOTO TheBitch3
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN TheBitch3
  SAY ~Your uncouth dialog convinces me that nobility cannot be explained or taught, merely displayed. I will leave you now.~
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("DelceaMove","GLOBAL",1)
ActionOverride("kpsold01",EscapeArea())
SetGlobal("DelciaLeave","GLOBAL",1)
MoveToPoint([372.1065])
ReallyForceSpell(Myself,TRAP_ARROW_SLAYING)
Kill(Myself)
~ UNSOLVED_JOURNAL ~The de'Arnise Keep has been invaded.

Nalia's aunt, Lady Delcia, had been rescued.  She has attempted to leave the keep on her own, now that I have cleared the path.  The fact that she was too stupid to do so without killing herself via the keep's original defenses I believe proves my point about noble inbreeding. Heh!~ EXIT
END
END

;D
Unknown to most, hlidskialf is the first incarnation of the eternal warrior with a beer fridge in his chair.

Offline Nukenin

• Sennin
  • Planewalker
  • Chaos Never Died
    • Rogue Bard
Major (and minor) Minsc quest bugs (possible spoilers)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 06:40:57 PM »
Some folks doing the Minsc quest in the past have reported seeing unusually low THAC0 and natural ACs for Minsc once (the real) Boo has been returned to him.  This is due to the "WWBOO.SPL" spell being applied to Minsc twice--this results in Minsc having a THAC0 +5 better than he should (e.g. 7 instead of 12 for a 9th level Minsc), and a natural (armorless) AC of 5 (3 with the +2 bonus granted by his default 16 dexterity) instead of 10 (8 w/ his dex bonus).

Minsc already is rewarded enough by the strength boost the quest grants him (19, up slightly from his original 18/93), IMHO.  While some folks might not mind Minsc being excessively rewarded with the THAC0 bonus (and natural AC, though since Minsc is usually armoured that's not as much of an issue), my protagonist (ever in a race with Minsc to see who gets the most kills) does.  Therefore, I've fixed this problem (see below for the patch).  Note that I haven't tested all possible paths in which Boo is restored to Minsc--this only resolves the problem as it occurred after answering the riddles at least somewhat correctly.

In exploring the THAC0 discrepancies, I noticed that some of the gem rewards erroneously listed "MINC34" instead of "MISC34" for the garnet stone.  Methinks someone was typing M I N S C a lot during the writing of this quest.  :)  I've addressed these also in my patch below.

The second patch below is to the setup file--if you achieved the best reward, Minsc gained a special ability, titled "".  :)  I've patched the setup file to properly assign the intended name for this ability.

This forum system doesn't seem to like lines in code blocks with single spaces at the beginning, but those lines are merely contextual anyway--for those unfamiliar with this style of contextual diff, the changes are denoted by the "-" (old line) and "+" (new line) characters appearing at the beginning of a line.

Hope this helps!  Now I can get back to my game without worrying about Minsc being a little too good after his reunification with Boo.  :)

Boo Restoration (and Garnet) fixes:
--- ub/Minsc/Dialogue/wwminscub.d-orig Wed Jun 16 23:25:10 2004
+++ ub/Minsc/Dialogue/wwminscub.d Thu Aug 12 18:01:37 2004
@@ -643,7 +643,7 @@
 = @168
 IF ~~ THEN DO ~GiveItemCreate("HELM19",Player1,0,0,0)   // Ioun
  GiveItemCreate("MISC36",Player1,0,0,0)   // Pearl
- GiveItemCreate("MINC34",Player1,0,0,0)  // Garnet
+ GiveItemCreate("MISC34",Player1,0,0,0)  // Garnet
  GiveItemCreate("MISC42",Player1,0,0,0)  // Diamond
  GiveItemCreate("AMUL12",Player1,0,0,0)  // Laeral's tear
  GiveItemCreate("MISC41",Player1,0,0,0) // Sapphire
@@ -656,7 +656,7 @@
 = @168
  GiveItemCreate("MISC43",Player1,0,0,0)  // Emerald
  GiveItemCreate("AMUL12",Player1,0,0,0)  // Laeral's tear
@@ -668,7 +668,7 @@
 = @177
  GiveItemCreate("MISC43",Player1,0,0,0)  // Emerald
  GiveItemCreate("MISC41",Player1,0,0,0) // Sapphire
@@ -685,7 +685,7 @@

IF ~~ Rewards
 SAY @180
-IF ~!G("WWEllyQuestions",0)~ THEN DO ~ActionOverride("Minsc",ReallyForceSpellRES("wwboo",Myself))~ EXTERN WWELLE NotAFool
+IF ~!G("WWEllyQuestions",0)~ THEN EXTERN WWELLE NotAFool
 IF ~G("WWEllyQuestions",0)~ THEN EXTERN WWELLE CompleteFool
 END

"Summon Boolet" ability name fix:
--- setup-ub.tp2-orig Fri Aug  6 21:26:28 2004
+++ setup-ub.tp2 Thu Aug 12 18:37:17 2004
@@ -113,8 +113,8 @@
      ~ub/Minsc/Cre/wwarro2.cre~   ~Override/wwarro2.cre~ SAY NAME1 @9  SAY NAME2 @9
 COPY ~ub/Minsc/Cre/wwrati.cre~    ~Override/wwrati.cre~  SAY NAME1 @10 SAY NAME2 @10
 COPY ~ub/Minsc/items~   ~Override~
-COPY ~ub/Minsc/Items/wwblet.spl~  ~Override/wwblet.spl~
-     ~ub/Minsc/Items/wwboo.spl~   ~Override/wwboo.spl~
+COPY ~ub/Minsc/Items/wwblet.spl~  ~Override/wwblet.spl~ SAY ~0x08~ @11  SAY ~0x50~ @11
+COPY ~ub/Minsc/Items/wwboo.spl~   ~Override/wwboo.spl~
      ~ub/Minsc/Items/wwfboo.spl~  ~Override/wwfboo.spl~
      ~ub/Minsc/Items/wwnoboo.spl~ ~Override/wwnoboo.spl~ SAY ~0x08~ @12  SAY ~0x50~ @12
 COPY ~ub/Minsc/Items/wwnboo.itm~  ~Override/wwnboo.itm~  SAY NAME1 @13 SAY NAME2 @13 SAY DESC @14
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 06:44:41 PM by Nukenin »
--/\/

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 02:58:38 AM »
Nukenin, you have my eternal gratitude. :)

Offline Rathwellin the Bard

• Owl Sage
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 08:10:12 AM »
Hmm.  In my game Minsc already had 19 Str before he started the quest.  I had played TuTu first & there had given him the book of Str.  Had I done Watcher's Keep in in Chapter 2 it's possible that he could have had 20 or even 21 Str (Lum's Machine & Deck of Many Things).  Even had I not bumped him myself it' theoretically possible for his Str to already be 20 before the quest.

Are you trying to bump him up or just set it to 19?
Faith is a candle to reason's sun.
No one needs a candle until the darkness falls....

Offline Nukenin

• Sennin
  • Planewalker
  • Chaos Never Died
    • Rogue Bard
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 10:19:16 AM »
Nukenin, you have my eternal gratitude. :)
No problem!  It's an enjoyable quest; I just want to make sure Minsc doesn't reap too much in the way of reward out of so carelessly losing his Boo. :)

Hmm.  In my game Minsc already had 19 Str before he started the quest.  I had played TuTu first & there had given him the book of Str.  Had I done Watcher's Keep in in Chapter 2 it's possible that he could have had 20 or even 21 Str (Lum's Machine & Deck of Many Things).  Even had I not bumped him myself it' theoretically possible for his Str to already be 20 before the quest.

Are you trying to bump him up or just set it to 19?
This may be reason enough to just have Minsc' STR be decremented by 8 at the onset of the quest and then incremented by 9 upon successful resolution.  Not every player has the protagonist hog the STR gains found throughout the game.  :)

Currently the spell effect that "debilitates" Minsc sets his STR to 60% of its current value, which works out to 10 from the 18/93 base.  But the spell that "rehabilitates" Minsc sets his STR directly to 19 (or just back to 18/93 if you use a fake Boo).

When I first ran the quest and, one Crooked Crane lich kill and one Umar Hills roaming later, realized Minsc had an insane THAC0, I thought maybe I'd glitched the quest since he had been wearing the Belt of Hill Giant Strength at the time (I was using him to hold it for Valygar or Mazzy).  That's what led me to figure out why the inordinate THAC0 boost was occurring.

Of course, now I need to kill that @#$%^&* lich again.  (I'd had Yoshimo steal Daystar without turning the lich red using aggressive pause/rehide techniques, but I couldn't leave that lich lurking below the innocent Inn patrons, especially with that secret door left wide open.  :) )  Unfortunately he proved a bear for me to kill using cheeseless techniques.  I finally resorted to using two scrolls of protection from fire (gained as random loot, not bought) to render my protagonist immune to his fire shield, so I could then just bash away hasted and eventually clobber him (using Daystar's Sunray too to soften him up of course).  For some reason he just was being stubborn about dying until I used those prot fire scrolls.  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 10:23:52 AM by Nukenin »
--/\/

Frank

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 12:19:49 AM »
I've left the dock area, for 5 days came back and
I still can't get the kid (Billy) to say anything but "I didn't do nothing! Nothing at all! Go away!".
Actually once earlier, I think he told me had 1 gold piece and he bet I didn't, or something like that.

What to do?

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 02:04:39 AM »
Has the quest begun yet? You have to leave the Docks area one more time, and Minsc will discover that Boo is missing.

The only other thing I can think of is that you're playing with UB version that is lower than 12. There were problems with the older versions.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 02:06:23 AM by cliffette »

Frank

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 08:16:06 AM »
I double checked - it's UnfinishedBusiness12.exe.

And poor Boo has been missing for awhile. I've left and came back to the docks a few times.

One thing I'm wondering - I did install this after the game was underway (although still chapter 1, or early in chapter 2) - not sure if that is the problem but I read somewhere that might not've been a good idea.

Would hate to have to re-start at this point. Is there any option, other than dropping Minsc?  :(

thanks for any help.

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 02:54:00 PM »
THEY STOLE BOO NOOOOOOOOOOO

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 05:38:33 PM »
Oops - the advice before was only relevant if Boo hadn't gone missing yet.

I think the solution here then is to set the following globals via the CLUA console (don't forget to set the LOCALS on with the cursor over Billy):

G("WWBooGone",1)
   Global("WWBillyBackupText","LOCALS",0)

After that, talk to Billy and it should work. :)

Frank

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 07:19:00 PM »
ok - figured out how to get CLUA started, but not sure how to set the locals on.
Knowing nothing, I tried anyway - highlighted Billy with the mouse and tried "LOCALS=1"

Both before and after I did that I get:

Iua: call expression not a function
Active Stack:
Active Stack:

Not sure what that means. I'm sure I'm making a basic mistake.

Frank

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 07:20:37 PM »
What I mean above is, I get the

Iua: call expression not a function
Active Stack:
Active Stack:

message whenever I try to enter either of these lines from CLUA
   G("WWBooGone",1)
   Global("WWBillyBackupText","LOCALS",0)

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 07:39:53 PM »
Oops - I'll be more specific..

You use this command in the CLUA console:
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("WWBooGone","GLOBAL",1)

For the following command, make sure the cursor is over Billy. You don't have to click on him... just make sure he is under the cursor:
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("WWBillyBackupText","LOCALS",0)

Frank

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 08:01:22 PM »
I did that and no error messages this time. However Billy still won't talk.
I left the district for 3 days and came back, still no go.

Not sure what's wrong.

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »
I don't know either. The installation shouldn't have affected anything.

Ok, try:

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("WWBILLY")

This will create another instance of Billy... maybe he will work properly. Make sure you're just outside the Sea's Bounty though.

If that still doesn't work, then the following hopefully will.
Go inside the Sea's Bounty (the top floor)
Use the command above to create an instance of Billy inside.
Then use the following commands to set a couple of globals. This should continue the quest.

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("WWHelpFindBoo","GLOBAL",10)
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("WWBillySeen","GLOBAL",2)

If that doesn't work, kill off the four thugs, Vivick, Sten, Eforf and Delag, who are hanging around the back of the inn. Make sure Minsc is in your party, and Billy should offer to lead you to a pet shop. 

Otherwise, you're looking at having to go back to a saved game... but I don't get what happened. You can email the current, non-working savegame to me if you want (preferably one before you made any changes to the globals), and I can take a look at it. supercliffette / at / yahoo/ . com/ .au  (remove slashes and spaces, etc) :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 08:27:54 PM by cliffette »

Frank

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 09:49:35 PM »
Step 1 above did the trick! Thank you!!!

Frank

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 10:28:28 PM »
1 last thing, I do so however that after I've reunited Minsc with Boo, that he does have an abnormally high THAC0.
Right now it's:
Base THAC0 = 0 (lvl 10 Ranger, STR 19)

I read the above post about fixing that (and the garnet stone) but I'm not sure how to apply/where to put the code...or any other way to go about fixing this (haven't used but have heard of Shadowkeeper which seems like it might be able to do something like that).

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 10:33:14 PM »
Shadowkeeper's probably the easiest way. I'm glad that was resolved! *wipes forehead*

If anybody else runs into a problem like this, please let me know.. it's a worry!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 10:09:05 PM by cliffette »

Offline Guyh27

• Planewalker
Re: Bug Reports - v13
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 09:54:37 PM »
Well i'm not sure if this was a problem in the last version but i was in the middle of the minsc and boo quest and i installed v13. I finished the quest and got boo back by killing the guards but in the diologue box it still has minsc talking about missing boo.  his strength has gone to 19 and it even says in the journal that the quest is completed. any suggestions?

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
Re: Bug Reports - v13
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2004, 10:07:03 PM »
I thought I'd squished that bug.. but back to it. Thanks.

Cantrip

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 03:41:15 AM »
I go to the docks after minsc says boo is missing, but I can't find billy or anybody else to help me...
I do find the four thugs, though - they don't provoke an attack.  :'(

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2004, 03:53:17 AM »
Billy is kind of easy to miss in the newer version as you have to click on him to continue the quest (the thugs won't say anything useful until you've had a word with Billy). Billy's a kid in orange shorts just outside the Sea's Bounty Tavern.

If he isn't there, try the following command in the CLUA console:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("WWBillyExists","AR0300",0)

Or if that doesn't work, then
CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("WWBILLY")
should work.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: